|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Meursault do on the morning after his night with Marie?
(a) Search for Marie.
(b) Walk around town.
(c) Drink scotch.
(d) Smoke cigarettes.
2. How does Marie feel about the job Meursault was offered in Paris?
(a) She is glad he turned it down.
(b) It upsets her.
(c) It intrigues her.
(d) She thinks the employer is trying to get rid of him.
3. On the Sunday following Meursault's mother's death, where does he spend the afternoon?
(a) In the funeral home.
(b) In his apartment.
(c) At the beach.
(d) At the cafe.
4. How old does Meursault say that his mother was at the time of her death?
(a) He doesn't know.
5. After the day of the funeral, where does Meursault meet Marie?
(a) The church.
(b) The levee.
(c) The beach.
(d) The cafe.
6. What piece of clothing does Marie notice that Meursault is wearing that indicates he is mourning?
(a) His tie.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His armband.
(d) His jewelry.
7. What does Marie think of the lunch that Meursault cooks for her?
(a) She says she isn't hungry and doesn't eat it.
(b) She thinks that it is wonderful.
(c) She thinks that it is terrible.
(d) She thinks that it is adequate.
8. What does Marie notice about Meursault's reaction to his mother's death?
(a) He seems almost happy that she is gone.
(b) He is terribly depressed.
(c) He is less friendly than normal.
(d) He doesn't show signs of grief.
9. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
(a) He admits that he does.
(b) He lies and says that he does.
(c) He admits that he does not.
(d) He lies and says that he does not.
10. When Meursault returns home after dinner with the odd woman, what news does Salamano give him about the dog?
(a) The dog is back home.
(b) The dog has not returned.
(c) The dog is sick.
(d) The dog is in the pound.
11. How does the proposal between Marie and Meursault occur?
(a) Meursault suprises Marie with a ring.
(b) Meursault offhandedly says they should get married.
(c) Marie asks Meursault to marry her.
(d) Marie threatens to leave if Meursault doesn't marry her.
12. How does Meursault show grief the weekend following his mother's death?
(a) He doesn't.
(b) By returning to her favorite places.
(c) Through his interactions with friends.
(d) By avoiding people.
13. Who falls back and takes short cuts during the funeral procession?
(a) The Caretaker.
(c) The ladies from the home.
14. Why is Raymond's hand bandaged when Meursault comes over for dinner?
(a) He got in a fight.
(b) He accidently shot himself.
(c) He cut his hand with a knife.
(d) He was attacked by a dog.
15. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
(a) Because people in Paris will understand Meursault.
(b) Because Meursault needs to get away from his surroundings.
(c) Because Paris is a lively city for a young man.
(d) Because Meursault is the only employee fluent in French.
Short Answer Questions
1. In reaction to news that his mother has died, how many days does Meursault ask off from his job?
2. What offer does Meursault receive and refuse when at the morgue?
3. Why is Raymond tense before going to the beach house?
4. Why does Meursault turn down the job in Paris?
5. The day that Meursault and Marie become engaged, where does Meursault eat dinner?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)