|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does most of the Martian art involve?
2. What happens to the body of a dead Martian?
3. How did the Martians feel about releasing Michael?
4. What happens when Michael comes out of the dormant state?
5. What does Michael call his waterbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Michael curious about after watching the Fosterites on television and what does Jubal find out?
2. Who does Secretary General Douglas talk to about Michael being missing and why is he reluctant to do that?
3. Why did Captain Tromp take Michael to the medical center?
4. What does Gillian decide to do at the hospital one day and how does she do it?
5. How does Jill meet up with Jubal and what does she do with Michael?
6. What kind of writing does Jubal Hershaw do and how does he do it?
7. How many levels of his being can Michael control and what does he do in a dormant state?
8. How do Martians reproduce?
9. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
10. What does Ben do with a tape of Michael's room and what is on it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael's church services are patterned after carnival acts but do include traditional symbolism from several theologies. The whole idea is to entertain and sell the church simultaneously, and the technique works.
1. What might be the similarities between Michael's church and some of the modern churches today?
2. Would you prefer a church that was more entertaining? Why or why not?
3. How do you think the people in America today would react if a church like Michael's became big news?
Essay Topic 2
Michael's experience of seeing the Atlantic Ocean almost overwhelms him. The reason that water is used in ceremony on Mars is that the liquid is very scarce. Trying to fathom the immensity of an ocean is difficult for earthlings who have never experienced one, and a million times more difficult for Michael, who has not seen much more than a cup of water in his life.
1. What do you think it would be like to see something as rare as water on Mars? Use an example to support your statement.
2. When an item is in extreme abundance, it is not treated the same as rare items, e.g. gold versus water. Do you think the abundance of water on this planet contributes to humans polluting it? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would happen if the Martians discovered how much water is on Earth? Use your imagination.
Essay Topic 3
Jubal feels that English is the most powerful of languages, because it borrows from every conceivable source, while the others keep to strict rules or are controlled by a central language academy.
1. Discuss what you think this statement means.
2. Do you think a language is a reflection of culture? Why or why not?
3. If you chose to learn another language what would it be and why would you choose it?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)