|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel Mary stays in her first night in St. Hilaire?
(a) Trader's Inn.
(d) Step Back Inn.
2. While trying to sleep the first night at the cottage, what does Mary think Harrold will do once he finds her?
(b) Kill her.
(c) Bring them home.
(d) Have her arrested.
3. How does Jeffrey characterize Maureen in his interview with Helen?
(a) Attractive and classy.
(c) Easily overlooked.
(d) Beautiful, but unfriendly.
4. Who is the main character of the story?
(a) Helen Scofield.
(b) Harrold English.
(c) Mary Amesbury.
(d) Caroline English.
5. What reason does Maureen give for the bruise on the side of her face after Harrold hits her the first time?
(a) She bumped into a door.
(b) She fell down some icy steps.
(c) A cab door hit her in the face when it was opened.
(d) She fell in the shower.
6. What reason does Maureen give to her boss for why she could not travel out of the city for assignments?
(a) Fear of flying.
(b) Motion sickness.
(d) She doesn't like staying at hotels.
7. Where does Mary first stop when she arrives in St. Hilaire?
(a) Laundry mat.
(c) General store.
8. Who is Muriel Noyes?
(a) Restaurant owner.
(c) Post Office clerk.
(d) Hotel owner in St. Hilaire.
9. Where do Mary and Harrold get married?
(c) Harrold's apartment.
10. What is Maureen's first assignment on her new job when she met Harrold?
(c) City crime.
(d) Profile of the mayor.
11. What month does Maureen go into labor?
12. Where does Harrold's father live?
(a) New York.
(c) Rhode Island.
13. Who travels with Maureen shortly after her wedding to report on a story?
(a) Two reporters and a photographer.
(b) Photographer only.
(c) One other reporter.
14. Why is Mary wearing a scarf and sunglasses when she arrives in St. Hilaire?
(a) She likes to look like a hollywood celebrity.
(b) It is sunny and cold outside.
(c) To hide bruises.
(d) She has an aversion to light.
15. What are honeypots, according to Willis?
(a) Another name for fish traps.
(b) Small patches of quicksand that are exposed during low tide.
(c) Good restaurants.
(d) A pot to store honey.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does Harrold stay away from the apartment and the office after beating Maureen the first time?
2. Where did Mary grow up?
3. What does Maureen wear on her head the day she is married?
4. Where is Harrold the night Maureen gives birth?
5. Who is the writer of the memo at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)