|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marie try to instill hope in Meursault?
(a) By telling him that his appeal is going well.
(b) By embracing and kissing him.
(c) By telling them they will soon swim again and get married.
(d) By telling him that she is now dating Raymond.
2. What element of nature has played a role in all the negative episodes of Meursault's life?
(a) The sun.
(d) The moon.
3. While Raymond, Meursault, and Masson are walking, who slashes Raymond on his arms and lips with a knife?
(a) A man he does not recognize.
(d) The Arab that has been stalking him.
4. As Meursault watches Marie converse with Masson's wife, what does he think about?
(a) The stark reality of marriage.
(b) How lucky he is to have Marie.
(c) Killing Marie.
(d) Running off to Paris.
5. When Meursault enters the courtroom, what is he overcome by?
(a) People shouting for his beheading.
(b) The sun shining through the blinds.
(c) The cold temperature and darkness.
(d) The show of support by his friends.
6. How many times does Meursault shoot the Arab?
7. How does Meursault answer the question of why he hesitated before firing four more shots into the Arab's body?
(a) With an honest answer.
(b) By withholding certain information.
(c) With a detailed response.
(d) By telling a complete lie.
8. On the day of his trial, where is Meursault taken in handcuffs?
(a) To the dungeon.
(b) To an undisclosed location.
(c) To the courthouse.
(d) Throught the streets.
9. How does Meursault feel when he thinks the thoughts of a free man?
10. How does Meursault react to his friends in the courtroom?
(a) He doesn't notice them.
(b) He waves at them.
(c) He doesn't acknowledge them.
(d) He hugs each of them.
11. What is Meursault's view from his cell?
(a) A dark wall with water dripping down it.
(b) The mountains and darkness.
(c) A small glimpse of the dirt outside the window.
(d) The water and the changing shades of sunlight.
12. When Raymond testifies, for what is he criticized?
(a) His friendship with Meursault.
(b) His indecent lifestyle.
(c) His love of the beach.
(d) His lies on the stand.
13. Which of the following is true about how Meursault has handled prison conditions?
(a) He has lost himself.
(b) He has adapted.
(c) He has remained stubborn.
(d) He has grown accustomed to the dark.
14. What does Salamano say in his testimony?
(a) That Meursault was an odd soul who lived in the apartments.
(b) That Meursault had very few friends.
(c) That Meursault was kind during the disappearance of his dog.
(d) That Meursault was a stoic individual.
15. How many times does Marie visit Meursault in prison?
(a) Every day.
(c) 5 times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Perez testify about in court?
2. Where is Meursault while his fate is being decided in the courtroom?
3. When Meursault and Raymond return to the cottage, why does Meursault not come up the steps?
4. What method of transportation do Meursault, Raymond, and Marie take to the beach house?
5. After asking Meursault to confirm his identity, what question does the Magistrate ask him?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)