|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Darrell feel is the only "sane" person in the family circle?
2. How does Darrell say he's become wealthy in Act 7?
3. How much time passes between Acts 6 and 7?
4. What does Nina speak about in her thoughts at the end of Act 5?
5. How long does Marsden say it's been since he's written in Act 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the imagery in the play. Define the terms simile and metaphor, and explain how O'Neill makes use of these in Strange Interlude. How does Nina's speech about the tide reflect this?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the theme of "Internal Conflict." How is this manifested in Strange Interlude? How does O'Neill express this through stream-of-consciousness style of writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Nina. How old is she in the beginning of the play, and at the end? What is her demeanor? How does this character change in the course of the play?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)