|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marie think of the lunch that Meursault cooks for her?
(a) She says she isn't hungry and doesn't eat it.
(b) She thinks that it is adequate.
(c) She thinks that it is terrible.
(d) She thinks that it is wonderful.
2. Why does Meursault take so much pleasure in washing his hands on the morning he returns to work?
(a) The towel hasn't yet gotten too wet from daily use.
(b) He is up from his desk and avoiding work.
(c) The sound of the running water reminds him of the beach.
(d) The warmth of the water reminds him of Marie.
3. How does the policeman respond to Raymond's verbal abuse when the police come to his home?
(a) By handcuffing him.
(b) By pushing him to the ground.
(c) By threatening him with a gun.
(d) With a slap.
4. Who accompanies Raymond to the police station as a witness?
(c) No one.
5. Where do Meursault and Marie spend the night after their day together?
(a) At his apartment.
(b) At the beach.
(c) At her house.
(d) In the park.
6. What does Meursault do when he wakes up in the morning and Marie is gone?
(a) He springs out of bed and begins a search for her.
(b) He is relieved and quietly creeps out unnoticed.
(c) He begins sobbing.
(d) He lays in bed and tries to recapture her essence.
7. How does Marie react to the news that Meursault's mother has died only one day before she spends the day with Meursault?
(a) She is relieved.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is depressed.
(d) She is surprised.
8. Who comes to the morgue and stays with Meursault throughout the night?
(a) His mother's friends from the nursing home.
(b) No one.
(c) His friend from home.
(d) His brother.
9. Which of the following phrases describes Meursault's behavior at his mother's funeral?
(a) Full of visible grief.
(b) Displaying little emotion.
(c) Obviously anxious.
(d) Marked by anger.
10. After spending the day together, where do Meursault and Marie go in the evening after his mother's funeral?
(a) To his mother's grave site.
(b) To an all-night diner.
(c) To the cafe.
(d) To a movie.
11. Who meets Meursault when he arrives for his mother's funeral?
(a) The village doctor.
(b) His uncle's two children.
(c) The caretaker of the nursing home.
(d) His father.
12. How does Meursault regard interruptions to his work schedule?
(a) As unwelcome.
(b) As a nice break.
(c) As pleasant but unnecessary.
(d) As necessary to his mental health.
13. Whose beach house do Raymond, Meursault, and Marie visit?
(a) Raymond's friend's.
(c) Raymond's brother's.
(d) Raymond's mistress's.
14. Why is Raymond tense before going to the beach house?
(a) His mother is ill.
(b) He does not like the ocean.
(c) Some Arabs are following them.
(d) He is beginning to get sick.
15. When Raymond opens his door during the commotion, what is obvious?
(a) That much of the furniture has been damaged.
(b) That he and his mistress were physically fighting.
(c) That his mistress and him were having a nonviolent disagreement.
(d) That there was a robbery.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the day of the funeral, where does Meursault meet Marie?
2. What else does Meursault believe has changed with his mother's death?
3. In reaction to news that his mother has died, how many days does Meursault ask off from his job?
4. The day after Meursault and Marie spend the night together, when does Meursault try to contact her?
5. As a gesture of their new friendship what does Raymond offer to Meursault?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)