|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the Sunday following Meursault's mother's death, where does he spend the afternoon?
(a) In his apartment.
(b) In the funeral home.
(c) At the beach.
(d) At the cafe.
2. What does Salamano have with him when Meursault sees him in front of his apartment?
(a) A package from the post office.
(b) A pistol.
(c) His mangy dog.
3. Whose beach house do Raymond, Meursault, and Marie visit?
(a) Raymond's friend's.
(c) Raymond's mistress's.
(d) Raymond's brother's.
4. Before Raymond invites Meursault over for dinner, what is Meursault thinking about eating?
(b) Boiled potatoes.
(d) Pot pie.
5. When Meursault returns to his job, how does he approach the work that has piled up?
(a) He plunges into it.
(b) He asks for help with it.
(c) He slowly sifts through it.
(d) He avoids it.
6. What does Marie notice about Meursault's reaction to his mother's death?
(a) He is less friendly than normal.
(b) He is terribly depressed.
(c) He doesn't show signs of grief.
(d) He seems almost happy that she is gone.
7. Which of the following does Meursault NOT notice during his reflections the weekend after his mother's funeral?
(a) The scent of Marie on his pillow.
(b) The feel of water on his skin.
(c) The noise of children fighting.
(d) The sky's colors.
8. What is Meursault's feelings about his and Marie's upcoming marriage?
(a) He has no emotions regarding it.
(b) He is dreading the wedding.
(c) He is very excited.
(d) He is angry about it.
9. How does Perez respond to the grief and exhaustion of the funeral procession?
(a) He faints.
(b) He remains stoic.
(c) He excuses himself from the funeral.
(d) He sobs wildly.
10. What else does Meursault believe has changed with his mother's death?
(a) His mental stablity.
(c) His dependence on family.
(d) His love for Marie.
11. How does Meursault respond to Salamano's news about the dog when he returns home from having dinner with the odd woman?
(a) He tells him to go away.
(b) He is very interested.
(c) He invites him to his apartment.
(d) He is extremely empathetic.
12. What is Raymond's physical structure?
(a) Wide and unathletic.
(b) Short and sturdy.
(c) Small and weak.
(d) Tall and gangly.
13. How does Meursault interpret his employer's response to his mother's death?
(a) He thinks the employer shows no sympathy.
(b) He is angry that the employer will not give him time off.
(c) He is grateful for the employer's accomodations.
(d) He thinks his employer is mocking him.
14. What mode of transportation does Meursault take to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
15. How does Meursault show grief the weekend following his mother's death?
(a) Through his interactions with friends.
(b) He doesn't.
(c) By returning to her favorite places.
(d) By avoiding people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
2. What is the weather like for the funeral procession?
3. How do the other tenants respond to the commotion in Raymond's apartment?
4. When Meursault returns to work, how does his employer respond?
5. Where do Meursault and Marie spend the night after their day together?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)