|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the authorities feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
(a) They are astonished.
(b) They think he is a demon.
(c) They expected it.
(d) They find it normal.
2. After asking Meursault to confirm his identity, what question does the Magistrate ask him?
(a) Why he wrote the letter for Raymond.
(b) Why he sent his mother to the nursing home.
(c) Why he is in prison.
(d) Why he killed the Arab.
3. How are Marie and Meursault physically situated when she comes to visit him in prison?
(a) They sit close to each other, embracing.
(b) She sits in his lap.
(c) They purposely sit apart from each other.
(d) They are separated by a divider.
4. Where is Meursault while his fate is being decided in the courtroom?
(a) Outside the room.
(b) Behind the judge.
(c) On the stand.
(d) In the benches.
5. What has Meursault's attorney told him about the trial?
(a) It will be canceled.
(b) It should be relatively brief.
(c) It will take several weeks.
(d) It is expected to be record breaking.
6. The injuries that Raymond receives from the knife fight can be described by which of the following words?
(b) Life threatening.
7. When he is led back into the courtroom, what does Meursault notice?
(a) The prosecution.
(b) The press.
(c) The jury.
(d) His friends.
8. What does Meursault notice about the jury and pressmen in the courtroom?
(a) He notices their distant looks.
(b) He notices that they are squinting.
(c) He notices their eyes on him.
(d) He notices their lack of attention.
9. While Raymond, Meursault, and Masson are walking, who slashes Raymond on his arms and lips with a knife?
(a) The Arab that has been stalking him.
(d) A man he does not recognize.
10. When does the local magistrate question Meursault?
(a) The day after his attorney arrives.
(b) The day of the interrogation.
(c) The day before the trial.
(d) The day after the chaplain visits.
11. What does Meursault say when the magistrate asks if he has anything to say in his own defense?
(a) That he feels remorse for what he has done.
(b) That the sun was the culprit in the shooting.
(c) That he is guilty and should be punished.
(d) That he doesn't know why he is in prison.
12. When Meursault and Raymond return to the cottage, why does Meursault not come up the steps?
(a) He is overcome with heat exhaustion.
(b) He is looking for someone to fight.
(c) He wants to go for a swim.
(d) He doesn't want to see Marie.
13. Where does Meursault find his attorney?
(a) The court appoints the attorney.
(b) He finds the attorney in the phone book.
(c) The attorney is a recommendation from Raymond.
(d) The attorney is a family friend.
14. What does the attorney find when he interviews people about Meursault's background?
(a) Many people comment on Meursault's callous behavior.
(b) Many people would like Meursault to go to prison.
(c) Many people want Meursault dead.
(d) Many people think Meursault is sensitive.
15. How do the authorities around him respond to Meursault's lack of spirituality?
(a) They physically injure him.
(b) They avoid discussing religion.
(c) They persecute him.
(d) They coddle him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What blinds Meursault before he shoots the Arab?
2. What does Salamano say in his testimony?
3. Which of the following is true about how Meursault has handled prison conditions?
4. How does Meursault feel about Marie's attempts to instill hope?
5. Besides cigarettes, what does Meursault miss while he is in prison?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)