|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose death is Nina lamenting in the beginning of the play?
2. Where has Marsden been before the play begins?
3. What does Marsden do for a living?
4. Who says, "I used to wish I'd gone out deliberate in our first year, without my husband knowing, and picked a man, a healthy male to breed by, same's we do with stock, to give the man I loved a healthy child"?
5. What is Marsden's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nina say she's going away in Act 1?
2. What does Nina say about God's indifference in Act 2?
3. What does Nina complain about to Evans in Act 8? Why?
4. What does Marsden say about his writing in Act 8?
5. What do Evans' thoughts reveal about Nina in the beginning of Act 4? What do they reveal about his work?
6. What does Nina say to her father and Marsden regarding her last night with Gordon?
7. What does Gordon do with Darrell's birthday present? Why?
8. How does Nina feel about Evans in Act 4? How does this relate to her pregnancy?
9. What does Marsden contemplate about Darrell at the beginning of Act 6? Where has Marsden been?
10. What does Mrs. Evans say about Nina leaving Evans in Act 3? How does Nina respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Gordon (Nina's son). Whom does this character most resemble in the play? How does he feel about Nina? What is his relationship to his father like?
Essay Topic 2
How does the character of Marsden view the other characters in Strange Interlude? What about his perspective is unique in comparison to the others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Morality versus Happiness" in Strange Interlude. What does this theme mean? How is this expressed in the text?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)