|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mary first stop when she arrives in St. Hilaire?
(a) General store.
(d) Laundry mat.
2. What is the subject of the story that Maureen covered when she traveled shortly after her wedding?
(a) Presidential campaign stop.
(b) Airplane crash.
(c) Oil spill.
(d) Congressional hearings.
3. What does Willis drink when he visits Mary after he first meets her?
4. How old is Willis when he first meets Mary?
5. Who is the main character of the story?
(a) Helen Scofield.
(b) Caroline English.
(c) Mary Amesbury.
(d) Harrold English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary decide she will buy because she thinks the silence in the cottage is a little too much?
2. What year is it when the main character arrives in St. Hilaire?
3. What is Maureen sick with the night Harrold proposes?
4. How old is Mary's child when she first arrives in St. Hilaire?
5. Where does Julia bring Mary the first time they meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maureen change her name to Mary when she is signing the hotel register?
2. What keeps Mary awake her first night at the cottage?
3. What happens when Maureen goes into labor?
4. Is Muriel Noyers sympathetic to Maureen?
5. What does Mary think of the cottage Julia shows her on the point?
6. What changes does Maureen make in her job at the magazine because of Harrold?
7. What happens when Maureen takes Caroline and goes to her mother's house?
8. Describe Harrold's physical appearance.
9. How does Harrold react when Maureen has a cold and indicates she wants to be by herself one evening?
10. In what ways does Harrold seem to change for a short time after Caroline is born?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)