|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hank have the reaction that he does to the dean's suggestion?
2. As Hank heads to campus after the call about the dead bird, he thinks about his father-in-law. What are his feelings about his father-in-law?
3. What is Hank surprised about, when he finally sees his father?
4. After he almost runs her down, what is his mother's reaction to what he has to say about Mr. Purty?
5. After Hank leaves his doctor's office, he almost runs his mother down. Who is she with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the professors gather for a party for Tony? Why are they having a party for him?
2. What happens while Hank is up in the office building ceiling?
3. After Hank teaches his class and finds out that his student Leo is actually responsible for killing the birds on campus, Hank goes to see the dean, Jacob Rose. What does Jacob tell him? How does Hank react? What happens after this?
4. What is Lily doing now? What project had Jacob Rose submitted that Lily and Hank got a grant for?
5. After going to his own office and speaking to his secretary, Hank heads to the Dean's (Jacob Rose) office. What does Hank do there and what kind of response does he get?
6. Where does Hank go after he visits Paul Bourke's place? What happens there that upsets Hank?
7. What does Mr. Purty tell Hank about his father? What is Hank's reaction?
8. What has happened to Hank's father and mother, according to the Epilogue?
9. What are Hank's Prologues to Book One and Two about, and where are they published? What is his mother's reaction to his writing?
10. What happens after Tony and Hank leave the restaurant? Where do they both end up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Hank's father and mother characterized in the Prologue? As the novel progresses, how does their relationship with Hank follow the same patterns as it did when he was a child?
Essay Topic 2
Hank seems to suppress anger during most the novel, but at times his anger and frustration do surface. Cite three examples of Hank's anger, and what transpires as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Tone refers to the attitude of the narrator of a work. As the narrator of "Straight Man", what is the author's tone at different stages of the book? Explain the tone, with examples:
1) In the Prologue of Book One.
2) When he grabs Finny the Goose by the neck and holds him up for the television camera.
3) When he catches his son-in-law with Meg Quigley.
4) In the Epilogue.
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)