|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Darrell say he'll marry in Act 4?
2. What does Nina suggest to Darrell in Act 4?
3. How long has Nina studied at the university?
4. Who is Nina writing a letter to at the beginning of Act 3?
5. Why does Nina say she must go away in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darrell tell Nina about Gordon's behavior towards him in Act 7?
2. What does Mrs. Evans ask Nina in Act 3? What is her response?
3. What exposition is provided by Nina's thoughts in the beginning of Act 5? How does Nina feel about Darrell?
4. What does Darrell expose in Act 7 about his feelings of the family situation? What does he feel about Gordon?
5. What does Leeds confess to Nina in Act 1?
6. How does Darrell feel toward Evans in Act 5? What does he plan to do at the end of the act?
7. How does Nina regard God in Act 8?
8. What does Nina's mother-in-law tell her about the Evans' family?
9. Where does Act 2 begin? How much time has passed since Act 1? What has happened?
10. What does Mrs. Evans say about Nina leaving Evans in Act 3? How does Nina respond?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the "non-character" of Gordon (the first). How does this character affect the action of the play? How is he regarded by the characters in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the imagery in the play. Define the terms simile and metaphor, and explain how O'Neill makes use of these in Strange Interlude. How does Nina's speech about the tide reflect this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Morality versus Happiness" in Strange Interlude. What does this theme mean? How is this expressed in the text?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)