|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michael think he may not be human?
2. What happens when Ben demands to see Michael?
3. How many nymphs die while on the surface?
4. Who gave birth on Mars before this book began?
5. What does Ben decide to do after he watches the interview on television?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jubal feel about Michael's abilities and what does he do?
2. What does Ben tell Jill about Michael's financial state?
3. What does Jill tell Jubal about Ben and what does he do?
4. Who does Secretary General Douglas talk to about Michael being missing and why is he reluctant to do that?
5. What does Duke brag about in relation to Michael and what does Jubal tell him?
6. What does Mrs. Douglas do after her talk with her husband?
7. What does Michael say about his ability to make things disappear?
8. What kind of writing does Jubal Hershaw do and how does he do it?
9. What happened to the baby Mary Smith had on Mars?
10. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael's experience of seeing the Atlantic Ocean almost overwhelms him. The reason that water is used in ceremony on Mars is that the liquid is very scarce. Trying to fathom the immensity of an ocean is difficult for earthlings who have never experienced one, and a million times more difficult for Michael, who has not seen much more than a cup of water in his life.
1. What do you think it would be like to see something as rare as water on Mars? Use an example to support your statement.
2. When an item is in extreme abundance, it is not treated the same as rare items, e.g. gold versus water. Do you think the abundance of water on this planet contributes to humans polluting it? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would happen if the Martians discovered how much water is on Earth? Use your imagination.
Essay Topic 2
Michael brings conflict to Mahmoud's Islamic faith, as he does to nearly every religion on Earth--except for some Eastern beliefs--astral projection and levitation for examples.
1. Why do you think Michael's existence or abilities would threaten religion? Use examples from the book and/or your own life to support your opinion.
2. Given the history of religion and "heretics" on this earth, what do you think will be the religious institutions' response to Michael? Use examples from the book and/or from history to support your answer.
3. Given Michael's scanty understanding of human society and religion, why do you think Jubal is concerned about him having contact with the Fosterites?
Essay Topic 3
Truth can be related to belief in this way, where the act of belief makes something true for most practical purposes. Mrs. Douglas believes in Madame Vesant, therefore what she says is truth to Mrs. Douglas.
1. How do you think beliefs and truth relate to each other? Use examples from the book and/or your own life to support your opinion.
2. Do you think if someone believes something strong enough it will become true? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your opinion.
3. If someone believes something to be true do you think facts can change his/her belief? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)