|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were William Henry Devereaux's colleagues at his new place of work confused about his inability to lecture?
(a) He was still publishing incredible articles.
(b) He could still talk to them in the halls and at social events.
(c) He could talk to the students if he turned his back.
(d) He had a reputation of being a great speaker.
2. Hank's father could not seem to get over his inability to deliver his lectures. Who did he turn the job over to?
(b) Jacob Rose.
(c) The head of the English department.
(d) His research assistant.
3. When Hank finally arrives home with his wife and father-in-law, what sad news does he learn?
(a) That his daughter has filed for divorce.
(b) That his father has died.
(c) That his dog Occam has died.
(d) That he has been fired.
4. When Hank returns to his office after talking to Mr. Purty and then Meg Quigley, why is his secretary upset but excited?
(a) She has been given a promotion.
(b) Hank's agent has told her she will get her stories published.
(c) She says she saw who killed the birds.
(d) She has been asked to be on "Good Morning America".
5. How does Hank react to the dean's suggestion about a career move for Hank?
(a) With astonishment.
(b) With puzzlement.
(c) With anger.
(d) With very little interest.
6. How does Hank try to get in touch with his son-in-law the morning after his night in jail?
(a) By phoning Russell's father in Pittsburgh.
(b) By driving to Russell's house.
(c) By email.
(d) By phoning the number Russell had given him.
7. What city does Russell tell Hank that he has been offered a job in?
8. As Hank leaves his mother outside the large Victorian house, what does he notice?
(a) Several police cars have pulled up.
(b) Gracie DuBois running toward him.
(c) The house is on fire.
(d) He has an acute pain in his side.
9. In the Epilogue, who has become the new dean of Railton College?
(a) Lou Steinmetz.
(b) Bodie Pie.
(c) Hank's father.
(d) Paul Bourke.
10. Who does Hank sell one of the lots next to his house to?
(a) His daughter and her boyfriend.
(b) His mother.
(c) Tony Coniglia.
(d) Jacob and Gracie.
11. What does Mr. Purty tell Hank about his father that worries Hank?
(a) That his father has had fits of crying.
(b) That his father has been having seizures.
(c) That his father is losing his hearing.
(d) That his father has Alzheimer's.
12. What does Hank hear someone say at the meeting he is suspended above?
(a) "I am pretty sure Hank killed the bird."
(b) "What's that smell?"
(c) "I think Hank should be fired."
(d) "This campus is full of crazies".
13. What is the name of Hank's doctor?
(a) Dr. Simpkins.
(b) Dr. Watson.
(c) Dr. Welby.
(d) Dr. Carter.
14. In the Epilogue, Hank's other daughter is pregnant. Who is the father?
(a) Campbell Wheemer.
(b) A young music professor.
(c) A plastic surgeon.
(d) The bass player in a rock band.
15. How does Hank compare the faculty cocktail party and the university classroom?
(a) They were both boring for his father.
(b) Both are necessary to visiting professors.
(c) That it is much more important to be able to speak at the cocktail party.
(d) Teaching is more important than socializing.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hank climbs down from the ceiling, what does he do?
2. What does Hank's doctor tell him about his urinary problem?
3. Who does Hank go to see, after he delivers Russell to his destination?
4. What did his father write on to help him remember his lecture?
5. After he almost runs her down, what is his mother's reaction to what he has to say about Mr. Purty?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)