|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like several days after the bonfire when Mary opens the bathroom window of the cottage?
2. What is the name of Mary's defense lawyer for her trial?
(a) Steven Richards.
(b) Jim Booth.
(c) Lester Owens.
(d) Sam Cotton.
3. What is the result of the first trial in Mary's murder case?
(a) Mistrial because of an error in proceedings.
(b) Hung jury because the jury cannot agree on a verdict.
(c) Mary was found guilty.
(d) Mary was acquitted.
4. Where does Mary go two days a week in St. Hilaire?
(a) Toy store.
5. What is the name of the neighbor who owns the blue Cape house next door to the cottage Mary rents?
(a) St. John.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary buy at the five-and-ten that she says Harrold would not approve of?
2. What does Harrold say he will do if Mary comes home with him when he is in her cottage kitchen?
3. Who alerted Harrold to Mary's location in St. Hilaire?
4. How many books does Mary purchase when she buys a clock radio in a large town?
5. What are some boys protesting at the bonfire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Willis tell the reporter Helen Scofield after the trial?
2. How does Harrold act when he comes to the cottage to find Mary?
3. How does Mary describe Jack's physical appearance when she first meets him?
4. Does Mary tell Jack the truth about Harrold and the abuse she suffered?
5. What happens to Mary the night of the bonfire?
6. What does Jack tell Everett about what happened in the cottage?
7. How do we know that Willis lies to Helen about revealing Mary's location?
8. How does Jack characterize his marriage when he speaks of it to Mary?
9. What does Willis do that is annoying to Mary?
10. How does Everett try to protect Mary from being found when the detective questions him?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)