|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Meursault refuse to call the police when the commotion is going on in Raymond's apartment?
(a) Because Marie is a fugitive.
(b) Because Meursault does not like policemen.
(c) Because Meursault has warrants out for him.
(d) Because Raymond is his friend.
2. Where do Meursault and Marie spend the night after their day together?
(a) At her house.
(b) At his apartment.
(c) At the beach.
(d) In the park.
3. What does Raymond suggest that he and the person who accompanied him do after they return back from the police station?
(a) Go to the pub.
(b) Go to get dinner.
(c) Go to the movies.
(d) Go to a brothel.
4. Why does Meursault turn down the job in Paris?
(a) He doesn't want to learn a new language.
(b) He wants to be close to his mother's grave.
(c) He is content with his current position.
(d) He doesn't want to leave Marie.
5. Who meets Meursault when he arrives for his mother's funeral?
(a) His uncle's two children.
(b) The caretaker of the nursing home.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) His father.
6. How does Meursault regard interruptions to his work schedule?
(a) As necessary to his mental health.
(b) As a nice break.
(c) As pleasant but unnecessary.
(d) As unwelcome.
7. What did the neighbors say when Meursault put his mother in the home?
(a) They said that he was a perfect son.
(b) They said it was about time.
(c) They said disparaging things about him.
(d) They said he should have chosen a closer home.
8. When the sun sets the Sunday after his mother's funeral, what does Meursault think?
(a) He will miss the weekend.
(b) He has lived through another Sunday.
(c) He doesn't want to go to work on Monday.
(d) He decides it is almost time for the sun to set on himself.
9. As Salamano looks for his dog, what does Raymond suggest?
(a) Most dogs return to their owners.
(b) Dogs run away when they are hungry.
(c) The dog went off to die.
(d) The dog was probably stolen.
10. Where does the funeral procession travel?
(a) To a small plot on family land.
(b) To the private cemetery behind the nursing home.
(c) To the train station.
(d) To the village cemetery.
11. What is the weather like for the funeral procession?
(a) Intensely hot.
(b) Freezing cold.
(c) Calm and breezy.
(d) Pouring rain.
12. How did Meursault know Marie?
(a) She was his neighbor.
(b) She was a family friend.
(c) She was a co-worker.
(d) She was his mother's sister.
13. What is Raymond's physical structure?
(a) Tall and gangly.
(b) Wide and unathletic.
(c) Small and weak.
(d) Short and sturdy.
14. What does Meursault do on the morning after his night with Marie?
(a) Walk around town.
(b) Drink scotch.
(c) Smoke cigarettes.
(d) Search for Marie.
15. How does Meursault show grief the weekend following his mother's death?
(a) By avoiding people.
(b) By returning to her favorite places.
(c) Through his interactions with friends.
(d) He doesn't.
Short Answer Questions
1. After spending the day together, where do Meursault and Marie go in the evening after his mother's funeral?
2. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
3. How does Meursault interpret his employer's response to his mother's death?
4. What does Salamano have with him when Meursault sees him in front of his apartment?
5. What does Marie notice about Meursault's reaction to his mother's death?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)