|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the authorities feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
(a) They expected it.
(b) They are astonished.
(c) They think he is a demon.
(d) They find it normal.
2. After asking Meursault to confirm his identity, what question does the Magistrate ask him?
(a) Why he wrote the letter for Raymond.
(b) Why he is in prison.
(c) Why he killed the Arab.
(d) Why he sent his mother to the nursing home.
3. After enduring many interrogations, how does Meursault feel about his surroundings?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He longs to escape them.
(c) He feels as if he is part of a family.
(d) He misses Marie.
4. Which of the following statements about Meursault and repentance are correct?
(a) Meursault has already repented.
(b) Meursault is not ready to repent until proven guilty.
(c) Meursault would repent if he was guilty.
(d) Meursault shows no desire to repent.
5. Who prepares lunch at the beach house?
(a) Masson's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Meursault and Raymond return to the cottage, why does Meursault not come up the steps?
2. What does Salamano say in his testimony?
3. When Raymond and Meursault encounter the two Arabs, what results from them staring each other down with their weapons?
4. What method of transportation do Meursault, Raymond, and Marie take to the beach house?
5. How does Meursault's attorney feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
2. Whose testimony seems the most damaging and why?
3. How do Meursault's feelings about God and repentance compare to other people in his situation?
4. As the trial progresses, how does Meursault handle the trial and why?
5. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
6. Describe the fight that Raymond and the others have with the Arabs at the beach.
7. Who does Meursault's attorney talk to and what does he find when he investigates Meursault's background?
8. When Meursault's attorney first arrives, what does he notice about Meursault and how does this affect him?
9. Describe Marie's visit to the prison.
10. What do Meursault, Marie, and Raymond spend the morning doing after arriving at the beach house?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)