|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Meursault say when the magistrate asks if he has anything to say in his own defense?
(a) That he doesn't know why he is in prison.
(b) That he feels remorse for what he has done.
(c) That he is guilty and should be punished.
(d) That the sun was the culprit in the shooting.
2. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
(a) They are similar to those from his normal life.
(b) They are comforting.
(c) They are different than those of his normal life.
(d) They are abrasive.
3. What distracts Meursault when Marie comes to visit him in prison?
(a) The noise.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) His unshavenness.
(d) His upcoming death.
4. How does Meursault express his regret?
(a) He doesn't.
(b) Through silence.
(c) Through the fear of death.
(d) Through apologetic testimony.
5. What does Meursault notice about the jury and pressmen in the courtroom?
(a) He notices their eyes on him.
(b) He notices that they are squinting.
(c) He notices their lack of attention.
(d) He notices their distant looks.
6. What has Meursault's attorney told him about the trial?
(a) It will be canceled.
(b) It is expected to be record breaking.
(c) It should be relatively brief.
(d) It will take several weeks.
7. How do the people in the courtroom feel about what Meursault says in his own defense?
8. How many times does Meursault shoot the Arab?
9. How can the lights in the visiting room of the prison be described?
10. When does prison seem most harsh to Meursault?
(a) At night.
(b) In the evening.
(c) In the morning.
(d) During the afternoon.
11. During the magistrate's questioning, what does Meursault remember about the day of the murder?
(a) The hot sun on his back.
(b) Waking up covered in blood.
(c) Shooting the Arab.
(d) Being blinded.
12. What does Perez testify about in court?
(a) That Meursault did not cry at his mother's funeral.
(b) That Meursault's mother beat him.
(c) That Meursault killed the Arab.
(d) That Meursault was comforting to him.
13. Of what implications of his actions does Meursault seem most aware?
(a) He doesn't seem aware of implications.
(b) He seems aware that he will be found guilty.
(c) He seems aware that he will feel guilt.
(d) He seems aware that he will not marry Marie.
14. How are Marie and Meursault physically situated when she comes to visit him in prison?
(a) They purposely sit apart from each other.
(b) She sits in his lap.
(c) They are separated by a divider.
(d) They sit close to each other, embracing.
15. When Meursault tells the guard about the things that he misses, what does the guard say?
(a) That Meursault should already be dead.
(b) That Meursault is mentally ill.
(c) That it is an odd reaction.
(d) That it is a normal reaction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prosecutor say about Meursault's intelligence?
2. In what type of information is the magistrate most interested?
3. What do the women do while the men take a walk after lunch at the beach house?
4. What is Meursault's sentence?
5. How do the authorities around him respond to Meursault's lack of spirituality?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)