|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 4 take place?
2. Who has asked Nina to marry him in Act 2?
3. How many letters did Nina write to Marsden while she was gone from Act 1 to Act 2?
4. How long has Nina studied at the university?
5. Why does Nina say she must go away in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and where does Act 8 take place? Who is present?
2. How does Nina feel about Evans in Act 4? How does this relate to her pregnancy?
3. What does Nina tease Marsden about in Act 6 that makes him angry? How does he react?
4. What does Leeds do at the end of Act 1? What are his thoughts?
5. What does Nina say about God's indifference in Act 2?
6. What does Marsden say about his mother's illness in Act 5? Why does Nina admonish him?
7. How does Darrell feel toward Evans in Act 5? What does he plan to do at the end of the act?
8. What does Darrell expose in Act 7 about his feelings of the family situation? What does he feel about Gordon?
9. What does Nina tell Darrell that she needs help with in Act 4? What does he respond?
10. What does Darrell tell Marsden about Nina's behavior at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Nina. How old is she in the beginning of the play, and at the end? What is her demeanor? How does this character change in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Evans and Darrell. How are these characters similar? How are they different? Who do they share love for?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Morality versus Happiness" in Strange Interlude. What does this theme mean? How is this expressed in the text?
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)