|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Raymond and Meursault encounter the two Arabs, what results from them staring each other down with their weapons?
(a) Raymond shoots the Arab.
(b) All eventually turn and leave.
(c) The Arabs attack Raymond again.
(d) Meursault shoots the Arab.
2. Besides cigarettes, what does Meursault miss while he is in prison?
3. Who reads the witness list in the courtroom?
(a) Meursault's attorney.
(b) The magistrate.
(c) The guard.
(d) The first witness.
4. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
(a) They are abrasive.
(b) They are similar to those from his normal life.
(c) They are comforting.
(d) They are different than those of his normal life.
5. What does Perez testify about in court?
(a) That Meursault was comforting to him.
(b) That Meursault's mother beat him.
(c) That Meursault did not cry at his mother's funeral.
(d) That Meursault killed the Arab.
6. When Meursault finds the Arab man next to the water, how does the Arab react?
(a) He pulls out a gun.
(b) He continues to sleep.
(c) He pulls out a knife.
(d) He yells for help.
7. Of what implications of his actions does Meursault seem most aware?
(a) He seems aware that he will feel guilt.
(b) He doesn't seem aware of implications.
(c) He seems aware that he will be found guilty.
(d) He seems aware that he will not marry Marie.
8. What element of nature has played a role in all the negative episodes of Meursault's life?
(a) The moon.
(d) The sun.
9. What is Meursault looking for when he finds the Arab man lying near the water?
(a) A place to sleep.
(b) The beach house.
(c) A stream.
(d) A sand castle.
10. Where does Meursault find his attorney?
(a) The court appoints the attorney.
(b) He finds the attorney in the phone book.
(c) The attorney is a recommendation from Raymond.
(d) The attorney is a family friend.
11. How does Meursault feel about Marie's attempts to instill hope?
(a) They are rude.
(b) They feel pathetic.
(c) They are torture to him.
(d) They are comforting.
12. What is Meursault's sentence?
(a) Death by guillotine.
(b) Life in prison.
(c) Death by hanging.
(d) A long prison sentence.
13. How can the lights in the visiting room of the prison be described?
14. On the day of his trial, where does Meursault wait for his trial to begin?
(a) In an alley way.
(b) In the back of the courtroom.
(c) In a holding room.
(d) In his cell.
15. What does the prosecutor say about Meursault's intelligence?
(a) He says he is an intelligent man.
(b) He says that he is too brilliant.
(c) He says that he is very slow.
(d) He says that he is not smart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Meursault feel sleepy and dizzy walking after lunch at the beach house?
2. Prior to the trial, how does Meursault perceive the case against him?
3. How long do the interrogations continue as preparations are made for Meursault's case?
4. With whom does Meursault share a cell?
5. How are Marie and Meursault physically situated when she comes to visit him in prison?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)