|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Evans ask Marsden for as he leaves in Act 4?
(a) A loan.
(b) A gift for the baby.
(c) A lift to the store.
(d) His blessing.
2. Why does Nina say she must go away in Act 1?
(a) To break a curse.
(b) To find a husband.
(c) To make money for the family.
(d) To pay her duty to Gordon.
3. What about Nina causes concern for her father in Part 1, Act 1?
(a) Her promiscuity.
(b) Her erratic behavior.
(c) Her refusal to wed.
(d) Her spending of money.
4. How much time has passed between Act 1 and Act 2?
(a) Two years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Sixteen years.
(d) About a year.
5. Who says, "I used to wish I'd gone out deliberate in our first year, without my husband knowing, and picked a man, a healthy male to breed by, same's we do with stock, to give the man I loved a healthy child"?
(b) Mrs. Evans.
6. How old is Evans' mother in Act 3?
7. What is Evans' aunt's name?
8. What does Nina complain to her father about in Part 1, Act 1?
(a) Being lectured by him.
(b) His stinginess with money.
(c) His lack of love.
(d) His forcing her to marry.
9. Who talked Gordon out of the marriage before the war?
(a) Professor Leeds.
(b) Nina Leeds.
(c) Edmund Darrell.
(d) Sam Evans.
10. How long has Nina studied at the university?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Four years.
11. When does Nina announce that she is leaving in Part 1, Act 1?
(a) That night.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
(d) Next week.
12. What does Marsden compare Nina's eyes to in recollecting his visits with her?
(a) A prostitute's.
(b) A widow's.
(d) A witch's.
13. How does Marsden know Leeds?
(a) He was his father's accountant.
(b) He arranged his wedding.
(c) He was his professor.
(d) He worked for him at the hospital.
14. Who begins sobbing the moment Nina arrives at the door in Act 2?
15. When does Darrell say he'll marry in Act 4?
(a) After 50.
(b) After 40.
(c) After 35.
(d) After 30.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Evans say he and Nina have been sleeping separately in Act 4?
2. What does Nina tell Mrs. Evans she doesn't believe in?
3. Where has Marsden been before the play begins?
4. What does Marsden wonder whether Nina will feel at the beginning of Act 2?
5. Who is Nina writing a letter to at the beginning of Act 3?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)