|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ben want to meet secretly?
2. What disgusts Duke about Michael?
3. What did Gillian unknowingly do when she accepted a drink from Michael?
4. Who tries to get Michael to sign a contract?
5. What has Michael curious about Gillian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Douglas do after her talk with her husband?
2. What does Ben do to try to get to talk to Michael and how does that turn out?
3. What kind of writing does Jubal Hershaw do and how does he do it?
4. What does Ben plan to do about Michael?
5. What does Michael say about his ability to make things disappear?
6. What does Duke brag about in relation to Michael and what does Jubal tell him?
7. Who went to Mars 25 years before the beginning of this book and what happened to them?
8. How does Jill get Michael out of the hospital and where do they go?
9. Why does Ben want to meet Jill secretly?
10. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All human behavior, all human motivations, all man's hopes and fears, were heavily colored and largely controlled by mankind's tragic and oddly beautiful pattern of reproduction.
1. Why do you think human motivations and cultures would be so influenced by reproduction?
2. How do you think the animals on earth are influenced by reproduction?
3. If humans began to reproduce strictly by science how do you think that would change humanity?
Essay Topic 2
Tromp insists that Michael not only needs time to adjust physically but mentally and emotionally too.
1. Write a brief description on how you think you might feel if you were raised by non-humans and were suddenly pushed into human culture.
2. What kinds of emotional and mental adjusting do you think Michael needs? Use examples from the book to support your opinion.
3. Do you think it is realistic to believe Michael could adapt to human society given his age when he first encounters it? Explain your answer and use examples from the book to support it.
Essay Topic 3
Michael is so entirely superior to other humans that he could play God on Earth, but he prefers to teach that we are all God and can do what he does too if we learn Martian.
1. What kind of person do you think Michael's decision on how to use his power show him to be? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There are many books and rumors that assert that some holy men in India have the powers that Michael has in this book. If this was true, why do you think so many people know about it?
3. If you met someone who had Michael's powers how would it affect you? Why?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)