|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much was Jack's first pay raise at GE?
(a) $85 per month.
(b) $1,000 per year.
(c) $100 per month.
(d) $1,000 per month.
2. Which phrase sums up GE's core values and expectations during Jack's reign as CEO?
(a) What goes up, must come down.
(b) Finding a better way every day.
(c) Every cloud has a silver lining.
(d) Looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
3. What was the accepted business philosophy of the 1980s?
(a) If a business is profitable, sell while the stock shares are high.
(b) If a business is profitable, save money by laying off a few people.
(c) If a business is profitable, constantly find ways to make it more profitable.
(d) If a business is profitable, don't get out or change it.
4. What is Jack's business philosophy of the 1980s?
(a) For a business to be sustainable, it must have a long-range competitive solution.
(b) When a business is showing a loss, fix it on the surface and sell quickly.
(c) For a business to be profitable, it must have a margin of 90 percent or greater.
(d) Use the media to make your company look like it's doing better than it really is.
5. Why does Jack choose to build fitness centers in some facilities?
(a) He can cut employee health insurance plans.
(b) His employees are obese and need a workout.
(c) It is a place everyone can use and a place to exchange thoughts and ideas.
(d) He can get an insurance kickback.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which facility does Jack want to transform into a world-class center where ideas are spread in an open environment?
2. Why is Jack dissatisfied with his first raise?
3. Who is Jack's first professional mentor at GE?
4. What company does Jack try to buy to increase GE's exposure?
5. How does Jack resolve the complaint of the employees who have trained at the GE learning center?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jack's successor and where is he introduced?
2. Why does Jack promote selling the GE Housewares division?
3. How does e-business change the role of a GE salesperson?
4. How do GE employees view Jack's opinion about change?
5. As Jack reflects on his GE career, what qualities does he consider to be successful in business?
6. What is the accepted business philosophy of the 1980s?
7. What does Jack tell General Electric employees in his final farewell address to them?
8. Briefly discuss how globalization affects GE's development and American facilities.
9. How does GE get a head start on foreign investing in Japan and what Japanese investments made GE Capital a major player in the world of finance?
10. What are Jack's beliefs regarding self-confidence?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)