|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hank's father become famous for?
(a) Winning a $100 million dollar lottery.
(b) Literary Theory.
(c) Exposing the Ashton Man as a fraud.
(d) Killing a policeman.
2. What does Hank suggest to his daughter that they do about her situation?
(a) She should come over to her parents' house.
(b) They should celebrate with a family party.
(c) She should go to their family doctor.
(d) That she and her husband should go away for the weekend.
3. Why does this new center on campus bother Hank?
(a) He believes its carbon footprint will be huge.
(b) He believes that it has political implications for the college.
(c) He believes the money spent on it should have gone into department funding.
(d) He believes it will attract the wrong sort of student.
4. Hank is visited at his house by Herbert Schonberg, Paul Rourke, and a third person. Who is this individual?
(a) Hank's mother.
(b) Hank's older daughter.
(c) Paul Rourke's first wife.
(d) Paul Rourke's second wife.
5. What does Hank buy, in anticipation of owning a dog?
(a) A fancy leash and collar.
(b) An expensive dog bed.
(c) A grooming brush.
(d) Several dog toys.
6. Hank decides he has to leave his racquetball partner's house and go home. What physical problem is Hank experiencing as he heads home?
(a) His nose starts to run.
(b) He has a throbbing headache.
(c) His ankle hurts.
(d) He is having trouble urinating.
7. As Hank watches the television crew, his hands tingle and he needs to urinate. What does he take these symptoms to mean?
(a) That he has diabetes.
(b) That his father is in the neighborhood.
(c) That he should throw his career aside and live in the woods.
(d) That he should start writing again.
8. What does Leo aspire to be?
(a) A millionaire.
(b) A professor.
(c) A writer.
(d) A doctor.
9. Before he visits with his mother, Hank visits with Mr. Purty. What does he give Hank?
(a) Three hundred dollars.
(b) A pair of gag glasses with a nose attached.
(c) Some very good advice about stocks.
(d) An old set of rosary beads.
10. After the news report with Hank airs at the bar, Hank goes to his racquetball partner's house with him and the reporter. What happens there?
(a) Hank's wife calls.
(b) The reporter falls asleep in the hot tub and Hank's friend takes photos of her.
(c) His friend passes out.
(d) His daughter shows up.
11. How did Hank try to convince his parents to get a dog?
(a) He got a dog house so he could keep the dog outside.
(b) He took care of his neighbor's dog every weekend.
(c) He talked about dogs all the time.
(d) He threatened to run away.
12. What does Hank grab and hold up, swearing that he will kill a duck every day until the Railton College departments get more funding?
(a) A tape recorder.
(b) A brick.
(c) A goose.
(d) A bible.
13. Hank has a dog named Occam. What kind of dog is Occam?
(a) A Golden Retriever.
(b) A white German Shepherd.
(c) A black Labrador Retriever.
(d) An Irish Setter.
14. In Chapter 6, Hank heads across campus to the cafeteria. What does he pass on his way there?
(a) The just completed Student Union Center.
(b) The excavated hole for the new Center for Technological Studies.
(c) The soon to open Alleghany Hills Shopping Center.
(d) The brand new Arts Center.
15. When Hank goes to deal with his daughter's issue, and sees her, what does he notice about her?
(a) She looks happier than she has in months.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is crying hysterically.
(d) She has a black eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herbert Schonberg want Hank to do?
2. How does Hank deal with the people who stop him on his way out of his office?
3. Why does he think his father might have had this affliction?
4. What is Rachel's position at the college?
5. In the Prologue, how old is Hank?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)