|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the proposal between Marie and Meursault occur?
(a) Marie threatens to leave if Meursault doesn't marry her.
(b) Meursault offhandedly says they should get married.
(c) Meursault suprises Marie with a ring.
(d) Marie asks Meursault to marry her.
2. Who writes a letter to Raymond's mistress begging her to return?
(c) Raymond's brother.
(d) His mistress's brother.
3. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
(a) Because people in Paris will understand Meursault.
(b) Because Meursault is the only employee fluent in French.
(c) Because Paris is a lively city for a young man.
(d) Because Meursault needs to get away from his surroundings.
4. Why doesn't Salamano want to check the pound for his dog?
(a) He is afraid the dog is hurt.
(b) He will be upset if the dog is not there.
(c) He thinks that the pound is creepy.
(d) He would have to pay a fee to get it back.
5. Where does the funeral procession travel?
(a) To a small plot on family land.
(b) To the village cemetery.
(c) To the train station.
(d) To the private cemetery behind the nursing home.
6. As Salamano looks for his dog, what does Raymond suggest?
(a) The dog went off to die.
(b) Dogs run away when they are hungry.
(c) Most dogs return to their owners.
(d) The dog was probably stolen.
7. Which of the following does Meursault NOT notice during his reflections the weekend after his mother's funeral?
(a) The sky's colors.
(b) The feel of water on his skin.
(c) The scent of Marie on his pillow.
(d) The noise of children fighting.
8. How does Meursault regard interruptions to his work schedule?
(a) As necessary to his mental health.
(b) As a nice break.
(c) As pleasant but unnecessary.
(d) As unwelcome.
9. After the day of the funeral, where does Meursault meet Marie?
(a) The levee.
(b) The cafe.
(c) The church.
(d) The beach.
10. Who accompanies Raymond to the police station as a witness?
(b) No one.
11. When Meursault returns to his job, how does he approach the work that has piled up?
(a) He plunges into it.
(b) He asks for help with it.
(c) He avoids it.
(d) He slowly sifts through it.
12. How do the people in the neighborhood typically respond to Salamano?
(a) They think of him as a source of entertainment.
(b) They invite him into their homes.
(c) They feel bad for him.
(d) They are afraid of him.
13. Why does Meursault take so much pleasure in washing his hands on the morning he returns to work?
(a) The towel hasn't yet gotten too wet from daily use.
(b) The sound of the running water reminds him of the beach.
(c) The warmth of the water reminds him of Marie.
(d) He is up from his desk and avoiding work.
14. Which of the following items does Meursault borrow from a friend before traveling to his mother's funeral?
(b) A watch.
(c) A suit.
(d) A black tie.
15. How does the policeman respond to Raymond's verbal abuse when the police come to his home?
(a) By handcuffing him.
(b) With a slap.
(c) By pushing him to the ground.
(d) By threatening him with a gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following phrases describes Meursault's behavior at his mother's funeral?
2. After his first week back at work after his mother's death, where does Meursault spend time with Marie?
3. What is the weather like for the funeral procession?
4. Where does Meursault eat before traveling to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
5. How does Meursault view Raymond's desire to be his friend?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)