|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Meursault feel about Marie's attempts to instill hope?
(a) They feel pathetic.
(b) They are comforting.
(c) They are rude.
(d) They are torture to him.
2. Why does Meursault feel sleepy and dizzy walking after lunch at the beach house?
(a) He has had too much wine and it is hot.
(b) He drank too much salt water.
(c) He has a stomach virus.
(d) He is nervous about marrying Marie.
3. What blinds Meursault before he shoots the Arab?
(a) The Arab stabbing him.
(b) A punch from behind.
(c) The sun light off the water.
(d) The sun light off of a knife.
4. After asking Meursault to confirm his identity, what question does the Magistrate ask him?
(a) Why he wrote the letter for Raymond.
(b) Why he killed the Arab.
(c) Why he is in prison.
(d) Why he sent his mother to the nursing home.
5. The injuries that Raymond receives from the knife fight can be described by which of the following words?
(c) Life threatening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method of transportation do Meursault, Raymond, and Marie take to the beach house?
2. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
3. While Raymond, Meursault, and Masson are walking, who slashes Raymond on his arms and lips with a knife?
4. What type of case is to follow Meursault's in court?
5. How many times does Meursault shoot the Arab?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Meursault's attorney talk to and what does he find when he investigates Meursault's background?
2. What does Meursault miss in prison and what does the guard have to say about this?
3. Describe the physical attributes of the visiting room at the prison.
4. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
5. As the trial progresses, how does Meursault handle the trial and why?
6. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
7. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
8. What question does the magistrate ask Meursault in which he is not satisfied with the response?
9. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
10. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)