|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes alarm in one of Michael's observers?
2. Where does Jill find Michael?
3. Who does Jill cover for when she stays in Michael's room?
4. Who does Jubal attempt to call?
5. What does Michael do when he sees Jill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bothers Duke about Michael and how does Jubal handle it?
2. Why does Ben want to meet Jill secretly?
3. What happened to the baby Mary Smith had on Mars?
4. What has Michael curious about Jill and what does she do?
5. How does Jill meet up with Jubal and what does she do with Michael?
6. What does Gillian decide to do at the hospital one day and how does she do it?
7. Who does Secretary General Douglas talk to about Michael being missing and why is he reluctant to do that?
8. What happens to Ben after he leaves the hospital?
9. What does Gillian give Michael and what does he insist she do?
10. What is grokking and how did Michael learn it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael's experience of seeing the Atlantic Ocean almost overwhelms him. The reason that water is used in ceremony on Mars is that the liquid is very scarce. Trying to fathom the immensity of an ocean is difficult for earthlings who have never experienced one, and a million times more difficult for Michael, who has not seen much more than a cup of water in his life.
1. What do you think it would be like to see something as rare as water on Mars? Use an example to support your statement.
2. When an item is in extreme abundance, it is not treated the same as rare items, e.g. gold versus water. Do you think the abundance of water on this planet contributes to humans polluting it? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would happen if the Martians discovered how much water is on Earth? Use your imagination.
Essay Topic 2
All human behavior, all human motivations, all man's hopes and fears, were heavily colored and largely controlled by mankind's tragic and oddly beautiful pattern of reproduction.
1. Why do you think human motivations and cultures would be so influenced by reproduction?
2. How do you think the animals on earth are influenced by reproduction?
3. If humans began to reproduce strictly by science how do you think that would change humanity?
Essay Topic 3
A police officer compares a picture to Jill and calls for her arrest. Michael makes him and two other officers who were running toward her to disappear. The wrongness escalates, and soon Michael causes both police vehicles and all the officers to disappear.
1. Do you believe Michael's actions were justified? Why or why not?
2. Do you believe now that Michael has killed so many people he should be put to death? Why or why not?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)