|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator compare the peeled bull testicles to?
2. What is Simone's favorite part of a bullfight?
3. What does the author note is the true meaning of terror?
4. What does the narrator note causes the two later in life to interrogate one another with their eyes?
5. How does the couple get Marcelle's attention?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator claim he does not care for "normal" pleasures, and why even dirty pleasures have become unsatisfying?
2. What does Marcelle seem to fear most at the end of Chapter 7, and what does the narrator realize this fear relates to?
3. Discuss Simone's episode with the raw bull testicle. Include what happens when she first receives it, and the end result.
4. Describe the sexual fantasy of Simone and the narrator about Marcelle in Chapter 6.
5. Based on the narrator's claims at the end of Chapter 6, what does the episode with eggs indicate about the future of the characters?
6. Describe the scene in the pigsty in Chapter 9, and explain its significance.
7. What does the confusion between the cardinal and the narrator on the part of Marcelle seem to show?
8. What does the narrator believe is the goal of his own lack of moral discipline?
9. Why does the narrator claim the universe seems decent to some, and why they fear lewdness?
10. Describe the narrator's thoughts about Marcelle as the couple rides home from the sanitarium in Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of the narrator and Sir Edmond. What are their similarities? What are their differences? What are the differences in terms of their relationship with Simone? How does each character change throughout the novel? What is the motive behind their actions and behaviors? Why does each continue to associate with Simone?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, the narrator notes the curiosity that black-haired Simone wears a black garter belt and stockings, whereas blond Marcelle wears a white belt and stockings. This comparison, however, does far deeper than hair color and clothing choice. What is the author noting about the characters in this passage? Using the rest of the story, does this comparison hold true throughout the novel? Why or why not? What else can this comparison of light and darkness be used to represent? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Obsessions are a common theme used throughout the novel. Choose two obsessions focused on in the novel, and explain them in detail. What are the obsessions? Who has them? How do they develop? What is their root cause? What do the characters do to satisfy their obsessions? Do their efforts work? Why or why not?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)