|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Masson is helping Raymond attend to his injuries, what does Meursault do?
(a) Returns to tell the women what happened.
(b) Stays with Raymond.
(c) Calls Raymond's mother.
(d) Goes back to his apartment.
2. Prior to the trial, how does Meursault perceive the case against him?
(d) Not complicated.
3. How do the authorities around him respond to Meursault's lack of spirituality?
(a) They physically injure him.
(b) They avoid discussing religion.
(c) They coddle him.
(d) They persecute him.
4. What does Meursault notice about the jury and pressmen in the courtroom?
(a) He notices their lack of attention.
(b) He notices their eyes on him.
(c) He notices their distant looks.
(d) He notices that they are squinting.
5. How does Meursault react to his friends in the courtroom?
(a) He hugs each of them.
(b) He doesn't notice them.
(c) He waves at them.
(d) He doesn't acknowledge them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true about most of the statements by the prosecutor in court?
2. How many times does Marie visit Meursault in prison?
3. When does the local magistrate question Meursault?
4. When Raymond and Meursault return to the beach after Raymond is injured, what does Raymond ask Meursault if he should do?
5. How does Meursault express his regret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Meursault's attorney talk to and what does he find when he investigates Meursault's background?
2. Describe Marie's visit to the prison.
3. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
4. How do Meursault's feelings about God and repentance compare to other people in his situation?
5. When Meursault's attorney first arrives, what does he notice about Meursault and how does this affect him?
6. Whose testimony is last and how does this testimony go?
7. What does Meursault notice as he is led into the courtroom?
8. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
9. As the trial progresses, how does Meursault handle the trial and why?
10. What do Meursault, Marie, and Raymond spend the morning doing after arriving at the beach house?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)