|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the von Trapps' sea voyage on their way to America after their escape from Austria?
(a) Five days.
(b) Eleven days.
(c) Two and a half weeks.
(d) One month.
2. Why does Father Wasner become a regular at the von Trapp villa?
(a) He has nowhere else to go.
(b) He realizes the family is serious about singing.
(c) He is invited to teach the children theology.
(d) He entertains the family with amusing stories.
3. What does the family find amusing about Uncle Peter?
(a) He does nothing without consulting a manual first.
(b) He's an inventor, but very few of his inventions work.
(c) He's afraid of holding babies, thinking they're too delicate.
(d) He wears a different style of shoe on each foot.
4. When the family is invited to perform at a diplomatic reception for dignitaries in Austria, what do they decide?
(a) It would be an honor.
(b) They're out of their league.
(c) They must sew new clothes for the occasion.
(d) They need to liven up their performance.
5. When Maria suggests the children wear play-suits, what does the Baroness say?
(a) The children should be studying, not playing.
(b) Play-suits are for peasants, not upper-class children.
(c) The Captain wants his children to be dressed neatly.
(d) The Captain has already ordered play-suits for all the children.
6. Mrs. Drinker tells Maria she needs to deliver her baby at a hospital. What does Maria say?
(a) Hospitals have too many sick people.
(b) She wants to know where the hospital is.
(c) She doesn't need any assistance if Georg helps.
(d) She'd rather have a midwife.
7. In New York, where does the family attend church daily?
(a) Saint Paul the Apostle Church.
(b) Saint Patrick's Cathedral.
(c) Saint James Cathedral.
(d) Saint Mark's Church.
8. What happens to concerts in Europe when war breaks out?
(a) They're moved to safer locations.
(b) The venues change to lift morale.
(c) They are cancelled.
(d) They go on as planned.
9. After the Salzburg music festivals are over, the children notice that Maria is no longer joining them in volleyball. What reason does she give for not participating in their games?
(a) She's sick.
(b) She's pregnant.
(c) She has arthritis.
(d) She's getting too old to play.
10. With Maria as their new mother, what do the von Trapp children learn every night?
(a) A new recipe.
(b) An Austrian fairytale.
(c) Another prayer.
(d) A new song.
11. Why does Maria feel it's all right for the family to sing on radio?
(a) They can sing anonymously.
(b) Other local groups will be singing with them.
(c) It is an honor to sing on the same station that plays Bach and Mozart.
(d) She figures no harm can come if their music makes Austrians happy.
12. At first, how does Georg feel about his children and wife performing on stage?
(a) He thinks it's demeaning.
(b) He feels they should get paid.
(c) He is excited for them.
(d) He doesn't know what to think.
13. After leaving the U.S. when their visas are not extended, where do the von Trapps tour next?
14. Who brings the presents at Christmas in Austria?
(a) Jesus with angels.
(b) Santa Claus with angels.
(c) Saint Nikolaus with angels.
(d) The family's guardian angels.
15. When Maria returns to Salzburg after her kidney stone surgery, what does the family receive?
(a) A special delivery of chocolate truffles.
(b) An angry letter from a neighbor.
(c) A surprise visitor.
(d) A long distance phone call.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the Captain's first wife?
2. How does Georg feel about his family performing at a diplomatic reception for dignitaries?
3. When Maria becomes pregnant again and doctors want her to end the pregnancy because of her weak kidneys, what does Maria do?
4. After the family sings at the Salzburg Festivals, which is the dream of every musician, what happens?
5. How is Maria's third child delivered?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)