|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the family detained at Ellis Island?
(a) They have no money.
(b) Maria answers a question incorrectly to an immigration officer.
(c) It's customary to detain all newcomers.
(d) The youngest child has the chicken pox.
2. Who is Harry Drinker?
(a) A manager for the family.
(b) A reporter who is enchanted by the family.
(c) A music fan the family befriends.
(d) A senator who helps the family with their papers.
3. Maria feels hurt whenever Americans call her and her family what?
(a) That Austrian family.
(b) Poor refugees.
(c) Singing oddities.
(d) A family with no home.
4. When the Captain first asks Maria how she likes his children, she replies that:
(a) Like all children, they are precious and cute.
(b) Time will tell whether or not they'll get along.
(c) They have beautiful eyes but look pale and serious.
(d) They look starved for attention.
5. After Maria gives birth to her second child, she needs surgery for kidney stones. How many stones are removed?
Short Answer Questions
1. On the ship bound from London to the United States, Maria learns English by:
2. At Macy's department store, what is Maria afraid of?
3. After leaving the U.S. when their visas are not extended, where do the von Trapps tour next?
4. What happened to the Captain's first wife?
5. Why does the family receive a phone call from a Salzburg radio station manager?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the von Trapp family goes on tour in Europe, who do they sing for?
2. Not long after Maria's daughter Leonore is born, Maria is hospitalized for kidney stones. What does Georg bring to keep her company while she recovers after surgery?
3. The children don't know what an Advent wreath is. How does Maria describe it to them?
4. What happens after the Chancellor of Austria hears the family singing on the radio?
5. After Maria returns home from her kidney stone procedure, the family gets a long distance call. What information do they receive during this call?
6. What does Maria learn about the Captain from the mansion's head of staff, the Baroness?
7. Describe the conversation between Maria and Princess Yvonne in Maria's room at the villa.
8. Maria explains that Salzburg is built around what two prominent structures?
9. When a famous performer, Lotte Lehmann, hears the family practice and encourages them to enter a singing contest, what happens?
10. After the von Trapp family gets used to the routine of giving concerts, there is still one aspect of performing they dislike. What is it?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)