|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Meursault feel sleepy and dizzy walking after lunch at the beach house?
(a) He is nervous about marrying Marie.
(b) He has a stomach virus.
(c) He has had too much wine and it is hot.
(d) He drank too much salt water.
2. When Meursault finds the Arab man next to the water, how does the Arab react?
(a) He pulls out a gun.
(b) He yells for help.
(c) He pulls out a knife.
(d) He continues to sleep.
3. As the trial progresses, what happens to Meursault's level of interest?
(a) He becomes less interested.
(b) He becomes only interested in his fate.
(c) He maintains the same level of interest.
(d) He becomes more interested.
4. What distracts Meursault when Marie comes to visit him in prison?
(a) His unshavenness.
(b) The noise.
(c) His upcoming death.
(d) Her beauty.
5. As Meursault waits for his trial, what does he notice about the noise in the courtroom?
(a) There is a consistent tapping.
(b) It is completely quiet.
(c) There are hushed whispers.
(d) There is much commotion.
6. What element of nature has played a role in all the negative episodes of Meursault's life?
(a) The moon.
(b) The sun.
7. Which of the following is true about most of the statements by the prosecutor in court?
(a) They are irrational.
(b) They focus on the facts of the case.
(c) They ignore Meursault's mental state.
(d) They are compassionate.
8. Who reads the witness list in the courtroom?
(a) The guard.
(b) The magistrate.
(c) The first witness.
(d) Meursault's attorney.
9. How does Meursault answer the question of why he hesitated before firing four more shots into the Arab's body?
(a) With a detailed response.
(b) With an honest answer.
(c) By telling a complete lie.
(d) By withholding certain information.
10. What mindset does Meursault resign himself to in prison?
(a) That of a believer.
(b) That of a free man.
(c) That of a guard.
(d) That of a prisoner.
11. Besides cigarettes, what does Meursault miss while he is in prison?
12. On the Sunday that he, Raymond, and Marie go to the beach, how does Meursault feel in the morning?
(b) Not well.
13. How do the people in the courtroom feel about what Meursault says in his own defense?
14. What type of case is to follow Meursault's in court?
15. What does the prosecutor say about Meursault's intelligence?
(a) He says he is an intelligent man.
(b) He says that he is not smart.
(c) He says that he is too brilliant.
(d) He says that he is very slow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Masson take Raymond for the treatment of his cuts on the beach?
2. When Raymond and Meursault return to the beach after Raymond is injured, what does Raymond ask Meursault if he should do?
3. When does prison seem most harsh to Meursault?
4. Why doesn't Meursault understand why he can't have cigarettes?
5. With whom does Meursault share a cell?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)