|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of scholarship did Jack go to college on?
2. What does Jack's wife suffer from?
3. What sound takes Julia by surprise when she is in her house and talking with Helen after Mary's first trial?
4. What is the name of the prison Mary is in?
5. What does Mary like to do each morning at the cottage after she has made herself a cup of coffee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens just before Mary kills Harrold?
2. What happens when Mary falls into a honeypot when she is running to Jack's dinghy?
3. What does Jack tell Everett about what happened in the cottage?
4. How does Jack characterize his marriage when he speaks of it to Mary?
5. How do we know that Willis lies to Helen about revealing Mary's location?
6. What does Mary do when Jack has been out too long in his boat on a foggy day?
7. Why does Mary believe that Harrold could successfully use a fork as a weapon to harm her?
8. Describe the scene Everett finds when he goes to Mary's cottage after she shoots Harrold.
9. Does Mary tell Jack the truth about Harrold and the abuse she suffered?
10. What is Jack's response when Mary tells him she thinks she brought on Harrold's abuse because she was a "catalyst" for Harrold's anger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mary's decision-making process when she decides to kill Harrold. What other alternatives does she explore and discard before she decides to kill him with Jack's gun? What does she believe she will never have if he lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Harrold and his father. What happened in Harrold's childhood that Maureen believes scarred him for life? Does this make her feel sympathetic toward him?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Helen want Caroline to know the truth of her mother's story? In what way does she feel guilty about her role in Mary's imprisonment? What does she hope to achieve by giving Caroline money? Is she ashamed of her ambition and greed now that she looks back?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)