|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marie feel about the job Meursault was offered in Paris?
(a) It intrigues her.
(b) She is glad he turned it down.
(c) She thinks the employer is trying to get rid of him.
(d) It upsets her.
2. Which of the following phrases describes Meursault's behavior at his mother's funeral?
(a) Obviously anxious.
(b) Marked by anger.
(c) Full of visible grief.
(d) Displaying little emotion.
3. What does Meursault see people doing as he sits by the window during the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
(a) Going to church.
(b) Chasing their dogs and yelling at their children.
(c) Taking strolls and meeting friends at the cafe.
(d) Swimming in the tides.
4. How does the policeman respond to Raymond's verbal abuse when the police come to his home?
(a) By pushing him to the ground.
(b) With a slap.
(c) By threatening him with a gun.
(d) By handcuffing him.
5. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. After his first week back at work after his mother's death, where does Meursault spend time with Marie?
2. What does Meursault hear through his walls after talking to Salamano about the missing dog?
3. Why is Raymond's hand bandaged when Meursault comes over for dinner?
4. As the police leave Raymond's home, what do they tell Raymond to do?
5. When Meursault returns to his job, how does he approach the work that has piled up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the purpose of the letter that Meursault agrees to write for Raymond.
2. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
3. How does Meursault spend the morning of the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
4. Describe Raymond and Meursault's night after they go to the police station together?
5. How does Meursault respond when Marie asks him to marry her and how does he feel about the question?
6. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
7. Describe the conversation that Meursault and Marie have about the job offer.
8. Where does Meursault go after the funeral and what does he plan to do there?
9. Where does Meursault meet Marie on the day after his mother's funeral and what do they spend the day doing?
10. While Meursault considers the boiled potatoes he will have for dinner, who invites him for dinner and what is this person's appearance?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)