|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the day of his trial, where is Meursault taken in handcuffs?
(a) To the courthouse.
(b) Throught the streets.
(c) To the dungeon.
(d) To an undisclosed location.
2. What size is the visiting room at the prison?
(a) Extremely tiny.
3. According to the novel, how do most people who have been accused of murder receive God?
(a) Most find God in an attempt to cling to something.
(b) Most deny that God exists.
(c) Most already have a deep belief in God.
(d) Most refuse to believe that God loves them.
4. When he is led back into the courtroom, what does Meursault notice?
(a) The prosecution.
(b) His friends.
(c) The press.
(d) The jury.
5. During the magistrate's questioning, what does Meursault remember about the day of the murder?
(a) The hot sun on his back.
(b) Waking up covered in blood.
(c) Being blinded.
(d) Shooting the Arab.
6. How can the lights in the visiting room of the prison be described?
7. Where is Meursault while his fate is being decided in the courtroom?
(a) Behind the judge.
(b) Outside the room.
(c) On the stand.
(d) In the benches.
8. How many times does Marie visit Meursault in prison?
(a) Every day.
(b) 5 times.
9. Of what implications of his actions does Meursault seem most aware?
(a) He doesn't seem aware of implications.
(b) He seems aware that he will feel guilt.
(c) He seems aware that he will be found guilty.
(d) He seems aware that he will not marry Marie.
10. How does Marie try to instill hope in Meursault?
(a) By embracing and kissing him.
(b) By telling him that she is now dating Raymond.
(c) By telling him that his appeal is going well.
(d) By telling them they will soon swim again and get married.
11. While Masson is helping Raymond attend to his injuries, what does Meursault do?
(a) Stays with Raymond.
(b) Goes back to his apartment.
(c) Calls Raymond's mother.
(d) Returns to tell the women what happened.
12. Why does Meursault feel sleepy and dizzy walking after lunch at the beach house?
(a) He has a stomach virus.
(b) He drank too much salt water.
(c) He has had too much wine and it is hot.
(d) He is nervous about marrying Marie.
13. What is Meursault looking for when he finds the Arab man lying near the water?
(a) A place to sleep.
(b) A sand castle.
(c) A stream.
(d) The beach house.
14. When Meursault enters the courtroom, what is he overcome by?
(a) The show of support by his friends.
(b) The sun shining through the blinds.
(c) The cold temperature and darkness.
(d) People shouting for his beheading.
15. What mindset does Meursault resign himself to in prison?
(a) That of a guard.
(b) That of a free man.
(c) That of a believer.
(d) That of a prisoner.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the authorities feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
2. When does prison seem most harsh to Meursault?
3. What has Meursault's attorney told him about the trial?
4. With whom does Meursault share a cell?
5. How long do the interrogations continue as preparations are made for Meursault's case?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)