|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Captain returns to the villa unexpectedly from a trip and finds his family sitting on the floor singing, what does he do?
(a) Scolds the children.
(b) Laughs uncontrollably.
(c) Sits with them.
(d) Yells at Maria.
2. Who spends a lot of time helping Maria take care of baby Johannes?
3. What uniquely American things is the family introduced to on the ship bound for the United States?
(a) Popcorn, gum, and chocolate bars.
(b) Slang, sodas, and coin denominations.
(c) Hot dogs and hamburgers.
(d) Baseball and football.
4. What do the von Trapp family members do to pass the time while imprisoned at Ellis Island?
(b) Write letters.
(d) Make crafts.
5. When Georg buys twelve tickets for the Normandie, leaving on March 4th, where is the family going?
(a) Back to Austria.
(b) To stall for time at sea until their visa extension comes in.
(c) They don't know yet.
(d) To a refugee center in England.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1938, after the Chancellor resigns, what does the von Trapps' butler inform them?
2. What happened to the Captain's first wife?
3. After the Nazis start taking control of Austria under the pretense of being liberators, Maria:
4. While Maria is recovering from kidney stone surgery, she mischievously tricks a nurse, Sister Agrosia, into believing what?
5. When the family is invited to perform at a diplomatic reception for dignitaries in Austria, what do they decide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the Chancellor of Austria hears the family singing on the radio?
2. After the Nazis take over, what changes take place at the children's school?
3. What does Maria learn about the Captain from the mansion's head of staff, the Baroness?
4. After Georg loses his fortune, what adjustments does the family make?
5. How does the family help take care of the new baby after Johannes is born?
6. When a Nazi official comes to the von Trapp family's villa and tells Georg to display a Nazi flag from the house, how does Georg respond?
7. When a famous performer, Lotte Lehmann, hears the family practice and encourages them to enter a singing contest, what happens?
8. World War II breaks out on September, 1939, while the family is doing a tour in Europe. Where do they end up after the war starts?
9. How does Maria feel about her family being regarded as "poor refugees?"
10. What is the "American Farmer?"
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)