|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
(a) Because Paris is a lively city for a young man.
(b) Because people in Paris will understand Meursault.
(c) Because Meursault needs to get away from his surroundings.
(d) Because Meursault is the only employee fluent in French.
2. What mode of transportation does Meursault take to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
3. What else does Meursault believe has changed with his mother's death?
(b) His mental stablity.
(c) His dependence on family.
(d) His love for Marie.
4. Who comes to the morgue and stays with Meursault throughout the night?
(a) His mother's friends from the nursing home.
(b) His friend from home.
(c) No one.
(d) His brother.
5. Why does Meursault take so much pleasure in washing his hands on the morning he returns to work?
(a) The warmth of the water reminds him of Marie.
(b) The towel hasn't yet gotten too wet from daily use.
(c) The sound of the running water reminds him of the beach.
(d) He is up from his desk and avoiding work.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day that Meursault and Marie become engaged, where does Meursault eat dinner?
2. What did the neighbors say when Meursault put his mother in the home?
3. After the day of the funeral, where does Meursault meet Marie?
4. What does Raymond plan on doing when his mistress returns?
5. How does Meursault react to the people who are visibly grieving his mother's death at the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
2. Where does Meursault eat on his first day back to work after his mother's funeral and what does he do after lunch?
3. What does the magistrate question Meursault about and what is Meursault's answer?
4. Describe Meursault's dinner at Celeste's when Marie cannot meet him for dinner?
5. How does Meursault respond to the magistrate's question about whether he has anything to say in his own defense and how does the jury interpret his response?
6. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
7. Describe Meursault's preparations before boarding the bus to his mother's funeral.
8. What does Meursault miss in prison and what does the guard have to say about this?
9. Describe the conversation that Raymond and Meursault have with Salamano about his missing dog.
10. Why does Meursault's employer chastise Meursault?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)