|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jill and Michael's act dropped from the carnival?
2. What does Ben do with Michael?
3. What does Michael do when Jill gives him a pornographic picture?
4. What agreement did Jubal and Douglas reach?
5. Who breaks into Jubal's house when he's talking to Douglas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was in the note Douglas sent Jubal during Michael's speech?
2. What news does Jubal give Ben when he visits after seeing Michaela and Jill's church?
3. How does Michael feel about a police officer leaving the vehicle and what does he do?
4. How does Jubal realize Michael has experienced sex and what does he think its done for Michael?
5. Who extended an invitation to Michael before the meeting and what was the invitation?
6. What does Michael see on the way to D.C. and how does he respond? What does Jill do with him?
7. What do the Fosterites say about Bishop Digby?
8. What does Jubal tell Secretary Douglas about Michael and what does Douglas do with his forces?
9. How does Jubal respond to Michael's actions with the police?
10. What does Duke tell Ben about Michael's church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The argument between Duke and Jubal gives Heinlein a platform from which to explore the attitudes of the American culture.
1. How do you think other cultures view American culture? Support your view with examples.
2. Have you ever been exposed to another culture? If so, what did you think about it? Use examples from your experience to illustrate your thoughts. If you've never been exposed to another culture would you like to go to another country? Why or why not?
3. Pretend you have met aliens from another world and they are following you around for a day. Explain your day to them as to someone who has never been on this world.
Essay Topic 2
Michael is so entirely superior to other humans that he could play God on Earth, but he prefers to teach that we are all God and can do what he does too if we learn Martian.
1. What kind of person do you think Michael's decision on how to use his power show him to be? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There are many books and rumors that assert that some holy men in India have the powers that Michael has in this book. If this was true, why do you think so many people know about it?
3. If you met someone who had Michael's powers how would it affect you? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In carnival slang, a blowout is an ending act that leaves the crowd impressed and willing to buy. Patty, with her extensive carnival experience, correctly identifies Michael's martyrdom as the quintessential blowout.
1. Why do you think Michael chose to end his life in this way? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way Michael died will affect the church? How?
3. How did you feel about the way Michael's friends reacted to his death?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)