|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the writer of the memo at the beginning of the book?
(a) Helen Scofield.
(b) Mary Amesbury.
(c) Caroline English.
(d) Marueen English.
2. What is the subject of the story that Maureen covered when she traveled shortly after her wedding?
(a) Airplane crash.
(b) Presidential campaign stop.
(c) Congressional hearings.
(d) Oil spill.
3. What does Helen bring Caroline when she visits her?
(a) Her birth certificate.
(b) Sealed court documents.
(c) Tape recorder.
(d) Notes and research on the article she wrote.
4. What is the name of the hotel Mary stays in her first night in St. Hilaire?
(a) Trader's Inn.
(d) Step Back Inn.
5. What do people do to make a living in the village of St. Hilaire?
(a) Make electronics.
(b) Sell tourist items.
(c) Teach at the university.
6. Why is Mary wearing a scarf and sunglasses when she arrives in St. Hilaire?
(a) She likes to look like a hollywood celebrity.
(b) To hide bruises.
(c) It is sunny and cold outside.
(d) She has an aversion to light.
7. What season do Harrold and Mary get married in?
8. What reason does Maureen give to her boss for why she could not travel out of the city for assignments?
(a) She doesn't like staying at hotels.
(c) Fear of flying.
(d) Motion sickness.
9. Who goes with Maureen in the taxi the night Maureen goes into labor?
(d) Friend from work.
10. What kind of boat is the green and white boat Mary sees from her home?
(b) Lobster boat.
11. What does Mary do in her first day at the cottage to "keep the fear at bay"?
(a) Cleans the cottage.
(b) Heads into town to see a movie.
(d) Goes for a long walk.
12. What does Maureen throw out the window of her car as she leaves Manhattan when she runs away from Harrold?
(a) Harrold's wallet.
(b) Caroline's baby basket.
(c) Her pocketbook.
(d) Her wedding ring.
13. What does Mary's baby do the first day they are in the cottage that makes Mary's heart swell?
(a) Rolls over.
(b) She is on all fours, trying to propel herself forward.
(c) Claps her hands.
(d) Takes her first steps.
14. How does Maureen describe Harrold's eyes?
15. Where do Harrold and Maureen both work when they first meet?
(c) Book publishers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maureen learns she is pregnant, what does she do to celebrate?
2. What specialist says that Maureen "has longings"?
3. Who travels with Maureen shortly after her wedding to report on a story?
4. What is Maureen's first assignment on her new job when she met Harrold?
5. What is the weather like when Mary goes for a walk her first night in St. Hilaire?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)