|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Meursault watches Marie converse with Masson's wife, what does he think about?
(a) The stark reality of marriage.
(b) Running off to Paris.
(c) Killing Marie.
(d) How lucky he is to have Marie.
2. When Raymond testifies, for what is he criticized?
(a) His lies on the stand.
(b) His love of the beach.
(c) His friendship with Meursault.
(d) His indecent lifestyle.
3. What method of transportation do Meursault, Raymond, and Marie take to the beach house?
(a) The train.
(c) The bus.
(d) A car.
4. How long do the interrogations continue as preparations are made for Meursault's case?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 7 weeks.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 11 months.
5. How does imprisonment and interrogation change Meursault's belief in God?
(a) It doesn't.
(b) It makes him deny God whereas before he believed in him.
(c) It causes him to find God for the first time.
(d) It makes him turn to the God of his upbringing.
6. What does Meursault notice about the jury and pressmen in the courtroom?
(a) He notices their eyes on him.
(b) He notices their lack of attention.
(c) He notices their distant looks.
(d) He notices that they are squinting.
7. How do the authorities feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
(a) They are astonished.
(b) They think he is a demon.
(c) They find it normal.
(d) They expected it.
8. What does Salamano say in his testimony?
(a) That Meursault was a stoic individual.
(b) That Meursault was an odd soul who lived in the apartments.
(c) That Meursault had very few friends.
(d) That Meursault was kind during the disappearance of his dog.
9. When Meursault tells the guard about the things that he misses, what does the guard say?
(a) That it is an odd reaction.
(b) That it is a normal reaction.
(c) That Meursault should already be dead.
(d) That Meursault is mentally ill.
10. What does Perez testify about in court?
(a) That Meursault killed the Arab.
(b) That Meursault did not cry at his mother's funeral.
(c) That Meursault's mother beat him.
(d) That Meursault was comforting to him.
11. What does Meursault say when the magistrate asks if he has anything to say in his own defense?
(a) That the sun was the culprit in the shooting.
(b) That he doesn't know why he is in prison.
(c) That he is guilty and should be punished.
(d) That he feels remorse for what he has done.
12. According to the novel, how do most people who have been accused of murder receive God?
(a) Most find God in an attempt to cling to something.
(b) Most already have a deep belief in God.
(c) Most refuse to believe that God loves them.
(d) Most deny that God exists.
13. What mindset does Meursault resign himself to in prison?
(a) That of a believer.
(b) That of a free man.
(c) That of a prisoner.
(d) That of a guard.
14. How does Meursault perceive being deprived of things after several months in prison?
(a) As normal.
(b) As a reward.
(c) As necessary.
(d) As a punishment.
15. On the Sunday that he, Raymond, and Marie go to the beach, how does Meursault feel in the morning?
(c) Not well.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Meursault's attorney feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
2. The injuries that Raymond receives from the knife fight can be described by which of the following words?
3. When Raymond and Meursault return to the beach after Raymond is injured, what does Raymond ask Meursault if he should do?
4. On the day of his trial, where does Meursault wait for his trial to begin?
5. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)