|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After seeing Maria's baby clothes, what does Mrs. Drinker do?
(a) Gives her money to buy modern baby outfits.
(b) Takes Maria shopping for practical baby clothes.
(c) Lends Maria some of her baby's clothes.
(d) Hosts a baby shower for Maria.
2. How is Maria's third child delivered?
(a) At home with a midwife.
(b) At the hospital with a midwife and a young nurse.
(c) At home with a young doctor and a nurse.
(d) At the hospital with a team of doctors.
3. Who brings the presents at Christmas in Austria?
(a) Jesus with angels.
(b) Saint Nikolaus with angels.
(c) The family's guardian angels.
(d) Santa Claus with angels.
4. Why is the family detained at Ellis Island?
(a) They have no money.
(b) It's customary to detain all newcomers.
(c) Maria answers a question incorrectly to an immigration officer.
(d) The youngest child has the chicken pox.
5. What does the performer Lotte Lehmann encourage the von Trapps to do?
(a) Perform for a visiting dignitary.
(b) Perform in a singing festival.
(c) Sing at a benefit for orphans.
(d) Sing at her wedding reception.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, how does Georg feel about his children and wife performing on stage?
2. When the family is invited to perform at a diplomatic reception for dignitaries in Austria, what do they decide?
3. Where are the von Trapps when war breaks out in 1939?
4. What happens at the von Trapps' first singing concert?
5. During the summer music festivals in Salzburg, the von Trapp family:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between Maria and Princess Yvonne in Maria's room at the villa.
2. Not long after Maria's daughter Leonore is born, Maria is hospitalized for kidney stones. What does Georg bring to keep her company while she recovers after surgery?
3. Why does Maria feel uncomfortable when she first arrives at the Trapp Villa?
4. Instead of going to a New York City hospital, Maria wants her baby to be delivered by a midwife at home, as was the custom in Austria at the time. In the end, who delivers her son Johannes and what happens?
5. When a Nazi official comes to the von Trapp family's villa and tells Georg to display a Nazi flag from the house, how does Georg respond?
6. After the Nazis take over, what changes take place at the children's school?
7. After Johannes is born, the family's U.S. visitor visas expire and no extension is granted. Where do they end up?
8. When the von Trapp family vacations with Georg's distant cousin Peter, what do they find odd about him?
9. When a famous performer, Lotte Lehmann, hears the family practice and encourages them to enter a singing contest, what happens?
10. What does Maria learn about the Captain from the mansion's head of staff, the Baroness?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)