Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben decide to do after he watches the interview on television?
2. Where does Jill hide a tape recorder in Michael's room?
3. Why does Ben want to meet secretly?
4. How did the Martians feel about releasing Michael?
5. Why is Jubal frightened for Duke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ben do to try to get to talk to Michael and how does that turn out?
2. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
3. What does Bishop Digby do at the church service and afterwards and what does Michael do?
4. What does Ben do with a tape of Michael's room and what is on it?
5. What does the book say about human behavior and reproduction?
6. What does Gillian give Michael and what does he insist she do?
7. What does Captain Tromp do with Michael when he returns to earth?
8. What kind of writing does Jubal Hershaw do and how does he do it?
9. What does Gillian decide to do at the hospital one day and how does she do it?
10. What do Jill and Michael do when they join a carnival and what happens with that?
Essay Topic 1
The argument between Duke and Jubal gives Heinlein a platform from which to explore the attitudes of the American culture.
1. How do you think other cultures view American culture? Support your view with examples.
2. Have you ever been exposed to another culture? If so, what did you think about it? Use examples from your experience to illustrate your thoughts. If you've never been exposed to another culture would you like to go to another country? Why or why not?
3. Pretend you have met aliens from another world and they are following you around for a day. Explain your day to them as to someone who has never been on this world.
Essay Topic 2
Jubal Hershaw is a savvy and cantankerous old man with a heart of gold. He definitely barks but only bites those who deserve it. When Jill shows up with Michael, Jubal does not hesitate to invite them to stay, mostly because he finds the Man from Mars a very interesting subject in a world that has not interested him for a good many years.
1. What character traits are interesting about Jubal Hershaw? Would you like him if you met him in real life? Why or why not?
2. If you were in trouble who would you go, as Jill did, to Jubal Hershaw? Why would you go to that person? Would the person you would seek out for help resemble Jubal in any way?
Essay Topic 3
Jubal feels that English is the most powerful of languages, because it borrows from every conceivable source, while the others keep to strict rules or are controlled by a central language academy.
1. Discuss what you think this statement means.
2. Do you think a language is a reflection of culture? Why or why not?
3. If you chose to learn another language what would it be and why would you choose it?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)