|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hank's colleague Teddy driving him home after a staff meeting in Chapter 1?
(a) Because his colleague Gracie let the air out of his tires.
(b) Because his colleague Gracie has his keys.
(c) Because his colleague Gracie injured him.
(d) Because his colleague Gracie stole his glasses.
2. How did Hank try to convince his parents to get a dog?
(a) He took care of his neighbor's dog every weekend.
(b) He got a dog house so he could keep the dog outside.
(c) He talked about dogs all the time.
(d) He threatened to run away.
3. After the news report with Hank airs at the bar, Hank goes to his racquetball partner's house with him and the reporter. What happens there?
(a) Hank's wife calls.
(b) The reporter falls asleep in the hot tub and Hank's friend takes photos of her.
(c) His friend passes out.
(d) His daughter shows up.
4. Before he visits with his mother, Hank visits with Mr. Purty. What does he give Hank?
(a) Three hundred dollars.
(b) A pair of gag glasses with a nose attached.
(c) An old set of rosary beads.
(d) Some very good advice about stocks.
5. What does Leo aspire to be?
(a) A writer.
(b) A professor.
(c) A millionaire.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the subdivision that Hank and his wife live in?
2. What did Hank's mother want him to do in exchange for allowing him to have a dog?
3. Hank decides he has to leave his racquetball partner's house and go home. What physical problem is Hank experiencing as he heads home?
4. Hank has a dog named Occam. What kind of dog is Occam?
5. What do Hank's parents do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hank say in the Prologue about his father's life after the arrival of the dog? What does he say about his relationship with his father?
2. In the Prologue, how does Hank explain that his life was not easy as a child?
3. What did Hank's mother make Hank promise to do if he got a dog? Why?
4. After visiting the duck pond, Hank heads to the cafeteria. Who does he meet there? What is Hank's history with this person? What do they talk about?
5. After Hank leaves Bodie Pie's office, what does he notice is happening again?
6. Hank goes to see Dickie Pope. Who is Pope and what nickname does the staff give to his office? What does Hank do in his office? What does Pope hint to Hank?
7. After meeting with his colleagues and before Hank leaves his office to go home, Hank looks around his office and reminisces about his stint as interim chair. What is his assessment?
8. The morning after Hank is hit in the nose at a staff meeting, he walks across campus and notices a construction site. What will this site be and what does Hank think about it?
9. When Hank gets back to his office, after meeting with Bodie, what does he tell his secretary? What does Rachel tell him and what does Hank do about this?
10. Who does Hank meet after he leaves his friend's house? What is his reaction to this?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)