|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else does Meursault believe has changed with his mother's death?
(b) His mental stablity.
(c) His dependence on family.
(d) His love for Marie.
2. When Meursault returns to his job, how does he approach the work that has piled up?
(a) He plunges into it.
(b) He asks for help with it.
(c) He avoids it.
(d) He slowly sifts through it.
3. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
(a) Because Paris is a lively city for a young man.
(b) Because Meursault needs to get away from his surroundings.
(c) Because people in Paris will understand Meursault.
(d) Because Meursault is the only employee fluent in French.
4. What does Marie notice about Meursault's reaction to his mother's death?
(a) He seems almost happy that she is gone.
(b) He is less friendly than normal.
(c) He doesn't show signs of grief.
(d) He is terribly depressed.
5. What does Raymond suggest that he and the person who accompanied him do after they return back from the police station?
(a) Go to the movies.
(b) Go to get dinner.
(c) Go to a brothel.
(d) Go to the pub.
6. How does Meursault respond to Salamano's news about the dog when he returns home from having dinner with the odd woman?
(a) He invites him to his apartment.
(b) He is extremely empathetic.
(c) He is very interested.
(d) He tells him to go away.
7. After the day of the funeral, where does Meursault meet Marie?
(a) The cafe.
(b) The beach.
(c) The levee.
(d) The church.
8. How does Marie feel about the job Meursault was offered in Paris?
(a) It intrigues her.
(b) She thinks the employer is trying to get rid of him.
(c) It upsets her.
(d) She is glad he turned it down.
9. Where does the funeral procession travel?
(a) To a small plot on family land.
(b) To the train station.
(c) To the village cemetery.
(d) To the private cemetery behind the nursing home.
10. How does Perez respond to the grief and exhaustion of the funeral procession?
(a) He faints.
(b) He remains stoic.
(c) He excuses himself from the funeral.
(d) He sobs wildly.
11. What does Meursault do on the morning after his night with Marie?
(a) Drink scotch.
(b) Smoke cigarettes.
(c) Search for Marie.
(d) Walk around town.
12. What comment does Meursault make to Marie about the people in Paris?
(a) They sleep too much.
(b) They are mean.
(c) They are too pale.
(d) They drink too much.
13. How does Raymond feel that his mistress is treating him?
(a) He feels she is unfaithful.
(b) He feels she is loving.
(c) He feels she is grateful.
(d) He feels she is abusive.
14. What does Meursault do on the way to visit his mother's village?
(b) Read the newspaper.
(c) Write in a journal.
(d) Eat dinner.
15. Why does a job open up in Paris with Meursault's company?
(a) The branch manager left.
(b) They need a specialist.
(c) They are opening a new branch.
(d) They are expanding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marie think of the lunch that Meursault cooks for her?
2. Why is Raymond's hand bandaged when Meursault comes over for dinner?
3. As the police leave Raymond's home, what do they tell Raymond to do?
4. How old does Meursault say that his mother was at the time of her death?
5. Immediately after lunch on his first day back to work, where does Meursault go?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)