|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
(a) He lies and says that he does.
(b) He admits that he does.
(c) He lies and says that he does not.
(d) He admits that he does not.
2. How does the policeman respond to Raymond's verbal abuse when the police come to his home?
(a) By pushing him to the ground.
(b) With a slap.
(c) By handcuffing him.
(d) By threatening him with a gun.
3. How did Meursault know Marie?
(a) She was his neighbor.
(b) She was his mother's sister.
(c) She was a family friend.
(d) She was a co-worker.
4. What does Meursault do when he wakes up in the morning and Marie is gone?
(a) He is relieved and quietly creeps out unnoticed.
(b) He begins sobbing.
(c) He lays in bed and tries to recapture her essence.
(d) He springs out of bed and begins a search for her.
5. Why doesn't Salamano want to check the pound for his dog?
(a) He would have to pay a fee to get it back.
(b) He will be upset if the dog is not there.
(c) He thinks that the pound is creepy.
(d) He is afraid the dog is hurt.
6. What does Meursault do after eating with the odd woman?
(a) He seeks out Raymond.
(b) He tries to contact Marie.
(c) He invites her to his place.
(d) He follows her for a while.
7. Why does Meursault refuse to call the police when the commotion is going on in Raymond's apartment?
(a) Because Marie is a fugitive.
(b) Because Raymond is his friend.
(c) Because Meursault has warrants out for him.
(d) Because Meursault does not like policemen.
8. What name does Raymond's mistress call him?
(a) A dog.
(b) An abuser.
(c) A pimp.
(d) A cheater.
9. As Salamano looks for his dog, what does Raymond suggest?
(a) The dog was probably stolen.
(b) The dog went off to die.
(c) Most dogs return to their owners.
(d) Dogs run away when they are hungry.
10. Before Raymond invites Meursault over for dinner, what is Meursault thinking about eating?
(b) Boiled potatoes.
(c) Pot pie.
11. As a gesture of their new friendship what does Raymond offer to Meursault?
(a) An open invitation for dinner.
(b) A pen.
(c) Flowers from his garden.
(d) Sympathy for his mother's death.
12. Where does the funeral procession travel?
(a) To a small plot on family land.
(b) To the village cemetery.
(c) To the train station.
(d) To the private cemetery behind the nursing home.
13. What else does Meursault believe has changed with his mother's death?
(a) His love for Marie.
(b) His dependence on family.
(c) His mental stablity.
14. Why is Raymond tense before going to the beach house?
(a) He does not like the ocean.
(b) Some Arabs are following them.
(c) His mother is ill.
(d) He is beginning to get sick.
15. How do the people in the neighborhood typically respond to Salamano?
(a) They feel bad for him.
(b) They invite him into their homes.
(c) They think of him as a source of entertainment.
(d) They are afraid of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Raymond opens his door during the commotion, what is obvious?
2. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
3. What piece of clothing does Marie notice that Meursault is wearing that indicates he is mourning?
4. When Meursault returns to his job, how does he approach the work that has piled up?
5. How does Marie feel about the job Meursault was offered in Paris?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)