|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After enduring many interrogations, how does Meursault feel about his surroundings?
(a) He feels as if he is part of a family.
(b) He longs to escape them.
(c) He is depressed.
(d) He misses Marie.
2. How can the lights in the visiting room of the prison be described?
3. With whom does Meursault share a cell?
(a) Another murderer.
(b) A thief.
(d) No one.
4. Where does Masson take Raymond for the treatment of his cuts on the beach?
(a) To Raymond's house.
(b) To the hospital in town.
(c) To the beach house.
(d) To the doctor's house.
5. How do the authorities feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
(a) They expected it.
(b) They think he is a demon.
(c) They are astonished.
(d) They find it normal.
6. How does Meursault answer the question of why he hesitated before firing four more shots into the Arab's body?
(a) With a detailed response.
(b) With an honest answer.
(c) By withholding certain information.
(d) By telling a complete lie.
7. When Raymond testifies, for what is he criticized?
(a) His love of the beach.
(b) His indecent lifestyle.
(c) His lies on the stand.
(d) His friendship with Meursault.
8. Which of the following statements about Meursault and repentance are correct?
(a) Meursault is not ready to repent until proven guilty.
(b) Meursault shows no desire to repent.
(c) Meursault would repent if he was guilty.
(d) Meursault has already repented.
9. Besides cigarettes, what does Meursault miss while he is in prison?
10. How does Meursault express his regret?
(a) Through silence.
(b) He doesn't.
(c) Through the fear of death.
(d) Through apologetic testimony.
11. Of which of the following materials is the beach house made?
12. Who reads the witness list in the courtroom?
(a) Meursault's attorney.
(b) The first witness.
(c) The magistrate.
(d) The guard.
13. According to the novel, how do most people who have been accused of murder receive God?
(a) Most deny that God exists.
(b) Most already have a deep belief in God.
(c) Most refuse to believe that God loves them.
(d) Most find God in an attempt to cling to something.
14. Prior to the trial, how does Meursault perceive the case against him?
(d) Not complicated.
15. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
(a) They are similar to those from his normal life.
(b) They are comforting.
(c) They are abrasive.
(d) They are different than those of his normal life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Meursault shoot the Arab?
2. When does prison seem most harsh to Meursault?
3. Who officially determines Meursault's fate?
4. In the interrogation room, which of the following does Meursault notice?
5. As Meursault watches Marie converse with Masson's wife, what does he think about?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)