|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After talking to the goose, and then to Leo, Hank heads for the cafeteria. He meets Meg there. Who is Meg the daughter of?
(a) Billy Quigley.
(b) Phineas Coomb.
(c) Campbell Wheemer.
(d) His father's second wife.
2. After the news report with Hank airs at the bar, Hank goes to his racquetball partner's house with him and the reporter. What happens there?
(a) His friend passes out.
(b) The reporter falls asleep in the hot tub and Hank's friend takes photos of her.
(c) His daughter shows up.
(d) Hank's wife calls.
3. After meeting with Dickie Pope, Hank goes to see Bodie Pie. What is her position at the college?
(a) Head of Fine Arts.
(b) Head of Women's Studies.
(c) Head of the French Department.
(d) Head of Social Sciences.
4. What is Gracie's last name?
5. What name did Hank give the dog?
6. What does Hank suggest to his daughter that they do about her situation?
(a) They should celebrate with a family party.
(b) She should come over to her parents' house.
(c) She should go to their family doctor.
(d) That she and her husband should go away for the weekend.
7. What is staff member Gracie upset about in Chapter 1 that leads to Hank's being driven home?
(a) Hank owes her money.
(b) He hints that he does not consider her a poet.
(c) He tells her she looks fat.
(d) Hank fires her.
8. What did the outcome of getting a dog make Hank realize about his father?
(a) That he was a kind man.
(b) That he was a very intelligent man.
(c) That his parents would never love each other.
(d) That he would never understand Hank.
9. Why does he think his father might have had this affliction?
(a) It was retribution for his womanizing.
(b) He drank too much.
(c) He never took care of his health.
(d) It was retribution for not being a good father.
10. On the way home from the college with Teddy, what does Hank notice by the side of the road?
(a) Teddy's wife.
(b) The site of a recent suicide.
(c) His mother walking alone.
(d) His wrecked car.
11. What is the name of the television news reporter who narrates the segment that Hank is in?
12. Bodie tells Hank that she is being informed by someone who should watch his back. Who is this individual?
(a) Teddy Barnes.
(b) Jacob Rose.
(c) Paul Bourke.
(d) Tony Coniglia.
13. When Hank is in his mother's basement, what kind of physical reaction does he have?
(a) He has a loud ringing in his ears.
(b) He sneezes several times.
(c) He feels dizzy.
(d) His nose begins to throb.
14. What is Hank's full name?
(a) Henry Williams.
(b) William Henry Devereaux, Jr.
(c) Henry William Devereaux, Sr.
(d) William Hank Baines.
15. What is it about Teddy that amuses Hank?
(a) He knows that Teddy is half in love with Hank's wife.
(b) He is wearing mismatched socks.
(c) He can never remember Hank's wife's name.
(d) He injures himself with his car door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breed was the dog that Hank's father brought home for him?
2. Hank goes to visit his mother after he has lunch with Jacob. His mother is worried about Mr. Purty. Who is he?
3. What did Hank's mother want him to do in exchange for allowing him to have a dog?
4. How did Hank's father get the dog?
5. What do Hank's parents do for a living?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)