|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marcelle die?
2. What does the narrator note Marcelle has become?
3. What does the narrator note causes the two later in life to interrogate one another with their eyes?
4. What does Simone do with the first bull testicle?
5. What does the couple plan to do concerning Marcelle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens to Simone as she attempts to masturbate on the bicycle, and the narrator's initial reaction.
2. Describe the scene in the pigsty in Chapter 9, and explain its significance.
3. What does Marcelle seem to fear most at the end of Chapter 7, and what does the narrator realize this fear relates to?
4. Why does the narrator claim the universe seems decent to some, and why they fear lewdness?
5. Discuss Simone's episode with the raw bull testicle. Include what happens when she first receives it, and the end result.
6. Describe what Simone begins enjoying doing with eggs at the beginning of Chapter 6.
7. What does the narrator believe is the goal of his own lack of moral discipline?
8. Explain how Simone and the narrator travel to Spain undetected.
9. What tradition does Sir Edmond tell Simone of, and what is her response?
10. Explain why Simone and the narrator do not speak of eggs, or of any other portion of their unusual sexual relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There appear to be several references to religion in the novel, in terms of the teenagers and their complete lack of respect for anything bearing a religious meaning. Choose one reference that is anti religious in the story, and explain why you believe it was used in the novel. Some examples might be the forcing of the priest to urinate in the chalice, the narrator's note that the alter was a sensual place perfect for sex, the urination by Simone on the tomb of Don Juan, and any other reference. What statement did your choice make in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
There are several references to eyes in the novel. List each reference you can think of, and discuss its use in the novel. What was the reference? How was it used? Did it have any special meaning? Why? What was the reference relating to?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Simone and Marcelle. What are their similarities? What are their differences? Why does each character change as they do throughout the novel? What are the motivations for their behaviors? What causes them to go insane? Who is responsible for their downward spirals? Why?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)