|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Masson take Raymond for the treatment of his cuts on the beach?
(a) To the doctor's house.
(b) To Raymond's house.
(c) To the hospital in town.
(d) To the beach house.
2. In the interrogation room, which of the following does Meursault notice?
(c) The grime.
(d) The pretty policewoman.
3. Where does Meursault find his attorney?
(a) The attorney is a family friend.
(b) The attorney is a recommendation from Raymond.
(c) The court appoints the attorney.
(d) He finds the attorney in the phone book.
4. Of what implications of his actions does Meursault seem most aware?
(a) He seems aware that he will feel guilt.
(b) He seems aware that he will be found guilty.
(c) He doesn't seem aware of implications.
(d) He seems aware that he will not marry Marie.
5. Why does Meursault feel sleepy and dizzy walking after lunch at the beach house?
(a) He has a stomach virus.
(b) He has had too much wine and it is hot.
(c) He is nervous about marrying Marie.
(d) He drank too much salt water.
6. Why doesn't Meursault understand why he can't have cigarettes?
(a) Because he doesn't understand his punishment.
(b) Because they are a need.
(c) Because he is crazy.
(d) Because they don't hurt anyone else.
7. As Meursault waits for his trial, what does he notice about the noise in the courtroom?
(a) There are hushed whispers.
(b) There is much commotion.
(c) There is a consistent tapping.
(d) It is completely quiet.
8. How does Meursault react to his friends in the courtroom?
(a) He waves at them.
(b) He doesn't notice them.
(c) He doesn't acknowledge them.
(d) He hugs each of them.
9. When does the local magistrate question Meursault?
(a) The day after the chaplain visits.
(b) The day after his attorney arrives.
(c) The day before the trial.
(d) The day of the interrogation.
10. How does Meursault perceive being deprived of things after several months in prison?
(a) As normal.
(b) As a punishment.
(c) As necessary.
(d) As a reward.
11. The injuries that Raymond receives from the knife fight can be described by which of the following words?
(d) Life threatening.
12. While Masson is helping Raymond attend to his injuries, what does Meursault do?
(a) Goes back to his apartment.
(b) Returns to tell the women what happened.
(c) Calls Raymond's mother.
(d) Stays with Raymond.
13. How does Meursault feel about Marie's attempts to instill hope?
(a) They are comforting.
(b) They feel pathetic.
(c) They are rude.
(d) They are torture to him.
14. According to the novel, how do most people who have been accused of murder receive God?
(a) Most deny that God exists.
(b) Most already have a deep belief in God.
(c) Most refuse to believe that God loves them.
(d) Most find God in an attempt to cling to something.
15. When he is led back into the courtroom, what does Meursault notice?
(a) The prosecution.
(b) His friends.
(c) The press.
(d) The jury.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Marie visit Meursault in prison?
2. How does Marie try to instill hope in Meursault?
3. When Meursault tells the guard about the things that he misses, what does the guard say?
4. Who reads the witness list in the courtroom?
5. What does the prosecutor say about Meursault's intelligence?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)