|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mel say often happens to gay men who stay in the closet?
(a) They become celibate.
(b) They suffer depression.
(c) They are killed from anonymous sex or AIDS.
(d) They commit suicide.
2. Who is John Finch?
(a) Mel's pastor.
(b) Tom's best friend.
(c) Mel's ghost writer.
(d) A Christian psychologist at Fuller.
3. When do Lyla and Mel file for divorce?
(a) October, 1988.
(b) March, 1986
(c) March, 1985.
(d) June, 1980.
4. What does White contemplate while taking scuba training?
(a) Meeting other men through Scuba diving.
(c) Nothing that he mentions.
(d) God's mercy.
5. Who is Dr. Warren Jones?
(a) A televangelist in the local Los Angeles area.
(b) The new pastor at Mel's church.
(c) A former professor of Mel's at Fuller.
(d) Mel's new psychiatrist.
6. What does Mel decide to sacrifice?
(a) His writing income.
(c) His job.
(d) All sensual pleasures.
7. Who are Philip and Janet Yancey?
(a) Mel's friends who own a resort in Northern California.
(b) A couple Mel meets in Hawaii.
(c) Two of Falwell's administrators who try to convince Mel to be celibate.
(d) Mel's friends with whom he sometimes discussed his homosexuality.
8. What did Mel do immediately upon meeting Tom Montgomery?
(a) Asked Tom why God would condemn homosexuals.
(b) Encouraged his sister not to marry the man.
(c) Asked Tom to file a lawsuit about gays and the church.
(d) Had sex with the man.
9. Who is Tom Montgomery?
(a) A man Mel meets in a gay bar.
(b) Mel's spiritual adviser.
(c) Mel's lawyer.
(d) Mel's brother-in-law.
10. What group does Falwell form partly through the influence of Francis Schaeffer?
(a) Moral Majority.
(b) Moral Minority.
(c) Christian Minority.
(d) Christian Majority.
11. How does Mel think that the very strong Christians seem to be?
(a) More accepting of gays.
(b) Indifferent to the way the religious right was exploiting people emotionally.
(c) Less rigid about many issues.
(d) More strongly anti-gay.
12. Who is Phyliss Hart?
(a) Lyla's best friend and confidante.
(b) A psychologist at Fuller Theological Seminary.
(c) The woman who saves White when he is drowning in Hawaii.
(d) A theologian.
13. What does Mel say David never misses?
(a) A new face at the bar.
(b) A chance to laugh.
(c) His coming out day celebration.
14. What do many counselors encourage Mel and Lyla to do?
(b) Divorce immediately.
(c) Wait at least a year to separate.
(d) Work things out.
15. To what group does White see some parallels to the religious right?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls White and asks him to work on an important book when White is contemplating moving to be with Tom?
2. Why does White consider a change in jobs and locations?
3. What does Mel see as destroying his family?
4. What does Mel see as one aspect to many of the right-wing Christian leaders for whom Mel works?
5. What two evangelists seem to be opposites in personality according to White?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)