|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he visits with his mother, Hank visits with Mr. Purty. What does he give Hank?
(a) An old set of rosary beads.
(b) Some very good advice about stocks.
(c) Three hundred dollars.
(d) A pair of gag glasses with a nose attached.
2. Why does Dickie Pope think Hank should do as he is advising?
(a) Because he is angry at the college administration.
(b) Because he himself will be fired if Hank does not do it.
(c) Because he thinks he is always right.
(d) Because if someone else does it, the results could be bad for Hank.
3. From his meeting with Dickie Pope, what does Hank find out is true?
(a) The college has to close down temporarily.
(b) Enrollment at the college is down.
(c) The English and Languages departments will be combined.
(d) Cuts of 20% must be made to each department.
4. How did Hank try to convince his parents to get a dog?
(a) He threatened to run away.
(b) He got a dog house so he could keep the dog outside.
(c) He talked about dogs all the time.
(d) He took care of his neighbor's dog every weekend.
5. What does Herbert Schonberg want Hank to do?
(a) Side with the teacher's union.
(b) Give a lecture in his journalism class.
(c) Visit him for some spiritual guidance.
(d) Side with the administration.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Campbell Wheemer ask Hank advice about?
2. After meeting Meg in the cafeteria, Hank has lunch in a bowling alley with Jacob Rose. Who is Jacob?
3. What does Hank's wife do for a living?
4. What does Hank buy, in anticipation of owning a dog?
5. When Hank is in his mother's basement, what kind of physical reaction does he have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator, Hank's, full name and what is his occupation? Where does he work?
2. The evening after Teddy drops Hank off at home, what does Hank decide to do? Where does he end up and what is the result of this?
3. Hank goes to see Dickie Pope. Who is Pope and what nickname does the staff give to his office? What does Hank do in his office? What does Pope hint to Hank?
4. Where is the second place Hank goes to the night of his television report? What happens there? What does Hank end up doing?
5. Hank's news item is aired on television and he becomes something of a local hero to his colleagues. What is the first place Hank goes to that night? What is bothering him?
6. The morning after his news debut, Hank realizes the film has been shown on Good Morning, America, much to everyone's amusement. Hank heads to see Campbell Wheemer. What is Hank's nickname for Wheemer? Why does he call him that? How is Wheemer a contrast to Hank?
7. What did Hank's mother make Hank promise to do if he got a dog? Why?
8. Who is Bodie Pie? What is the result of Hank's meeting with her?
9. After Hank leaves Bodie Pie's office, what does he notice is happening again?
10. After visiting with Mr. Purty and then his mother, Hank plays racquetball with another professor, Tony Coniglia. What happens after their game?
This section contains 1,469 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)