|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what type of information is the magistrate most interested?
(a) Meursault's personal life.
(b) Meursault's friends.
(c) The details of the crime.
(d) The Arab's personal life.
2. What is Meursault looking for when he finds the Arab man lying near the water?
(a) A sand castle.
(b) The beach house.
(c) A stream.
(d) A place to sleep.
3. On the day of his trial, where does Meursault wait for his trial to begin?
(a) In the back of the courtroom.
(b) In his cell.
(c) In a holding room.
(d) In an alley way.
4. When does prison seem most harsh to Meursault?
(a) At night.
(b) In the evening.
(c) During the afternoon.
(d) In the morning.
5. What mindset does Meursault resign himself to in prison?
(a) That of a prisoner.
(b) That of a believer.
(c) That of a guard.
(d) That of a free man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distracts Meursault when Marie comes to visit him in prison?
2. Of which of the following materials is the beach house made?
3. With whom does Meursault share a cell?
4. What blinds Meursault before he shoots the Arab?
5. Of what implications of his actions does Meursault seem most aware?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the trial progresses, how does Meursault handle the trial and why?
2. Describe the physical attributes of the visiting room at the prison.
3. What does Meursault notice as he is led into the courtroom?
4. Whose testimony seems the most damaging and why?
5. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
6. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
7. Describe Marie's visit to the prison.
8. For what means does the prosecutor state that Meursault is an intelligent man?
9. What do Raymond, Masson, and Meursault do immediately after the knife fight on the beach?
10. As Meursault, Marie, and Raymond travel to the bus stop, who do they see and what comes of the encounter?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)