|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is grokking?
2. What Christian practice does Jubal use to illustrate his point with Duke?
3. Where does the flying taxi take Ben?
4. Who breaks into Ben's apartment when Jill and Michael are there?
5. What happens to the surviving nymphs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bothers Duke about Michael and how does Jubal handle it?
2. What has Michael curious about Jill and what does she do?
3. What does Ben do with a tape of Michael's room and what is on it?
4. Who does Secretary General Douglas talk to about Michael being missing and why is he reluctant to do that?
5. What does Ben tell Jill about Michael's financial state?
6. Who went to Mars 25 years before the beginning of this book and what happened to them?
7. What does Gillian give Michael and what does he insist she do?
8. What does Jill tell Jubal about Ben and what does he do?
9. What does the book say about human behavior and reproduction?
10. What does Ben ask Jill to do at the hospital and how does she do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tromp insists that Michael not only needs time to adjust physically but mentally and emotionally too.
1. Write a brief description on how you think you might feel if you were raised by non-humans and were suddenly pushed into human culture.
2. What kinds of emotional and mental adjusting do you think Michael needs? Use examples from the book to support your opinion.
3. Do you think it is realistic to believe Michael could adapt to human society given his age when he first encounters it? Explain your answer and use examples from the book to support it.
Essay Topic 2
The argument between Duke and Jubal gives Heinlein a platform from which to explore the attitudes of the American culture.
1. How do you think other cultures view American culture? Support your view with examples.
2. Have you ever been exposed to another culture? If so, what did you think about it? Use examples from your experience to illustrate your thoughts. If you've never been exposed to another culture would you like to go to another country? Why or why not?
3. Pretend you have met aliens from another world and they are following you around for a day. Explain your day to them as to someone who has never been on this world.
Essay Topic 3
Jubal Hershaw is a savvy and cantankerous old man with a heart of gold. He definitely barks but only bites those who deserve it. When Jill shows up with Michael, Jubal does not hesitate to invite them to stay, mostly because he finds the Man from Mars a very interesting subject in a world that has not interested him for a good many years.
1. What character traits are interesting about Jubal Hershaw? Would you like him if you met him in real life? Why or why not?
2. If you were in trouble who would you go, as Jill did, to Jubal Hershaw? Why would you go to that person? Would the person you would seek out for help resemble Jubal in any way?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)