|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the Martians raise the human baby?
2. What was the baby born on Mars named?
3. What Christian practice does Jubal use to illustrate his point with Duke?
4. How does Jill get Michael out of Ben's apartment?
5. Where does Jill find Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who went to Mars 25 years before the beginning of this book and what happened to them?
2. What does Gillian give Michael and what does he insist she do?
3. Why did Captain Tromp take Michael to the medical center?
4. How many levels of his being can Michael control and what does he do in a dormant state?
5. What is Michael curious about after watching the Fosterites on television and what does Jubal find out?
6. What happens to Ben after he leaves the hospital?
7. What does Ben do with a tape of Michael's room and what is on it?
8. What does Ben do to try to get to talk to Michael and how does that turn out?
9. What does the book say about human behavior and reproduction?
10. How does Jubal feel about Michael's abilities and what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All human behavior, all human motivations, all man's hopes and fears, were heavily colored and largely controlled by mankind's tragic and oddly beautiful pattern of reproduction.
1. Why do you think human motivations and cultures would be so influenced by reproduction?
2. How do you think the animals on earth are influenced by reproduction?
3. If humans began to reproduce strictly by science how do you think that would change humanity?
Essay Topic 2
In carnival slang, a blowout is an ending act that leaves the crowd impressed and willing to buy. Patty, with her extensive carnival experience, correctly identifies Michael's martyrdom as the quintessential blowout.
1. Why do you think Michael chose to end his life in this way? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way Michael died will affect the church? How?
3. How did you feel about the way Michael's friends reacted to his death?
Essay Topic 3
Michael's experience of seeing the Atlantic Ocean almost overwhelms him. The reason that water is used in ceremony on Mars is that the liquid is very scarce. Trying to fathom the immensity of an ocean is difficult for earthlings who have never experienced one, and a million times more difficult for Michael, who has not seen much more than a cup of water in his life.
1. What do you think it would be like to see something as rare as water on Mars? Use an example to support your statement.
2. When an item is in extreme abundance, it is not treated the same as rare items, e.g. gold versus water. Do you think the abundance of water on this planet contributes to humans polluting it? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would happen if the Martians discovered how much water is on Earth? Use your imagination.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)