|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks first in soliloquy in Part 1, Act 1 (the beginning of the play)?
2. What does Marsden intuitively know about Nina?
3. Who says, "How we poor monkeys hide from ourselves behind the sounds of called words"?
4. What does Marsden wonder whether Nina will feel at the beginning of Act 2?
5. In what language does Leeds read at the end of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marsden feel when he is left alone with Nina in Act 6?
2. What does Nina's mother-in-law tell her about the Evans' family?
3. What is happening in the beginning of Act 9?
4. Why does Leeds believe that Nina hates him?
5. Why does Darrell say he is able to leave his work frequently? Who asks him about this in Act 7?
6. What does Darrell say regarding romanticism in Act 5?
7. When and where does Act 8 take place? Who is present?
8. What does Nina reveal in reading aloud her letter in Act 3?
9. Who arrives unexpectedly in Act 6? Why?
10. What do Darrell and Nina agree about in the end of Act 9? Who does Darrell suggest Nina marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of mental illness in Strange Interlude. Who is afflicted with mental illness in the play? How does mental illness propel the actions of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how foreshadowing is employed in Strange Interlude. What events in particular are foreshadowed? Who speaks this dialogue?
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of Marsden view the other characters in Strange Interlude? What about his perspective is unique in comparison to the others?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)