* Meursault, who lives in Algiers, North Africa, receives news that his mother has died and the funeral is the next day.
* Meursault asks for two days off from his job and even though he receives permission, he feels his employer shows no sympathy.
* Meursault quickly eats lunch at his favorite cafÃ© and borrows a black tie and armband from a friend.
* Meursault sleeps on the early afternoon bus to the village where his mother had lived in a retirement home.
* The caretaker of the nursing home meets Meursault and shows him to the morgue.
* Meursault declines the caretaker's offer to remove the coffin lid so he can view the body.
* Several of Meursault's mother's friends from the home join him in keeping vigil and they sit through the night.
* Perez, a close friend of Meursault's mother, joins the funeral procession.
* Because of the heat, Perez falls...
This section contains 1,970 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)