|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Meursault express his regret?
(a) Through the fear of death.
(b) Through silence.
(c) Through apologetic testimony.
(d) He doesn't.
2. Where is Meursault while his fate is being decided in the courtroom?
(a) Behind the judge.
(b) On the stand.
(c) In the benches.
(d) Outside the room.
3. Besides cigarettes, what does Meursault miss while he is in prison?
4. Who prepares lunch at the beach house?
(a) Masson's wife.
5. When does prison seem most harsh to Meursault?
(a) In the evening.
(b) In the morning.
(c) During the afternoon.
(d) At night.
6. How many times does Meursault shoot the Arab?
7. When Meursault tells the guard about the things that he misses, what does the guard say?
(a) That Meursault should already be dead.
(b) That it is an odd reaction.
(c) That Meursault is mentally ill.
(d) That it is a normal reaction.
8. How do the authorities around him respond to Meursault's lack of spirituality?
(a) They persecute him.
(b) They physically injure him.
(c) They avoid discussing religion.
(d) They coddle him.
9. During the magistrate's questioning, what does Meursault remember about the day of the murder?
(a) Being blinded.
(b) Waking up covered in blood.
(c) Shooting the Arab.
(d) The hot sun on his back.
10. While Masson is helping Raymond attend to his injuries, what does Meursault do?
(a) Calls Raymond's mother.
(b) Goes back to his apartment.
(c) Returns to tell the women what happened.
(d) Stays with Raymond.
11. What has Meursault's attorney told him about the trial?
(a) It will take several weeks.
(b) It is expected to be record breaking.
(c) It will be canceled.
(d) It should be relatively brief.
12. Which of the following is true about how Meursault has handled prison conditions?
(a) He has remained stubborn.
(b) He has adapted.
(c) He has grown accustomed to the dark.
(d) He has lost himself.
13. When Raymond and Meursault return to the beach after Raymond is injured, what does Raymond ask Meursault if he should do?
(a) Shoot the Arabs.
(b) Move to England.
(c) Go swimming.
(d) Sleep with Mason's wife.
14. How does Meursault answer the question of why he hesitated before firing four more shots into the Arab's body?
(a) With an honest answer.
(b) With a detailed response.
(c) By telling a complete lie.
(d) By withholding certain information.
15. On the day of his trial, where does Meursault wait for his trial to begin?
(a) In an alley way.
(b) In a holding room.
(c) In the back of the courtroom.
(d) In his cell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what implications of his actions does Meursault seem most aware?
2. Where does Meursault find his attorney?
3. Prior to the trial, how does Meursault perceive the case against him?
4. What method of transportation do Meursault, Raymond, and Marie take to the beach house?
5. In what type of information is the magistrate most interested?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)