|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Marie and Meursault physically situated when she comes to visit him in prison?
(a) She sits in his lap.
(b) They purposely sit apart from each other.
(c) They are separated by a divider.
(d) They sit close to each other, embracing.
2. Who officially determines Meursault's fate?
(a) The magistrate.
(b) The witnesses.
(c) The jury.
(d) The attorneys.
3. When Meursault tells the guard about the things that he misses, what does the guard say?
(a) That Meursault should already be dead.
(b) That Meursault is mentally ill.
(c) That it is an odd reaction.
(d) That it is a normal reaction.
4. What is Meursault looking for when he finds the Arab man lying near the water?
(a) A place to sleep.
(b) The beach house.
(c) A stream.
(d) A sand castle.
5. What blinds Meursault before he shoots the Arab?
(a) A punch from behind.
(b) The sun light off the water.
(c) The Arab stabbing him.
(d) The sun light off of a knife.
6. With whom does Meursault share a cell?
(a) Another murderer.
(b) A thief.
(d) No one.
7. What do the women do while the men take a walk after lunch at the beach house?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Sit and drink wine.
(c) Clean the dishes.
(d) Go for a walk.
8. How does Meursault's attorney feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
9. What element of nature has played a role in all the negative episodes of Meursault's life?
(b) The sun.
(d) The moon.
10. When Meursault enters the courtroom, what is he overcome by?
(a) The cold temperature and darkness.
(b) People shouting for his beheading.
(c) The sun shining through the blinds.
(d) The show of support by his friends.
11. In what type of information is the magistrate most interested?
(a) Meursault's personal life.
(b) Meursault's friends.
(c) The details of the crime.
(d) The Arab's personal life.
12. How do the authorities around him respond to Meursault's lack of spirituality?
(a) They coddle him.
(b) They persecute him.
(c) They avoid discussing religion.
(d) They physically injure him.
13. How can the lights in the visiting room of the prison be described?
14. Which of the following is true about most of the statements by the prosecutor in court?
(a) They are compassionate.
(b) They are irrational.
(c) They ignore Meursault's mental state.
(d) They focus on the facts of the case.
15. Where does Meursault find his attorney?
(a) The court appoints the attorney.
(b) The attorney is a family friend.
(c) He finds the attorney in the phone book.
(d) The attorney is a recommendation from Raymond.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Meursault feel sleepy and dizzy walking after lunch at the beach house?
2. What type of case is to follow Meursault's in court?
3. When Raymond and Meursault return to the beach after Raymond is injured, what does Raymond ask Meursault if he should do?
4. How does Meursault feel when he thinks the thoughts of a free man?
5. Which of the following statements about Meursault and repentance are correct?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)