|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mode of transportation does Meursault take to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
2. What do Meursault and the odd woman talk about during dinner?
(a) They talk about Marie.
(b) They talk about the job in Paris.
(c) They do not engage in conversation.
(d) They talk about death.
3. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, where does he eat lunch?
(a) As a friend's house.
(b) At Celeste's.
(c) At the pub.
(d) At his apartment.
4. About what time does Salamano reminisce with Meursault?
(a) When Meursault was a single man.
(b) When Meursault's mother lived with him.
(c) When Meursault had a cat.
(d) When Meursault and Salamano went to the beach.
5. In reaction to news that his mother has died, how many days does Meursault ask off from his job?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
2. Immediately after lunch on his first day back to work, where does Meursault go?
3. How do the other tenants respond to the commotion in Raymond's apartment?
4. Who accompanies Raymond to the police station as a witness?
5. Why doesn't Salamano want to check the pound for his dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
2. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
3. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
4. Why does Meursault's employer chastise Meursault?
5. After spending the night together the weekend after Meursault's first week back at work, what do Meursault and Marie talk about and what is his response?
6. While Meursault considers the boiled potatoes he will have for dinner, who invites him for dinner and what is this person's appearance?
7. Describe Meursault's experience washing his hands in the office when he returns to work.
8. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
9. What accommodations does Meursault ask his employer to make when he finds out his mother has died and how does the employer react?
10. Describe the conversation that Meursault and Marie have about the job offer.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)