|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the family explores Vermont with real estate agents, what problem do they run into?
(a) Maria becomes sick with the flu.
(b) The youngest von Trapps become homesick for the city.
(c) The properties they can afford are too rundown.
(d) Much of the landscape is not as attractive as they initially thought.
2. Maria is impressed that Americans, in contrast to Europeans, are not embarrassed by what?
(a) Not knowing the answer to a question.
(b) Hugging in public.
(c) Manual labor.
(d) Laughing out loud.
3. After they've paid off debts, what does the family purchase to help them travel to their concerts and, at the same time, save money?
(a) A limousine.
(b) A large tour bus.
(c) A Lincoln Continental and a Cadillac.
(d) A Chrysler Imperial and a Volvo.
4. Among the natural beauty the family enjoys seeing while traveling across the United States, Maria cites:
(a) Death Valley.
(b) Mount Whitney.
(c) Niagara Falls.
(d) Crater Lake.
5. After nine days of taking recorder lessons, what do campers at the von Trapp music camp do?
(a) Take a break and learn to make crafts.
(b) Take a break and go hiking.
(c) Put on a little show.
(d) Move on to learning the flute.
6. Even though the von Trapps' Austrian house is returned to them after the war, why can't they live there?
(a) It had been used by the Nazis for awful purposes.
(b) Another family claimed it.
(c) Most of it was burned down.
(d) They are forbidden from stepping foot in Austria.
7. When first visiting Vermont, what does the family like about the state?
(a) The hard-working people and the thriving maple syrup industry.
(b) Its natural beauty, including swimming holes, woods, and pastures.
(c) The huge number of Austrians they find in Vermont.
(d) Its unique state government.
8. How does the von Trapps' all-female concert in Bethlehem, PA, turn out?
(a) It leads to a new contract and new manager.
(b) It is one of their most outstanding and memorable concerts.
(c) It is cut short because of a utility workers' strike.
(d) Reasonably well despite two of the singers forgetting some of the words.
9. What happens when Maria swallows a fly in mid-performance?
(a) She continues singing as if nothing happened.
(b) She tells the audience, and they laugh good-naturedly.
(c) She chokes on the fly and nearly passes out.
(d) She excuses herself and has a coughing fit backstage.
10. After the family performs the masterpiece by Palestrina, Maria says the few who attend are:
(a) Jumping with joy.
(b) Clapping politely but without enthusiasm.
(c) Bored of falling asleep.
(d) Deeply moved.
11. When the von Trapps begin to work on their music camp, to what extent is their house finished?
(a) One third.
(b) One half.
(c) Nearly done.
(d) Two thirds.
12. When Maria talks about wanting to open a music camp, she describes her childhood "Sing Weeks," which were:
(a) Music-learning get-togethers that lasted several days.
(b) Weeks when homework was put aside and class time was devoted to music.
(c) Competitions between neighboring school choirs.
(d) The weeks at the nunnery when local children came to learn music.
13. What does the family name their Vermont home?
(a) Musical Tavern.
(b) Cor Unum.
(c) E Pluribus Unum.
(d) Heavenly Lobby.
14. What does the ten-day music camp try to do for its campers?
(a) Create well-rounded, artistic individuals.
(b) Show that music is fun, not boring.
(c) Train future professional musicians.
(d) Acquaint guests with as much musical literature as possible.
15. What does Maria comment about the 107-concert tour in Part Two, Chapter 18?
(a) It's when she learned to be politically active.
(b) It was exhausting but fruitful.
(c) It represents the kindness of Americans.
(d) It was dubbed the International Friendship Tour.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Rosemarie disappears for several days, where is she found?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 13, Maria notes that she and the family are no longer a hundred percent European, but not what?
3. In January of 1947, the von Trapp family receives an important letter from the:
4. After Maria insists on another audition with Columbia Concerts, what happens?
5. Who dies in the middle of the von Trapps' Vermont remodeling project?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)