|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Raymond plan on doing when his mistress returns?
(a) Allowing her to stay but cutting her off financially.
(b) Insulting her and kicking her out.
(c) Welcoming her back in.
(d) Setting down clear rules.
2. Who is Perez?
(a) An acquaintance of Meursault.
(b) A distant relative.
(c) The caretaker's brother.
(d) A very close friend of Meursault's mother.
3. Which of the following phrases describes Meursault's behavior at his mother's funeral?
(a) Displaying little emotion.
(b) Obviously anxious.
(c) Marked by anger.
(d) Full of visible grief.
4. Who comes to the morgue and stays with Meursault throughout the night?
(a) No one.
(b) His mother's friends from the nursing home.
(c) His brother.
(d) His friend from home.
5. Why does Meursault take so much pleasure in washing his hands on the morning he returns to work?
(a) The towel hasn't yet gotten too wet from daily use.
(b) The sound of the running water reminds him of the beach.
(c) The warmth of the water reminds him of Marie.
(d) He is up from his desk and avoiding work.
6. Where does Meursault eat before traveling to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
(a) At his house.
(b) At the local pub.
(c) At his brother's house.
(d) At his favorite cafe.
7. Why is Meursault relieved about the Monday after his mother's funeral?
(a) Because he can resume work.
(b) Because he will get to see his friends.
(c) Because he won't have to do much at work.
(d) Because Monday was his mother's favorite day.
8. What name does Raymond's mistress call him?
(a) A dog.
(b) A cheater.
(c) An abuser.
(d) A pimp.
9. As Salamano looks for his dog, what does Raymond suggest?
(a) The dog was probably stolen.
(b) Dogs run away when they are hungry.
(c) The dog went off to die.
(d) Most dogs return to their owners.
10. As the police leave Raymond's home, what do they tell Raymond to do?
(a) Control his woman.
(b) Make himself available for questioning.
(c) Keep the neighborhood quiet.
(d) Turn in the letter that he wrote.
11. Why doesn't Salamano want to check the pound for his dog?
(a) He is afraid the dog is hurt.
(b) He thinks that the pound is creepy.
(c) He will be upset if the dog is not there.
(d) He would have to pay a fee to get it back.
12. How does Marie react to the news that Meursault's mother has died only one day before she spends the day with Meursault?
(a) She is surprised.
(b) She is relieved.
(c) She is depressed.
(d) She is angry.
13. What does Raymond do with the letter to his mistress?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He saves it for future use.
(c) He throws it in the water.
(d) He sends it to his mistress.
14. How do the other tenants respond to the commotion in Raymond's apartment?
(a) They offer to help him.
(b) They come to see what is going on.
(c) They remain in their apartments.
(d) They leave the apartment complex.
15. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, where does he eat lunch?
(a) At Celeste's.
(b) At the pub.
(c) As a friend's house.
(d) At his apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people in the neighborhood typically respond to Salamano?
2. What do Meursault and the odd woman talk about during dinner?
3. How does Meursault react to the people who are visibly grieving his mother's death at the funeral?
4. How does Meursault show grief the weekend following his mother's death?
5. How does Meursault interpret his employer's response to his mother's death?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)