|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria say she becomes addicted to?
2. How do concert attendees help the von Trapps' charitable organization?
3. When Maria asks Mr. Schang why he won't represent the family, what does he say?
4. After the Trapp family gives a benefit concert to raise money for a school with a leaky roof, how does the school express gratitude?
5. After he dies, where is Georg buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the family name their Vermont home, and why?
2. How does the start of the war affect attendance to the von Trapp concerts?
3. When the family first visits Vermont, what is it about the state that they like?
4. As the family travels across the United States on their concert tours, what do they appreciate about the scenery? What do they dislike about the landscape?
5. In Chapter 13, what does Maria say about going to auctions?
6. When Mr. Schang reconsiders and agrees to take on the Trapp family if they supply $5,000 for publicity, how does the family acquire this money?
7. By their third American tour, what changes have the von Trapp family members made to their concerts to appeal to a wider audience?
8. As Maria explains that she and her family are no longer completely European but are not yet fully American, what does she say she appreciates, and what dismays her?
9. Why does Maria want to build a music camp near their home in Vermont?
10. In the last chapter, what does Maria attribute to her full recovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A deeply religious woman, Maria uses biblical examples often to support a point she's making or compare her own challenges with obstacles biblical figures faced. Supporting your answer with specific examples from the book, explain why Maria draws a comparison or connection between her situations, challenges, or thought processes and bible stories. How does Maria's faith help her get through life's challenges? Cite at least two examples.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze what the von Trapp family lost and gained by moving out of their native Austria. Overall, would you say they were better off or worse off in the United States? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning, Georg is opposed to his family performing in public, but later he relents and even goes on stage to introduce them. Write an analysis exploring what caused the patriarch to have a change of heart and support his family's singing career.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)