|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jubal Hershaw write?
2. What happens when Michael comes out of the dormant state?
3. When does Jubal gather the people in the house to make plans?
4. What has Michael curious about Gillian?
5. What causes alarm in one of Michael's observers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
2. How do Martians reproduce?
3. What does Gillian give Michael and what does he insist she do?
4. How does Jubal feel about Michael's abilities and what does he do?
5. What happens to Ben after he leaves the hospital?
6. What is Michael curious about after watching the Fosterites on television and what does Jubal find out?
7. What happens when Madame Alexandra Vesant tries to cast Michael's chart and what does she say?
8. How does Jill meet up with Jubal and what does she do with Michael?
9. What happened to the baby Mary Smith had on Mars?
10. What does Captain Tromp do with Michael when he returns to earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael is so entirely superior to other humans that he could play God on Earth, but he prefers to teach that we are all God and can do what he does too if we learn Martian.
1. What kind of person do you think Michael's decision on how to use his power show him to be? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There are many books and rumors that assert that some holy men in India have the powers that Michael has in this book. If this was true, why do you think so many people know about it?
3. If you met someone who had Michael's powers how would it affect you? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Jubal Hershaw is a savvy and cantankerous old man with a heart of gold. He definitely barks but only bites those who deserve it. When Jill shows up with Michael, Jubal does not hesitate to invite them to stay, mostly because he finds the Man from Mars a very interesting subject in a world that has not interested him for a good many years.
1. What character traits are interesting about Jubal Hershaw? Would you like him if you met him in real life? Why or why not?
2. If you were in trouble who would you go, as Jill did, to Jubal Hershaw? Why would you go to that person? Would the person you would seek out for help resemble Jubal in any way?
Essay Topic 3
In carnival slang, a blowout is an ending act that leaves the crowd impressed and willing to buy. Patty, with her extensive carnival experience, correctly identifies Michael's martyrdom as the quintessential blowout.
1. Why do you think Michael chose to end his life in this way? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think the way Michael died will affect the church? How?
3. How did you feel about the way Michael's friends reacted to his death?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)