|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jubal yell when he wants a secretary?
2. Where does Jill find Michael?
3. What does Mrs. Douglas decide to do?
4. Why does Ben hire a fair witness?
5. What does Jill tell Jubal about Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who extended an invitation to Michael before the meeting and what was the invitation?
2. What does Jill tell Jubal about Ben and what does he do?
3. What does Jubal insist upon in order to meet with Douglas?
4. What news does Jubal give Ben when he visits after seeing Michaela and Jill's church?
5. Why does Ben want to meet Jill secretly?
6. What kind of writing does Jubal Hershaw do and how does he do it?
7. What happens when the police come to Jubal's?
8. What was the agreement between Michael, Jubal and Secretary Douglas?
9. What does Michael do right when the police arrive and right after they are there?
10. What is grokking and how did Michael learn it?
Essay Topic 1
Heinlein introduces a highly important Martian ritual, the sharing of water. This results in the creation of water brothers, people who are tightly coupled beyond the concepts of friendship and marriage.
1. Describe a human ceremony which may be a less tightly bonded version of the water brothers. Compare the two.
2. Do you think that a short ceremony, such as the sharing of water can bond people together? Why or why not?
3. How has the concept of water sharing illustrated the problems with communication between two alien cultures? Use examples from the book or history to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Tromp insists that Michael not only needs time to adjust physically but mentally and emotionally too.
1. Write a brief description on how you think you might feel if you were raised by non-humans and were suddenly pushed into human culture.
2. What kinds of emotional and mental adjusting do you think Michael needs? Use examples from the book to support your opinion.
3. Do you think it is realistic to believe Michael could adapt to human society given his age when he first encounters it? Explain your answer and use examples from the book to support it.
Essay Topic 3
Michael's church services are patterned after carnival acts but do include traditional symbolism from several theologies. The whole idea is to entertain and sell the church simultaneously, and the technique works.
1. What might be the similarities between Michael's church and some of the modern churches today?
2. Would you prefer a church that was more entertaining? Why or why not?
3. How do you think the people in America today would react if a church like Michael's became big news?
This section contains 2,910 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)