|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Evans' mother in Act 3?
2. How much time passes between Acts 3 and 4?
3. Whom does Darrell say he couldn't share a woman with?
4. Who found Professor Leeds' body?
5. Who calls thoughts, "mosquitoes of the soul"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marsden contemplate about Darrell at the beginning of Act 6? Where has Marsden been?
2. What does Nina tell Darrell that she needs help with in Act 4? What does he respond?
3. What does Nina say to her father and Marsden regarding her last night with Gordon?
4. What does Gordon do with Darrell's birthday present? Why?
5. Where does Act 2 begin? How much time has passed since Act 1? What has happened?
6. What does Mrs. Evans say about Nina leaving Evans in Act 3? How does Nina respond?
7. How does Nina regard God in Act 8?
8. How does Darrell feel about his family in Act 9?
9. What does Nina think about doing in the end of Act 9? What are her feelings?
10. What does Darrell want Nina to do in Act 6? How does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the theme of "Internal Conflict." How is this manifested in Strange Interlude? How does O'Neill express this through stream-of-consciousness style of writing?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Evans and Darrell. How are these characters similar? How are they different? Who do they share love for?
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of Marsden view the other characters in Strange Interlude? What about his perspective is unique in comparison to the others?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)