|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving his ceiling and his office, Hank finds his son-in-law, Russell. Where is Russell?
(a) Hitchhiking on the side of a campus road.
(b) Waiting in his car in the parking lot.
(c) In the dean's office.
(d) In the lobby of the English department.
2. After Hank leaves his doctor's office, he almost runs his mother down. Who is she with?
(a) A real estate agent.
(b) His father.
(c) His daughter.
(d) A policeman.
3. Hank describes his father as leaving the family. What is one reason he left the family?
(a) His wife was tired of him.
(b) He wanted more children and his wife did not.
(c) He felt he could do better work if he was alone.
(d) He was having an affair with a graduate student.
4. When Hank finally arrives home with his wife and father-in-law, what sad news does he learn?
(a) That his daughter has filed for divorce.
(b) That his father has died.
(c) That he has been fired.
(d) That his dog Occam has died.
5. What can Hank tell from from the lights in his hiding place in the ceiling?
(a) That there is a meeting about staff vacation time next door.
(b) Where the English department is meeting.
(c) That the Humanities department is meeting three rooms down.
(d) That the dean is meeting with the press in his office.
6. Why is the meeting that Hank can tell from the lights important to him?
(a) He wants to be at the vacation-time meeting to ask for time off.
(b) He thinks the dean will tell the press negative things about him.
(c) He might lose his position as interim chairman of the English department.
(d) He thinks he might be transferred to the Humanities department.
7. As Hank leaves his mother outside the large Victorian house, what does he notice?
(a) Several police cars have pulled up.
(b) Gracie DuBois running toward him.
(c) The house is on fire.
(d) He has an acute pain in his side.
8. What was one reason the university was happy to hire Devereaux Sr.?
(a) He was willing to work for a small salary.
(b) He had a very respected academic reputation.
(c) He had the best credentials of the candidates.
(d) He did not need a faculty house to live in.
9. In the Epilogue, where is Russell and who is with him?
(a) He is in Europe with his son.
(b) He is in Oregon with Meg.
(c) He is in Atlanta with his wife.
(d) He is in Canada with his new girlfriend.
10. What is Hank doing when he wets his pants?
(a) Using the photocopier.
(b) Having a nap.
(c) Talking on the phone to Meg Quigley.
(d) Marking assignments.
11. When Hank returns to his office after talking to Mr. Purty and then Meg Quigley, why is his secretary upset but excited?
(a) She has been given a promotion.
(b) She says she saw who killed the birds.
(c) She has been asked to be on "Good Morning America".
(d) Hank's agent has told her she will get her stories published.
12. What did his father write on to help him remember his lecture?
(a) Toilet paper from the men's room.
(b) A poster he ripped down from a bulletin board.
(c) His hand.
(d) A paper towel from the men's room.
13. After Hank gets out of the ceiling and cleans up, where does he go with his friend Tony?
(a) To a restaurant.
(b) To Tony's place.
(c) To a bar.
(d) To Philadelphia.
14. In the Epilogue, what does Hank's wife tell them they have enough of?
(a) Spare time.
(c) Good family relationships.
15. Why does Hank have the reaction that he does to the dean's suggestion?
(a) Because he wants to study for a Ph. D.
(b) Because he thinks the dean is insane.
(c) Because he hasn't heard a word the dean has said.
(d) Because he is very ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hank go to see, after he delivers Russell to his destination?
2. What situation at the end of the Epilogue makes Hank laugh at how academics can be?
3. What does Hank's doctor tell him about his urinary problem?
4. Hank's father could not seem to get over his inability to deliver his lectures. Who did he turn the job over to?
5. At the end of Chapter 25, what does Hank find out about Jacob Rose and Gracie DuBois?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)