|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Meursault's employer chastise him?
(a) Being distracted.
(b) Inconsistent support of the company.
(d) Lack of ambition.
2. How does Meursault end up eating with an odd woman that he doesn't know?
(a) She seats herself at his table.
(b) She is sent by Marie to watch him.
(c) He invites her to dinner after meeting her in the street.
(d) She is a friend of a friend.
3. Which of the following phrases describes Meursault's behavior at his mother's funeral?
(a) Marked by anger.
(b) Full of visible grief.
(c) Displaying little emotion.
(d) Obviously anxious.
4. What does Marie think of the lunch that Meursault cooks for her?
(a) She thinks that it is terrible.
(b) She thinks that it is adequate.
(c) She thinks that it is wonderful.
(d) She says she isn't hungry and doesn't eat it.
5. How does Perez respond to the grief and exhaustion of the funeral procession?
(a) He sobs wildly.
(b) He remains stoic.
(c) He excuses himself from the funeral.
(d) He faints.
6. How old does Meursault say that his mother was at the time of her death?
(a) He doesn't know.
7. How does Meursault respond to Salamano's news about the dog when he returns home from having dinner with the odd woman?
(a) He is very interested.
(b) He tells him to go away.
(c) He invites him to his apartment.
(d) He is extremely empathetic.
8. How does Meursault show grief the weekend following his mother's death?
(a) He doesn't.
(b) Through his interactions with friends.
(c) By returning to her favorite places.
(d) By avoiding people.
9. The day after Meursault and Marie spend the night together, when does Meursault try to contact her?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) Within an hour of her leaving.
(c) Late in the evening.
(d) He doesn't try to contact her.
10. Why doesn't Salamano want to check the pound for his dog?
(a) He would have to pay a fee to get it back.
(b) He thinks that the pound is creepy.
(c) He is afraid the dog is hurt.
(d) He will be upset if the dog is not there.
11. What offer does Meursault receive and refuse when at the morgue?
(a) The offer to remove the coffin lid.
(b) The offer to sell him a nicer coffin.
(c) The offer to bury his mother in England.
(d) The offer to stay with his mother's body.
12. How do the other tenants respond to the commotion in Raymond's apartment?
(a) They come to see what is going on.
(b) They offer to help him.
(c) They leave the apartment complex.
(d) They remain in their apartments.
13. When Meursault returns to work, how does his employer respond?
(a) With concerned questions.
(b) With flowers.
(c) With apathy.
(d) With overwhelming accomodations.
14. What does Salamano have with him when Meursault sees him in front of his apartment?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A package from the post office.
(c) His mangy dog.
15. About what time does Salamano reminisce with Meursault?
(a) When Meursault was a single man.
(b) When Meursault had a cat.
(c) When Meursault and Salamano went to the beach.
(d) When Meursault's mother lived with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie notice about Meursault's reaction to his mother's death?
2. How does the proposal between Marie and Meursault occur?
3. How does Meursault regard interruptions to his work schedule?
4. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
5. Why is Meursault relieved about the Monday after his mother's funeral?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)