|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Willis say that Jack will keep his boat in the water?
(a) Late January.
(b) Until after Christmas.
(c) The first week of December.
(d) Early February.
2. What is the result of the first trial in Mary's murder case?
(a) Mary was acquitted.
(b) Mary was found guilty.
(c) Mistrial because of an error in proceedings.
(d) Hung jury because the jury cannot agree on a verdict.
3. Why does Mary dress in layers when Harrold comes into her cottage bedroom?
(a) She is cold.
(b) It's her usual way of dressing.
(c) To bring as many clothes as possible with her if she runs from him.
(d) For protection.
4. What does Willis tell Helen is Mary's motive for killing Harrold?
(a) Harrold was beating Jack.
(b) The gun went off accidentally.
(c) She was defending herself.
(d) She is covering up for Jack.
5. What sound takes Julia by surprise when she is in her house and talking with Helen after Mary's first trial?
(a) The sound of a baby crying.
(b) Low-flying helicopter.
(d) Gun fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of sandwiches does Jack serve Mary when she is on his boat?
2. Why does Mary want to give Caroline aspirin on the night she can't settle the baby down and decides to go for a walk when she is at the cottage?
3. When does Mary call her mother each week?
4. Whose name does Mary not want to give the clinic doctor when he is treating Caroline?
5. Where does Mary go when Harrold is sleeping heavily on the couch in the living room cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack tell Everett about what happened in the cottage?
2. How does Harrold act when he comes to the cottage to find Mary?
3. How do we know that Willis lies to Helen about revealing Mary's location?
4. What does Mary tell Everett that Harrold did to her that night before she killed him?
5. How does Jack characterize his marriage when he speaks of it to Mary?
6. Why does Mary decide not to run away from Harrold or call the police after he passes out on the couch?
7. What happens when Mary falls into a honeypot when she is running to Jack's dinghy?
8. What does Willis tell the reporter Helen Scofield after the trial?
9. What happens to Mary the night of the bonfire?
10. What does Julia say to Helen about Mary's trial?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)