|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After asking Meursault to confirm his identity, what question does the Magistrate ask him?
(a) Why he killed the Arab.
(b) Why he sent his mother to the nursing home.
(c) Why he is in prison.
(d) Why he wrote the letter for Raymond.
2. Where does Meursault find his attorney?
(a) He finds the attorney in the phone book.
(b) The attorney is a family friend.
(c) The court appoints the attorney.
(d) The attorney is a recommendation from Raymond.
3. As the trial progresses, what happens to Meursault's level of interest?
(a) He becomes more interested.
(b) He maintains the same level of interest.
(c) He becomes only interested in his fate.
(d) He becomes less interested.
4. What do the women do while the men take a walk after lunch at the beach house?
(a) Clean the dishes.
(b) Sit and drink wine.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Go for a walk.
5. When does the local magistrate question Meursault?
(a) The day after the chaplain visits.
(b) The day before the trial.
(c) The day of the interrogation.
(d) The day after his attorney arrives.
6. What distracts Meursault when Marie comes to visit him in prison?
(a) The noise.
(b) His upcoming death.
(c) His unshavenness.
(d) Her beauty.
7. What element of nature has played a role in all the negative episodes of Meursault's life?
(a) The moon.
(c) The sun.
8. When Raymond and Meursault return to the beach after Raymond is injured, what does Raymond ask Meursault if he should do?
(a) Move to England.
(b) Shoot the Arabs.
(c) Go swimming.
(d) Sleep with Mason's wife.
9. The injuries that Raymond receives from the knife fight can be described by which of the following words?
(c) Life threatening.
10. How are Marie and Meursault physically situated when she comes to visit him in prison?
(a) They purposely sit apart from each other.
(b) They are separated by a divider.
(c) She sits in his lap.
(d) They sit close to each other, embracing.
11. How can the lights in the visiting room of the prison be described?
12. On the day of his trial, where does Meursault wait for his trial to begin?
(a) In a holding room.
(b) In the back of the courtroom.
(c) In an alley way.
(d) In his cell.
13. When Meursault finds the Arab man next to the water, how does the Arab react?
(a) He yells for help.
(b) He pulls out a knife.
(c) He continues to sleep.
(d) He pulls out a gun.
14. Why doesn't Meursault understand why he can't have cigarettes?
(a) Because he doesn't understand his punishment.
(b) Because he is crazy.
(c) Because they don't hurt anyone else.
(d) Because they are a need.
15. How do the people in the courtroom feel about what Meursault says in his own defense?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the authorities feel about Meursault's lack of emotion?
2. What method of transportation do Meursault, Raymond, and Marie take to the beach house?
3. How does Meursault react to his friends in the courtroom?
4. When does prison seem most harsh to Meursault?
5. What does Meursault observe about the physical surroundings of the interrogation room?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)