|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets Meursault when he arrives for his mother's funeral?
(a) His uncle's two children.
(b) The caretaker of the nursing home.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) His father.
2. What does Meursault hear through his walls after talking to Salamano about the missing dog?
(a) Salamano's cries.
(b) The dog barking.
(c) A gunshot.
(d) Salamano arguing with someone.
3. Which of the following items does Meursault borrow from a friend before traveling to his mother's funeral?
(a) A watch.
(c) A black tie.
(d) A suit.
4. Why is Raymond's hand bandaged when Meursault comes over for dinner?
(a) He cut his hand with a knife.
(b) He accidently shot himself.
(c) He was attacked by a dog.
(d) He got in a fight.
5. How does Meursault respond to Salamano's news about the dog when he returns home from having dinner with the odd woman?
(a) He is extremely empathetic.
(b) He is very interested.
(c) He invites him to his apartment.
(d) He tells him to go away.
6. How do the people in the neighborhood typically respond to Salamano?
(a) They think of him as a source of entertainment.
(b) They feel bad for him.
(c) They are afraid of him.
(d) They invite him into their homes.
7. What do Meursault and the odd woman talk about during dinner?
(a) They talk about the job in Paris.
(b) They talk about Marie.
(c) They talk about death.
(d) They do not engage in conversation.
8. Which of the following phrases describes Meursault's behavior at his mother's funeral?
(a) Displaying little emotion.
(b) Obviously anxious.
(c) Marked by anger.
(d) Full of visible grief.
9. How does Meursault react to the people who are visibly grieving his mother's death at the funeral?
(a) He does not engage with them.
(b) He sympathizes with them.
(c) He becomes angry at them and yells.
(d) He asks them to leave.
10. As Salamano looks for his dog, what does Raymond suggest?
(a) The dog was probably stolen.
(b) Dogs run away when they are hungry.
(c) The dog went off to die.
(d) Most dogs return to their owners.
11. When the sun sets the Sunday after his mother's funeral, what does Meursault think?
(a) He doesn't want to go to work on Monday.
(b) He has lived through another Sunday.
(c) He will miss the weekend.
(d) He decides it is almost time for the sun to set on himself.
12. Immediately after lunch on his first day back to work, where does Meursault go?
(a) To Marie's place to see if she is home.
(b) To the park for a walk.
(c) Back to work.
(d) Home to take a nap.
13. What does Meursault do after eating with the odd woman?
(a) He invites her to his place.
(b) He follows her for a while.
(c) He tries to contact Marie.
(d) He seeks out Raymond.
14. How does Meursault view Raymond's desire to be his friend?
(a) As unrealistic.
(b) As kind.
(c) As odd.
(d) As fake.
15. Why is Meursault relieved about the Monday after his mother's funeral?
(a) Because he will get to see his friends.
(b) Because he won't have to do much at work.
(c) Because Monday was his mother's favorite day.
(d) Because he can resume work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Meursault's feelings about his and Marie's upcoming marriage?
2. Why is Raymond tense before going to the beach house?
3. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
4. Why does a job open up in Paris with Meursault's company?
5. How old does Meursault say that his mother was at the time of her death?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)