|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the big town close to St. Hilaire?
2. What does Mary decide she will buy because she thinks the silence in the cottage is a little too much?
3. What kind of presents does Harrold first bring to Mary when he returns from foreign trips?
4. Where does Harrold go the day after he asks Maureen to marry him?
5. What does Maureen wear on her head the day she is married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia Strout describe Mary to the reporter Helen Scofield?
2. Why does Maureen change her name to Mary when she is signing the hotel register?
3. How does Everett Shed describe the town of St. Hilaire and his role in it when he is interviewed by Helen?
4. What does Harrold hear when he is talking on the phone with Maureen while she is staying at a hotel in Los Angeles?
5. What changes does Maureen make in her job at the magazine because of Harrold?
6. How does Harrold's father treat Harrold and Maureen when they visit him in Rhode Island?
7. What keeps Mary awake her first night at the cottage?
8. What is one trait of Harrold's that Maureen admires?
9. What happens when Maureen takes Caroline and goes to her mother's house?
10. What does Mary think of the cottage Julia shows her on the point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of abuse in this novel and its effect on Maureen emotionally and physically. How does it isolate her from others? Why does she feel she cannot tell anyone about the abuse?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mary's decision-making process when she decides to kill Harrold. What other alternatives does she explore and discard before she decides to kill him with Jack's gun? What does she believe she will never have if he lives?
Essay Topic 3
What important lesson does Jack teach Mary about the abuse she has suffered? How does understanding this lesson give her confidence in herself to stand up to Harrold when he comes to the cottage?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)