|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Captain Tromp trying to protect Michael from?
2. What does Jill think when Michael expresses his curiosity?
3. What does Jill tell Jubal about Ben?
4. What does Jubal yell when he wants a secretary?
5. What does Michael do when he sees Jill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the police come to Jubal's?
2. How do Martians reproduce?
3. What happens to Ben after he leaves the hospital?
4. What does Ben tell Jill about Michael's financial state?
5. What does Ben do to try to get to talk to Michael and how does that turn out?
6. Why did Captain Tromp take Michael to the medical center?
7. What happened to the baby Mary Smith had on Mars?
8. How does Jubal feel about Michael's abilities and what does he do?
9. How does Jill meet up with Jubal and what does she do with Michael?
10. What does Ben plan to do about Michael?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Martians are not human, nor can they ever be due to their detached sexuality. This could mean that if they ever get around to grokking humans, the Martians may decide that the universe is better off without us, a theme sometimes thought of in our own society.
1. What reasons do you think the Martians might find to kill off the human race? Use examples from the book and your life to support your position.
2. You are a Martian and a member of the council deciding on the fate of humans. Write an essay convincing the other members the human race is worth saving.
3. Do you believe two alien races, who are as different from each other as the "Martians" and humans could ever understand each other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Tromp insists that Michael not only needs time to adjust physically but mentally and emotionally too.
1. Write a brief description on how you think you might feel if you were raised by non-humans and were suddenly pushed into human culture.
2. What kinds of emotional and mental adjusting do you think Michael needs? Use examples from the book to support your opinion.
3. Do you think it is realistic to believe Michael could adapt to human society given his age when he first encounters it? Explain your answer and use examples from the book to support it.
Essay Topic 3
A police officer compares a picture to Jill and calls for her arrest. Michael makes him and two other officers who were running toward her to disappear. The wrongness escalates, and soon Michael causes both police vehicles and all the officers to disappear.
1. Do you believe Michael's actions were justified? Why or why not?
2. Do you believe now that Michael has killed so many people he should be put to death? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)