|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Harrold and Maureen go on their first date?
2. What does Mary's baby do the first day they are in the cottage that makes Mary's heart swell?
3. What year is it when the main character arrives in St. Hilaire?
4. What do Maureen and Harrold do after work most every night when they are living together?
5. What do people do to make a living in the village of St. Hilaire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What keeps Mary awake her first night at the cottage?
2. What role does alcohol play in Maureen and Harrold's relationship?
3. Is Muriel Noyers sympathetic to Maureen?
4. How does Julia Strout describe Mary to the reporter Helen Scofield?
5. What happens when Maureen goes into labor?
6. Describe the setting of St. Hilaire.
7. Explain why Maureen moves into Harrold's apartment.
8. When is the first time Mary sees Jack Strout?
9. Why does Maureen change her name to Mary when she is signing the hotel register?
10. How does Harrold react when Maureen has a cold and indicates she wants to be by herself one evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens between Maureen and Harrold the night that Maureen runs away to Maine? Why does this event make her determined to separate herself from him? How is she smarter about the choices she makes in getting away this time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways Mary places Caroline's safety and best interests above all else. How does she try to protect her daughter? Why does she ask Julia to raise her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Willis Beale and his attitude toward Mary. Why does he tell the private investigator where Mary is living? What is he jealous of regarding Mary? Does his jealousy taint his comments about her to Helen?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)