|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The day that Meursault and Marie become engaged, where does Meursault eat dinner?
(c) Marie's parents'.
2. Why is Raymond's hand bandaged when Meursault comes over for dinner?
(a) He got in a fight.
(b) He cut his hand with a knife.
(c) He was attacked by a dog.
(d) He accidently shot himself.
3. What is Meursault's feelings about his and Marie's upcoming marriage?
(a) He has no emotions regarding it.
(b) He is very excited.
(c) He is angry about it.
(d) He is dreading the wedding.
4. How does Marie feel about the job Meursault was offered in Paris?
(a) She thinks the employer is trying to get rid of him.
(b) It intrigues her.
(c) It upsets her.
(d) She is glad he turned it down.
5. What does Raymond plan on doing when his mistress returns?
(a) Insulting her and kicking her out.
(b) Setting down clear rules.
(c) Welcoming her back in.
(d) Allowing her to stay but cutting her off financially.
6. What does Raymond say regarding Meursault's mother's death?
(a) It is an excuse for Meursault to become a criminal.
(b) It was bound to happen one day.
(c) It should prevent Meursault from going to work.
(d) It is a sad occasion which Meursault should never forget.
7. Who is Perez?
(a) A distant relative.
(b) A very close friend of Meursault's mother.
(c) An acquaintance of Meursault.
(d) The caretaker's brother.
8. How does the proposal between Marie and Meursault occur?
(a) Marie threatens to leave if Meursault doesn't marry her.
(b) Meursault offhandedly says they should get married.
(c) Marie asks Meursault to marry her.
(d) Meursault suprises Marie with a ring.
9. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
(a) He lies and says that he does not.
(b) He admits that he does.
(c) He lies and says that he does.
(d) He admits that he does not.
10. How does Meursault react to the people who are visibly grieving his mother's death at the funeral?
(a) He sympathizes with them.
(b) He does not engage with them.
(c) He asks them to leave.
(d) He becomes angry at them and yells.
11. In reaction to news that his mother has died, how many days does Meursault ask off from his job?
12. What does Meursault do after eating with the odd woman?
(a) He tries to contact Marie.
(b) He invites her to his place.
(c) He seeks out Raymond.
(d) He follows her for a while.
13. How does Meursault respond to Salamano's news about the dog when he returns home from having dinner with the odd woman?
(a) He is extremely empathetic.
(b) He is very interested.
(c) He invites him to his apartment.
(d) He tells him to go away.
14. Why does a job open up in Paris with Meursault's company?
(a) The branch manager left.
(b) They are opening a new branch.
(c) They need a specialist.
(d) They are expanding.
15. Why does Meursault take so much pleasure in washing his hands on the morning he returns to work?
(a) The towel hasn't yet gotten too wet from daily use.
(b) The sound of the running water reminds him of the beach.
(c) He is up from his desk and avoiding work.
(d) The warmth of the water reminds him of Marie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of clothing does Marie notice that Meursault is wearing that indicates he is mourning?
2. What comment does Meursault make to Marie about the people in Paris?
3. For what does Meursault's employer chastise him?
4. What did the neighbors say when Meursault put his mother in the home?
5. When Meursault returns home after dinner with the odd woman, what news does Salamano give him about the dog?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)