|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Raymond do with the letter to his mistress?
(a) He saves it for future use.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He throws it in the water.
(d) He sends it to his mistress.
2. Why does Meursault take so much pleasure in washing his hands on the morning he returns to work?
(a) The warmth of the water reminds him of Marie.
(b) He is up from his desk and avoiding work.
(c) The sound of the running water reminds him of the beach.
(d) The towel hasn't yet gotten too wet from daily use.
3. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, who does he meet for lunch?
4. Why is Raymond's hand bandaged when Meursault comes over for dinner?
(a) He was attacked by a dog.
(b) He got in a fight.
(c) He cut his hand with a knife.
(d) He accidently shot himself.
5. When Meursault returns to his job, how does he approach the work that has piled up?
(a) He slowly sifts through it.
(b) He asks for help with it.
(c) He plunges into it.
(d) He avoids it.
6. What comment does Meursault make to Marie about the people in Paris?
(a) They drink too much.
(b) They are too pale.
(c) They are mean.
(d) They sleep too much.
7. How did Meursault know Marie?
(a) She was a family friend.
(b) She was his neighbor.
(c) She was a co-worker.
(d) She was his mother's sister.
8. What offer does Meursault receive and refuse when at the morgue?
(a) The offer to stay with his mother's body.
(b) The offer to bury his mother in England.
(c) The offer to sell him a nicer coffin.
(d) The offer to remove the coffin lid.
9. After his first week back at work after his mother's death, where does Meursault spend time with Marie?
(a) In the woods.
(b) At the beach.
(c) On the train.
(d) At the movies.
10. What does Meursault do after eating with the odd woman?
(a) He tries to contact Marie.
(b) He follows her for a while.
(c) He seeks out Raymond.
(d) He invites her to his place.
11. How does Meursault react to the people who are visibly grieving his mother's death at the funeral?
(a) He sympathizes with them.
(b) He does not engage with them.
(c) He becomes angry at them and yells.
(d) He asks them to leave.
12. As the police leave Raymond's home, what do they tell Raymond to do?
(a) Control his woman.
(b) Keep the neighborhood quiet.
(c) Make himself available for questioning.
(d) Turn in the letter that he wrote.
13. Whose beach house do Raymond, Meursault, and Marie visit?
(b) Raymond's brother's.
(c) Raymond's friend's.
(d) Raymond's mistress's.
14. What does Meursault do on the morning after his night with Marie?
(a) Smoke cigarettes.
(b) Search for Marie.
(c) Drink scotch.
(d) Walk around town.
15. About what time does Salamano reminisce with Meursault?
(a) When Meursault and Salamano went to the beach.
(b) When Meursault's mother lived with him.
(c) When Meursault had a cat.
(d) When Meursault was a single man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Meursault refuse to call the police when the commotion is going on in Raymond's apartment?
2. On the first day that Meursault returns to work, where does he eat lunch?
3. What do Meursault and the odd woman talk about during dinner?
4. What does Meursault do when he wakes up in the morning and Marie is gone?
5. Where does Meursault go on the night of the funeral?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)