Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben decide to do after he watches the interview on television?
2. Where does Jill hide a tape recorder in Michael's room?
3. Why does Ben want to meet secretly?
4. How did the Martians feel about releasing Michael?
5. Why is Jubal frightened for Duke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ben do to try to get to talk to Michael and how does that turn out?
2. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
3. What does Bishop Digby do at the church service and afterwards and what does Michael do?
4. What does Ben do with a tape of Michael's room and what is on it?
5. What does the book say about human behavior and reproduction?
6. What does Gillian give Michael and what does he insist she do?
7. What does Captain Tromp do with Michael when he returns to earth?
8. What kind of writing does Jubal Hershaw do and how does he do it?
9. What does Gillian decide to do at the hospital one day and how does she do it?
10. What do Jill and Michael do when they join a carnival and what happens with that?
Michael's church services are patterned after carnival acts but do include traditional symbolism from several theologies. The whole idea is to entertain and sell the church simultaneously, and the technique works.
1. What might be the similarities between Michael's church and some of the modern churches today?
2. Would you prefer a church that was more entertaining? Why or why not?
3. How do you think the people in America today would react if a church like Michael's became big news?
The Martians are not human, nor can they ever be due to their detached sexuality. This could mean that if they ever get around to grokking humans, the Martians may decide that the universe is better off without us, a theme sometimes thought of in our own society.
1. What reasons do you think the Martians might find to kill off the human race? Use examples from the book and your life to support your position.
2. You are a Martian and a member of the council deciding on the fate of humans. Write an essay convincing the other members the human race is worth saving.
3. Do you believe two alien races, who are as different from each other as the "Martians" and humans could ever understand each other? Why or why not?
Heinlein introduces a highly important Martian ritual, the sharing of water. This results in the creation of water brothers, people who are tightly coupled beyond the concepts of friendship and marriage.
1. Describe a human ceremony which may be a less tightly bonded version of the water brothers. Compare the two.
2. Do you think that a short ceremony, such as the sharing of water can bond people together? Why or why not?
3. How has the concept of water sharing illustrated the problems with communication between two alien cultures? Use examples from the book or history to support your answer.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)