|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who escapes Austria with the von Trapp family?
2. Where are the von Trapps when war breaks out in 1939?
3. When Maria meets the Captain, who is he about to become engaged to?
4. The clothes that Mrs. Drinker convinces Maria to buy for baby Johannes end up being:
5. In New York, where does the family attend church daily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maria feel uncomfortable when she first arrives at the Trapp Villa?
2. The children don't know what an Advent wreath is. How does Maria describe it to them?
3. When the mother of a famous harpsichordist advises the family that they need to get themselves a publicist, what do the von Trapps do?
4. Describe the conversation between Maria and Princess Yvonne in Maria's room at the villa.
5. World War II breaks out on September, 1939, while the family is doing a tour in Europe. Where do they end up after the war starts?
6. Describe the von Trapps' experience of being imprisoned at Ellis Island.
7. When the von Trapp family vacations with Georg's distant cousin Peter, what do they find odd about him?
8. How does Maria feel about her family being regarded as "poor refugees?"
9. What does Maria learn about the Captain from the mansion's head of staff, the Baroness?
10. After Georg loses his fortune, what adjustments does the family make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast life for the von Trapp family in Salzburg and in New York City. What are the drawbacks and the benefits of each place?
Essay Topic 2
Life at the Von Trapp Villa undergoes a significant transformation when the newest governess, Maria, arrives.
1. Describe what life was like for the children and their father at their villa before Maria joins them.
2. Explain what new routines and activities they partake in after her arrival.
3. In your opinion, was the family better off before or after Maria came into their lives? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Trapp Family Music Camp with a typical summer camp experience. Describe the common purpose that the Trapps' camp and other campgrounds share.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)