|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Raymond's mistress call him?
(a) An abuser.
(b) A dog.
(c) A pimp.
(d) A cheater.
2. What does Raymond plan on doing when his mistress returns?
(a) Insulting her and kicking her out.
(b) Setting down clear rules.
(c) Welcoming her back in.
(d) Allowing her to stay but cutting her off financially.
3. Why does a job open up in Paris with Meursault's company?
(a) They are opening a new branch.
(b) The branch manager left.
(c) They need a specialist.
(d) They are expanding.
4. How does Meursault show grief the weekend following his mother's death?
(a) By avoiding people.
(b) He doesn't.
(c) By returning to her favorite places.
(d) Through his interactions with friends.
5. Whose beach house do Raymond, Meursault, and Marie visit?
(a) Raymond's mistress's.
(b) Raymond's friend's.
(c) Raymond's brother's.
6. Why is Meursault relieved about the Monday after his mother's funeral?
(a) Because Monday was his mother's favorite day.
(b) Because he won't have to do much at work.
(c) Because he can resume work.
(d) Because he will get to see his friends.
7. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
(a) Because Meursault needs to get away from his surroundings.
(b) Because people in Paris will understand Meursault.
(c) Because Paris is a lively city for a young man.
(d) Because Meursault is the only employee fluent in French.
8. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
9. What does Meursault do on the way to visit his mother's village?
(a) Read the newspaper.
(b) Eat dinner.
(d) Write in a journal.
10. As Salamano looks for his dog, what does Raymond suggest?
(a) Dogs run away when they are hungry.
(b) The dog was probably stolen.
(c) Most dogs return to their owners.
(d) The dog went off to die.
11. How does Meursault react to the people who are visibly grieving his mother's death at the funeral?
(a) He does not engage with them.
(b) He sympathizes with them.
(c) He becomes angry at them and yells.
(d) He asks them to leave.
12. How does the policeman respond to Raymond's verbal abuse when the police come to his home?
(a) By pushing him to the ground.
(b) By handcuffing him.
(c) With a slap.
(d) By threatening him with a gun.
13. Which of the following items does Meursault borrow from a friend before traveling to his mother's funeral?
(b) A black tie.
(c) A watch.
(d) A suit.
14. About what time does Salamano reminisce with Meursault?
(a) When Meursault's mother lived with him.
(b) When Meursault had a cat.
(c) When Meursault was a single man.
(d) When Meursault and Salamano went to the beach.
15. How does Raymond feel that his mistress is treating him?
(a) He feels she is loving.
(b) He feels she is grateful.
(c) He feels she is abusive.
(d) He feels she is unfaithful.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Meursault's employer chastise him?
2. The day after Meursault and Marie spend the night together, when does Meursault try to contact her?
3. How did Meursault know Marie?
4. As a gesture of their new friendship what does Raymond offer to Meursault?
5. Why is Raymond's hand bandaged when Meursault comes over for dinner?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)