|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is true about most of the statements by the prosecutor in court?
(a) They are irrational.
(b) They focus on the facts of the case.
(c) They are compassionate.
(d) They ignore Meursault's mental state.
2. Who reads the witness list in the courtroom?
(a) Meursault's attorney.
(b) The first witness.
(c) The guard.
(d) The magistrate.
3. What element of nature has played a role in all the negative episodes of Meursault's life?
(a) The sun.
(d) The moon.
4. As Meursault watches Marie converse with Masson's wife, what does he think about?
(a) The stark reality of marriage.
(b) Running off to Paris.
(c) How lucky he is to have Marie.
(d) Killing Marie.
5. Besides cigarettes, what does Meursault miss while he is in prison?
6. Who prepares lunch at the beach house?
(b) Masson's wife.
7. In the interrogation room, which of the following does Meursault notice?
(a) The pretty policewoman.
(b) The grime.
8. How does Marie try to instill hope in Meursault?
(a) By telling them they will soon swim again and get married.
(b) By telling him that his appeal is going well.
(c) By embracing and kissing him.
(d) By telling him that she is now dating Raymond.
9. When Meursault and Raymond return to the cottage, why does Meursault not come up the steps?
(a) He is overcome with heat exhaustion.
(b) He is looking for someone to fight.
(c) He wants to go for a swim.
(d) He doesn't want to see Marie.
10. How long do the interrogations continue as preparations are made for Meursault's case?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 7 weeks.
(c) 11 months.
(d) 5 days.
11. When he is led back into the courtroom, what does Meursault notice?
(a) The jury.
(b) The prosecution.
(c) His friends.
(d) The press.
12. What does Meursault notice about the jury and pressmen in the courtroom?
(a) He notices their distant looks.
(b) He notices their lack of attention.
(c) He notices their eyes on him.
(d) He notices that they are squinting.
13. Where is Meursault while his fate is being decided in the courtroom?
(a) On the stand.
(b) Behind the judge.
(c) Outside the room.
(d) In the benches.
14. How does Meursault answer the question of why he hesitated before firing four more shots into the Arab's body?
(a) With a detailed response.
(b) By withholding certain information.
(c) With an honest answer.
(d) By telling a complete lie.
15. Where does Meursault find his attorney?
(a) He finds the attorney in the phone book.
(b) The court appoints the attorney.
(c) The attorney is a recommendation from Raymond.
(d) The attorney is a family friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distracts Meursault when Marie comes to visit him in prison?
2. When Raymond testifies, for what is he criticized?
3. How does Meursault's attorney feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
4. When Meursault tells the guard about the things that he misses, what does the guard say?
5. How can the lights in the visiting room of the prison be described?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)