|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raised Michael?
2. What does Jill do when Michael agrees to her assumption?
3. How does Michael appear?
4. What has Michael curious about Gillian?
5. Where does Jubal Hershaw live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Duke brag about in relation to Michael and what does Jubal tell him?
2. What does Jill tell Jubal about Ben and what does he do?
3. What does Ben tell Jill about Michael's financial state?
4. What kind of writing does Jubal Hershaw do and how does he do it?
5. What happens when Madame Alexandra Vesant tries to cast Michael's chart and what does she say?
6. What is Michael curious about after watching the Fosterites on television and what does Jubal find out?
7. What does the book say about human behavior and reproduction?
8. How does Jubal feel about Michael's abilities and what does he do?
9. How many levels of his being can Michael control and what does he do in a dormant state?
10. What does Ben plan to do about Michael?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael's experience of seeing the Atlantic Ocean almost overwhelms him. The reason that water is used in ceremony on Mars is that the liquid is very scarce. Trying to fathom the immensity of an ocean is difficult for earthlings who have never experienced one, and a million times more difficult for Michael, who has not seen much more than a cup of water in his life.
1. What do you think it would be like to see something as rare as water on Mars? Use an example to support your statement.
2. When an item is in extreme abundance, it is not treated the same as rare items, e.g. gold versus water. Do you think the abundance of water on this planet contributes to humans polluting it? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would happen if the Martians discovered how much water is on Earth? Use your imagination.
Essay Topic 2
Michael's display of power with the police is amazing. He can make people disappear. What if a human being had not only superhuman powers but also superhuman ethics?
1. Do you think anyone should be able to have the power Michael has displayed? Why or why not?
2. What would be the difference in a situation with Michael having super type powers between whether he was a good man or a criminal?
3. What would you do if you had Michael's powers?
Essay Topic 3
The Martians are not human, nor can they ever be due to their detached sexuality. This could mean that if they ever get around to grokking humans, the Martians may decide that the universe is better off without us, a theme sometimes thought of in our own society.
1. What reasons do you think the Martians might find to kill off the human race? Use examples from the book and your life to support your position.
2. You are a Martian and a member of the council deciding on the fate of humans. Write an essay convincing the other members the human race is worth saving.
3. Do you believe two alien races, who are as different from each other as the "Martians" and humans could ever understand each other? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)