|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The day that Meursault and Marie become engaged, where does Meursault eat dinner?
(a) Marie's parents'.
2. When Meursault returns home after dinner with the odd woman, what news does Salamano give him about the dog?
(a) The dog is in the pound.
(b) The dog is back home.
(c) The dog has not returned.
(d) The dog is sick.
3. What comment does Meursault make to Marie about the people in Paris?
(a) They sleep too much.
(b) They are mean.
(c) They drink too much.
(d) They are too pale.
4. What does Marie think of the lunch that Meursault cooks for her?
(a) She thinks that it is terrible.
(b) She thinks that it is wonderful.
(c) She says she isn't hungry and doesn't eat it.
(d) She thinks that it is adequate.
5. What is Raymond's physical structure?
(a) Tall and gangly.
(b) Small and weak.
(c) Short and sturdy.
(d) Wide and unathletic.
6. Before Raymond invites Meursault over for dinner, what is Meursault thinking about eating?
(a) Pot pie.
(c) Boiled potatoes.
7. What does Meursault hear through his walls after talking to Salamano about the missing dog?
(a) A gunshot.
(b) Salamano arguing with someone.
(c) Salamano's cries.
(d) The dog barking.
8. When Meursault returns to his job, how does he approach the work that has piled up?
(a) He avoids it.
(b) He asks for help with it.
(c) He plunges into it.
(d) He slowly sifts through it.
9. How does Marie feel about the job Meursault was offered in Paris?
(a) She thinks the employer is trying to get rid of him.
(b) It upsets her.
(c) It intrigues her.
(d) She is glad he turned it down.
10. When Marie asks Meursault whether he loves her the first time, how does he respond?
(a) He admits that he does.
(b) He lies and says that he does.
(c) He lies and says that he does not.
(d) He admits that he does not.
11. What name does Raymond's mistress call him?
(a) A cheater.
(b) A pimp.
(c) A dog.
(d) An abuser.
12. What does Meursault see people doing as he sits by the window during the Sunday after his mother's funeral?
(a) Going to church.
(b) Chasing their dogs and yelling at their children.
(c) Swimming in the tides.
(d) Taking strolls and meeting friends at the cafe.
13. What does Meursault do on the way to visit his mother's village?
(a) Eat dinner.
(b) Read the newspaper.
(c) Write in a journal.
14. How does Meursault react to the people who are visibly grieving his mother's death at the funeral?
(a) He asks them to leave.
(b) He becomes angry at them and yells.
(c) He does not engage with them.
(d) He sympathizes with them.
15. What does Raymond plan on doing when his mistress returns?
(a) Insulting her and kicking her out.
(b) Setting down clear rules.
(c) Welcoming her back in.
(d) Allowing her to stay but cutting her off financially.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Raymond opens his door during the commotion, what is obvious?
2. What offer does Meursault receive and refuse when at the morgue?
3. After the day of the funeral, where does Meursault meet Marie?
4. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, where does he eat lunch?
5. What does Marie notice about Meursault's reaction to his mother's death?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)