|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Meursault enters the courtroom, what is he overcome by?
(a) The cold temperature and darkness.
(b) The sun shining through the blinds.
(c) The show of support by his friends.
(d) People shouting for his beheading.
2. When Raymond testifies, for what is he criticized?
(a) His love of the beach.
(b) His lies on the stand.
(c) His friendship with Meursault.
(d) His indecent lifestyle.
3. How does the magistrate feel about Meursault's answer to the question of why he hesitated before firing four more shots into the Arab's body?
(a) He understands.
(b) He thinks Meursault said too much.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is not satisfied.
4. What blinds Meursault before he shoots the Arab?
(a) The sun light off the water.
(b) The sun light off of a knife.
(c) The Arab stabbing him.
(d) A punch from behind.
5. How long do the interrogations continue as preparations are made for Meursault's case?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 11 months.
(d) 7 weeks.
6. What distracts Meursault when Marie comes to visit him in prison?
(a) His upcoming death.
(b) His unshavenness.
(c) The noise.
(d) Her beauty.
7. When Meursault and Raymond return to the cottage, why does Meursault not come up the steps?
(a) He wants to go for a swim.
(b) He is overcome with heat exhaustion.
(c) He is looking for someone to fight.
(d) He doesn't want to see Marie.
8. What does Salamano say in his testimony?
(a) That Meursault was an odd soul who lived in the apartments.
(b) That Meursault was a stoic individual.
(c) That Meursault was kind during the disappearance of his dog.
(d) That Meursault had very few friends.
9. How does Meursault feel when he thinks the thoughts of a free man?
10. How does Meursault feel about Marie's attempts to instill hope?
(a) They feel pathetic.
(b) They are torture to him.
(c) They are rude.
(d) They are comforting.
11. As Meursault waits for his trial, what does he notice about the noise in the courtroom?
(a) There are hushed whispers.
(b) There is a consistent tapping.
(c) It is completely quiet.
(d) There is much commotion.
12. As the trial progresses, what happens to Meursault's level of interest?
(a) He maintains the same level of interest.
(b) He becomes less interested.
(c) He becomes more interested.
(d) He becomes only interested in his fate.
13. What does the attorney find when he interviews people about Meursault's background?
(a) Many people want Meursault dead.
(b) Many people think Meursault is sensitive.
(c) Many people comment on Meursault's callous behavior.
(d) Many people would like Meursault to go to prison.
14. How does Marie try to instill hope in Meursault?
(a) By telling them they will soon swim again and get married.
(b) By embracing and kissing him.
(c) By telling him that his appeal is going well.
(d) By telling him that she is now dating Raymond.
15. How does imprisonment and interrogation change Meursault's belief in God?
(a) It causes him to find God for the first time.
(b) It makes him deny God whereas before he believed in him.
(c) It doesn't.
(d) It makes him turn to the God of his upbringing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Meursault understand why he can't have cigarettes?
2. Who reads the witness list in the courtroom?
3. How many times does Meursault shoot the Arab?
4. After enduring many interrogations, how does Meursault feel about his surroundings?
5. What is Meursault's sentence?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)