|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Why does everyone in the world think they can write"?
2. What does Marsden say about Gordon's family?
3. Who talked Gordon out of the marriage before the war?
4. How old is Dr. Darrell in Act 2?
5. What does Nina tell Mrs. Evans she doesn't believe in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Evans' thoughts reveal about Nina in the beginning of Act 4? What do they reveal about his work?
2. What does Nina tell Darrell that she needs help with in Act 4? What does he respond?
3. When does Mrs. Evans say that Nina will see her again? Why?
4. How does Darrell feel toward Evans in Act 5? What does he plan to do at the end of the act?
5. What does Nina say about God's indifference in Act 2?
6. What does Marsden say about his mother's illness in Act 5? Why does Nina admonish him?
7. What do Darrell's thoughts reveal about his feelings toward Nina and their situation in Act 5?
8. How does Marsden feel when he is left alone with Nina in Act 6?
9. When and where does Act 8 take place? Who is present?
10. What does Darrell expose in Act 7 about his feelings of the family situation? What does he feel about Gordon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the imagery in the play. Define the terms simile and metaphor, and explain how O'Neill makes use of these in Strange Interlude. How does Nina's speech about the tide reflect this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Nina. How old is she in the beginning of the play, and at the end? What is her demeanor? How does this character change in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Eugene O'Neill's writing style in Strange Interlude. What literary technique made this play unique? How has this technique affected plays, movies and television written since Strange Interlude?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)