|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nina say she must go away in Act 1?
2. What does Leeds admit to Nina that he told Gordon in Act 1?
3. Who found Professor Leeds' body?
4. Who says, "Why does everyone in the world think they can write"?
5. How many times did Marsden visit Nina while she was away between Acts 1 and 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darrell expose in Act 7 about his feelings of the family situation? What does he feel about Gordon?
2. What do Evans and his mother talk about in Act 3? What does she ask him about Nina?
3. What is happening in the beginning of Act 9?
4. What does Nina say to her father after his confession?
5. How does Nina feel about Evans in Act 4? How does this relate to her pregnancy?
6. Why does Darrell say he is able to leave his work frequently? Who asks him about this in Act 7?
7. What does Nina tell Darrell that she needs help with in Act 4? What does he respond?
8. Who does Darrell talk about in Act 8? Why does this upset Nina?
9. What do Darrell's thoughts reveal about his feelings toward Nina and their situation in Act 5?
10. How does Darrell feel about his family in Act 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does "Oedipal Complex" mean? How does this theory play out thematically in Strange Interlude? Who most embodies this term?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Eugene O'Neill's writing style in Strange Interlude. What literary technique made this play unique? How has this technique affected plays, movies and television written since Strange Interlude?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme "Duality of God." What does this mean? How is the theme manifested in Strange Interlude?
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)