|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jill tell Jubal about Ben?
2. Where does Jill hide a tape recorder in Michael's room?
3. Why does Ben demand to see Michael?
4. What happens when Michael comes out of the dormant state?
5. How does Gillian get in to see Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ben ask Jill to do at the hospital and how does she do it?
2. How does Jill meet up with Jubal and what does she do with Michael?
3. What does the book say about human behavior and reproduction?
4. How do Martians reproduce?
5. What does Captain Tromp do with Michael when he returns to earth?
6. What bothers Duke about Michael and how does Jubal handle it?
7. What does Michael say about his ability to make things disappear?
8. What happens when the police come to Jubal's?
9. How many levels of his being can Michael control and what does he do in a dormant state?
10. How does Jill get Michael out of the hospital and where do they go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To Michael and the Martians, no religion exists. Only the truth exists, and every Martian knows what this is. Religion has no word or concept on Mars.
1. Do you think the world would be different without religion? Why or why not?
2. Do you think the religion of a particular country is reflected in its culture? Why or why not?
3. If you were God looking at all the religions of the earth, what would you think? Use examples from history to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The fact that Michael is an ultra-rich young man in a vulnerable position is intriguing and frightening. He can easily be taken for all his wealth by even an incompetent crook. The ramifications of being the owner of Mars may bring on political dangers. It may be easier to assassinate than negotiate.
1. How do you think people would be able to harm Michael in his circumstances? If you met Michael knowing about his wealth, would it affect your opinion of him? Why or why not?
2. Imagine you are Michael. What would you do with your position and money?
3. Do you think it's fair that Michael should own all of the assets of every member of the Envoy crew? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Legally Ben can do nothing but report the news and write op-ed pieces for the paper. His aggressive attempt to see the Man from Mars results in nothing conclusive and only serves to bring attention to himself from an untrustworthy government.
1. What do you think people can do if a government is not honest? Use examples from the book and/or from real life in the 21st century.
2. Why do you think reporters risk their lives to obtain a story? Use an example from life today to support your position.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)