|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jack get frustrated with the plastics inventors?
(a) They don't understand entrepreneurship.
(b) They demand higher pay.
(c) All they think about his getting their products sold.
(d) They don't get excited about innovation.
2. How are GE's profits used in 1984?
(a) One-time bonus for all employees.
(b) Nice bonuses for upper level execs.
(c) Reinvested to improve the company's competitiveness.
(d) Raises for all employees.
3. Why was Jack appointed CEO of the company?
(a) The retiring CEO believes Jack is the one who can most effectively help the company change and grow.
(b) Jack was the retiring CEO's nephew.
(c) Everyone else was fired after the scandal. Jack was the only one with seniority.
(d) No one else wanted the job.
4. What, according to Jack, is GE's core competency?
5. What is the evaluation system that works well for several years, until employees find a way to "game" it?
(a) The 90-degree evaluation.
(b) The 360-degree evaluation.
(c) The 6-degrees of separation.
(d) The 180-degree evaluation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of employees does Jack want at GE?
2. What does Jack learn he must do in order to succeed at GE?
3. Which facility does Jack want to transform into a world-class center where ideas are spread in an open environment?
4. Which company originally started the concept of QMI?
5. In Chapter 13, when does GE deadline its goal to become a $100 billion company with $10 billion in profits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the management team that Jack builds for GE.
2. Why does Jack promote selling the GE Housewares division?
3. What does Jack learn about "academic pedigrees"?
4. What basic ideas does Jack say he hopes his book will communicate?
5. How do GE employees view Jack's opinion about change?
6. How does Jack's mother teach him the value of competition?
7. How does Jack's mother influence his management style?
8. Briefly outline the trade between GE and a French government-owned electronics company and its benefit to GE.
9. Explain Jack's idea of a "boundaryless" company.
10. What frustrates Jack about the scientists he deals with when he first goes to work for GE?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)