|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen bring Caroline when she visits her?
2. What is the weather like when Mary goes for a walk her first night in St. Hilaire?
3. What does Willis Beale bring Mary the first time he meets her?
4. What does Mary fix for dinner on her first night in the cottage?
5. How does Jeffrey describe Harrold's writing style?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Everett Shed describe the town of St. Hilaire and his role in it when he is interviewed by Helen?
2. What happens when Maureen takes Caroline and goes to her mother's house?
3. Describe the setting of St. Hilaire.
4. What changes does Maureen make in her job at the magazine because of Harrold?
5. How does Harrold encourage Maureen to change her physical appearance?
6. What role does alcohol play in Maureen and Harrold's relationship?
7. How does Harrold's father treat Harrold and Maureen when they visit him in Rhode Island?
8. What does Maureen do when she goes to the general store in St. Hilaire?
9. In what ways does Harrold seem to change for a short time after Caroline is born?
10. What does Mary think of the cottage Julia shows her on the point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Willis Beale and his attitude toward Mary. Why does he tell the private investigator where Mary is living? What is he jealous of regarding Mary? Does his jealousy taint his comments about her to Helen?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways Mary places Caroline's safety and best interests above all else. How does she try to protect her daughter? Why does she ask Julia to raise her?
Essay Topic 3
What first attracted Maureen to Harrold? What does she say about their early relationship? In what way did he act as her mentor? How did that change?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)