|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nina complain to her father about in Part 1, Act 1?
2. Who is sitting in the room at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What does Nina suggest to Darrell in Act 4?
4. Who drove Nina and Evans to upstate New York in Act 3?
5. What is Evans' aunt's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leeds do at the end of Act 1? What are his thoughts?
2. What do Darrell's thoughts reveal about his feelings toward Nina and their situation in Act 5?
3. What do Evans and his mother talk about in Act 3? What does she ask him about Nina?
4. What does Nina say to her father after his confession?
5. What are Marsden's thoughts at the beginning of Act 2?
6. What is Nina jealous of in Act 8? Who knows about this?
7. Who arrives unexpectedly in Act 6? Why?
8. What does Darrell tell Nina about Gordon's behavior towards him in Act 7?
9. What does Evans ask of Marsden in Act 2? Why? How does Marsden respond?
10. What does Nina say to her father and Marsden regarding her last night with Gordon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Nina and Madeline. How are they alike? How are they different? How do they each feel about Gordon?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of mental illness in Strange Interlude. Who is afflicted with mental illness in the play? How does mental illness propel the actions of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
What does "Oedipal Complex" mean? How does this theory play out thematically in Strange Interlude? Who most embodies this term?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)