* Act 1 takes place in Leeds' study.
* Note: During the course of the play, characters speak aloud in soliloquy to express their inner thoughts.
* Marsden enters and speaks his thoughts, recalling his first visit, the early death of his father and how difficult it was for him to write in Europe.
* Marsden comments that being back in this town provides a quiet "interlude" in which he can remember, ask questions of himself, and write.
* Marsden's thoughts also refer to Nina, to Gordon, his and Nina's childhood friend, and to his mother, whom he thinks is jealous of his friendship with Nina.
* Marsden jokes to himself about his lack of a sex life and recalls a difficult and ridiculed sexual encounter with a woman while he was at school.
* Leeds enters, he and Marsden greet each other.
* Leeds' thoughts reveal that he sees Marsden as a calming influence...
This section contains 7,834 words
(approx. 27 pages at 300 words per page)