|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nina say she is going in Part 1, Act 1?
2. Whom does Darrell say he couldn't share a woman with?
3. Where does Act 3 take place?
4. What does Nina threaten to do once Mrs. Evans tells her the truth about the Evans'?
5. Who says, "I used to wish I'd gone out deliberate in our first year, without my husband knowing, and picked a man, a healthy male to breed by, same's we do with stock, to give the man I loved a healthy child"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nina feel about Evans in Act 4? How does this relate to her pregnancy?
2. What are Marsden's thoughts at the beginning of Act 1?
3. What does Nina say to Darrell regarding love and marriage in Act 4?
4. What does Evans ask of Marsden in Act 2? Why? How does Marsden respond?
5. How does Gordon feel about Darrell in Act 7? How does he respond to Darrell's comments about Evans?
6. What do Evans and his mother talk about in Act 3? What does she ask him about Nina?
7. What does Darrell say regarding romanticism in Act 5?
8. How does Marsden feel when he is left alone with Nina in Act 6?
9. What are Marsden's thoughts at the beginning of Act 2?
10. What does Marsden say about his mother's illness in Act 5? Why does Nina admonish him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Evans and Darrell. How are these characters similar? How are they different? Who do they share love for?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the imagery in the play. Define the terms simile and metaphor, and explain how O'Neill makes use of these in Strange Interlude. How does Nina's speech about the tide reflect this?
Essay Topic 3
What does "Oedipal Complex" mean? How does this theory play out thematically in Strange Interlude? Who most embodies this term?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)