|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I used to wish I'd gone out deliberate in our first year, without my husband knowing, and picked a man, a healthy male to breed by, same's we do with stock, to give the man I loved a healthy child"?
2. What is Evans trying to do at the beginning of Act 4?
3. What does Evans' mother call him?
4. How long has Nina studied at the university?
5. How old is Evans' mother in Act 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darrell say regarding romanticism in Act 5?
2. What does Nina say about God's indifference in Act 2?
3. How does Gordon feel about Darrell in Act 7? How does he respond to Darrell's comments about Evans?
4. What does Nina complain about to Evans in Act 8? Why?
5. What are Marsden's thoughts at the beginning of Act 2?
6. Why does Nina say she's going away in Act 1?
7. What does Marsden ask Darrell about regarding his mother in Act 4? What is his response?
8. What does Nina reveal in reading aloud her letter in Act 3?
9. When does Mrs. Evans say that Nina will see her again? Why?
10. How does Nina feel about her family in Act 7? How does she feel about her life and about Darrell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Nina. How old is she in the beginning of the play, and at the end? What is her demeanor? How does this character change in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics of Nina and Madeline. How are they alike? How are they different? How do they each feel about Gordon?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motifs and symbols in Strange Interlude. Define these terms in your answer. How do these motifs and symbols help to inform the themes of the play?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)