|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Evans' father?
2. Who calls thoughts, "mosquitoes of the soul"?
3. When does Darrell say he'll marry in Act 4?
4. What is Evans' aunt's name?
5. How old is Dr. Darrell in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nina regard God in Act 8?
2. How does Darrell feel about his family in Act 9?
3. When and where does Act 8 take place? Who is present?
4. Where does Act 2 begin? How much time has passed since Act 1? What has happened?
5. What are Marsden's thoughts at the beginning of Act 1?
6. What does Mrs. Evans say about Nina leaving Evans in Act 3? How does Nina respond?
7. What do Marsden and Leeds speak about in Act 1?
8. What does Nina tease Marsden about in Act 6 that makes him angry? How does he react?
9. What does Nina say to her father and Marsden regarding her last night with Gordon?
10. Who does Darrell talk about in Act 8? Why does this upset Nina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does "Oedipal Complex" mean? How does this theory play out thematically in Strange Interlude? Who most embodies this term?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Nina and Madeline. How are they alike? How are they different? How do they each feel about Gordon?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Interlude." How does this theme manifest in Strange Interlude? Where is this title phrase used in the play? What does it describe?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)