|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Georg feel about his family performing at a diplomatic reception for dignitaries?
2. When the von Trapps are newcomers in New York, they eat most of their meals at:
(a) An Italian restaurant.
(b) An Irish pub.
(c) A Jewish deli.
(d) A Chinese cafeteria.
3. When Maria returns to Salzburg after her kidney stone surgery, what does the family receive?
(a) A special delivery of chocolate truffles.
(b) An angry letter from a neighbor.
(c) A surprise visitor.
(d) A long distance phone call.
4. How does Maria rate their first concert in the United States?
(b) Just right.
(c) Short and disorganized.
(d) Too long and serious.
5. While Maria is recovering from kidney stone surgery, she mischievously tricks a nurse, Sister Agrosia, into believing what?
(a) The baby chicks think Maria is their mother.
(b) The puppy's name is Georg.
(c) The turtle might eat newborns' toes.
(d) The kitten is a baby mountain lion from the wild.
6. In New York, Maria discovers that shoes are shined where?
(a) In barbershops.
(b) At drugstores.
(c) Next to post offices.
(d) In department stores.
7. What does the family find amusing about Uncle Peter?
(a) He does nothing without consulting a manual first.
(b) He's an inventor, but very few of his inventions work.
(c) He's afraid of holding babies, thinking they're too delicate.
(d) He wears a different style of shoe on each foot.
8. When a Nazi official comes to the von Trapp household, what does he tell Georg to do?
(a) Teach his children German.
(b) Display a Nazi flag.
(c) Donate funds to the German army.
(d) Renounce his loyalty to Austria.
9. When she first learns English, Maria spells words as she would in Austrian. For example, she spells "watch" as:
10. What does Georg give Maria to accompany her when she's recovering from kidney stone surgery?
(a) Three chicks and a turtle.
(b) A kitten and a puppy.
(c) A puppy and three chicks.
(d) A turtle and a kitten.
11. While her family goes sightseeing in New York, Maria stays in the hotel to:
(a) Cook dinner.
(b) Knit baby clothes.
(c) Learn English.
(d) Practice songs.
12. In addition to the Captain and his children, who else lives at the villa when Maria arrives?
(a) Cooks, maids, gardeners, auto mechanics, artists, and a groundskeeper.
(b) The Princess, baroness, music teacher, butler, and maids.
(c) The butler, baroness, cook, gardener, farm keeper, and various maids.
(d) The Princess, butler, cook, maids, and family priest.
13. After leaving the U.S. when their visas are not extended, where do the von Trapps tour next?
14. What happens after the von Trapps' visitor visas expire?
(a) They are given a two-month extension.
(b) They are arrested and forcibly departed.
(c) Their application is automatically resubmitted.
(d) Their visa extension request is rejected.
15. In New York, where does the family attend church daily?
(a) Saint Paul the Apostle Church.
(b) Saint James Cathedral.
(c) Saint Mark's Church.
(d) Saint Patrick's Cathedral.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Harry Drinker?
2. Father Wasner has vast knowledge of:
3. The family's first concert in the United States is where?
4. Maria feels hurt whenever Americans call her and her family what?
5. What do the von Trapp family members do to pass the time while imprisoned at Ellis Island?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)