|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mary's name before she changed it?
2. What does Mary fix for dinner on her first night in the cottage?
3. Where do Harrold, Maureen, and Caroline go the first week of December?
4. Who goes with Maureen in the taxi the night Maureen goes into labor?
5. Where do Harrold and Maureen go on their first date?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julia Strout describe Mary to the reporter Helen Scofield?
2. What changes does Maureen make in her job at the magazine because of Harrold?
3. How does Harrold react when Maureen has a cold and indicates she wants to be by herself one evening?
4. In what ways does Harrold seem to change for a short time after Caroline is born?
5. Describe the setting of St. Hilaire.
6. How does Mary "keep the fear at bay" on the first day at the cottage?
7. Describe Harrold's physical appearance.
8. Why does Maureen change her name to Mary when she is signing the hotel register?
9. What happens when Maureen goes into labor?
10. What happens when Maureen takes Caroline and goes to her mother's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mary and Jack take Caroline to the doctor's in Machias, why doesn't Mary confide in the doctor? What does this suggest about the time period and Mary's own feelings about herself as a victim?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Mary choose St. Hilaire as a place to hide from Harrold? What does she come to feel about this place, especially the cottage by the water? Does she seem to heal while she is there? How so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Harrold loses control at the cottage. What enrages him? Do you think he will kill Mary "eventually"?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)