|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jubal Hershaw write?
2. What does Ben suggest to Jill?
3. What do Martians work on most?
4. Where does Jill meet Ben?
5. What does Mrs. Douglas want done for Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Michael curious about after watching the Fosterites on television and what does Jubal find out?
2. What does Gillian decide to do at the hospital one day and how does she do it?
3. What does Ben do with a tape of Michael's room and what is on it?
4. What bothers Duke about Michael and how does Jubal handle it?
5. What happens to Ben after he leaves the hospital?
6. What does Michael say about his ability to make things disappear?
7. How does Jill meet up with Jubal and what does she do with Michael?
8. What happens when the police come to Jubal's?
9. What does Ben ask Jill to do at the hospital and how does she do it?
10. What does Ben plan to do about Michael?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heinlein introduces a highly important Martian ritual, the sharing of water. This results in the creation of water brothers, people who are tightly coupled beyond the concepts of friendship and marriage.
1. Describe a human ceremony which may be a less tightly bonded version of the water brothers. Compare the two.
2. Do you think that a short ceremony, such as the sharing of water can bond people together? Why or why not?
3. How has the concept of water sharing illustrated the problems with communication between two alien cultures? Use examples from the book or history to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jubal feels that English is the most powerful of languages, because it borrows from every conceivable source, while the others keep to strict rules or are controlled by a central language academy.
1. Discuss what you think this statement means.
2. Do you think a language is a reflection of culture? Why or why not?
3. If you chose to learn another language what would it be and why would you choose it?
Essay Topic 3
Truth can be related to belief in this way, where the act of belief makes something true for most practical purposes. Mrs. Douglas believes in Madame Vesant, therefore what she says is truth to Mrs. Douglas.
1. How do you think beliefs and truth relate to each other? Use examples from the book and/or your own life to support your opinion.
2. Do you think if someone believes something strong enough it will become true? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your opinion.
3. If someone believes something to be true do you think facts can change his/her belief? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)