|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "How we poor monkeys hide from ourselves behind the sounds of called words"?
2. What does Darrell want Marsden to help convince Nina to do in Act 2?
3. What does Mrs. Evans' tell Nina about the Evans family?
4. Whose death is Nina lamenting in the beginning of the play?
5. What does Nina write about not liking in her letter in Act 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Marsden's thoughts reveal about Nina in Act 3?
2. What are Marsden's thoughts at the beginning of Act 1?
3. What are Marsden's thoughts at the beginning of Act 2?
4. Who interrupts Gordon and Madeline in Act 9? What are this character's thoughts about them?
5. What does Darrell want Nina to do in Act 6? How does she respond?
6. In what ways does Evans compare himself to Gordon in Act 2?
7. What does Marsden say about his mother's illness in Act 5? Why does Nina admonish him?
8. What exposition is provided by Nina's thoughts in the beginning of Act 5? How does Nina feel about Darrell?
9. What do Darrell's thoughts reveal about his feelings toward Nina and their situation in Act 5?
10. Why has Nina not told anyone about her pregnancy in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how foreshadowing is employed in Strange Interlude. What events in particular are foreshadowed? Who speaks this dialogue?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the "non-character" of Gordon (the first). How does this character affect the action of the play? How is he regarded by the characters in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Evans and Darrell. How are these characters similar? How are they different? Who do they share love for?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)