|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By whom was a friend of Mel's murdered?
(a) A male prostitute.
(b) A member of a biker group.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A gang.
2. What does Mel have to restrain when at camps?
(a) His desire to be with a girl just to prove his normalcy.
(b) His desire to be physically close to other boys.
(c) His unspoken questions about religion.
(d) His outspoken hatred towards the church.
3. Where does Mel meet Lyla Lee?
(a) Middle school.
(b) A college class.
(c) At the roller rink.
(d) High school.
4. Who is Karl Barth?
(a) A professor in Mel's seminary.
(b) Mel's hero.
(c) Mel's therapist.
(d) A Christian theologian.
5. What does Darrel do that made Mel think about the boy obsessively?
(a) Says mean things to Mel.
(b) Touches Mel while they were swimming.
(c) Dances with Mel.
(d) Kisses Mel.
6. How does Mel describe his mother?
(a) She wore the pants in the family.
(b) Very religious but tolerant of other beliefs.
(c) Strong but passive.
(d) Wise and assertive.
7. What is the name of the first book and movie Mel makes?
(a) In the Presence of Mine Enemies.
(b) My Enemies Will Never Smite My Soul.
(c) With God, I Have No Enemies.
(d) Enemies are Friends Waiting for God's Grace.
8. For what organization does Mel work?
(a) Portland Youth for Christ.
(b) Portland Gay Rights.
9. Where does Mel attend seminary?
10. For what does Martin Luther King criticize Christian churches?
(a) Dragging their feet when it comes to social justice.
(b) Promoting the status quo.
(c) Enjoying the riches of an unequal society.
(d) Condemning homosexuals.
11. What is Martin Luther King arguing at the time of Lyla and Mel's enrollment in college?
(a) Christians need to stay above the political/social fights.
(b) Christians were obligated to fight social evil.
(c) Gays are not born homosexual so they do not deserve civil rights.
(d) Gay rights were as important as other civil rights.
12. How does White feel about marrying Lyla?
13. What word(s) sets Mel to researching the Bible about homosexuality.?
(d) Shall not.
14. What does Mel say his relationship to his father is like when Mel is younger?
(a) He felt alienated from his father.
(b) Very close.
(c) He felt afraid of his father.
(d) Close but Mel could not confide in the man.
15. What does Mel regret about his time during the civil rights era?
(a) Sitting on the sidelines.
(b) Speaking out against civil rights for blacks.
(c) Not trying to become friends with blacks.
(d) Not pushing homosexual rights when he worked so hard for black Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. The young seminarian invites questions about _________________.
2. What does Mel use in order to cure his homosexuality?
3. What position does Lyla hold in high school?
4. When does Mel resign his position with Evangelical Covenant Church?
5. For what is Falwell known concerning the Civil Rights Act?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)