|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marie think of the lunch that Meursault cooks for her?
(a) She thinks that it is adequate.
(b) She thinks that it is wonderful.
(c) She thinks that it is terrible.
(d) She says she isn't hungry and doesn't eat it.
2. The day after Meursault and Marie spend the night together, when does Meursault try to contact her?
(a) Late in the evening.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) He doesn't try to contact her.
(d) Within an hour of her leaving.
3. How does Perez respond to the grief and exhaustion of the funeral procession?
(a) He sobs wildly.
(b) He remains stoic.
(c) He faints.
(d) He excuses himself from the funeral.
4. What causes Meursault to be overwhelmed with the desire to kiss Marie?
(a) When she is mean to him.
(b) When she looks pitiful.
(c) When she smiles a certain way.
(d) When she caresses his neck.
5. What does Meursault do when he wakes up in the morning and Marie is gone?
(a) He springs out of bed and begins a search for her.
(b) He is relieved and quietly creeps out unnoticed.
(c) He lays in bed and tries to recapture her essence.
(d) He begins sobbing.
6. What is Meursault's feelings about his and Marie's upcoming marriage?
(a) He is angry about it.
(b) He is very excited.
(c) He is dreading the wedding.
(d) He has no emotions regarding it.
7. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, where does he eat lunch?
(a) At Celeste's.
(b) At his apartment.
(c) As a friend's house.
(d) At the pub.
8. How do the people in the neighborhood typically respond to Salamano?
(a) They think of him as a source of entertainment.
(b) They feel bad for him.
(c) They are afraid of him.
(d) They invite him into their homes.
9. How does Marie feel about the job Meursault was offered in Paris?
(a) She is glad he turned it down.
(b) It upsets her.
(c) It intrigues her.
(d) She thinks the employer is trying to get rid of him.
10. After the day of the funeral, where does Meursault meet Marie?
(a) The church.
(b) The beach.
(c) The cafe.
(d) The levee.
11. What is the weather like for the funeral procession?
(a) Intensely hot.
(b) Pouring rain.
(c) Freezing cold.
(d) Calm and breezy.
12. Where does Meursault go on the night of the funeral?
(a) To the beach.
(b) To the church.
(c) To the gravesite.
(d) To his apartment.
13. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
14. Why does Meursault turn down the job in Paris?
(a) He doesn't want to leave Marie.
(b) He doesn't want to learn a new language.
(c) He wants to be close to his mother's grave.
(d) He is content with his current position.
15. What does Meursault do on the morning after his night with Marie?
(a) Search for Marie.
(b) Smoke cigarettes.
(c) Walk around town.
(d) Drink scotch.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a gesture of their new friendship what does Raymond offer to Meursault?
2. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, who does he meet for lunch?
3. When the sun sets the Sunday after his mother's funeral, what does Meursault think?
4. When Raymond opens his door during the commotion, what is obvious?
5. What offer does Meursault receive and refuse when at the morgue?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)