Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Evans' mother want Nina to do?
2. Who is Nina writing a letter to at the beginning of Act 3?
3. Who says, "How we poor monkeys hide from ourselves behind the sounds of called words"?
4. Who calls thoughts, "mosquitoes of the soul"?
5. What does Nina write about not liking in her letter in Act 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Darrell's thoughts reveal about his feelings toward Nina and their situation in Act 5?
2. What does Gordon do with Darrell's birthday present? Why?
3. What does Marsden contemplate about Darrell at the beginning of Act 6? Where has Marsden been?
4. When does Mrs. Evans say that Nina will see her again? Why?
5. What does Leeds do at the end of Act 1? What are his thoughts?
6. How does Nina feel about Evans in Act 4? How does this relate to her pregnancy?
7. How does Darrell feel toward Evans in Act 5? What does he plan to do at the end of the act?
8. What are Marsden's thoughts at the beginning of Act 1?
9. What has happened between Acts 5 and 6? Who reveals the exposition at the beginning of this act?
10. What does Nina tease Marsden about in Act 6 that makes him angry? How does he react?
What does "Oedipal Complex" mean? How does this theory play out thematically in Strange Interlude? Who most embodies this term?
Discuss the imagery in the play. Define the terms simile and metaphor, and explain how O'Neill makes use of these in Strange Interlude. How does Nina's speech about the tide reflect this?
Discuss the theme of "Morality versus Happiness" in Strange Interlude. What does this theme mean? How is this expressed in the text?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)