|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who reads the witness list in the courtroom?
(a) Meursault's attorney.
(b) The first witness.
(c) The guard.
(d) The magistrate.
2. What is Meursault's sentence?
(a) Life in prison.
(b) A long prison sentence.
(c) Death by hanging.
(d) Death by guillotine.
3. How do the authorities feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
(a) They expected it.
(b) They are astonished.
(c) They think he is a demon.
(d) They find it normal.
4. When Meursault enters the courtroom, what is he overcome by?
(a) The cold temperature and darkness.
(b) The show of support by his friends.
(c) People shouting for his beheading.
(d) The sun shining through the blinds.
5. When does the local magistrate question Meursault?
(a) The day of the interrogation.
(b) The day after his attorney arrives.
(c) The day after the chaplain visits.
(d) The day before the trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Raymond, Meursault, and Masson are walking, who slashes Raymond on his arms and lips with a knife?
2. When he is led back into the courtroom, what does Meursault notice?
3. How do the people in the courtroom feel about what Meursault says in his own defense?
4. How does Meursault perceive being deprived of things after several months in prison?
5. How does the magistrate feel about Meursault's answer to the question of why he hesitated before firing four more shots into the Arab's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose testimony is last and how does this testimony go?
2. Describe the fight that Raymond and the others have with the Arabs at the beach.
3. What do Meursault, Marie, and Raymond spend the morning doing after arriving at the beach house?
4. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
5. What does Meursault miss in prison and what does the guard have to say about this?
6. Whose testimony seems the most damaging and why?
7. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
8. What question does the magistrate ask Meursault in which he is not satisfied with the response?
9. Describe the physical attributes of the visiting room at the prison.
10. How do Meursault's feelings about God and repentance compare to other people in his situation?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)