|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Meursault's view from his cell?
(a) The mountains and darkness.
(b) A small glimpse of the dirt outside the window.
(c) The water and the changing shades of sunlight.
(d) A dark wall with water dripping down it.
2. How does Meursault perceive being deprived of things after several months in prison?
(a) As a reward.
(b) As necessary.
(c) As a punishment.
(d) As normal.
3. What does Meursault notice about the jury and pressmen in the courtroom?
(a) He notices their eyes on him.
(b) He notices their lack of attention.
(c) He notices that they are squinting.
(d) He notices their distant looks.
4. How does Meursault feel when he thinks the thoughts of a free man?
5. What distracts Meursault when Marie comes to visit him in prison?
(a) His upcoming death.
(b) His unshavenness.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) The noise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true about how Meursault has handled prison conditions?
2. On the day of his trial, where is Meursault taken in handcuffs?
3. The injuries that Raymond receives from the knife fight can be described by which of the following words?
4. How many times does Marie visit Meursault in prison?
5. What does the prosecutor say about Meursault's intelligence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Raymond, Masson, and Meursault do immediately after the knife fight on the beach?
2. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
3. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
4. When does the local magistrate first interview Meursault and in what is he most interested?
5. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
6. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
7. Describe the fight that Raymond and the others have with the Arabs at the beach.
8. Describe what Meursault notices as he is placed in the interrogation room for the first time?
9. Whose testimony is last and how does this testimony go?
10. What question does the magistrate ask Meursault in which he is not satisfied with the response?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)