|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, where does he eat lunch?
(a) As a friend's house.
(b) At his apartment.
(c) At the pub.
(d) At Celeste's.
2. What does Meursault hear through his walls after talking to Salamano about the missing dog?
(a) The dog barking.
(b) A gunshot.
(c) Salamano arguing with someone.
(d) Salamano's cries.
3. When Raymond opens his door during the commotion, what is obvious?
(a) That he and his mistress were physically fighting.
(b) That much of the furniture has been damaged.
(c) That his mistress and him were having a nonviolent disagreement.
(d) That there was a robbery.
4. How does Meursault show grief the weekend following his mother's death?
(a) By returning to her favorite places.
(b) By avoiding people.
(c) Through his interactions with friends.
(d) He doesn't.
5. Why does Meursault refuse to call the police when the commotion is going on in Raymond's apartment?
(a) Because Marie is a fugitive.
(b) Because Meursault has warrants out for him.
(c) Because Meursault does not like policemen.
(d) Because Raymond is his friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Raymond tense before going to the beach house?
2. How old does Meursault say that his mother was at the time of her death?
3. As the police leave Raymond's home, what do they tell Raymond to do?
4. How does Meursault interpret his employer's response to his mother's death?
5. How does Marie feel about the job Meursault was offered in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Meursault alone on the beach after the day he has spent with Raymond and other friends at the beach house?
2. Describe the fight that Raymond and the others have with the Arabs at the beach.
3. Whose testimony seems the most damaging and why?
4. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
5. What is Meursault's mindset by the time Marie comes to visit him and why?
6. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
7. Describe Meursault's dinner at Celeste's when Marie cannot meet him for dinner?
8. Describe Meursault's realization about punishment.
9. Describe the fictional method of execution that Meursault designs to leave room for escape.
10. Where does Meursault meet Marie on the day after his mother's funeral and what do they spend the day doing?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)