|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when White speaks out about the measure in Oregon?
(a) He is sent letters of condemnation by the religious right.
(b) His life is threatened.
(c) He gains the support of the Jewish community.
(d) He is supported by some of the religious right for whom he had once wrote.
2. With whom does Mel say Lyla becomes a co-conspirator?
(a) Mel's psychiatrist.
(b) Mel's pastor.
3. With the advent of what court case does Jerry Falwell enter the political arena?
(a) Roe vs. Wade.
(b) Title IX.
(c) Griswold v. Connecticut.
(d) Brown v. Board of Education.
4. Why does White consider a change in jobs and locations?
(a) He is having health problems because of the climate.
(b) He has been threatened with a law suit.
(c) He is being harassed by co-workers.
(d) His family members are all pursuing their own lives.
5. What does Falwell and other evangelists use to further their own causes?
(a) The drug culture.
(b) Anti-homosexual rhetoric.
(c) Anti-abortion rhetoric.
(d) The AIDS epidemic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Phyliss Hart?
2. What is offered to White by a church in Dallas?
3. What often makes White tearful during the church services?
4. What does Robertson and others of the religious right tell White he could do?
5. How does Mel feel at the church to which Tom takes Mel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is David and how does White meet him?
2. What does Mel say that the religious right increasingly claimed and what was one of those claims?
3. How does White find peace in his new church in Dallas?
4. What does White say about working with Falwell on the book, If I Should Die Before I Wake?
5. How does Tom Montgomery maintain his spirituality despite being angry with the Religious Right?
6. What does Wright find confusing at first when he is at the new cathedral in Dallas?
7. Who was Michael Piazza, and what did he offer White?
8. What group does Jerry Falwell form, and who influenced his founding of it?
9. How does White handle his relationship with David as far as Lyla is concerned?
10. What happens one night when White becomes too stressed about his life? What does he do after that?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)