Essay Topic 1
Stranger at the Gate is a memoir by Mel White. Discuss the following:
1. Define the word "genre" in the context of literary criticism.
2. Why do you think literature is categorized by genre?
3. Does it help to know how a book is categorized as to its genre before reading it? Explain.
4. Memoir used to be considered inferior to what are considered "the classics." Why do you think this is so? Do you believe a book such as Stranger at the Gate is inferior to something such as A Tale of Two Cities? Explain.
5. What is your favorite genre and why?
Essay Topic 2
Stranger at the Gate takes place predominantly in the 1950s--1980s in California and Texas. Discuss the following:
1. Research and discuss the religious climate and theology of mainstream Christianity during the 1950s--1980s. How do you think the religious milieu informs the life of Mel...
This section contains 2,476 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)