|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up at Jubal's gates with Michael?
2. Where does Jubal Hershaw live?
3. What does Jubal tell Michael about religious ceremonies?
4. Who does Jubal attempt to call?
5. Why does Ben want to meet secretly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
2. What bothers Duke about Michael and how does Jubal handle it?
3. What happens when Madame Alexandra Vesant tries to cast Michael's chart and what does she say?
4. How does Jill get Michael out of the hospital and where do they go?
5. What does Captain Tromp do with Michael when he returns to earth?
6. What does Ben do to try to get to talk to Michael and how does that turn out?
7. What does Mrs. Douglas do after her talk with her husband?
8. What happens when the police come to Jubal's?
9. What does the book say about human behavior and reproduction?
10. What does Ben do with a tape of Michael's room and what is on it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jubal Hershaw is a savvy and cantankerous old man with a heart of gold. He definitely barks but only bites those who deserve it. When Jill shows up with Michael, Jubal does not hesitate to invite them to stay, mostly because he finds the Man from Mars a very interesting subject in a world that has not interested him for a good many years.
1. What character traits are interesting about Jubal Hershaw? Would you like him if you met him in real life? Why or why not?
2. If you were in trouble who would you go, as Jill did, to Jubal Hershaw? Why would you go to that person? Would the person you would seek out for help resemble Jubal in any way?
Essay Topic 2
Michael's church services are patterned after carnival acts but do include traditional symbolism from several theologies. The whole idea is to entertain and sell the church simultaneously, and the technique works.
1. What might be the similarities between Michael's church and some of the modern churches today?
2. Would you prefer a church that was more entertaining? Why or why not?
3. How do you think the people in America today would react if a church like Michael's became big news?
Essay Topic 3
Michael is so entirely superior to other humans that he could play God on Earth, but he prefers to teach that we are all God and can do what he does too if we learn Martian.
1. What kind of person do you think Michael's decision on how to use his power show him to be? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There are many books and rumors that assert that some holy men in India have the powers that Michael has in this book. If this was true, why do you think so many people know about it?
3. If you met someone who had Michael's powers how would it affect you? Why?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)