|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the flying taxi take Ben?
2. What happens to the surviving nymphs?
3. How do the secretaries know which one he wants?
4. What do Martians work on most?
5. Why does Ben demand to see Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is grokking and how did Michael learn it?
2. What does Captain Tromp do with Michael when he returns to earth?
3. What bothers Duke about Michael and how does Jubal handle it?
4. What happened to the baby Mary Smith had on Mars?
5. What does Michael say about his ability to make things disappear?
6. Who does Secretary General Douglas talk to about Michael being missing and why is he reluctant to do that?
7. How do Martians reproduce?
8. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
9. What kind of writing does Jubal Hershaw do and how does he do it?
10. How does Jill meet up with Jubal and what does she do with Michael?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael's experience of seeing the Atlantic Ocean almost overwhelms him. The reason that water is used in ceremony on Mars is that the liquid is very scarce. Trying to fathom the immensity of an ocean is difficult for earthlings who have never experienced one, and a million times more difficult for Michael, who has not seen much more than a cup of water in his life.
1. What do you think it would be like to see something as rare as water on Mars? Use an example to support your statement.
2. When an item is in extreme abundance, it is not treated the same as rare items, e.g. gold versus water. Do you think the abundance of water on this planet contributes to humans polluting it? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would happen if the Martians discovered how much water is on Earth? Use your imagination.
Essay Topic 2
Michael is so entirely superior to other humans that he could play God on Earth, but he prefers to teach that we are all God and can do what he does too if we learn Martian.
1. What kind of person do you think Michael's decision on how to use his power show him to be? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There are many books and rumors that assert that some holy men in India have the powers that Michael has in this book. If this was true, why do you think so many people know about it?
3. If you met someone who had Michael's powers how would it affect you? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Heinlein introduces a highly important Martian ritual, the sharing of water. This results in the creation of water brothers, people who are tightly coupled beyond the concepts of friendship and marriage.
1. Describe a human ceremony which may be a less tightly bonded version of the water brothers. Compare the two.
2. Do you think that a short ceremony, such as the sharing of water can bond people together? Why or why not?
3. How has the concept of water sharing illustrated the problems with communication between two alien cultures? Use examples from the book or history to support your answer.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)