|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the women do while the men take a walk after lunch at the beach house?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Sit and drink wine.
(c) Go for a walk.
(d) Clean the dishes.
2. In the interrogation room, which of the following does Meursault notice?
(c) The pretty policewoman.
(d) The grime.
3. What distracts Meursault when Marie comes to visit him in prison?
(a) The noise.
(b) His unshavenness.
(c) His upcoming death.
(d) Her beauty.
4. While Raymond, Meursault, and Masson are walking, who slashes Raymond on his arms and lips with a knife?
(c) The Arab that has been stalking him.
(d) A man he does not recognize.
5. What does Perez testify about in court?
(a) That Meursault killed the Arab.
(b) That Meursault's mother beat him.
(c) That Meursault did not cry at his mother's funeral.
(d) That Meursault was comforting to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Raymond testifies, for what is he criticized?
2. How does Meursault express his regret?
3. What mindset does Meursault resign himself to in prison?
4. When does prison seem most harsh to Meursault?
5. Which of the following is true about most of the statements by the prosecutor in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose testimony is last and how does this testimony go?
2. Who does Meursault's attorney talk to and what does he find when he investigates Meursault's background?
3. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
4. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
5. What can Meursault see outside his prison cell?
6. When does the local magistrate first interview Meursault and in what is he most interested?
7. Describe the physical attributes of the visiting room at the prison.
8. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
9. What does the magistrate question Meursault about and what is Meursault's answer?
10. Describe what Meursault notices as he is placed in the interrogation room for the first time?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)