|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary decide she will buy because she thinks the silence in the cottage is a little too much?
2. What is the subject of the story that Maureen covered when she traveled shortly after her wedding?
3. Who travels with Maureen shortly after her wedding to report on a story?
4. Where does Julia tell Mary a medical clinic is located?
5. When is the first time Harrold hits Maureen in the face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Willis Beal and his behavior at Mary's cottage.
2. How does Harrold encourage Maureen to change her physical appearance?
3. Is Muriel Noyers sympathetic to Maureen?
4. What is one trait of Harrold's that Maureen admires?
5. How does Mary "keep the fear at bay" on the first day at the cottage?
6. What does Mary think of the cottage Julia shows her on the point?
7. Explain why Maureen moves into Harrold's apartment.
8. How does Everett Shed describe the town of St. Hilaire and his role in it when he is interviewed by Helen?
9. What role does alcohol play in Maureen and Harrold's relationship?
10. When is the first time Mary sees Jack Strout?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What important lesson does Jack teach Mary about the abuse she has suffered? How does understanding this lesson give her confidence in herself to stand up to Harrold when he comes to the cottage?
Essay Topic 2
When Mary first arrives in St. Hilaire, how does she try to hide her bruises? Why does she lie about how she got them? Does this lie end up damaging her at the trial? How so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Harrold and his father. What happened in Harrold's childhood that Maureen believes scarred him for life? Does this make her feel sympathetic toward him?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)