|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Martin Luther King arguing at the time of Lyla and Mel's enrollment in college?
(a) Gays are not born homosexual so they do not deserve civil rights.
(b) Gay rights were as important as other civil rights.
(c) Christians need to stay above the political/social fights.
(d) Christians were obligated to fight social evil.
2. How does Mel say he appears on the outside in high school?
3. Whom does Mel meet on his and Lyla's honeymoon?
(a) A friend from junior high school.
(b) An older Irish man.
(c) An attractive Frenchman.
(d) A blond Greek.
4. What college does Mel attend for his doctorate?
(b) UC Berkeley.
5. The young seminarian invites questions about _________________.
(b) Heaven and hell.
(d) The church.
6. Who is Karl Barth?
(a) A professor in Mel's seminary.
(b) A Christian theologian.
(c) Mel's hero.
(d) Mel's therapist.
7. What is one reason that Mel finds for which Sodom was not destroyed?
(b) Homosexual acts of its citizens.
(c) A volcano.
(d) An earthquake.
8. What happens to Denny while Mel is still in college?
(a) He dies from complications of an accident.
(b) He drops out of communication with his family.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He goes to Vietnam and is killed.
9. What happens to Mel's career during the Seventies?
(a) No change takes place during this decade.
(b) His film-making and writing talents took off.
(c) He has a slump and cannot find a job.
(d) He is ostracized by the film community.
10. Who is Peter W.?
(a) The author of a book about the sexual ways men get together.
(b) Mel's first real lover.
(c) Mel's pastor who excoriates Mel for Mel's revelations.
(d) The third male that Mel has a crush on when younger.
11. Upon what basis does Mel say homosexuality is attacked today?
(a) Ignorance about why people are homosexual.
(b) Hatred of those who are different.
(c) Fear of God's punishment.
(d) Gross misinterpretations of Scripture.
12. How does Mel relate to Howard Rutledge?
(a) Mel believes Howard is gay.
(b) Mel feels trapped just as Rutledge did.
(c) Mel feels that God is the only way he is able to live.
(d) Mel feels conflicted as Rutledge does.
13. In what is Lyla totally uninterested?
(a) The Bible study group Mel leads.
(b) Having children.
(c) Dating other men before marrying Mel.
(d) Moving away from her home town.
14. What does Mel pretend when he is younger?
(a) He is adopted.
(b) He likes girls.
(c) He is incompetent.
(d) He is sickly.
15. Why does Mel blame Dr. Parker?
(a) For Dr. Parker's stance against homosexuality.
(b) Mel does not blame Dr. Parker.
(c) For telling Mel's parents about Mel's homosexuality.
(d) For trying to cure his homosexuality.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does White feel about marrying Lyla?
2. Why does Mel feel alienated in high school?
3. What does Mel say about Karen K. in retrospect?
4. How does Mel feel when Lyla asks him to dance?
5. How is Mel able to perform sexually with Lyla?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)