|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the von Trapps end up back in America when the war breaks out?
2. When Maria becomes pregnant again and doctors want her to end the pregnancy because of her weak kidneys, what does Maria do?
3. When the family arrives in New York City, they are taken to which hotel?
4. At first, how does Georg feel about his children and wife performing on stage?
5. What does the family find amusing about Uncle Peter?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Little Maria tells Maria that she misses piano lessons, what does the governess do?
2. After the von Trapp family gets used to the routine of giving concerts, there is still one aspect of performing they dislike. What is it?
3. How does Father Wasner come into the von Trapps' lives?
4. Not long after Maria's daughter Leonore is born, Maria is hospitalized for kidney stones. What does Georg bring to keep her company while she recovers after surgery?
5. The children don't know what an Advent wreath is. How does Maria describe it to them?
6. When a famous performer, Lotte Lehmann, hears the family practice and encourages them to enter a singing contest, what happens?
7. What is the "American Farmer?"
8. When the family first arrives at the Hotel Wellington in New York City, what experiences do they have?
9. On the ship bound for America, how does Maria learn English?
10. What happens after the Chancellor of Austria hears the family singing on the radio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A deeply religious woman, Maria uses biblical examples often to support a point she's making or compare her own challenges with obstacles biblical figures faced. Supporting your answer with specific examples from the book, explain why Maria draws a comparison or connection between her situations, challenges, or thought processes and bible stories. How does Maria's faith help her get through life's challenges? Cite at least two examples.
Essay Topic 2
Maria expresses having both positive and negative experiences interacting with Americans.
1. Based on Maria's accounts and commentary, what do you feel she would like Americans to do differently?
2. What do you feel she would like Austrians to do differently, based on what she admires about Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, explain how the following traits and qualities help the von Trapp family thrive in new circumstances:
2. Thinking outside the box.
3. Family unity.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)