|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what type of information is the magistrate most interested?
(a) Meursault's personal life.
(b) The Arab's personal life.
(c) The details of the crime.
(d) Meursault's friends.
2. Which of the following is true about how Meursault has handled prison conditions?
(a) He has remained stubborn.
(b) He has lost himself.
(c) He has grown accustomed to the dark.
(d) He has adapted.
3. While Raymond, Meursault, and Masson are walking, who slashes Raymond on his arms and lips with a knife?
(a) A man he does not recognize.
(d) The Arab that has been stalking him.
4. The injuries that Raymond receives from the knife fight can be described by which of the following words?
(a) Life threatening.
5. How does Meursault feel about Marie's attempts to instill hope?
(a) They feel pathetic.
(b) They are comforting.
(c) They are rude.
(d) They are torture to him.
6. When Raymond and Meursault encounter the two Arabs, what results from them staring each other down with their weapons?
(a) Raymond shoots the Arab.
(b) All eventually turn and leave.
(c) The Arabs attack Raymond again.
(d) Meursault shoots the Arab.
7. How do the authorities around him respond to Meursault's lack of spirituality?
(a) They avoid discussing religion.
(b) They coddle him.
(c) They persecute him.
(d) They physically injure him.
8. What is Meursault's view from his cell?
(a) The mountains and darkness.
(b) The water and the changing shades of sunlight.
(c) A small glimpse of the dirt outside the window.
(d) A dark wall with water dripping down it.
9. When Meursault and Raymond return to the cottage, why does Meursault not come up the steps?
(a) He doesn't want to see Marie.
(b) He is looking for someone to fight.
(c) He wants to go for a swim.
(d) He is overcome with heat exhaustion.
10. After enduring many interrogations, how does Meursault feel about his surroundings?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He feels as if he is part of a family.
(c) He longs to escape them.
(d) He misses Marie.
11. What size is the visiting room at the prison?
(d) Extremely tiny.
12. Prior to the trial, how does Meursault perceive the case against him?
(a) Not complicated.
13. How does the magistrate feel about Meursault's answer to the question of why he hesitated before firing four more shots into the Arab's body?
(a) He is not satisfied.
(b) He is relieved.
(c) He understands.
(d) He thinks Meursault said too much.
14. Besides cigarettes, what does Meursault miss while he is in prison?
15. What element of nature has played a role in all the negative episodes of Meursault's life?
(b) The moon.
(d) The sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
2. While Masson is helping Raymond attend to his injuries, what does Meursault do?
3. What does Meursault say when the magistrate asks if he has anything to say in his own defense?
4. As Meursault watches Marie converse with Masson's wife, what does he think about?
5. How does Marie try to instill hope in Meursault?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)