|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mary wearing a scarf and sunglasses when she arrives in St. Hilaire?
(a) It is sunny and cold outside.
(b) To hide bruises.
(c) She has an aversion to light.
(d) She likes to look like a hollywood celebrity.
2. Where do Mary and Harrold get married?
(c) Harrold's apartment.
3. What kind of presents does Harrold first bring to Mary when he returns from foreign trips?
(a) Pictures of foreign places.
(b) Jewelry and clothes.
(c) Musical instruments.
(d) Inexpensive mementos.
4. Where do Harrold and Maureen both work when they first meet?
(d) Book publishers.
5. How old is Willis when he first meets Mary?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harrold accuse Maureen of when he hits her in the face the first time?
2. While trying to sleep the first night at the cottage, what does Mary think Harrold will do once he finds her?
3. Where did Mary grow up?
4. Where does Harrold go the day after he asks Maureen to marry him?
5. Who is the main character of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does alcohol play in Maureen and Harrold's relationship?
2. How does Mary "keep the fear at bay" on the first day at the cottage?
3. What does Harrold hear when he is talking on the phone with Maureen while she is staying at a hotel in Los Angeles?
4. What does Mary think of the cottage Julia shows her on the point?
5. What keeps Mary awake her first night at the cottage?
6. What is one trait of Harrold's that Maureen admires?
7. How does Harrold encourage Maureen to change her physical appearance?
8. Explain why Maureen moves into Harrold's apartment.
9. What happens when Maureen takes Caroline and goes to her mother's house?
10. Describe Harrold's physical appearance.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)