|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like when Mary goes for a walk her first night in St. Hilaire?
2. What was Mary's name before she changed it?
3. What does Mary fix for dinner on her first night in the cottage?
(a) Soup and salad.
4. How did Mary's mother get to work every day?
5. Who is Jeffrey Kaplan?
(a) Sports writer.
(b) General Manager of newspaper.
(c) Obit writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Willis describe his boat?
2. How does Jeffrey characterize Maureen in his interview with Helen?
3. What is the subject of the story that Maureen covered when she traveled shortly after her wedding?
4. Where does Harrold go the day after he asks Maureen to marry him?
5. Who travels with Maureen shortly after her wedding to report on a story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Maureen takes Caroline and goes to her mother's house?
2. What role does alcohol play in Maureen and Harrold's relationship?
3. Describe the setting of St. Hilaire.
4. Explain why Maureen moves into Harrold's apartment.
5. How does Mary "keep the fear at bay" on the first day at the cottage?
6. How does Julia Strout describe Mary to the reporter Helen Scofield?
7. How does Harrold react when Maureen has a cold and indicates she wants to be by herself one evening?
8. Describe Harrold's physical appearance.
9. What does Harrold hear when he is talking on the phone with Maureen while she is staying at a hotel in Los Angeles?
10. What does Maureen do when she goes to the general store in St. Hilaire?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)