|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What situation at the end of the Epilogue makes Hank laugh at how academics can be?
(a) They have no idea how to handle money.
(b) Very narrow - they only know a lot about one thing.
(c) Very generous - everyone comes to help him.
(d) Not very practical - they cannot get out of a room.
2. In the Epilogue, where is Russell and who is with him?
(a) He is in Oregon with Meg.
(b) He is in Canada with his new girlfriend.
(c) He is in Atlanta with his wife.
(d) He is in Europe with his son.
3. Why does Hank have the reaction that he does to the dean's suggestion?
(a) Because he thinks the dean is insane.
(b) Because he hasn't heard a word the dean has said.
(c) Because he wants to study for a Ph. D.
(d) Because he is very ill.
4. In the Epilogue, which of the following is not something Hank says he is thankful for?
(a) His friends.
(b) His marriage.
(c) His health.
(d) His new relationship with his father.
5. Hank is covered in urine and knows he can't be seen in public. What makes him hide in his office ceiling?
(a) He hears voices outside in the hall.
(b) His secretary announces the dean has arrived.
(c) He wants to listen to the meeting next door.
(d) He knows he can get to the building exit without being seen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hank hear someone say at the meeting he is suspended above?
2. After he almost runs her down, what is his mother's reaction to what he has to say about Mr. Purty?
3. What is the person who called after the head of campus security, calling Hank about?
4. Hank realizes his son-in-law is having an affair. With whom?
5. What was the prologue, as Hank wrote it, in Book Two originally published as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the professors gather for a party for Tony? Why are they having a party for him?
2. When Hank finally goes to see his father in his new house in Railton, what is Hank's reaction? How does he react to what his father says about the writer Charles Dickens?
3. What deal did Hank's father accept after the "dog incident" that Hank related in his first article? According to his son, what made this a very attractive offer for William Henry Devereaux, Sr.?
4. After going to his own office and speaking to his secretary, Hank heads to the Dean's (Jacob Rose) office. What does Hank do there and what kind of response does he get?
5. Where does Hank go after he visits Paul Bourke's place? What happens there that upsets Hank?
6. What happens while Hank is up in the office building ceiling?
7. How does Hank sneak out of the building after his time in the ceiling? Who does he meet and what ensues?
8. What are Hank's Prologues to Book One and Two about, and where are they published? What is his mother's reaction to his writing?
9. What has happened to Hank's father and mother, according to the Epilogue?
10. After Hank teaches his class and finds out that his student Leo is actually responsible for killing the birds on campus, Hank goes to see the dean, Jacob Rose. What does Jacob tell him? How does Hank react? What happens after this?
This section contains 1,572 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)