|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose symbolic child does Mel consider himself to be?
(a) No particular group.
(b) The Radical Left.
(c) The Religious Right.
(d) The Hippies of the sixties.
2. What happens to Jeffrey eventually?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He becomes a preacher and marries happily.
(c) He becomes an outspoken advocate for gay rights.
(d) He ends up in the state mental hospital.
3. Who dies ten years after he kisses Mel?
(a) Gordon H.
(b) Mel's second cousin who was gay.
(c) The Roman Catholic priest.
(d) Mel's best friend in high school.
4. What does Mel say his murdered friend preferred to risk rather than share his feelings?
(a) His family's rejection.
(b) A failed marriage to a woman.
(c) The depression of celibacy.
(d) Anonymous sex.
5. When does Mel's attraction to men finally lessen?
(a) It never lessens.
(b) After a year of treatments.
(c) Several years later.
(d) When Mel learns of AIDS and its stages.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Martin Luther King criticize Christian churches?
2. What is Martin Luther King arguing at the time of Lyla and Mel's enrollment in college?
3. What is one of Mel's first homosexual memories?
4. For what organization does Mel work?
5. Where does Mel go after he and Lyla become engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jeffrey S. and what is his story?
2. From where does Mel say his self hatred arose?
3. Describe how Mel and Lyla met.
4. Describe Mel's brief involvement with Ted.
5. What is Mel's memories of a boy named Darrel at camp?
6. Why does Mel not think it was unethical of him to marry Lyla when he returns from the Choir tour?
7. What does White relate about Falwell and civil rights?
8. What does Mel say about whom he might blame for his homosexuality and his feeling miserable as an adolescent?
9. Where is White called to become the senior pastor, and what does Lyla do at the same church?
10. What does Mel White recall about a young seminarian who preached at a church camp Mel attends when he is twelve?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)