|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hank hear someone say at the meeting he is suspended above?
(a) "What's that smell?"
(b) "This campus is full of crazies".
(c) "I think Hank should be fired."
(d) "I am pretty sure Hank killed the bird."
2. How does Hank react to the dean's suggestion about a career move for Hank?
(a) With astonishment.
(b) With puzzlement.
(c) With anger.
(d) With very little interest.
3. After Hank leaves his doctor's office, he almost runs his mother down. Who is she with?
(a) His father.
(b) A real estate agent.
(c) His daughter.
(d) A policeman.
4. In the Epilogue, what does Hank's wife tell them they have enough of?
(c) Spare time.
(d) Good family relationships.
5. How many books does Hank say his father had published by the time he left his family?
Short Answer Questions
1. After talking to his excited secretary, who appears at Hank's office door demanding to know if he killed the murdered bird?
2. What author was Hank's father teaching to his class when he finally figured out how to overcome his lecture affliction?
3. In the Epilogue, where do Hank and his wife like to sit and watch the neighborhood?
4. As Hank heads to campus after the call about the dead bird, he thinks about his father-in-law. What are his feelings about his father-in-law?
5. Who replaces Hank as chair of the English department?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Hank's father and mother, according to the Epilogue?
2. What does Hank notice as he leaves his mother in front of the Victorian house?
3. After Hank leaves his doctor's office, what are the series of events that ensue that involve his mother?
4. How did Devereaux Sr. attempt to cope with his problem?
5. After Hank's calls from Lou and Teddy, Hank heads to campus but stops at the diner first. Who does he meet there and what does this individual tell Hank?
6. What are Hank's Prologues to Book One and Two about, and where are they published? What is his mother's reaction to his writing?
7. In Chapter 31, what does Tony tell Hank about Yolanda Ackles?
8. What is Lily doing now? What project had Jacob Rose submitted that Lily and Hank got a grant for?
9. After Hank teaches his class and finds out that his student Leo is actually responsible for killing the birds on campus, Hank goes to see the dean, Jacob Rose. What does Jacob tell him? How does Hank react? What happens after this?
10. On Monday morning, Hank gets a call from Lou Steinmetz. What is Lou's job and what does he ask Hank about? Who calls Hank right after Lou? What does he tell Hank?
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)