|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Martian Old One?
2. Where does Jubal Hershaw live?
3. What do Martians work on most?
4. What happens to Ben when the taxi locks him inside?
5. What happens when Michael comes out of the dormant state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jill get Michael out of the hospital and where do they go?
2. How many levels of his being can Michael control and what does he do in a dormant state?
3. What does Jill tell Jubal about Ben and what does he do?
4. What kind of writing does Jubal Hershaw do and how does he do it?
5. What does Captain Tromp do with Michael when he returns to earth?
6. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
7. Who went to Mars 25 years before the beginning of this book and what happened to them?
8. What does Gillian give Michael and what does he insist she do?
9. What does Michael say about his ability to make things disappear?
10. What does Ben do with a tape of Michael's room and what is on it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jubal Hershaw is a savvy and cantankerous old man with a heart of gold. He definitely barks but only bites those who deserve it. When Jill shows up with Michael, Jubal does not hesitate to invite them to stay, mostly because he finds the Man from Mars a very interesting subject in a world that has not interested him for a good many years.
1. What character traits are interesting about Jubal Hershaw? Would you like him if you met him in real life? Why or why not?
2. If you were in trouble who would you go, as Jill did, to Jubal Hershaw? Why would you go to that person? Would the person you would seek out for help resemble Jubal in any way?
Essay Topic 2
Legally Ben can do nothing but report the news and write op-ed pieces for the paper. His aggressive attempt to see the Man from Mars results in nothing conclusive and only serves to bring attention to himself from an untrustworthy government.
1. What do you think people can do if a government is not honest? Use examples from the book and/or from real life in the 21st century.
2. Why do you think reporters risk their lives to obtain a story? Use an example from life today to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Michael's experience of seeing the Atlantic Ocean almost overwhelms him. The reason that water is used in ceremony on Mars is that the liquid is very scarce. Trying to fathom the immensity of an ocean is difficult for earthlings who have never experienced one, and a million times more difficult for Michael, who has not seen much more than a cup of water in his life.
1. What do you think it would be like to see something as rare as water on Mars? Use an example to support your statement.
2. When an item is in extreme abundance, it is not treated the same as rare items, e.g. gold versus water. Do you think the abundance of water on this planet contributes to humans polluting it? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would happen if the Martians discovered how much water is on Earth? Use your imagination.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)