|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Meursault find his attorney?
(a) The attorney is a family friend.
(b) The court appoints the attorney.
(c) The attorney is a recommendation from Raymond.
(d) He finds the attorney in the phone book.
2. According to the novel, how do most people who have been accused of murder receive God?
(a) Most find God in an attempt to cling to something.
(b) Most refuse to believe that God loves them.
(c) Most deny that God exists.
(d) Most already have a deep belief in God.
3. What is Meursault's view from his cell?
(a) The water and the changing shades of sunlight.
(b) The mountains and darkness.
(c) A dark wall with water dripping down it.
(d) A small glimpse of the dirt outside the window.
4. How does Marie try to instill hope in Meursault?
(a) By embracing and kissing him.
(b) By telling them they will soon swim again and get married.
(c) By telling him that she is now dating Raymond.
(d) By telling him that his appeal is going well.
5. While Raymond, Meursault, and Masson are walking, who slashes Raymond on his arms and lips with a knife?
(b) A man he does not recognize.
(d) The Arab that has been stalking him.
6. How many times does Marie visit Meursault in prison?
(b) 5 times.
(d) Every day.
7. On the Sunday that he, Raymond, and Marie go to the beach, how does Meursault feel in the morning?
(a) Not well.
8. What does the prosecutor say about Meursault's intelligence?
(a) He says that he is very slow.
(b) He says that he is not smart.
(c) He says he is an intelligent man.
(d) He says that he is too brilliant.
9. What is Meursault looking for when he finds the Arab man lying near the water?
(a) A sand castle.
(b) A stream.
(c) The beach house.
(d) A place to sleep.
10. In the interrogation room, which of the following does Meursault notice?
(a) The grime.
(d) The pretty policewoman.
11. Of which of the following materials is the beach house made?
12. How does Meursault perceive being deprived of things after several months in prison?
(a) As necessary.
(b) As a reward.
(c) As a punishment.
(d) As normal.
13. When does the local magistrate question Meursault?
(a) The day after his attorney arrives.
(b) The day after the chaplain visits.
(c) The day of the interrogation.
(d) The day before the trial.
14. How do the authorities around him respond to Meursault's lack of spirituality?
(a) They persecute him.
(b) They physically injure him.
(c) They avoid discussing religion.
(d) They coddle him.
15. What does Perez testify about in court?
(a) That Meursault killed the Arab.
(b) That Meursault did not cry at his mother's funeral.
(c) That Meursault was comforting to him.
(d) That Meursault's mother beat him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What blinds Meursault before he shoots the Arab?
2. Who prepares lunch at the beach house?
3. When Raymond and Meursault encounter the two Arabs, what results from them staring each other down with their weapons?
4. Of what implications of his actions does Meursault seem most aware?
5. Who officially determines Meursault's fate?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)