|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Nazis start taking control of Austria under the pretense of being liberators, Maria:
(a) Teaches the children to speak in a special code.
(b) Hides the family's most treasured possessions.
(c) Pretends to be sympathetic to the Nazi party.
(d) Trembles whenever the doorbell rings.
2. Where does the family sing in the mornings at their villa?
(a) In the courtyard.
(b) On the roof.
(c) Around the fireplace.
(d) In their chapel.
3. When Maria meets the Captain, who is he about to become engaged to?
(a) Princess Yvonne.
(b) Claire Franz.
(c) Baroness Matilde.
(d) Yolanda Ives.
4. Why does Maria feel it's all right for the family to sing on radio?
(a) She figures no harm can come if their music makes Austrians happy.
(b) It is an honor to sing on the same station that plays Bach and Mozart.
(c) Other local groups will be singing with them.
(d) They can sing anonymously.
5. When Maria returns to Salzburg after her kidney stone surgery, what does the family receive?
(a) An angry letter from a neighbor.
(b) A surprise visitor.
(c) A special delivery of chocolate truffles.
(d) A long distance phone call.
Short Answer Questions
1. As their first Christmas with Maria approaches, what do the children do while they sing?
2. Mrs. Drinker tells Maria she needs to deliver her baby at a hospital. What does Maria say?
3. Who is Father Wasner?
4. On the ship bound from London to the United States, Maria learns English by:
5. After each performance in America, the family has to:
Short Essay Questions
1. When a Nazi official comes to the von Trapp family's villa and tells Georg to display a Nazi flag from the house, how does Georg respond?
2. How does Maria feel about her family being regarded as "poor refugees?"
3. When a famous performer, Lotte Lehmann, hears the family practice and encourages them to enter a singing contest, what happens?
4. How does Father Wasner come into the von Trapps' lives?
5. After the Nazis take over, what changes take place at the children's school?
6. Maria explains that Salzburg is built around what two prominent structures?
7. When the von Trapp family vacations with Georg's distant cousin Peter, what do they find odd about him?
8. Why does Maria feel uncomfortable when she first arrives at the Trapp Villa?
9. After Maria returns home from her kidney stone procedure, the family gets a long distance call. What information do they receive during this call?
10. When the von Trapp family goes on tour in Europe, who do they sing for?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)