|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following items does Meursault borrow from a friend before traveling to his mother's funeral?
(b) A watch.
(c) A black tie.
(d) A suit.
2. What does Marie think of the lunch that Meursault cooks for her?
(a) She thinks that it is wonderful.
(b) She says she isn't hungry and doesn't eat it.
(c) She thinks that it is adequate.
(d) She thinks that it is terrible.
3. When Meursault returns home after dinner with the odd woman, what news does Salamano give him about the dog?
(a) The dog is in the pound.
(b) The dog is back home.
(c) The dog has not returned.
(d) The dog is sick.
4. How does Meursault view Raymond's desire to be his friend?
(a) As kind.
(b) As fake.
(c) As odd.
(d) As unrealistic.
5. What does Raymond say regarding Meursault's mother's death?
(a) It was bound to happen one day.
(b) It is a sad occasion which Meursault should never forget.
(c) It is an excuse for Meursault to become a criminal.
(d) It should prevent Meursault from going to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the day of the funeral, where does Meursault meet Marie?
2. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, who does he meet for lunch?
3. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
4. How do the people in the neighborhood typically respond to Salamano?
5. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Meursault stay during his night in the village where his mother had lived and who stays with him?
2. What are Salamano's thoughts on Meursault sending his mother to the home?
3. Describe Meursault's experience washing his hands in the office when he returns to work.
4. Who is Salamano and how do his neighbors respond to him?
5. When Raymond opens the door for the police, what does the policeman discover and who else is observing the situation?
6. While Meursault considers the boiled potatoes he will have for dinner, who invites him for dinner and what is this person's appearance?
7. When Marie and Meursault hear a raucous disturbance coming from Raymond's apartment, what does Marie asks Meursault to do? How does he respond and why?
8. How does Meursault's acknowledgment that his mother's funeral was the day before affect Marie and what observations does she make regarding his treatment of his mother's death?
9. Describe the conversation that Meursault and Marie have about the job offer.
10. What accommodations does Meursault ask his employer to make when he finds out his mother has died and how does the employer react?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)