|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In an effort to conserve gas and help the war effort, the von Trapps forgo traveling by car and instead travel by:
(a) Chartered bus.
(d) Tour bus.
2. After receiving an urgent letter in 1947, what organization does the von Trapp family form?
(a) Trapp Austrian-American Freedom Fighters.
(b) Trapp Family Austrian Relief.
(c) Friends of Austrian Displaced Peoples.
(d) Trapp Singers Ambassadors To Austria.
3. After they've paid off debts, what does the family purchase to help them travel to their concerts and, at the same time, save money?
(a) A Lincoln Continental and a Cadillac.
(b) A large tour bus.
(c) A limousine.
(d) A Chrysler Imperial and a Volvo.
4. When the family entertains troops at a former Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp turned Army camp, what do Georg and Maria realize?
(a) Soon it will be time to retire from show business.
(b) They much prefer singing outdoors than in stuffy theaters.
(c) Army soldiers are very appreciative of their musical abilities.
(d) The area is enchanting, and they could be happy living there.
5. How is Maria able to acquire most of the furniture for their newly bought property in Vermont?
(a) Singing her way into having the prices lowered for her.
(b) Shopping at garage sales.
(c) Buying pieces at a bargain at auctions.
(d) Going to antique stores.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family name their Vermont home?
2. In January of 1947, the von Trapp family receives an important letter from the:
3. What does "Cor Unum" mean?
4. When the von Trapps begin to work on their music camp, to what extent is their house finished?
5. What group has to give the von Trapp family permission before they can receive any building supplies for their home or their camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the family travels across the United States on their concert tours, what do they appreciate about the scenery? What do they dislike about the landscape?
2. After the family auditions for manager F.C. Schang and he decides that he won't represent them, what reasons does he give Maria?
3. Where on their Vermont property does the family build a small chapel?
4. After Georg dies, where is he buried?
5. What does the family name their Vermont home, and why?
6. Why does the family decide to buy a rundown farm in Vermont?
7. During a performance in Denver, the family discovers the "lacking ingredient" that their manager, Mr. Schang, had alluded to before. How is the discovery made, and what is the missing ingredient?
8. In between their concert performances in America, the von Trapps' bank account balance dwindles to fifty dollars. What do they do to raise money and make ends meet until their next concert?
9. In the last chapter, what does Maria attribute to her full recovery?
10. By their third American tour, what changes have the von Trapp family members made to their concerts to appeal to a wider audience?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)