|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Raymond do with the letter to his mistress?
(a) He saves it for future use.
(b) He throws it in the water.
(c) He sends it to his mistress.
(d) He burns it.
2. What did the neighbors say when Meursault put his mother in the home?
(a) They said he should have chosen a closer home.
(b) They said disparaging things about him.
(c) They said that he was a perfect son.
(d) They said it was about time.
3. What does Meursault do after eating with the odd woman?
(a) He tries to contact Marie.
(b) He invites her to his place.
(c) He seeks out Raymond.
(d) He follows her for a while.
4. Which of the following phrases describes Meursault's behavior at his mother's funeral?
(a) Obviously anxious.
(b) Full of visible grief.
(c) Displaying little emotion.
(d) Marked by anger.
5. Why does Meursault's employer think the job in Paris is a good match for Meursault?
(a) Because Meursault is the only employee fluent in French.
(b) Because Meursault needs to get away from his surroundings.
(c) Because people in Paris will understand Meursault.
(d) Because Paris is a lively city for a young man.
6. How does Meursault respond to Salamano's news about the dog when he returns home from having dinner with the odd woman?
(a) He is extremely empathetic.
(b) He tells him to go away.
(c) He is very interested.
(d) He invites him to his apartment.
7. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, who does he meet for lunch?
8. What does Marie notice about Meursault's reaction to his mother's death?
(a) He is terribly depressed.
(b) He doesn't show signs of grief.
(c) He seems almost happy that she is gone.
(d) He is less friendly than normal.
9. What does Meursault do when he wakes up in the morning and Marie is gone?
(a) He begins sobbing.
(b) He springs out of bed and begins a search for her.
(c) He lays in bed and tries to recapture her essence.
(d) He is relieved and quietly creeps out unnoticed.
10. Immediately after lunch on his first day back to work, where does Meursault go?
(a) Home to take a nap.
(b) Back to work.
(c) To Marie's place to see if she is home.
(d) To the park for a walk.
11. How does the proposal between Marie and Meursault occur?
(a) Meursault suprises Marie with a ring.
(b) Marie threatens to leave if Meursault doesn't marry her.
(c) Meursault offhandedly says they should get married.
(d) Marie asks Meursault to marry her.
12. What does Meursault do on the way to visit his mother's village?
(a) Read the newspaper.
(b) Write in a journal.
(d) Eat dinner.
13. How does Raymond feel that his mistress is treating him?
(a) He feels she is abusive.
(b) He feels she is loving.
(c) He feels she is unfaithful.
(d) He feels she is grateful.
14. Who meets Meursault when he arrives for his mother's funeral?
(a) His uncle's two children.
(b) His father.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) The caretaker of the nursing home.
15. What piece of clothing does Marie notice that Meursault is wearing that indicates he is mourning?
(a) His jewelry.
(b) His armband.
(c) His tie.
(d) His shirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his first week back at work after his mother's death, where does Meursault spend time with Marie?
2. What does Raymond suggest that he and the person who accompanied him do after they return back from the police station?
3. Why does a job open up in Paris with Meursault's company?
4. Where does Meursault go on the night of the funeral?
5. What do Meursault and the odd woman talk about during dinner?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)