|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jubal yell when he wants a secretary?
2. What does Ben suggest to Jill?
3. What does Jill tell Jubal about Ben?
4. What Christian practice does Jubal use to illustrate his point with Duke?
5. For what other occupations is Jubal educated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ben tell Jill about Michael's financial state?
2. What is Michael curious about after watching the Fosterites on television and what does Jubal find out?
3. Who went to Mars 25 years before the beginning of this book and what happened to them?
4. What does Ben ask Jill to do at the hospital and how does she do it?
5. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
6. Why did Captain Tromp take Michael to the medical center?
7. What does Ben plan to do about Michael?
8. What does Michael say about his ability to make things disappear?
9. What happened to the baby Mary Smith had on Mars?
10. What happens when Madame Alexandra Vesant tries to cast Michael's chart and what does she say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Legally Ben can do nothing but report the news and write op-ed pieces for the paper. His aggressive attempt to see the Man from Mars results in nothing conclusive and only serves to bring attention to himself from an untrustworthy government.
1. What do you think people can do if a government is not honest? Use examples from the book and/or from real life in the 21st century.
2. Why do you think reporters risk their lives to obtain a story? Use an example from life today to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Jubal feels that English is the most powerful of languages, because it borrows from every conceivable source, while the others keep to strict rules or are controlled by a central language academy.
1. Discuss what you think this statement means.
2. Do you think a language is a reflection of culture? Why or why not?
3. If you chose to learn another language what would it be and why would you choose it?
Essay Topic 3
Heinlein introduces a highly important Martian ritual, the sharing of water. This results in the creation of water brothers, people who are tightly coupled beyond the concepts of friendship and marriage.
1. Describe a human ceremony which may be a less tightly bonded version of the water brothers. Compare the two.
2. Do you think that a short ceremony, such as the sharing of water can bond people together? Why or why not?
3. How has the concept of water sharing illustrated the problems with communication between two alien cultures? Use examples from the book or history to support your answer.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)