|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben decide to do after he watches the interview on television?
2. Where does Jill hide a tape recorder in Michael's room?
3. Why does Ben want to meet secretly?
4. How did the Martians feel about releasing Michael?
5. Why is Jubal frightened for Duke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ben do to try to get to talk to Michael and how does that turn out?
2. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
3. What does Bishop Digby do at the church service and afterwards and what does Michael do?
4. What does Ben do with a tape of Michael's room and what is on it?
5. What does the book say about human behavior and reproduction?
6. What does Gillian give Michael and what does he insist she do?
7. What does Captain Tromp do with Michael when he returns to earth?
8. What kind of writing does Jubal Hershaw do and how does he do it?
9. What does Gillian decide to do at the hospital one day and how does she do it?
10. What do Jill and Michael do when they join a carnival and what happens with that?
Essay Topic 1
Michael's display of power with the police is amazing. He can make people disappear. What if a human being had not only superhuman powers but also superhuman ethics?
1. Do you think anyone should be able to have the power Michael has displayed? Why or why not?
2. What would be the difference in a situation with Michael having super type powers between whether he was a good man or a criminal?
3. What would you do if you had Michael's powers?
Essay Topic 2
Truth can be related to belief in this way, where the act of belief makes something true for most practical purposes. Mrs. Douglas believes in Madame Vesant, therefore what she says is truth to Mrs. Douglas.
1. How do you think beliefs and truth relate to each other? Use examples from the book and/or your own life to support your opinion.
2. Do you think if someone believes something strong enough it will become true? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and/or your life to support your opinion.
3. If someone believes something to be true do you think facts can change his/her belief? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A police officer compares a picture to Jill and calls for her arrest. Michael makes him and two other officers who were running toward her to disappear. The wrongness escalates, and soon Michael causes both police vehicles and all the officers to disappear.
1. Do you believe Michael's actions were justified? Why or why not?
2. Do you believe now that Michael has killed so many people he should be put to death? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,815 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)