|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom has Nina married in Act 3?
2. How long does Evans say he and Nina have been sleeping separately in Act 4?
3. In what language does Leeds read at the end of Act 1?
4. Who are Nina and Evans visiting in Act 3?
5. How many letters did Nina write to Marsden while she was gone from Act 1 to Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Darrell's response to the money Evans left him in his will?
2. How does Marsden feel when he is left alone with Nina in Act 6?
3. How does Gordon feel about Darrell in Act 7? How does he respond to Darrell's comments about Evans?
4. What does Evans ask of Marsden in Act 2? Why? How does Marsden respond?
5. What has happened between Acts 5 and 6? Who reveals the exposition at the beginning of this act?
6. Why does Darrell say he is able to leave his work frequently? Who asks him about this in Act 7?
7. What does Nina tease Marsden about in Act 6 that makes him angry? How does he react?
8. What does Nina say to Darrell regarding love and marriage in Act 4?
9. Why does Leeds believe that Nina hates him?
10. Where does Act 2 begin? How much time has passed since Act 1? What has happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Nina and Madeline. How are they alike? How are they different? How do they each feel about Gordon?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Reverence for the Father" in Strange Interlude. How does this theme apply to Nina? How does it apply to Gordon? To Darrell?
Essay Topic 3
What does "Oedipal Complex" mean? How does this theory play out thematically in Strange Interlude? Who most embodies this term?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)