|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Hank's doctor give to the health issue Hank had earlier in the novel?
(c) Hysterical prostate.
(d) A bladder infection.
2. What city does Russell tell Hank that he has been offered a job in?
3. What author was Hank's father teaching to his class when he finally figured out how to overcome his lecture affliction?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Jane Austen.
(c) Thomas Hardy.
(d) Charles Darwin.
4. In the Epilogue, where do Hank and his wife like to sit and watch the neighborhood?
(a) In their summerhouse.
(b) On their roof.
(c) On their deck.
(d) On their porch.
5. Why does Hank not go directly home the morning after his night in jail?
(a) He is afraid to face his wife.
(b) There are several police cars in his neighborhood.
(c) He has lost his keys.
(d) His car has been impounded.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Epilogue, what is the outcome for Hank's father-in-law?
2. What was the prologue, as Hank wrote it, in Book Two originally published as?
3. Who calls Hank right after the head of campus security calls?
4. What did Hank's father realize as he listened to his lecture being delivered by someone else?
5. When Hank returns to his office after talking to Mr. Purty and then Meg Quigley, why is his secretary upset but excited?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hank sneak out of the building after his time in the ceiling? Who does he meet and what ensues?
2. After Hank leaves his doctor's office, what are the series of events that ensue that involve his mother?
3. Where does Hank go after he visits Paul Bourke's place? What happens there that upsets Hank?
4. What deal did Hank's father accept after the "dog incident" that Hank related in his first article? According to his son, what made this a very attractive offer for William Henry Devereaux, Sr.?
5. What does Mr. Purty tell Hank about his father? What is Hank's reaction?
6. Why was Hank's father offered such a desirable position?
7. Hank heads to campus after Lou and Teddy's calls, and on his way passes his daughter Julie's house. He starts to think about his wife's call. What did she tell him about her father? How does Hank feel about his father-in-law?
8. When Hank gets to his office the morning the goose is found hanging in the tree,, what emotional state is his secretary in? Why is this?
9. What is the status of Hank and Lily's daughters? What are they doing?
10. What are Hank's Prologues to Book One and Two about, and where are they published? What is his mother's reaction to his writing?
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)