|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the first trial in Mary's murder case?
2. What does Mary buy at the five-and-ten that she says Harrold would not approve of?
3. What is the name of Mary's defense lawyer for her trial?
4. What sound takes Julia by surprise when she is in her house and talking with Helen after Mary's first trial?
5. What sound does Mary hear after she shoots Harrold?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack characterize his marriage when he speaks of it to Mary?
2. Describe the scene Everett finds when he goes to Mary's cottage after she shoots Harrold.
3. Why does Mary think Jack is good with children?
4. How does Harrold act when he comes to the cottage to find Mary?
5. What is Jack's response when Mary tells him she thinks she brought on Harrold's abuse because she was a "catalyst" for Harrold's anger?
6. What happens to Mary the night of the bonfire?
7. What happens when Mary falls into a honeypot when she is running to Jack's dinghy?
8. What happens just before Mary kills Harrold?
9. What does Jack tell Everett about what happened in the cottage?
10. What does Mary do when Jack has been out too long in his boat on a foggy day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Mary and Jack. What attracts her to him? What do they give each other in terms of comfort and happiness?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Harrold loses control at the cottage. What enrages him? Do you think he will kill Mary "eventually"?
Essay Topic 3
What first attracted Maureen to Harrold? What does she say about their early relationship? In what way did he act as her mentor? How did that change?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)