|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White view as the price of standing for justice after protesting Clinton's "don't ask, don't tell" policy?
(b) Going to jail.
(c) Losing his job.
(d) Paying a large fine.
2. Why is White confused at the Cathedral of Hope?
(a) They conduct a liturgical, formal worship service.
(b) They use books from several denominations.
(c) There are several different pastors.
(d) There are many heterosexuals who attend.
3. What does Mel do in front of Lyla one night after they have a fight?
(a) Calls his psychiatrist.
(b) Attempts to slash his wrists.
(c) Attempts sex with her.
(d) Tells her he is leaving her.
4. What does Rushdoony argue the book of Leviticus authorizes?
(a) The imprisonment of homosexuals.
(b) The tolerance of homosexuals.
(c) The murder of homosexuals.
(d) The love of homosexuals.
5. Who is Tom Montgomery?
(a) A man Mel meets in a gay bar.
(b) Mel's spiritual adviser.
(c) Mel's lawyer.
(d) Mel's brother-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens a year after White writes Falwell?
2. Why does Falwell initially get into politics?
3. Who is Mel White's first client?
4. What does the religious right begin doing concerning homosexuality?
5. What two evangelists seem to be opposites in personality according to White?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe White's first meeting with Gary Nixon.
2. Why does White decide to accept Piazza's offer?
3. Who is R. J. Rushdoony? What is his view about homosexuality and White's thoughts about that?
4. Where do Gary and Mel move? With what decision does Mel struggle?
5. How does Tom Montgomery maintain his spirituality despite being angry with the Religious Right?
6. How do Mel and Lyla stay connected, and what do Christian leaders say about White's new living situation? What does Lyla say in response to the Christian leaders?
7. What happens one night when White becomes too stressed about his life? What does he do after that?
8. How does White handle his relationship with David as far as Lyla is concerned?
9. What was Mel White determined to do after the end of his relationship with Tom?
10. How does White's parents react to his telling them of his homosexuality?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)