|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 4 take place?
2. Why does Leeds say he hated Gordon?
3. Who has asked Nina to marry him in Act 2?
4. Where does Part 1, Act 1 take place?
5. Whom does Darrell have a letter for in Act 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darrell tell Marsden about Nina's behavior at the hospital?
2. What does Leeds do at the end of Act 1? What are his thoughts?
3. What do Nina's thoughts reveal about her father in Act 2?
4. What do Darrell's thoughts reveal about his feelings toward Nina and their situation in Act 5?
5. What does Nina say about God's indifference in Act 2?
6. What does Darrell expose in Act 7 about his feelings of the family situation? What does he feel about Gordon?
7. What is happening in the beginning of Act 9?
8. What does Nina tease Marsden about in Act 6 that makes him angry? How does he react?
9. What do Darrell and Nina agree about in the end of Act 9? Who does Darrell suggest Nina marry?
10. When does Mrs. Evans say that Nina will see her again? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Interlude." How does this theme manifest in Strange Interlude? Where is this title phrase used in the play? What does it describe?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of mental illness in Strange Interlude. Who is afflicted with mental illness in the play? How does mental illness propel the actions of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot of Strange Interlude. Include the definitions for action, objective, rising action, climax, and falling action as well as citing where these occur in the text.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)