|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Meursault know Marie?
(a) She was his neighbor.
(b) She was his mother's sister.
(c) She was a family friend.
(d) She was a co-worker.
2. Which of the following phrases describes Meursault's behavior at his mother's funeral?
(a) Obviously anxious.
(b) Displaying little emotion.
(c) Marked by anger.
(d) Full of visible grief.
3. When Meursault returns to his job, how does he approach the work that has piled up?
(a) He avoids it.
(b) He asks for help with it.
(c) He slowly sifts through it.
(d) He plunges into it.
4. The day that Meursault and Marie become engaged, where does Meursault eat dinner?
(b) Marie's parents'.
5. What does Raymond suggest that he and the person who accompanied him do after they return back from the police station?
(a) Go to the movies.
(b) Go to the pub.
(c) Go to get dinner.
(d) Go to a brothel.
6. In reaction to news that his mother has died, how many days does Meursault ask off from his job?
7. What is Raymond's physical structure?
(a) Wide and unathletic.
(b) Small and weak.
(c) Tall and gangly.
(d) Short and sturdy.
8. What does Raymond do with the letter to his mistress?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He sends it to his mistress.
(c) He saves it for future use.
(d) He throws it in the water.
9. Who writes a letter to Raymond's mistress begging her to return?
(b) Raymond's brother.
(d) His mistress's brother.
10. When Meursault returns home after dinner with the odd woman, what news does Salamano give him about the dog?
(a) The dog is back home.
(b) The dog is in the pound.
(c) The dog is sick.
(d) The dog has not returned.
11. How old does Meursault say that his mother was at the time of her death?
(b) He doesn't know.
12. How does Marie feel about the job Meursault was offered in Paris?
(a) It upsets her.
(b) She is glad he turned it down.
(c) It intrigues her.
(d) She thinks the employer is trying to get rid of him.
13. Before Raymond invites Meursault over for dinner, what is Meursault thinking about eating?
(a) Boiled potatoes.
(c) Pot pie.
14. What does Marie think of the lunch that Meursault cooks for her?
(a) She thinks that it is adequate.
(b) She thinks that it is wonderful.
(c) She thinks that it is terrible.
(d) She says she isn't hungry and doesn't eat it.
15. How does Meursault view Raymond's desire to be his friend?
(a) As unrealistic.
(b) As odd.
(c) As fake.
(d) As kind.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the Sunday following Meursault's mother's death, where does he spend the afternoon?
2. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
3. What did the neighbors say when Meursault put his mother in the home?
4. Where does Meursault eat before traveling to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
5. As a gesture of their new friendship what does Raymond offer to Meursault?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)