|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nina writing in Act 4?
2. What does Marsden ask Darrell about?
3. What does Darrell want Marsden to help convince Nina to do in Act 2?
4. What is Dr. Darrell's first name?
5. Where has Marsden been before the play begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Darrell talk about in Act 8? Why does this upset Nina?
2. What does Nina think about doing in the end of Act 9? What are her feelings?
3. What does Mrs. Evans say about Nina leaving Evans in Act 3? How does Nina respond?
4. What does Darrell tell Marsden about Nina's behavior at the hospital?
5. What does Marsden contemplate about Darrell at the beginning of Act 6? Where has Marsden been?
6. Who interrupts Gordon and Madeline in Act 9? What are this character's thoughts about them?
7. How does Marsden feel about Nina and Darrell in Act 5? What does he intend to do about it?
8. When and where does Act 8 take place? Who is present?
9. How does Darrell feel about his family in Act 9?
10. What do Marsden and Leeds speak about in Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the theme of "Internal Conflict." How is this manifested in Strange Interlude? How does O'Neill express this through stream-of-consciousness style of writing?
Essay Topic 2
How does Nina feel about her father? Why? Describe this relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Gordon (Nina's son). Whom does this character most resemble in the play? How does he feel about Nina? What is his relationship to his father like?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)