|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael do with Bishop Digby?
2. Why is Jubal concerned for Michael?
3. What does Jubal announce at the assembly?
4. Who finally agrees to contact Secretary Douglas for Jubal?
5. What agreement did Jubal and Douglas reach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jill and Michael do when they join a carnival and what happens with that?
2. How does Jubal respond to Michael's actions with the police?
3. Who extended an invitation to Michael before the meeting and what was the invitation?
4. How does Jubal realize Michael has experienced sex and what does he think its done for Michael?
5. What does Duke tell Ben about Michael's church?
6. How does mail tfor Michael come, why does it need checked and what is one of the types of mail Michael receives that Jill doesn't like?
7. What news does Jubal give Ben when he visits after seeing Michaela and Jill's church?
8. What does Bishop Digby do at the church service and afterwards and what does Michael do?
9. What are some of the activities and images Michael uses in his church?
10. What does Michael do right when the police arrive and right after they are there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael's body has not developed the strength to cope with the higher gravity and air pressure on Earth.
1. Imagine you are moved to a planet which is larger than Earth and you could not move well or breath well. How would that feel? How would you cope with the problems?
2. One situation on Earth that could come close to Michael's physical situation when he first comes to Earth is someone who has been paralyzed in an accident. How do you think you would react to such a situation? Would you want to live in a wheelchair? Who would you turn to for help?
3. If you were put into a situation where it was difficult for you to move or breath one of your feelings might be powerlessness. How would you cope with feeling that way? Do you think you would be powerless in that situation? How would you feel if most of the actions we take for granted as whole bodied had to suddenly be done by someone else?
Essay Topic 2
Michael brings conflict to Mahmoud's Islamic faith, as he does to nearly every religion on Earth--except for some Eastern beliefs--astral projection and levitation for examples.
1. Why do you think Michael's existence or abilities would threaten religion? Use examples from the book and/or your own life to support your opinion.
2. Given the history of religion and "heretics" on this earth, what do you think will be the religious institutions' response to Michael? Use examples from the book and/or from history to support your answer.
3. Given Michael's scanty understanding of human society and religion, why do you think Jubal is concerned about him having contact with the Fosterites?
Essay Topic 3
The fact that Michael is an ultra-rich young man in a vulnerable position is intriguing and frightening. He can easily be taken for all his wealth by even an incompetent crook. The ramifications of being the owner of Mars may bring on political dangers. It may be easier to assassinate than negotiate.
1. How do you think people would be able to harm Michael in his circumstances? If you met Michael knowing about his wealth, would it affect your opinion of him? Why or why not?
2. Imagine you are Michael. What would you do with your position and money?
3. Do you think it's fair that Michael should own all of the assets of every member of the Envoy crew? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)