|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do concert attendees help the von Trapps' charitable organization?
2. After losing Georg, Maria states that "hundreds of people around you cannot" do what?
3. While their father is ill and getting worse, the children are:
4. When Maria talks about wanting to open a music camp, she describes her childhood "Sing Weeks," which were:
5. After their first performance of their third American tour, what does the manager tell the von Trapps?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the von Trapps buy their Vermont house, but before they actually move in, what do the older sons, Werner and Rupert, tell the family?
2. How does the start of the war affect attendance to the von Trapp concerts?
3. The family is concerned about an upcoming concert they are to give at Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, their first all-female concert. How does it turn out?
4. When Georg becomes very sick, what do doctors tell Maria?
5. In between their concert performances in America, the von Trapps' bank account balance dwindles to fifty dollars. What do they do to raise money and make ends meet until their next concert?
6. What do the Trapps do when they receive a letter from Austria describing the suffering of the people there after the war?
7. How does Maria feel the family is contributing to the war effort?
8. Where on their Vermont property does the family build a small chapel?
9. In Chapter 13, what does Maria say about going to auctions?
10. What is Maria surprised to find when she opens a copy of Life Magazine after the von Trapps have been in Vermont a while?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father Wasner is a minor yet significant character in the book, who essentially becomes part of the family.
1. Write an analysis of Father Wasner, describing who he is, how he joined the family, and what his role is in the Trapps' everyday life and singing career.
2. In what ways does his presence benefit the family? Do you think they could have advanced their singing careers without him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of the book, Maria describes how she became terribly ill and was near death, but then recovered. What factors contribute to her healing and recovery? How does faith play a role? What does Maria say about prayer and her recovery?
Essay Topic 3
The von Trapp family settles down in Vermont because they fall in love with the area.
1. What is it about Vermont that captivates them?
2. How do they go about turning Vermont into their new home?
3. What would you say defines "home" for the von Trapps?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)