|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Meursault eat before traveling to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
(a) At his house.
(b) At the local pub.
(c) At his brother's house.
(d) At his favorite cafe.
2. What does Meursault do after eating with the odd woman?
(a) He seeks out Raymond.
(b) He tries to contact Marie.
(c) He invites her to his place.
(d) He follows her for a while.
3. What piece of clothing does Marie notice that Meursault is wearing that indicates he is mourning?
(a) His jewelry.
(b) His armband.
(c) His shirt.
(d) His tie.
4. What did the neighbors say when Meursault put his mother in the home?
(a) They said it was about time.
(b) They said that he was a perfect son.
(c) They said disparaging things about him.
(d) They said he should have chosen a closer home.
5. What does Meursault see people doing as he sits by the window during the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
(a) Chasing their dogs and yelling at their children.
(b) Taking strolls and meeting friends at the cafe.
(c) Going to church.
(d) Swimming in the tides.
6. Why does Meursault turn down the job in Paris?
(a) He doesn't want to learn a new language.
(b) He is content with his current position.
(c) He doesn't want to leave Marie.
(d) He wants to be close to his mother's grave.
7. How does Meursault end up eating with an odd woman that he doesn't know?
(a) She is sent by Marie to watch him.
(b) She is a friend of a friend.
(c) He invites her to dinner after meeting her in the street.
(d) She seats herself at his table.
8. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
(a) Because Paris is a lively city for a young man.
(b) Because Meursault needs to get away from his surroundings.
(c) Because people in Paris will understand Meursault.
(d) Because Meursault is the only employee fluent in French.
9. What is Raymond's physical structure?
(a) Short and sturdy.
(b) Tall and gangly.
(c) Small and weak.
(d) Wide and unathletic.
10. What name does Raymond's mistress call him?
(a) A cheater.
(b) A pimp.
(c) An abuser.
(d) A dog.
11. What meal are Meursault and Marie planning to eat when they hear commotion in Raymond's apartment?
12. How does Marie react to the news that Meursault's mother has died only one day before she spends the day with Meursault?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She is relieved.
(c) She is depressed.
(d) She is surprised.
13. How does Meursault interpret his employer's response to his mother's death?
(a) He thinks the employer shows no sympathy.
(b) He is grateful for the employer's accomodations.
(c) He is angry that the employer will not give him time off.
(d) He thinks his employer is mocking him.
14. Why is Raymond tense before going to the beach house?
(a) Some Arabs are following them.
(b) He is beginning to get sick.
(c) He does not like the ocean.
(d) His mother is ill.
15. Who accompanies Raymond to the police station as a witness?
(b) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Meursault react to the people who are visibly grieving his mother's death at the funeral?
2. What comment does Meursault make to Marie about the people in Paris?
3. Where does the funeral procession travel?
4. What mode of transportation does Meursault take to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
5. Who meets Meursault when he arrives for his mother's funeral?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)