|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the people in the neighborhood typically respond to Salamano?
(a) They think of him as a source of entertainment.
(b) They invite him into their homes.
(c) They feel bad for him.
(d) They are afraid of him.
2. After spending the day together, where do Meursault and Marie go in the evening after his mother's funeral?
(a) To the cafe.
(b) To his mother's grave site.
(c) To a movie.
(d) To an all-night diner.
3. As the police leave Raymond's home, what do they tell Raymond to do?
(a) Control his woman.
(b) Turn in the letter that he wrote.
(c) Make himself available for questioning.
(d) Keep the neighborhood quiet.
4. How does the policeman respond to Raymond's verbal abuse when the police come to his home?
(a) By handcuffing him.
(b) By pushing him to the ground.
(c) By threatening him with a gun.
(d) With a slap.
5. How does Meursault respond to Salamano's news about the dog when he returns home from having dinner with the odd woman?
(a) He invites him to his apartment.
(b) He is extremely empathetic.
(c) He is very interested.
(d) He tells him to go away.
6. Who writes a letter to Raymond's mistress begging her to return?
(c) Raymond's brother.
(d) His mistress's brother.
7. Who meets Meursault when he arrives for his mother's funeral?
(a) His father.
(b) The village doctor.
(c) His uncle's two children.
(d) The caretaker of the nursing home.
8. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
(a) He lies and says that he does.
(b) He lies and says that he does not.
(c) He admits that he does not.
(d) He admits that he does.
9. What does Raymond say regarding Meursault's mother's death?
(a) It should prevent Meursault from going to work.
(b) It is a sad occasion which Meursault should never forget.
(c) It was bound to happen one day.
(d) It is an excuse for Meursault to become a criminal.
10. Immediately after lunch on his first day back to work, where does Meursault go?
(a) Back to work.
(b) Home to take a nap.
(c) To the park for a walk.
(d) To Marie's place to see if she is home.
11. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
12. What piece of clothing does Marie notice that Meursault is wearing that indicates he is mourning?
(a) His shirt.
(b) His jewelry.
(c) His armband.
(d) His tie.
13. What does Raymond suggest that he and the person who accompanied him do after they return back from the police station?
(a) Go to the pub.
(b) Go to the movies.
(c) Go to get dinner.
(d) Go to a brothel.
14. What comment does Meursault make to Marie about the people in Paris?
(a) They sleep too much.
(b) They are mean.
(c) They are too pale.
(d) They drink too much.
15. The day that Meursault and Marie become engaged, where does Meursault eat dinner?
(c) Marie's parents'.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, where does he eat lunch?
2. Why is Meursault relieved about the Monday after his mother's funeral?
3. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
4. How do the other tenants respond to the commotion in Raymond's apartment?
5. The day after Meursault and Marie spend the night together, when does Meursault try to contact her?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)