|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the meeting that Hank can tell from the lights important to him?
(a) He wants to be at the vacation-time meeting to ask for time off.
(b) He might lose his position as interim chairman of the English department.
(c) He thinks the dean will tell the press negative things about him.
(d) He thinks he might be transferred to the Humanities department.
2. What is Hank surprised about, when he finally sees his father?
(a) That is father is in a wheelchair.
(b) How his father has aged.
(c) That his father cannot read anymore.
(d) That his parents are in love again.
3. After Hank gets out of the ceiling and cleans up, where does he go with his friend Tony?
(a) To Tony's place.
(b) To Philadelphia.
(c) To a restaurant.
(d) To a bar.
4. Who does Hank go to see, after he delivers Russell to his destination?
(a) His father-in-law.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His wife.
5. What have Hank and his wife taken to doing during his time off?
(a) Learning Italian.
(b) Playing with their grandson.
(c) Jogging together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hank realizes his son-in-law is having an affair. With whom?
2. In the Epilogue, Hank is on leave. What is this called for a professor?
3. Who does Hank sell one of the lots next to his house to?
4. Hank stops at a diner before reaching campus after the call about the dead bird. He runs into Mr. Purty. What does Mr. Purty have attached to his truck?
5. What does Mr. Purty tell Hank about his father that worries Hank?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hank gets to his office the morning the goose is found hanging in the tree,, what emotional state is his secretary in? Why is this?
2. Where does Hank go after he visits Paul Bourke's place? What happens there that upsets Hank?
3. What does Mr. Purty tell Hank about his father? What is Hank's reaction?
4. Hank goes back to his office after seeing his mother on the street. What happens to him there and what does he immediately do?
5. Why was Hank's father offered such a desirable position?
6. How did Hank's father finally solve his problem? How does Hank assess this?
7. Russell goes along to the party for Tony, and tries to get Tony's computer to work, without success. While this is going on, a large group of the professors get stuck in the room, and cannot seem to be able to figure out how to get out. What is Hank's observation on this?
8. After Hank's calls from Lou and Teddy, Hank heads to campus but stops at the diner first. Who does he meet there and what does this individual tell Hank?
9. What happened to Devereaux Sr. not long after arriving at his new post?
10. What are Hank's Prologues to Book One and Two about, and where are they published? What is his mother's reaction to his writing?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)