|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Michael decided to do about his life?
2. Who breaks into Jubal's house when he's talking to Douglas?
3. What does Michael wear for his church services?
4. What does Jubal notice between his secretaries and Jill?
5. What does Ben do with Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was in the note Douglas sent Jubal during Michael's speech?
2. How does Jubal respond to Michael's actions with the police?
3. What does Jubal have Michael do during the Martian anthem and how does Michael address the assembly?
4. What does Michael learn about money and what does he do with some of his?
5. Who meets Michael and the rest at the Fosterite church and what does Michael do with the slot machines?
6. What does Michael learn at the zoo?
7. What does Duke tell Ben about Michael's church?
8. What are some of the activities and images Michael uses in his church?
9. What are some schools Michael attends, what is his job and finally how does he promote himself?
10. What does Michael see on the way to D.C. and how does he respond? What does Jill do with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In carnival slang, a blowout is an ending act that leaves the crowd impressed and willing to buy. Patty, with her extensive carnival experience, correctly identifies Michael's martyrdom as the quintessential blowout.
1. Why do you think Michael chose to end his life in this way? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way Michael died will affect the church? How?
3. How did you feel about the way Michael's friends reacted to his death?
Essay Topic 2
Heinlein introduces a highly important Martian ritual, the sharing of water. This results in the creation of water brothers, people who are tightly coupled beyond the concepts of friendship and marriage.
1. Describe a human ceremony which may be a less tightly bonded version of the water brothers. Compare the two.
2. Do you think that a short ceremony, such as the sharing of water can bond people together? Why or why not?
3. How has the concept of water sharing illustrated the problems with communication between two alien cultures? Use examples from the book or history to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Michael's body has not developed the strength to cope with the higher gravity and air pressure on Earth.
1. Imagine you are moved to a planet which is larger than Earth and you could not move well or breath well. How would that feel? How would you cope with the problems?
2. One situation on Earth that could come close to Michael's physical situation when he first comes to Earth is someone who has been paralyzed in an accident. How do you think you would react to such a situation? Would you want to live in a wheelchair? Who would you turn to for help?
3. If you were put into a situation where it was difficult for you to move or breath one of your feelings might be powerlessness. How would you cope with feeling that way? Do you think you would be powerless in that situation? How would you feel if most of the actions we take for granted as whole bodied had to suddenly be done by someone else?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)