|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Martian Old One?
2. What happens to Ben when the taxi locks him inside?
3. What might, by Earth standards, Michael own outright?
4. What does Michael do when Douglas asks him to sign a document?
5. Where does Jill meet Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Jubal give Ben when he visits after seeing Michaela and Jill's church?
2. What does Gillian decide to do at the hospital one day and how does she do it?
3. What was the agreement between Michael, Jubal and Secretary Douglas?
4. What happens when Madame Alexandra Vesant tries to cast Michael's chart and what does she say?
5. Why does Ben want to meet Jill secretly?
6. What has Michael curious about Jill and what does she do?
7. What does Captain Tromp do with Michael when he returns to earth?
8. Who went to Mars 25 years before the beginning of this book and what happened to them?
9. What does Ben ask Jill to do at the hospital and how does she do it?
10. What does Ben tell Jill about Michael's financial state?
Essay Topic 1
All human behavior, all human motivations, all man's hopes and fears, were heavily colored and largely controlled by mankind's tragic and oddly beautiful pattern of reproduction.
1. Why do you think human motivations and cultures would be so influenced by reproduction?
2. How do you think the animals on earth are influenced by reproduction?
3. If humans began to reproduce strictly by science how do you think that would change humanity?
Essay Topic 2
Jubal Hershaw is a savvy and cantankerous old man with a heart of gold. He definitely barks but only bites those who deserve it. When Jill shows up with Michael, Jubal does not hesitate to invite them to stay, mostly because he finds the Man from Mars a very interesting subject in a world that has not interested him for a good many years.
1. What character traits are interesting about Jubal Hershaw? Would you like him if you met him in real life? Why or why not?
2. If you were in trouble who would you go, as Jill did, to Jubal Hershaw? Why would you go to that person? Would the person you would seek out for help resemble Jubal in any way?
Essay Topic 3
Tromp insists that Michael not only needs time to adjust physically but mentally and emotionally too.
1. Write a brief description on how you think you might feel if you were raised by non-humans and were suddenly pushed into human culture.
2. What kinds of emotional and mental adjusting do you think Michael needs? Use examples from the book to support your opinion.
3. Do you think it is realistic to believe Michael could adapt to human society given his age when he first encounters it? Explain your answer and use examples from the book to support it.
This section contains 2,808 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)