|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Meursault returns to his job, how does he approach the work that has piled up?
(a) He avoids it.
(b) He asks for help with it.
(c) He slowly sifts through it.
(d) He plunges into it.
2. On the Sunday following Meursault's mother's death, where does he spend the afternoon?
(a) At the cafe.
(b) At the beach.
(c) In his apartment.
(d) In the funeral home.
3. Which of the following phrases describes Meursault's behavior at his mother's funeral?
(a) Obviously anxious.
(b) Full of visible grief.
(c) Marked by anger.
(d) Displaying little emotion.
4. What does Meursault see people doing as he sits by the window during the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
(a) Swimming in the tides.
(b) Taking strolls and meeting friends at the cafe.
(c) Going to church.
(d) Chasing their dogs and yelling at their children.
5. What does Meursault hear through his walls after talking to Salamano about the missing dog?
(a) Salamano arguing with someone.
(b) Salamano's cries.
(c) The dog barking.
(d) A gunshot.
6. How do the people in the neighborhood typically respond to Salamano?
(a) They are afraid of him.
(b) They invite him into their homes.
(c) They feel bad for him.
(d) They think of him as a source of entertainment.
7. Which of the following items does Meursault borrow from a friend before traveling to his mother's funeral?
(a) A watch.
(b) A black tie.
(d) A suit.
8. What is the weather like for the funeral procession?
(a) Calm and breezy.
(b) Pouring rain.
(c) Freezing cold.
(d) Intensely hot.
9. What else does Meursault believe has changed with his mother's death?
(b) His dependence on family.
(c) His mental stablity.
(d) His love for Marie.
10. What name does Raymond's mistress call him?
(a) An abuser.
(b) A pimp.
(c) A dog.
(d) A cheater.
11. When Raymond opens his door during the commotion, what is obvious?
(a) That his mistress and him were having a nonviolent disagreement.
(b) That there was a robbery.
(c) That much of the furniture has been damaged.
(d) That he and his mistress were physically fighting.
12. Why is Raymond's hand bandaged when Meursault comes over for dinner?
(a) He cut his hand with a knife.
(b) He was attacked by a dog.
(c) He accidently shot himself.
(d) He got in a fight.
13. Who meets Meursault when he arrives for his mother's funeral?
(a) The village doctor.
(b) The caretaker of the nursing home.
(c) His father.
(d) His uncle's two children.
14. As Salamano looks for his dog, what does Raymond suggest?
(a) The dog went off to die.
(b) Dogs run away when they are hungry.
(c) The dog was probably stolen.
(d) Most dogs return to their owners.
15. The day that Meursault and Marie become engaged, where does Meursault eat dinner?
(a) Marie's parents'.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
2. As a gesture of their new friendship what does Raymond offer to Meursault?
3. Why does Meursault take so much pleasure in washing his hands on the morning he returns to work?
4. Which of the following does Meursault NOT notice during his reflections the weekend after his mother's funeral?
5. Whose beach house do Raymond, Meursault, and Marie visit?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)