Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben decide to do after he watches the interview on television?
2. Where does Jill hide a tape recorder in Michael's room?
3. Why does Ben want to meet secretly?
4. How did the Martians feel about releasing Michael?
5. Why is Jubal frightened for Duke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ben do to try to get to talk to Michael and how does that turn out?
2. What does it mean when Jill does as Michael insists?
3. What does Bishop Digby do at the church service and afterwards and what does Michael do?
4. What does Ben do with a tape of Michael's room and what is on it?
5. What does the book say about human behavior and reproduction?
6. What does Gillian give Michael and what does he insist she do?
7. What does Captain Tromp do with Michael when he returns to earth?
8. What kind of writing does Jubal Hershaw do and how does he do it?
9. What does Gillian decide to do at the hospital one day and how does she do it?
10. What do Jill and Michael do when they join a carnival and what happens with that?
Essay Topic 1
Tromp insists that Michael not only needs time to adjust physically but mentally and emotionally too.
1. Write a brief description on how you think you might feel if you were raised by non-humans and were suddenly pushed into human culture.
2. What kinds of emotional and mental adjusting do you think Michael needs? Use examples from the book to support your opinion.
3. Do you think it is realistic to believe Michael could adapt to human society given his age when he first encounters it? Explain your answer and use examples from the book to support it.
Essay Topic 2
Michael is so entirely superior to other humans that he could play God on Earth, but he prefers to teach that we are all God and can do what he does too if we learn Martian.
1. What kind of person do you think Michael's decision on how to use his power show him to be? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. There are many books and rumors that assert that some holy men in India have the powers that Michael has in this book. If this was true, why do you think so many people know about it?
3. If you met someone who had Michael's powers how would it affect you? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Jubal feels that English is the most powerful of languages, because it borrows from every conceivable source, while the others keep to strict rules or are controlled by a central language academy.
1. Discuss what you think this statement means.
2. Do you think a language is a reflection of culture? Why or why not?
3. If you chose to learn another language what would it be and why would you choose it?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)