|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the surviving nymphs?
2. What can Michael do to his metabolism?
3. How does Jill go to meet Ben?
4. How does Jill get Michael out of the hospital?
5. Who tries to get Michael to sign a contract?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jubal respond to Michael's actions with the police?
2. What happens when Madame Alexandra Vesant tries to cast Michael's chart and what does she say?
3. What was the agreement between Michael, Jubal and Secretary Douglas?
4. How did Michael get out of jail and what does he do when he gets out?
5. How does Michael feel about a police officer leaving the vehicle and what does he do?
6. What does Duke brag about in relation to Michael and what does Jubal tell him?
7. What are some of the activities and images Michael uses in his church?
8. What happened to the baby Mary Smith had on Mars?
9. Who does Secretary General Douglas talk to about Michael being missing and why is he reluctant to do that?
10. How many levels of his being can Michael control and what does he do in a dormant state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A police officer compares a picture to Jill and calls for her arrest. Michael makes him and two other officers who were running toward her to disappear. The wrongness escalates, and soon Michael causes both police vehicles and all the officers to disappear.
1. Do you believe Michael's actions were justified? Why or why not?
2. Do you believe now that Michael has killed so many people he should be put to death? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Michael's church services are patterned after carnival acts but do include traditional symbolism from several theologies. The whole idea is to entertain and sell the church simultaneously, and the technique works.
1. What might be the similarities between Michael's church and some of the modern churches today?
2. Would you prefer a church that was more entertaining? Why or why not?
3. How do you think the people in America today would react if a church like Michael's became big news?
Essay Topic 3
Legally Ben can do nothing but report the news and write op-ed pieces for the paper. His aggressive attempt to see the Man from Mars results in nothing conclusive and only serves to bring attention to himself from an untrustworthy government.
1. What do you think people can do if a government is not honest? Use examples from the book and/or from real life in the 21st century.
2. Why do you think reporters risk their lives to obtain a story? Use an example from life today to support your position.
This section contains 2,836 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)