|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The family escapes Austria by getting permission to go:
(a) Sing in London.
(b) Mountain climbing.
(d) Deliver packages to the poor.
2. Maria feels hurt whenever Americans call her and her family what?
(a) Poor refugees.
(b) A family with no home.
(c) That Austrian family.
(d) Singing oddities.
3. After the Salzburg music festivals are over, the children notice that Maria is no longer joining them in volleyball. What reason does she give for not participating in their games?
(a) She's pregnant.
(b) She's getting too old to play.
(c) She has arthritis.
(d) She's sick.
4. After Maria gives birth to her second child, she needs surgery for kidney stones. How many stones are removed?
5. What happens to concerts in Europe when war breaks out?
(a) They are cancelled.
(b) The venues change to lift morale.
(c) They go on as planned.
(d) They're moved to safer locations.
6. While her family goes sightseeing in New York, Maria stays in the hotel to:
(a) Cook dinner.
(b) Practice songs.
(c) Learn English.
(d) Knit baby clothes.
7. How long is the von Trapps' sea voyage on their way to America after their escape from Austria?
(a) One month.
(b) Five days.
(c) Two and a half weeks.
(d) Eleven days.
8. When the Captain first asks Maria how she likes his children, she replies that:
(a) They have beautiful eyes but look pale and serious.
(b) Like all children, they are precious and cute.
(c) Time will tell whether or not they'll get along.
(d) They look starved for attention.
9. When Maria gives birth to her first child, Rosemarie, this is Georg's:
(a) Seventh child.
(b) Twelfth child.
(c) Eighth child.
(d) Tenth child.
10. In New York, Maria discovers that shoes are shined where?
(a) At drugstores.
(b) Next to post offices.
(c) In department stores.
(d) In barbershops.
11. When the family loses their fortune in Austria, Maria says that she and the children are:
(a) Planning bake sales to earn money.
(b) Worried sick about their future.
(c) Not suffering over the loss.
(d) Eating less to make ends meet.
12. After the Nazis start taking control of Austria under the pretense of being liberators, Maria:
(a) Teaches the children to speak in a special code.
(b) Trembles whenever the doorbell rings.
(c) Pretends to be sympathetic to the Nazi party.
(d) Hides the family's most treasured possessions.
13. Why does Maria feel it's all right for the family to sing on radio?
(a) She figures no harm can come if their music makes Austrians happy.
(b) It is an honor to sing on the same station that plays Bach and Mozart.
(c) They can sing anonymously.
(d) Other local groups will be singing with them.
14. On the ship bound from London to the United States, Maria learns English by:
(a) Reading English novels.
(b) Having Americans name everything on the ship.
(c) Hiring an English tutor.
(d) Studying her Austrian-English dictionary.
15. Maria gets permission from the Archbishop to do what at their villa?
(a) House monks of the region's silent order.
(b) Create a library of religious tomes.
(c) Turn a room into a chapel.
(d) Turn a wing into a nunnery.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the summer music festivals in Salzburg, the von Trapp family:
2. At Macy's department store, what is Maria afraid of?
3. Why does the family receive a phone call from a Salzburg radio station manager?
4. How do the von Trapps end up back in America when the war breaks out?
5. When Princess Yvonne is about to visit the von Trapps, what does the Captain's daughter, Little Maria, ask?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)