|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks first in soliloquy in Part 1, Act 1 (the beginning of the play)?
2. Why does Nina say she must go away in Act 1?
3. Who calls thoughts, "mosquitoes of the soul"?
4. How many times did Marsden visit Nina while she was away between Acts 1 and 2?
5. How much training has Nina had as a nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nina say to her father after his confession?
2. What does Nina say to her father and Marsden regarding her last night with Gordon?
3. What does Mrs. Evans ask Nina in Act 3? What is her response?
4. What do Darrell's thoughts reveal about his feelings toward Nina and their situation in Act 5?
5. How does Nina feel about her family in Act 7? How does she feel about her life and about Darrell?
6. What does Nina complain about to Evans in Act 8? Why?
7. What does Darrell say regarding romanticism in Act 5?
8. Why does Leeds believe that Nina hates him?
9. What are Marsden's thoughts at the beginning of Act 1?
10. What do Marsden's thoughts reveal about Gordon in Act 4? Why did he suggest Nina write a biography about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme "Duality of God." What does this mean? How is the theme manifested in Strange Interlude?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how foreshadowing is employed in Strange Interlude. What events in particular are foreshadowed? Who speaks this dialogue?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Morality versus Happiness" in Strange Interlude. What does this theme mean? How is this expressed in the text?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)