|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Christian practice does Jubal use to illustrate his point with Duke?
2. What does Jubal discover about Michael and religion?
3. Who is Larry?
4. What does Gillian give Michael?
5. What does Michael do when he sees Jill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Secretary General Douglas talk to about Michael being missing and why is he reluctant to do that?
2. Why does Ben want to meet Jill secretly?
3. What happens when the police come to Jubal's?
4. What does Ben plan to do about Michael?
5. What does Ben do with a tape of Michael's room and what is on it?
6. What does Jill tell Jubal about Ben and what does he do?
7. Why did Captain Tromp take Michael to the medical center?
8. Who went to Mars 25 years before the beginning of this book and what happened to them?
9. What is Michael curious about after watching the Fosterites on television and what does Jubal find out?
10. What is grokking and how did Michael learn it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael's experience of seeing the Atlantic Ocean almost overwhelms him. The reason that water is used in ceremony on Mars is that the liquid is very scarce. Trying to fathom the immensity of an ocean is difficult for earthlings who have never experienced one, and a million times more difficult for Michael, who has not seen much more than a cup of water in his life.
1. What do you think it would be like to see something as rare as water on Mars? Use an example to support your statement.
2. When an item is in extreme abundance, it is not treated the same as rare items, e.g. gold versus water. Do you think the abundance of water on this planet contributes to humans polluting it? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would happen if the Martians discovered how much water is on Earth? Use your imagination.
Essay Topic 2
Legally Ben can do nothing but report the news and write op-ed pieces for the paper. His aggressive attempt to see the Man from Mars results in nothing conclusive and only serves to bring attention to himself from an untrustworthy government.
1. What do you think people can do if a government is not honest? Use examples from the book and/or from real life in the 21st century.
2. Why do you think reporters risk their lives to obtain a story? Use an example from life today to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Michael brings conflict to Mahmoud's Islamic faith, as he does to nearly every religion on Earth--except for some Eastern beliefs--astral projection and levitation for examples.
1. Why do you think Michael's existence or abilities would threaten religion? Use examples from the book and/or your own life to support your opinion.
2. Given the history of religion and "heretics" on this earth, what do you think will be the religious institutions' response to Michael? Use examples from the book and/or from history to support your answer.
3. Given Michael's scanty understanding of human society and religion, why do you think Jubal is concerned about him having contact with the Fosterites?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)