|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to the Captain and his children, who else lives at the villa when Maria arrives?
2. What happened to the Captain's first wife?
3. As Maria adjusts to life at the villa, what becomes her morning routine?
4. Where does the family sing in the mornings at their villa?
5. Maria's second baby is named:
Short Essay Questions
1. When the von Trapp family goes on tour in Europe, who do they sing for?
2. Describe the von Trapps' experience of being imprisoned at Ellis Island.
3. Maria explains that Salzburg is built around what two prominent structures?
4. After the Nazis take over, what changes take place at the children's school?
5. Why does Maria feel uncomfortable when she first arrives at the Trapp Villa?
6. When the family first arrives at the Hotel Wellington in New York City, what experiences do they have?
7. After Maria returns home from her kidney stone procedure, the family gets a long distance call. What information do they receive during this call?
8. After Johannes is born, the family's U.S. visitor visas expire and no extension is granted. Where do they end up?
9. When a Nazi official comes to the von Trapp family's villa and tells Georg to display a Nazi flag from the house, how does Georg respond?
10. Not long after Maria's daughter Leonore is born, Maria is hospitalized for kidney stones. What does Georg bring to keep her company while she recovers after surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Captain and Maria come from very different backgrounds, he from a military career and she from a religious environment. Yet they are able to have a close, lasting relationship.
1. What significant differences are there between Maria and Georg? What similarities exist between the two?
2. Why do you think their marriage was successful despite their many differences? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Maria and the children tap into resourcefulness to: a) improve their quality of life, b) get out of a negative situation, and c) create new opportunities for themselves. Use a different example for each case.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning, Georg is opposed to his family performing in public, but later he relents and even goes on stage to introduce them. Write an analysis exploring what caused the patriarch to have a change of heart and support his family's singing career.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)