|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Meursault and Raymond return to the cottage, why does Meursault not come up the steps?
(a) He doesn't want to see Marie.
(b) He is overcome with heat exhaustion.
(c) He wants to go for a swim.
(d) He is looking for someone to fight.
2. How does the magistrate feel about Meursault's answer to the question of why he hesitated before firing four more shots into the Arab's body?
(a) He thinks Meursault said too much.
(b) He understands.
(c) He is not satisfied.
(d) He is relieved.
3. When does the local magistrate question Meursault?
(a) The day after the chaplain visits.
(b) The day before the trial.
(c) The day of the interrogation.
(d) The day after his attorney arrives.
4. When Meursault enters the courtroom, what is he overcome by?
(a) People shouting for his beheading.
(b) The sun shining through the blinds.
(c) The cold temperature and darkness.
(d) The show of support by his friends.
5. What does Meursault notice about the jury and pressmen in the courtroom?
(a) He notices their distant looks.
(b) He notices that they are squinting.
(c) He notices their eyes on him.
(d) He notices their lack of attention.
6. How does Marie try to instill hope in Meursault?
(a) By embracing and kissing him.
(b) By telling him that she is now dating Raymond.
(c) By telling them they will soon swim again and get married.
(d) By telling him that his appeal is going well.
7. What is Meursault looking for when he finds the Arab man lying near the water?
(a) A place to sleep.
(b) A sand castle.
(c) A stream.
(d) The beach house.
8. When Raymond and Meursault encounter the two Arabs, what results from them staring each other down with their weapons?
(a) The Arabs attack Raymond again.
(b) Raymond shoots the Arab.
(c) Meursault shoots the Arab.
(d) All eventually turn and leave.
9. When Raymond and Meursault return to the beach after Raymond is injured, what does Raymond ask Meursault if he should do?
(a) Go swimming.
(b) Move to England.
(c) Shoot the Arabs.
(d) Sleep with Mason's wife.
10. What does Meursault say when the magistrate asks if he has anything to say in his own defense?
(a) That he feels remorse for what he has done.
(b) That the sun was the culprit in the shooting.
(c) That he doesn't know why he is in prison.
(d) That he is guilty and should be punished.
11. How many times does Marie visit Meursault in prison?
(b) Every day.
(c) 5 times.
12. As Meursault watches Marie converse with Masson's wife, what does he think about?
(a) Killing Marie.
(b) How lucky he is to have Marie.
(c) The stark reality of marriage.
(d) Running off to Paris.
13. As the trial progresses, what happens to Meursault's level of interest?
(a) He maintains the same level of interest.
(b) He becomes less interested.
(c) He becomes only interested in his fate.
(d) He becomes more interested.
14. Where does Masson take Raymond for the treatment of his cuts on the beach?
(a) To the doctor's house.
(b) To the beach house.
(c) To the hospital in town.
(d) To Raymond's house.
15. How does Meursault feel about Marie's attempts to instill hope?
(a) They are torture to him.
(b) They are rude.
(c) They feel pathetic.
(d) They are comforting.
Short Answer Questions
1. The injuries that Raymond receives from the knife fight can be described by which of the following words?
2. In the interrogation room, which of the following does Meursault notice?
3. What does Salamano say in his testimony?
4. What mindset does Meursault resign himself to in prison?
5. What type of case is to follow Meursault's in court?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)