|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After talking to his excited secretary, who appears at Hank's office door demanding to know if he killed the murdered bird?
(a) A television crew.
(b) The mayor of the town.
(c) Dickie Pope.
(d) The dean.
2. When Hank finally arrives home with his wife and father-in-law, what sad news does he learn?
(a) That his father has died.
(b) That his daughter has filed for divorce.
(c) That he has been fired.
(d) That his dog Occam has died.
3. What does Hank's doctor tell him about his urinary problem?
(a) That it is probably a kidney stone.
(b) That he needs surgery immediately.
(c) That he probably has a bladder infection.
(d) That it might be all in his head.
4. Where is Hank, when he wakes up to find his wife beside him and his father-in-law close by?
(a) At his daughter's house.
(b) In jail.
(c) In the hospital.
(d) At Tony's place.
5. Who comes into Hank's office when he is up in the ceiling?
(a) His wife.
(b) Meg Quigley and her father.
(c) His doctor.
(d) A newspaper reporter.
6. Hank stops at a diner before reaching campus after the call about the dead bird. He runs into Mr. Purty. What does Mr. Purty have attached to his truck?
(a) A dead deer.
(b) A blue tarp.
(c) A trailer.
(d) A U-Haul trailer.
7. Hank is covered in urine and knows he can't be seen in public. What makes him hide in his office ceiling?
(a) He wants to listen to the meeting next door.
(b) He knows he can get to the building exit without being seen.
(c) He hears voices outside in the hall.
(d) His secretary announces the dean has arrived.
8. After botching the first lecture, Hank's father was confident he could return to the classroom and lecture again. What was the name of the student that was last on the roll?
(a) Mrs. Wheelwright.
(b) Miss Ellsworth.
(c) Mrs. Wordsworth.
(d) Miss Wainwright.
9. At the end of Chapter 25, what does Hank find out about Jacob Rose and Gracie DuBois?
(a) That they have been plotting against him.
(b) That they are on the run from the law.
(c) That they are leaving the college.
(d) They are going to get married.
10. Why does Hank not go directly home the morning after his night in jail?
(a) He is afraid to face his wife.
(b) His car has been impounded.
(c) There are several police cars in his neighborhood.
(d) He has lost his keys.
11. Why does Hank have the reaction that he does to the dean's suggestion?
(a) Because he thinks the dean is insane.
(b) Because he is very ill.
(c) Because he hasn't heard a word the dean has said.
(d) Because he wants to study for a Ph. D.
12. What did his father notice about his lecture as he went out into the university hallway?
(a) That he remembered it, but it made no sense.
(b) It didn't help at all.
(c) He could remember it all.
(d) He could remember the beginning and end but not the middle.
13. What was the prologue, as Hank wrote it, in Book Two originally published as?
(a) An article in the campus newspaper.
(b) An entry in a blog.
(c) An obituary.
(d) Part of a memoir.
14. What method did Hank's father find worked for him, and he could finally resume lecturing?
(a) If he started outside the room and looked up at the back wall.
(b) He wore dark glasses to class.
(c) He stood at the back of the room so no one could see him.
(d) He recorded his lectures and wrote comments on the board.
15. Hank mentions in his article that his father had written about a television program for his book on pop culture. What television program did he write about?
(a) Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.
(b) The Price is Right.
(c) Sesame Street.
(d) The Brady Bunch.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hank climbs down from the ceiling, what does he do?
2. After Hank gets out of the ceiling and cleans up, where does he go with his friend Tony?
3. Why were William Henry Devereaux's colleagues at his new place of work confused about his inability to lecture?
4. Who calls Hank right after the head of campus security calls?
5. Hank goes to the dean's office after he has seen his father and taught his class. What career move does the dean suggest Hank make?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)