|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Cor Unum" mean?
(a) Seize the day.
(b) Heart of music.
(c) Together forever.
(d) One heart.
2. Maria says that after short weeks of practice:
(a) Anyone can make music.
(b) A musician needs a break.
(c) More practice is needed to reach perfection.
(d) Even a baby can play Mozart.
3. Who signs up for the Army?
(a) Mr. Drinker, the family's close friend.
(b) Mr. Warner, the family's former manager.
(c) Father Wasner, the family's choir director.
(d) Mr. Schang, the family's manager.
4. What is the purpose of the organization the Trapps form in 1947?
(a) Lobbying for Austria's freedom.
(b) Creating pen pal relationships between the U.S. and Austria.
(c) Bringing Austrian refugees to the United States.
(d) Helping the poor and displaced of all nationalities.
5. After Maria insists on another audition with Columbia Concerts, what happens?
(a) The family is invited to yet another audition.
(b) The executives walk out before the family finishes.
(c) The executives are more impressed the second time around.
(d) The family is escorted out and told to never return.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the von Trapps' all-female concert in Bethlehem, PA, turn out?
2. What does the family name their Vermont home?
3. In a letter to friends, what does Maria say she noticed while driving up the coast from Los Angeles to Seattle?
4. After he dies, where is Georg buried?
5. What does Maria say about traveling to concerts with children?
Short Essay Questions
1. In between their concert performances in America, the von Trapps' bank account balance dwindles to fifty dollars. What do they do to raise money and make ends meet until their next concert?
2. When Mr. Schang reconsiders and agrees to take on the Trapp family if they supply $5,000 for publicity, how does the family acquire this money?
3. During what Maria calls "the memorable year," what problems and issues do the von Trapps experience?
4. What monumental event happens during the von Trapps' summer camp season of 1945?
5. How does Maria feel the family is contributing to the war effort?
6. After the family auditions for manager F.C. Schang and he decides that he won't represent them, what reasons does he give Maria?
7. In Chapter 13, what does Maria say about going to auctions?
8. By their third American tour, what changes have the von Trapp family members made to their concerts to appeal to a wider audience?
9. How does the von Trapp family combine their concerts with their charity work?
10. Why do two officials from the War Production Board arrive at Vermont to talk to Maria?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)