|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Mary Amesbury and Caroline English?
(d) Mother and daughter.
2. How old is Mary's child when she first arrives in St. Hilaire?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Fifteen months.
(d) One month.
3. Who is the main character of the story?
(a) Harrold English.
(b) Helen Scofield.
(c) Caroline English.
(d) Mary Amesbury.
4. What is the subject of the story that Maureen covered when she traveled shortly after her wedding?
(a) Congressional hearings.
(b) Airplane crash.
(c) Oil spill.
(d) Presidential campaign stop.
5. Where does Julia tell Mary a medical clinic is located?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maureen throw out the window of her car as she leaves Manhattan when she runs away from Harrold?
2. What does Harrold accuse Maureen of when he hits her in the face the first time?
3. What was Mary's name before she changed it?
4. What kind of boat is the green and white boat Mary sees from her home?
5. What month does Maureen go into labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one trait of Harrold's that Maureen admires?
2. How does Harrold react when Maureen has a cold and indicates she wants to be by herself one evening?
3. What happens when Maureen takes Caroline and goes to her mother's house?
4. What changes does Maureen make in her job at the magazine because of Harrold?
5. What role does alcohol play in Maureen and Harrold's relationship?
6. Explain why Maureen moves into Harrold's apartment.
7. How does Julia Strout describe Mary to the reporter Helen Scofield?
8. When is the first time Mary sees Jack Strout?
9. Describe the setting of St. Hilaire.
10. What is one positive memory of Mary's childhood in Chicago?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)