|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Martians call dying?
2. Who does Jill cover for when she stays in Michael's room?
3. What does Jubal do when the police arrive?
4. How long does it take Michael to bring back something he has sent away?
5. What does Michael do when Douglas asks him to sign a document?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gillian decide to do at the hospital one day and how does she do it?
2. Why does Ben want to meet Jill secretly?
3. What does Ben plan to do about Michael?
4. How does mail tfor Michael come, why does it need checked and what is one of the types of mail Michael receives that Jill doesn't like?
5. How does Jubal respond to Michael's actions with the police?
6. What does Michael do right when the police arrive and right after they are there?
7. Why did Captain Tromp take Michael to the medical center?
8. How did Michael get out of jail and what does he do when he gets out?
9. What does Jubal have Michael do during the Martian anthem and how does Michael address the assembly?
10. What was in the note Douglas sent Jubal during Michael's speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael is so entirely superior to other humans that he could play God on Earth, but he prefers to teach that we are all God and can do what he does too if we learn Martian.
1. What kind of person do you think Michael's decision on how to use his power show him to be? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There are many books and rumors that assert that some holy men in India have the powers that Michael has in this book. If this was true, why do you think so many people know about it?
3. If you met someone who had Michael's powers how would it affect you? Why?
Essay Topic 2
To Michael and the Martians, no religion exists. Only the truth exists, and every Martian knows what this is. Religion has no word or concept on Mars.
1. Do you think the world would be different without religion? Why or why not?
2. Do you think the religion of a particular country is reflected in its culture? Why or why not?
3. If you were God looking at all the religions of the earth, what would you think? Use examples from history to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Michael's experience of seeing the Atlantic Ocean almost overwhelms him. The reason that water is used in ceremony on Mars is that the liquid is very scarce. Trying to fathom the immensity of an ocean is difficult for earthlings who have never experienced one, and a million times more difficult for Michael, who has not seen much more than a cup of water in his life.
1. What do you think it would be like to see something as rare as water on Mars? Use an example to support your statement.
2. When an item is in extreme abundance, it is not treated the same as rare items, e.g. gold versus water. Do you think the abundance of water on this planet contributes to humans polluting it? Why or why not?
3. What do you think would happen if the Martians discovered how much water is on Earth? Use your imagination.
This section contains 2,793 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)