|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mode of transportation does Meursault take to the village where his mother's retirement home is located?
2. Who asks Meursault to call the police when the commotion is going on in Raymond's apartment?
(d) Raymond's mistress.
3. Which of the following does Meursault NOT notice during his reflections the weekend after his mother's funeral?
(a) The feel of water on his skin.
(b) The scent of Marie on his pillow.
(c) The sky's colors.
(d) The noise of children fighting.
4. How did Meursault know Marie?
(a) She was a co-worker.
(b) She was a family friend.
(c) She was his neighbor.
(d) She was his mother's sister.
5. Why does a job open up in Paris with Meursault's company?
(a) They need a specialist.
(b) The branch manager left.
(c) They are expanding.
(d) They are opening a new branch.
6. How does Meursault react to the people who are visibly grieving his mother's death at the funeral?
(a) He asks them to leave.
(b) He becomes angry at them and yells.
(c) He sympathizes with them.
(d) He does not engage with them.
7. What does Marie think of the lunch that Meursault cooks for her?
(a) She thinks that it is adequate.
(b) She says she isn't hungry and doesn't eat it.
(c) She thinks that it is terrible.
(d) She thinks that it is wonderful.
8. Who meets Meursault when he arrives for his mother's funeral?
(a) The caretaker of the nursing home.
(b) His uncle's two children.
(c) His father.
(d) The village doctor.
9. How does Meursault respond to Salamano's news about the dog when he returns home from having dinner with the odd woman?
(a) He is extremely empathetic.
(b) He is very interested.
(c) He tells him to go away.
(d) He invites him to his apartment.
10. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, where does he eat lunch?
(a) At his apartment.
(b) At Celeste's.
(c) At the pub.
(d) As a friend's house.
11. Where does Meursault live at the start of the novel?
12. What did the neighbors say when Meursault put his mother in the home?
(a) They said that he was a perfect son.
(b) They said it was about time.
(c) They said he should have chosen a closer home.
(d) They said disparaging things about him.
13. How does Perez respond to the grief and exhaustion of the funeral procession?
(a) He sobs wildly.
(b) He excuses himself from the funeral.
(c) He faints.
(d) He remains stoic.
14. What does Meursault hear through his walls after talking to Salamano about the missing dog?
(a) Salamano's cries.
(b) A gunshot.
(c) The dog barking.
(d) Salamano arguing with someone.
15. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
(a) Because Meursault is the only employee fluent in French.
(b) Because Meursault needs to get away from his surroundings.
(c) Because Paris is a lively city for a young man.
(d) Because people in Paris will understand Meursault.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meursault do on the morning after his night with Marie?
2. Why is Meursault relieved about the Monday after his mother's funeral?
3. As Salamano looks for his dog, what does Raymond suggest?
4. Who writes a letter to Raymond's mistress begging her to return?
5. How does Meursault regard interruptions to his work schedule?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)