|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Harry Drinker?
(a) A manager for the family.
(b) A music fan the family befriends.
(c) A reporter who is enchanted by the family.
(d) A senator who helps the family with their papers.
2. After the family sings at the Salzburg Festivals, which is the dream of every musician, what happens?
(a) The eldest girls receive numerous marriage proposals.
(b) They receive the coveted Vienna Music Award.
(c) They are offered contracts from managers from all over Europe.
(d) They are hired to sing Sundays at the Salzburg Cathedral.
3. When the von Trapps go on a camping trip with Uncle Peter and his family, how many pieces of luggage does Peter bring?
4. Why does Maria feel it's all right for the family to sing on radio?
(a) She figures no harm can come if their music makes Austrians happy.
(b) Other local groups will be singing with them.
(c) They can sing anonymously.
(d) It is an honor to sing on the same station that plays Bach and Mozart.
5. When Maria becomes pregnant again and doctors want her to end the pregnancy because of her weak kidneys, what does Maria do?
(a) Goes on fulltime bedrest.
(b) Ends the pregnancy.
(c) Takes strengthening herbs.
(d) Goes on a strict diet.
6. Before Maria arrives to teach at the von Trapp Villa, how many other teachers and governesses have come and gone?
7. After Maria gives birth to her second child, she needs surgery for kidney stones. How many stones are removed?
8. Who is Father Wasner?
(a) A professor of theology who gives mass at their local church.
(b) A close family relative who counsels them on spiritual matters.
(c) A young priest who helps the family advance musically.
(d) The priest who marries Georg and Maria.
9. Where are the von Trapps when war breaks out in 1939?
(a) South America.
(c) At sea.
(d) United States.
10. Who spends a lot of time helping Maria take care of baby Johannes?
11. After Georg loses his fortune in Austria, the family:
(a) Sells their jewelry and antiques collection.
(b) Fires the butler.
(c) Lets six servants go.
(d) Sells their expensive silverware and crystal.
12. When Mr. Wagner, the family's manager, finds out Maria is pregnant, he:
(a) Sends her flowers.
(b) Congratulates the family.
(c) Cancels the rest of the tour.
(d) Offers them a raise.
13. In addition to celebrating birthdays in their Austrian villa, what does the family celebrate?
(a) Feast Day of the saint each person is named after.
(b) Children's Day, the second Sunday of each month.
(c) Cuisine Day and a week of food festivals leading up to it.
(d) Honor Day in memory of their ancestors.
14. At Macy's department store, what is Maria afraid of?
(a) The headless mannequins.
(b) The staircase that moves by itself.
(c) The security guards.
(d) The perfume testers.
15. Where does the family sing in the mornings at their villa?
(a) In the courtyard.
(b) On the roof.
(c) Around the fireplace.
(d) In their chapel.
Short Answer Questions
1. In New York, Maria discovers that shoes are shined where?
2. What do the von Trapp family members do to pass the time while imprisoned at Ellis Island?
3. When the family is invited to perform at a diplomatic reception for dignitaries in Austria, what do they decide?
4. Why is the family detained at Ellis Island?
5. After leaving the U.S. when their visas are not extended, where do the von Trapps tour next?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)