|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary like to do each morning at the cottage after she has made herself a cup of coffee?
2. What does Harrold say he will do if Mary comes home with him when he is in her cottage kitchen?
3. How long does Willis say that Jack will keep his boat in the water?
4. What color shoes is the private investigator wearing when he slipped on the steps to Everett's store?
5. When does Mary call her mother each week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What items does Mary find in a cabinet when she is on Jack's boat?
2. Why does Mary think Jack is good with children?
3. What does Julia say to Helen about Mary's trial?
4. How does Jack characterize his marriage when he speaks of it to Mary?
5. What happens when Mary falls into a honeypot when she is running to Jack's dinghy?
6. What does Willis tell the reporter Helen Scofield after the trial?
7. How does Harrold act when he comes to the cottage to find Mary?
8. What happens to Mary the night of the bonfire?
9. Why do Jack and Mary take Caroline to the clinic in Machias?
10. What does Mary do when Jack has been out too long in his boat on a foggy day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Harrold loses control at the cottage. What enrages him? Do you think he will kill Mary "eventually"?
Essay Topic 2
Helen Scofield remembers her father saying "The reporter's job is simply to find its shape." What did he mean by this? Does Helen follow his advice when she writes Mary Amesbury's story?
Essay Topic 3
What important lesson does Jack teach Mary about the abuse she has suffered? How does understanding this lesson give her confidence in herself to stand up to Harrold when he comes to the cottage?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)