|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jubal frightened for Duke?
2. Who is Captain Tromp trying to protect Michael from?
3. Who does Jill cover for when she stays in Michael's room?
4. What can Michael do to his metabolism?
5. Why does Ben hire a fair witness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many levels of his being can Michael control and what does he do in a dormant state?
2. How do Martians reproduce?
3. What does Ben do with a tape of Michael's room and what is on it?
4. What does Gillian decide to do at the hospital one day and how does she do it?
5. How does Jill get Michael out of the hospital and where do they go?
6. What does Ben ask Jill to do at the hospital and how does she do it?
7. What happens to Ben after he leaves the hospital?
8. Why did Captain Tromp take Michael to the medical center?
9. What does Michael say about his ability to make things disappear?
10. What does the book say about human behavior and reproduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that Michael is an ultra-rich young man in a vulnerable position is intriguing and frightening. He can easily be taken for all his wealth by even an incompetent crook. The ramifications of being the owner of Mars may bring on political dangers. It may be easier to assassinate than negotiate.
1. How do you think people would be able to harm Michael in his circumstances? If you met Michael knowing about his wealth, would it affect your opinion of him? Why or why not?
2. Imagine you are Michael. What would you do with your position and money?
3. Do you think it's fair that Michael should own all of the assets of every member of the Envoy crew? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
To Michael and the Martians, no religion exists. Only the truth exists, and every Martian knows what this is. Religion has no word or concept on Mars.
1. Do you think the world would be different without religion? Why or why not?
2. Do you think the religion of a particular country is reflected in its culture? Why or why not?
3. If you were God looking at all the religions of the earth, what would you think? Use examples from history to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Jubal Hershaw is a savvy and cantankerous old man with a heart of gold. He definitely barks but only bites those who deserve it. When Jill shows up with Michael, Jubal does not hesitate to invite them to stay, mostly because he finds the Man from Mars a very interesting subject in a world that has not interested him for a good many years.
1. What character traits are interesting about Jubal Hershaw? Would you like him if you met him in real life? Why or why not?
2. If you were in trouble who would you go, as Jill did, to Jubal Hershaw? Why would you go to that person? Would the person you would seek out for help resemble Jubal in any way?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)