|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jubal do after the police are gone?
2. What religion does Michael form?
3. What does Douglas tell the people who broke into Jubal's house?
4. What does Michael do while his body is hidden?
5. Of what does the Fosterite chuch service consist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Fosterites say about Bishop Digby?
2. How does Michael feel about a police officer leaving the vehicle and what does he do?
3. Who meets Michael and the rest at the Fosterite church and what does Michael do with the slot machines?
4. What does Jubal tell Secretary Douglas about Michael and what does Douglas do with his forces?
5. What does Jubal have Michael do during the Martian anthem and how does Michael address the assembly?
6. What does Michael do when an officer tries to arrest Jill?
7. What does Duke tell Ben about Michael's church?
8. Who extended an invitation to Michael before the meeting and what was the invitation?
9. How does mail tfor Michael come, why does it need checked and what is one of the types of mail Michael receives that Jill doesn't like?
10. What does Michael learn at the zoo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jubal Hershaw is a savvy and cantankerous old man with a heart of gold. He definitely barks but only bites those who deserve it. When Jill shows up with Michael, Jubal does not hesitate to invite them to stay, mostly because he finds the Man from Mars a very interesting subject in a world that has not interested him for a good many years.
1. What character traits are interesting about Jubal Hershaw? Would you like him if you met him in real life? Why or why not?
2. If you were in trouble who would you go, as Jill did, to Jubal Hershaw? Why would you go to that person? Would the person you would seek out for help resemble Jubal in any way?
Essay Topic 2
Heinlein introduces a highly important Martian ritual, the sharing of water. This results in the creation of water brothers, people who are tightly coupled beyond the concepts of friendship and marriage.
1. Describe a human ceremony which may be a less tightly bonded version of the water brothers. Compare the two.
2. Do you think that a short ceremony, such as the sharing of water can bond people together? Why or why not?
3. How has the concept of water sharing illustrated the problems with communication between two alien cultures? Use examples from the book or history to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Michael is so entirely superior to other humans that he could play God on Earth, but he prefers to teach that we are all God and can do what he does too if we learn Martian.
1. What kind of person do you think Michael's decision on how to use his power show him to be? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There are many books and rumors that assert that some holy men in India have the powers that Michael has in this book. If this was true, why do you think so many people know about it?
3. If you met someone who had Michael's powers how would it affect you? Why?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)