|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maria returns to Salzburg after her kidney stone surgery, what does the family receive?
2. Who brings the presents at Christmas in Austria?
3. What does the performer Lotte Lehmann encourage the von Trapps to do?
4. When the mother of a famous harpsichordist tells the von Trapps they need publicity, what does the family do?
5. Who is the von Trapp children's Uncle Peter?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the von Trapp family goes on tour in Europe, who do they sing for?
2. On the ship bound for America, how does Maria learn English?
3. Describe the conversation between Maria and Princess Yvonne in Maria's room at the villa.
4. After the Nazis take over, what changes take place at the children's school?
5. When a Nazi official comes to the von Trapp family's villa and tells Georg to display a Nazi flag from the house, how does Georg respond?
6. Maria explains that Salzburg is built around what two prominent structures?
7. How does Maria feel about her family being regarded as "poor refugees?"
8. What happens after the Chancellor of Austria hears the family singing on the radio?
9. What happens to the family's clothes when they get their laundry done in New York at the rate of six cents a pound?
10. World War II breaks out on September, 1939, while the family is doing a tour in Europe. Where do they end up after the war starts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Life at the Von Trapp Villa undergoes a significant transformation when the newest governess, Maria, arrives.
1. Describe what life was like for the children and their father at their villa before Maria joins them.
2. Explain what new routines and activities they partake in after her arrival.
3. In your opinion, was the family better off before or after Maria came into their lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Captain and Maria come from very different backgrounds, he from a military career and she from a religious environment. Yet they are able to have a close, lasting relationship.
1. What significant differences are there between Maria and Georg? What similarities exist between the two?
2. Why do you think their marriage was successful despite their many differences? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Father Wasner is a minor yet significant character in the book, who essentially becomes part of the family.
1. Write an analysis of Father Wasner, describing who he is, how he joined the family, and what his role is in the Trapps' everyday life and singing career.
2. In what ways does his presence benefit the family? Do you think they could have advanced their singing careers without him? Why or why not?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)