|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what time does Salamano reminisce with Meursault?
(a) When Meursault's mother lived with him.
(b) When Meursault and Salamano went to the beach.
(c) When Meursault had a cat.
(d) When Meursault was a single man.
2. How old does Meursault say that his mother was at the time of her death?
(d) He doesn't know.
3. After spending the day together, where do Meursault and Marie go in the evening after his mother's funeral?
(a) To his mother's grave site.
(b) To a movie.
(c) To the cafe.
(d) To an all-night diner.
4. What does Meursault do on the morning after his night with Marie?
(a) Search for Marie.
(b) Walk around town.
(c) Smoke cigarettes.
(d) Drink scotch.
5. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
(a) Because Meursault is the only employee fluent in French.
(b) Because Meursault needs to get away from his surroundings.
(c) Because Paris is a lively city for a young man.
(d) Because people in Paris will understand Meursault.
6. How does Meursault interpret his employer's response to his mother's death?
(a) He thinks the employer shows no sympathy.
(b) He thinks his employer is mocking him.
(c) He is angry that the employer will not give him time off.
(d) He is grateful for the employer's accomodations.
7. When Raymond opens his door during the commotion, what is obvious?
(a) That much of the furniture has been damaged.
(b) That his mistress and him were having a nonviolent disagreement.
(c) That he and his mistress were physically fighting.
(d) That there was a robbery.
8. How does Meursault react to the people who are visibly grieving his mother's death at the funeral?
(a) He asks them to leave.
(b) He becomes angry at them and yells.
(c) He does not engage with them.
(d) He sympathizes with them.
9. What does Meursault do after eating with the odd woman?
(a) He tries to contact Marie.
(b) He seeks out Raymond.
(c) He follows her for a while.
(d) He invites her to his place.
10. Why does Meursault take so much pleasure in washing his hands on the morning he returns to work?
(a) The towel hasn't yet gotten too wet from daily use.
(b) He is up from his desk and avoiding work.
(c) The sound of the running water reminds him of the beach.
(d) The warmth of the water reminds him of Marie.
11. How does Meursault show grief the weekend following his mother's death?
(a) Through his interactions with friends.
(b) He doesn't.
(c) By returning to her favorite places.
(d) By avoiding people.
12. What does Salamano have with him when Meursault sees him in front of his apartment?
(a) A package from the post office.
(c) A pistol.
(d) His mangy dog.
13. What does Meursault see people doing as he sits by the window during the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
(a) Swimming in the tides.
(b) Chasing their dogs and yelling at their children.
(c) Going to church.
(d) Taking strolls and meeting friends at the cafe.
14. How does Marie react to the news that Meursault's mother has died only one day before she spends the day with Meursault?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She is surprised.
(c) She is depressed.
(d) She is relieved.
15. Who meets Meursault when he arrives for his mother's funeral?
(a) His uncle's two children.
(b) The caretaker of the nursing home.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Meursault returns to work, how does his employer respond?
2. How does Meursault end up eating with an odd woman that he doesn't know?
3. What did the neighbors say when Meursault put his mother in the home?
4. Why does a job open up in Paris with Meursault's company?
5. What does Raymond say regarding Meursault's mother's death?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)