|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Perez?
(a) A very close friend of Meursault's mother.
(b) An acquaintance of Meursault.
(c) The caretaker's brother.
(d) A distant relative.
2. What does Raymond plan on doing when his mistress returns?
(a) Allowing her to stay but cutting her off financially.
(b) Welcoming her back in.
(c) Insulting her and kicking her out.
(d) Setting down clear rules.
3. When the sun sets the Sunday after his mother's funeral, what does Meursault think?
(a) He will miss the weekend.
(b) He doesn't want to go to work on Monday.
(c) He decides it is almost time for the sun to set on himself.
(d) He has lived through another Sunday.
4. How do the people in the neighborhood typically respond to Salamano?
(a) They invite him into their homes.
(b) They feel bad for him.
(c) They think of him as a source of entertainment.
(d) They are afraid of him.
5. After the day of the funeral, where does Meursault meet Marie?
(a) The cafe.
(b) The levee.
(c) The beach.
(d) The church.
6. How does Marie feel about the job Meursault was offered in Paris?
(a) It upsets her.
(b) She thinks the employer is trying to get rid of him.
(c) It intrigues her.
(d) She is glad he turned it down.
7. How does Meursault react to the people who are visibly grieving his mother's death at the funeral?
(a) He does not engage with them.
(b) He sympathizes with them.
(c) He becomes angry at them and yells.
(d) He asks them to leave.
8. Why does Meursault refuse to call the police when the commotion is going on in Raymond's apartment?
(a) Because Meursault has warrants out for him.
(b) Because Marie is a fugitive.
(c) Because Raymond is his friend.
(d) Because Meursault does not like policemen.
9. As the police leave Raymond's home, what do they tell Raymond to do?
(a) Turn in the letter that he wrote.
(b) Keep the neighborhood quiet.
(c) Control his woman.
(d) Make himself available for questioning.
10. What does Raymond suggest that he and the person who accompanied him do after they return back from the police station?
(a) Go to the pub.
(b) Go to a brothel.
(c) Go to the movies.
(d) Go to get dinner.
11. As Salamano looks for his dog, what does Raymond suggest?
(a) Most dogs return to their owners.
(b) The dog went off to die.
(c) The dog was probably stolen.
(d) Dogs run away when they are hungry.
12. How does Meursault show grief the weekend following his mother's death?
(a) Through his interactions with friends.
(b) By returning to her favorite places.
(c) He doesn't.
(d) By avoiding people.
13. The day that Meursault and Marie become engaged, where does Meursault eat dinner?
(a) Marie's parents'.
14. What does Raymond do with the letter to his mistress?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He saves it for future use.
(c) He sends it to his mistress.
(d) He throws it in the water.
15. What piece of clothing does Marie notice that Meursault is wearing that indicates he is mourning?
(a) His jewelry.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His tie.
(d) His armband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Raymond's physical structure?
2. How do the other tenants respond to the commotion in Raymond's apartment?
3. Why is Raymond tense before going to the beach house?
4. What mode of transportation does Meursault take to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
5. Why does a job open up in Paris with Meursault's company?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)