|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In reaction to news that his mother has died, how many days does Meursault ask off from his job?
2. Why is Raymond tense before going to the beach house?
(a) He is beginning to get sick.
(b) He does not like the ocean.
(c) Some Arabs are following them.
(d) His mother is ill.
3. What did the neighbors say when Meursault put his mother in the home?
(a) They said disparaging things about him.
(b) They said that he was a perfect son.
(c) They said he should have chosen a closer home.
(d) They said it was about time.
4. How do the other tenants respond to the commotion in Raymond's apartment?
(a) They offer to help him.
(b) They leave the apartment complex.
(c) They come to see what is going on.
(d) They remain in their apartments.
5. How does Meursault regard interruptions to his work schedule?
(a) As necessary to his mental health.
(b) As pleasant but unnecessary.
(c) As a nice break.
(d) As unwelcome.
6. Who accompanies Raymond to the police station as a witness?
(a) No one.
7. Where does the funeral procession travel?
(a) To the village cemetery.
(b) To the train station.
(c) To the private cemetery behind the nursing home.
(d) To a small plot on family land.
8. What does Raymond plan on doing when his mistress returns?
(a) Setting down clear rules.
(b) Allowing her to stay but cutting her off financially.
(c) Insulting her and kicking her out.
(d) Welcoming her back in.
9. What is the weather like for the funeral procession?
(a) Intensely hot.
(b) Freezing cold.
(c) Pouring rain.
(d) Calm and breezy.
10. Where does Meursault go on the night of the funeral?
(a) To the church.
(b) To the beach.
(c) To the gravesite.
(d) To his apartment.
11. What does Raymond suggest that he and the person who accompanied him do after they return back from the police station?
(a) Go to the pub.
(b) Go to the movies.
(c) Go to a brothel.
(d) Go to get dinner.
12. How does the proposal between Marie and Meursault occur?
(a) Meursault offhandedly says they should get married.
(b) Meursault suprises Marie with a ring.
(c) Marie asks Meursault to marry her.
(d) Marie threatens to leave if Meursault doesn't marry her.
13. After spending the day together, where do Meursault and Marie go in the evening after his mother's funeral?
(a) To his mother's grave site.
(b) To the cafe.
(c) To a movie.
(d) To an all-night diner.
14. Whose beach house do Raymond, Meursault, and Marie visit?
(a) Raymond's friend's.
(b) Raymond's mistress's.
(d) Raymond's brother's.
15. Which of the following does Meursault NOT notice during his reflections the weekend after his mother's funeral?
(a) The noise of children fighting.
(b) The sky's colors.
(c) The scent of Marie on his pillow.
(d) The feel of water on his skin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Meursault end up eating with an odd woman that he doesn't know?
2. How does Meursault view Raymond's desire to be his friend?
3. What does Meursault hear through his walls after talking to Salamano about the missing dog?
4. Why does Meursault take so much pleasure in washing his hands on the morning he returns to work?
5. About what time does Salamano reminisce with Meursault?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)