|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben say about Michael's financial state?
2. How does Jill go to meet Ben?
3. What journalist calls Jill and asks to see her?
4. What can Michael do to his metabolism?
5. Why does Ben demand to see Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bothers Duke about Michael and how does Jubal handle it?
2. What happened to the baby Mary Smith had on Mars?
3. How many levels of his being can Michael control and what does he do in a dormant state?
4. What does Mrs. Douglas do after her talk with her husband?
5. What happens to Ben after he leaves the hospital?
6. What does Ben ask Jill to do at the hospital and how does she do it?
7. How do Martians reproduce?
8. What happens when Madame Alexandra Vesant tries to cast Michael's chart and what does she say?
9. What does Duke brag about in relation to Michael and what does Jubal tell him?
10. What does Ben do to try to get to talk to Michael and how does that turn out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael's experience of seeing the Atlantic Ocean almost overwhelms him. The reason that water is used in ceremony on Mars is that the liquid is very scarce. Trying to fathom the immensity of an ocean is difficult for earthlings who have never experienced one, and a million times more difficult for Michael, who has not seen much more than a cup of water in his life.
1. What do you think it would be like to see something as rare as water on Mars? Use an example to support your statement.
2. When an item is in extreme abundance, it is not treated the same as rare items, e.g. gold versus water. Do you think the abundance of water on this planet contributes to humans polluting it? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would happen if the Martians discovered how much water is on Earth? Use your imagination.
Essay Topic 2
Jubal Hershaw is a savvy and cantankerous old man with a heart of gold. He definitely barks but only bites those who deserve it. When Jill shows up with Michael, Jubal does not hesitate to invite them to stay, mostly because he finds the Man from Mars a very interesting subject in a world that has not interested him for a good many years.
1. What character traits are interesting about Jubal Hershaw? Would you like him if you met him in real life? Why or why not?
2. If you were in trouble who would you go, as Jill did, to Jubal Hershaw? Why would you go to that person? Would the person you would seek out for help resemble Jubal in any way?
Essay Topic 3
Michael's church services are patterned after carnival acts but do include traditional symbolism from several theologies. The whole idea is to entertain and sell the church simultaneously, and the technique works.
1. What might be the similarities between Michael's church and some of the modern churches today?
2. Would you prefer a church that was more entertaining? Why or why not?
3. How do you think the people in America today would react if a church like Michael's became big news?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)