|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
(a) They are abrasive.
(b) They are similar to those from his normal life.
(c) They are comforting.
(d) They are different than those of his normal life.
2. How does Meursault react to his friends in the courtroom?
(a) He waves at them.
(b) He doesn't notice them.
(c) He doesn't acknowledge them.
(d) He hugs each of them.
3. What element of nature has played a role in all the negative episodes of Meursault's life?
(a) The moon.
(b) The sun.
4. After asking Meursault to confirm his identity, what question does the Magistrate ask him?
(a) Why he sent his mother to the nursing home.
(b) Why he wrote the letter for Raymond.
(c) Why he killed the Arab.
(d) Why he is in prison.
5. What method of transportation do Meursault, Raymond, and Marie take to the beach house?
(a) The bus.
(b) The train.
(c) A car.
6. How long do the interrogations continue as preparations are made for Meursault's case?
(a) 11 months.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 7 weeks.
7. On the day of his trial, where does Meursault wait for his trial to begin?
(a) In his cell.
(b) In a holding room.
(c) In the back of the courtroom.
(d) In an alley way.
8. How do the people in the courtroom feel about what Meursault says in his own defense?
9. How do the authorities feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
(a) They expected it.
(b) They think he is a demon.
(c) They are astonished.
(d) They find it normal.
10. How does Meursault express his regret?
(a) Through the fear of death.
(b) He doesn't.
(c) Through apologetic testimony.
(d) Through silence.
11. Who reads the witness list in the courtroom?
(a) The magistrate.
(b) Meursault's attorney.
(c) The first witness.
(d) The guard.
12. As Meursault watches Marie converse with Masson's wife, what does he think about?
(a) The stark reality of marriage.
(b) Running off to Paris.
(c) Killing Marie.
(d) How lucky he is to have Marie.
13. What blinds Meursault before he shoots the Arab?
(a) The sun light off of a knife.
(b) A punch from behind.
(c) The sun light off the water.
(d) The Arab stabbing him.
14. Of what implications of his actions does Meursault seem most aware?
(a) He doesn't seem aware of implications.
(b) He seems aware that he will not marry Marie.
(c) He seems aware that he will feel guilt.
(d) He seems aware that he will be found guilty.
15. How does the magistrate feel about Meursault's answer to the question of why he hesitated before firing four more shots into the Arab's body?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He thinks Meursault said too much.
(c) He understands.
(d) He is not satisfied.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marie try to instill hope in Meursault?
2. What distracts Meursault when Marie comes to visit him in prison?
3. When Meursault finds the Arab man next to the water, how does the Arab react?
4. Where is Meursault while his fate is being decided in the courtroom?
5. When Meursault tells the guard about the things that he misses, what does the guard say?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)