|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maria's second baby is named:
2. What treasured baby clothes does Maria show Mrs. Drinker?
(a) Cashmere sweaters.
(b) Embroidered shirts and fancy gowns.
(c) Knit booties and crocheted hats.
(d) Baby bonnets.
3. After Maria gives birth to her second child, she needs surgery for kidney stones. How many stones are removed?
4. Father Wasner has vast knowledge of:
(a) Music theory and history.
(b) Ethics and morality.
(c) Overseas church missionary work.
(d) The rise of Christianity in Austria.
5. After the family sings at the Salzburg Festivals, which is the dream of every musician, what happens?
(a) The eldest girls receive numerous marriage proposals.
(b) They are hired to sing Sundays at the Salzburg Cathedral.
(c) They are offered contracts from managers from all over Europe.
(d) They receive the coveted Vienna Music Award.
6. When a Nazi official comes to the von Trapp household, what does he tell Georg to do?
(a) Display a Nazi flag.
(b) Renounce his loyalty to Austria.
(c) Teach his children German.
(d) Donate funds to the German army.
7. Why is the family detained at Ellis Island?
(a) Maria answers a question incorrectly to an immigration officer.
(b) It's customary to detain all newcomers.
(c) They have no money.
(d) The youngest child has the chicken pox.
8. What do Quakers from the Society of Friends give the Trapp family to help them out?
(a) Books, school supplies, and linens.
(b) Clothing, food, and soap.
(c) Furniture, curtains, and towels.
(d) Silverware, blankets, and beds.
9. How long is the von Trapps' sea voyage on their way to America after their escape from Austria?
(a) One month.
(b) Eleven days.
(c) Two and a half weeks.
(d) Five days.
10. What does the family find amusing about Uncle Peter?
(a) He wears a different style of shoe on each foot.
(b) He's afraid of holding babies, thinking they're too delicate.
(c) He does nothing without consulting a manual first.
(d) He's an inventor, but very few of his inventions work.
11. When the Captain first asks Maria how she likes his children, she replies that:
(a) They look starved for attention.
(b) Time will tell whether or not they'll get along.
(c) They have beautiful eyes but look pale and serious.
(d) Like all children, they are precious and cute.
12. When Georg buys twelve tickets for the Normandie, leaving on March 4th, where is the family going?
(a) To a refugee center in England.
(b) Back to Austria.
(c) They don't know yet.
(d) To stall for time at sea until their visa extension comes in.
13. When the Nazi party replaces teachers at the children's school, students are taught that:
(a) Parents are too old-fashioned to understand the party.
(b) The new teachers are smarter and more compassionate than the previous ones.
(c) The previous teachers were traitors.
(d) They must teach their parents what they learn in school.
14. When Mr. Wagner, the family's manager, finds out Maria is pregnant, he:
(a) Sends her flowers.
(b) Offers them a raise.
(c) Congratulates the family.
(d) Cancels the rest of the tour.
15. At first, how does Georg feel about his children and wife performing on stage?
(a) He doesn't know what to think.
(b) He feels they should get paid.
(c) He thinks it's demeaning.
(d) He is excited for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hears the Trapp family singing on a radio program?
2. What happens after the von Trapps' visitor visas expire?
3. When the von Trapps are newcomers in New York, they eat most of their meals at:
4. When the von Trapps go on a camping trip with Uncle Peter and his family, how many pieces of luggage does Peter bring?
5. Why does Maria feel it's all right for the family to sing on radio?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)