|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglas find out at the Council Chamber?
2. What does Mrs. Douglas want done for Michael?
3. Why does Ben demand to see Michael?
4. What happens when Ben demands to see Michael?
5. How does Michael appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of writing does Jubal Hershaw do and how does he do it?
2. What happened to the baby Mary Smith had on Mars?
3. Why does Ben want to meet Jill secretly?
4. What does Duke brag about in relation to Michael and what does Jubal tell him?
5. What does Jill tell Jubal about Ben and what does he do?
6. Who went to Mars 25 years before the beginning of this book and what happened to them?
7. What does Michael say about his ability to make things disappear?
8. What does the book say about human behavior and reproduction?
9. What bothers Duke about Michael and how does Jubal handle it?
10. How does Jubal feel about Michael's abilities and what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael's experience of seeing the Atlantic Ocean almost overwhelms him. The reason that water is used in ceremony on Mars is that the liquid is very scarce. Trying to fathom the immensity of an ocean is difficult for earthlings who have never experienced one, and a million times more difficult for Michael, who has not seen much more than a cup of water in his life.
1. What do you think it would be like to see something as rare as water on Mars? Use an example to support your statement.
2. When an item is in extreme abundance, it is not treated the same as rare items, e.g. gold versus water. Do you think the abundance of water on this planet contributes to humans polluting it? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would happen if the Martians discovered how much water is on Earth? Use your imagination.
Essay Topic 2
Jubal Hershaw is a savvy and cantankerous old man with a heart of gold. He definitely barks but only bites those who deserve it. When Jill shows up with Michael, Jubal does not hesitate to invite them to stay, mostly because he finds the Man from Mars a very interesting subject in a world that has not interested him for a good many years.
1. What character traits are interesting about Jubal Hershaw? Would you like him if you met him in real life? Why or why not?
2. If you were in trouble who would you go, as Jill did, to Jubal Hershaw? Why would you go to that person? Would the person you would seek out for help resemble Jubal in any way?
Essay Topic 3
Tromp insists that Michael not only needs time to adjust physically but mentally and emotionally too.
1. Write a brief description on how you think you might feel if you were raised by non-humans and were suddenly pushed into human culture.
2. What kinds of emotional and mental adjusting do you think Michael needs? Use examples from the book to support your opinion.
3. Do you think it is realistic to believe Michael could adapt to human society given his age when he first encounters it? Explain your answer and use examples from the book to support it.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)