|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the prosecutor say about Meursault's intelligence?
(a) He says that he is very slow.
(b) He says that he is not smart.
(c) He says that he is too brilliant.
(d) He says he is an intelligent man.
2. How can the lights in the visiting room of the prison be described?
3. What size is the visiting room at the prison?
(d) Extremely tiny.
4. When does prison seem most harsh to Meursault?
(a) In the morning.
(b) In the evening.
(c) During the afternoon.
(d) At night.
5. How does Meursault's attorney feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
6. After enduring many interrogations, how does Meursault feel about his surroundings?
(a) He longs to escape them.
(b) He misses Marie.
(c) He is depressed.
(d) He feels as if he is part of a family.
7. In the interrogation room, which of the following does Meursault notice?
(a) The grime.
(c) The pretty policewoman.
8. Who reads the witness list in the courtroom?
(a) The first witness.
(b) The guard.
(c) The magistrate.
(d) Meursault's attorney.
9. As Meursault watches Marie converse with Masson's wife, what does he think about?
(a) Killing Marie.
(b) Running off to Paris.
(c) The stark reality of marriage.
(d) How lucky he is to have Marie.
10. When Meursault tells the guard about the things that he misses, what does the guard say?
(a) That it is an odd reaction.
(b) That Meursault is mentally ill.
(c) That it is a normal reaction.
(d) That Meursault should already be dead.
11. How does Meursault feel when he thinks the thoughts of a free man?
12. Why does Meursault feel sleepy and dizzy walking after lunch at the beach house?
(a) He has had too much wine and it is hot.
(b) He is nervous about marrying Marie.
(c) He drank too much salt water.
(d) He has a stomach virus.
13. How does Meursault answer the question of why he hesitated before firing four more shots into the Arab's body?
(a) By telling a complete lie.
(b) With a detailed response.
(c) With an honest answer.
(d) By withholding certain information.
14. Where is Meursault while his fate is being decided in the courtroom?
(a) On the stand.
(b) In the benches.
(c) Outside the room.
(d) Behind the judge.
15. Where does Meursault find his attorney?
(a) The court appoints the attorney.
(b) He finds the attorney in the phone book.
(c) The attorney is a recommendation from Raymond.
(d) The attorney is a family friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Raymond testifies, for what is he criticized?
2. What is Meursault looking for when he finds the Arab man lying near the water?
3. What type of case is to follow Meursault's in court?
4. The injuries that Raymond receives from the knife fight can be described by which of the following words?
5. On the Sunday that he, Raymond, and Marie go to the beach, how does Meursault feel in the morning?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)