|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does prison seem most harsh to Meursault?
(a) In the evening.
(b) During the afternoon.
(c) At night.
(d) In the morning.
2. How are Marie and Meursault physically situated when she comes to visit him in prison?
(a) They sit close to each other, embracing.
(b) They are separated by a divider.
(c) They purposely sit apart from each other.
(d) She sits in his lap.
3. How does Meursault feel about Marie's attempts to instill hope?
(a) They are comforting.
(b) They feel pathetic.
(c) They are rude.
(d) They are torture to him.
4. What has Meursault's attorney told him about the trial?
(a) It will take several weeks.
(b) It is expected to be record breaking.
(c) It will be canceled.
(d) It should be relatively brief.
5. What blinds Meursault before he shoots the Arab?
(a) The Arab stabbing him.
(b) A punch from behind.
(c) The sun light off the water.
(d) The sun light off of a knife.
6. What is Meursault's sentence?
(a) A long prison sentence.
(b) Death by hanging.
(c) Death by guillotine.
(d) Life in prison.
7. How do the authorities feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
(a) They are astonished.
(b) They think he is a demon.
(c) They find it normal.
(d) They expected it.
8. When Meursault finds the Arab man next to the water, how does the Arab react?
(a) He pulls out a gun.
(b) He continues to sleep.
(c) He yells for help.
(d) He pulls out a knife.
9. Who reads the witness list in the courtroom?
(a) The guard.
(b) The magistrate.
(c) The first witness.
(d) Meursault's attorney.
10. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
(a) They are different than those of his normal life.
(b) They are abrasive.
(c) They are comforting.
(d) They are similar to those from his normal life.
11. On the Sunday that he, Raymond, and Marie go to the beach, how does Meursault feel in the morning?
(d) Not well.
12. What does Meursault notice about the jury and pressmen in the courtroom?
(a) He notices their distant looks.
(b) He notices their lack of attention.
(c) He notices their eyes on him.
(d) He notices that they are squinting.
13. How does Meursault express his regret?
(a) Through apologetic testimony.
(b) Through silence.
(c) Through the fear of death.
(d) He doesn't.
14. How do the authorities around him respond to Meursault's lack of spirituality?
(a) They physically injure him.
(b) They coddle him.
(c) They avoid discussing religion.
(d) They persecute him.
15. How long do the interrogations continue as preparations are made for Meursault's case?
(a) 11 months.
(b) 7 weeks.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 5 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Meursault enters the courtroom, what is he overcome by?
2. What do the women do while the men take a walk after lunch at the beach house?
3. Why doesn't Meursault understand why he can't have cigarettes?
4. When Meursault tells the guard about the things that he misses, what does the guard say?
5. Of which of the following materials is the beach house made?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)