|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Harrold and Maureen go on their first date?
(a) Opera performance.
(b) For drinks.
(c) To the movies.
(d) Walk in the park.
2. How does Jeffrey characterize Maureen in his interview with Helen?
(a) Attractive and classy.
(c) Beautiful, but unfriendly.
(d) Easily overlooked.
3. Where did Mary grow up?
(a) New York.
4. What does Mary fix for dinner on her first night in the cottage?
(c) Soup and salad.
5. What reason does Maureen give to her boss for why she could not travel out of the city for assignments?
(a) Motion sickness.
(c) She doesn't like staying at hotels.
(d) Fear of flying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Maureen in the taxi the night Maureen goes into labor?
2. What reason does Maureen give for the bruise on the side of her face after Harrold hits her the first time?
3. What does Mary's baby do the first day they are in the cottage that makes Mary's heart swell?
4. What color truck does Mary see in the lane after Willis has left on her first day in the cottage?
5. What is the subject of the story that Maureen covered when she traveled shortly after her wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one positive memory of Mary's childhood in Chicago?
2. Describe the setting of St. Hilaire.
3. What changes does Maureen make in her job at the magazine because of Harrold?
4. What does Maureen do when she goes to the general store in St. Hilaire?
5. What keeps Mary awake her first night at the cottage?
6. What role does alcohol play in Maureen and Harrold's relationship?
7. Is Muriel Noyers sympathetic to Maureen?
8. Explain why Maureen moves into Harrold's apartment.
9. How does Harrold react when Maureen has a cold and indicates she wants to be by herself one evening?
10. In what ways does Harrold seem to change for a short time after Caroline is born?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)