|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do the interrogations continue as preparations are made for Meursault's case?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 11 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 7 weeks.
2. On the day of his trial, where does Meursault wait for his trial to begin?
(a) In a holding room.
(b) In the back of the courtroom.
(c) In his cell.
(d) In an alley way.
3. What mindset does Meursault resign himself to in prison?
(a) That of a guard.
(b) That of a believer.
(c) That of a free man.
(d) That of a prisoner.
4. How does Marie try to instill hope in Meursault?
(a) By telling him that his appeal is going well.
(b) By embracing and kissing him.
(c) By telling him that she is now dating Raymond.
(d) By telling them they will soon swim again and get married.
5. Where does Meursault find his attorney?
(a) The attorney is a family friend.
(b) The attorney is a recommendation from Raymond.
(c) He finds the attorney in the phone book.
(d) The court appoints the attorney.
6. What blinds Meursault before he shoots the Arab?
(a) The Arab stabbing him.
(b) A punch from behind.
(c) The sun light off the water.
(d) The sun light off of a knife.
7. On the day of his trial, where is Meursault taken in handcuffs?
(a) To the dungeon.
(b) To an undisclosed location.
(c) Throught the streets.
(d) To the courthouse.
8. Besides cigarettes, what does Meursault miss while he is in prison?
9. How does Meursault react to his friends in the courtroom?
(a) He doesn't notice them.
(b) He waves at them.
(c) He hugs each of them.
(d) He doesn't acknowledge them.
10. After asking Meursault to confirm his identity, what question does the Magistrate ask him?
(a) Why he sent his mother to the nursing home.
(b) Why he wrote the letter for Raymond.
(c) Why he killed the Arab.
(d) Why he is in prison.
11. How does Meursault perceive being deprived of things after several months in prison?
(a) As a punishment.
(b) As a reward.
(c) As normal.
(d) As necessary.
12. How does imprisonment and interrogation change Meursault's belief in God?
(a) It makes him turn to the God of his upbringing.
(b) It causes him to find God for the first time.
(c) It makes him deny God whereas before he believed in him.
(d) It doesn't.
13. Which of the following statements about Meursault and repentance are correct?
(a) Meursault would repent if he was guilty.
(b) Meursault has already repented.
(c) Meursault shows no desire to repent.
(d) Meursault is not ready to repent until proven guilty.
14. When Meursault and Raymond return to the cottage, why does Meursault not come up the steps?
(a) He wants to go for a swim.
(b) He is overcome with heat exhaustion.
(c) He doesn't want to see Marie.
(d) He is looking for someone to fight.
15. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
(a) They are different than those of his normal life.
(b) They are similar to those from his normal life.
(c) They are comforting.
(d) They are abrasive.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Meursault enters the courtroom, what is he overcome by?
2. How many times does Marie visit Meursault in prison?
3. What does Salamano say in his testimony?
4. What distracts Meursault when Marie comes to visit him in prison?
5. How do the authorities feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)