|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business is Evans in?
2. Who has asked Nina to marry him in Act 2?
3. How long does Evans say he and Nina have been sleeping separately in Act 4?
4. What is Marsden's first name?
5. Who are Nina and Evans visiting in Act 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darrell say regarding romanticism in Act 5?
2. What does Marsden contemplate about Darrell at the beginning of Act 6? Where has Marsden been?
3. What does Leeds do at the end of Act 1? What are his thoughts?
4. What has happened between Acts 5 and 6? Who reveals the exposition at the beginning of this act?
5. What does Darrell tell Nina about Gordon's behavior towards him in Act 7?
6. How does Darrell feel toward Evans in Act 5? What does he plan to do at the end of the act?
7. What does Mrs. Evans ask Nina in Act 3? What is her response?
8. What does Nina complain about to Evans in Act 8? Why?
9. What do Darrell and Nina agree about in the end of Act 9? Who does Darrell suggest Nina marry?
10. In what ways does Evans compare himself to Gordon in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eugene O'Neill's writing style in Strange Interlude. What literary technique made this play unique? How has this technique affected plays, movies and television written since Strange Interlude?
Essay Topic 2
What does "Oedipal Complex" mean? How does this theory play out thematically in Strange Interlude? Who most embodies this term?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Evans and Darrell. How are these characters similar? How are they different? Who do they share love for?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)