|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jill meet Ben?
2. When does Jubal gather the people in the house to make plans?
3. What does Douglas find out at the Council Chamber?
4. For what other occupations is Jubal educated?
5. How does Michael appear to Duke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Michael curious about Jill and what does she do?
2. What is Michael curious about after watching the Fosterites on television and what does Jubal find out?
3. Who went to Mars 25 years before the beginning of this book and what happened to them?
4. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
5. What happened to the baby Mary Smith had on Mars?
6. What does Duke brag about in relation to Michael and what does Jubal tell him?
7. What does Ben ask Jill to do at the hospital and how does she do it?
8. What does Gillian give Michael and what does he insist she do?
9. What does Mrs. Douglas do after her talk with her husband?
10. What does Michael say about his ability to make things disappear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Truth can be related to belief in this way, where the act of belief makes something true for most practical purposes. Mrs. Douglas believes in Madame Vesant, therefore what she says is truth to Mrs. Douglas.
1. How do you think beliefs and truth relate to each other? Use examples from the book and/or your own life to support your opinion.
2. Do you think if someone believes something strong enough it will become true? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your opinion.
3. If someone believes something to be true do you think facts can change his/her belief? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Michael brings conflict to Mahmoud's Islamic faith, as he does to nearly every religion on Earth--except for some Eastern beliefs--astral projection and levitation for examples.
1. Why do you think Michael's existence or abilities would threaten religion? Use examples from the book and/or your own life to support your opinion.
2. Given the history of religion and "heretics" on this earth, what do you think will be the religious institutions' response to Michael? Use examples from the book and/or from history to support your answer.
3. Given Michael's scanty understanding of human society and religion, why do you think Jubal is concerned about him having contact with the Fosterites?
Essay Topic 3
Michael is so entirely superior to other humans that he could play God on Earth, but he prefers to teach that we are all God and can do what he does too if we learn Martian.
1. What kind of person do you think Michael's decision on how to use his power show him to be? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There are many books and rumors that assert that some holy men in India have the powers that Michael has in this book. If this was true, why do you think so many people know about it?
3. If you met someone who had Michael's powers how would it affect you? Why?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)