|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ben when the taxi locks him inside?
2. What does Gillian give Michael?
3. How does Jill get Michael out of the hospital?
4. For what other occupations is Jubal educated?
5. Who shows up at Jubal's gates with Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ben want to meet Jill secretly?
2. What is grokking and how did Michael learn it?
3. What does Jill tell Jubal about Ben and what does he do?
4. What happened to the baby Mary Smith had on Mars?
5. What does Ben tell Jill about Michael's financial state?
6. How does Jill meet up with Jubal and what does she do with Michael?
7. What does Captain Tromp do with Michael when he returns to earth?
8. What does Ben ask Jill to do at the hospital and how does she do it?
9. What does Michael say about his ability to make things disappear?
10. Why did Captain Tromp take Michael to the medical center?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael is so entirely superior to other humans that he could play God on Earth, but he prefers to teach that we are all God and can do what he does too if we learn Martian.
1. What kind of person do you think Michael's decision on how to use his power show him to be? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There are many books and rumors that assert that some holy men in India have the powers that Michael has in this book. If this was true, why do you think so many people know about it?
3. If you met someone who had Michael's powers how would it affect you? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Michael reads very quickly, and Jubal's house contains plenty of reading material, but Jill must guide him through the simple conventions of society.
1. What do you think Michael will need to learn in order to live on earth?
2. Do you think it is necessary for Michael to learn to be human? Why or why not?
3. Michael is 25-years-old and studies seem to suggest that by that age most people are incapable of any large changes in how they think, believe, behave, etc. Do you think that is true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Truth can be related to belief in this way, where the act of belief makes something true for most practical purposes. Mrs. Douglas believes in Madame Vesant, therefore what she says is truth to Mrs. Douglas.
1. How do you think beliefs and truth relate to each other? Use examples from the book and/or your own life to support your opinion.
2. Do you think if someone believes something strong enough it will become true? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your opinion.
3. If someone believes something to be true do you think facts can change his/her belief? Why or why not?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)