|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does the narrator associate the moon?
2. What does Simone do following her violent spasms?
3. What does Simone do following her climax?
4. How does Marcelle die?
5. How is Granero.killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the change in Simone following the death of Marcelle.
2. In Chapter 6, the author purposefully italicizes the words "wide eyes" and "white eggs". What is the significance of this?
3. Why does the narrator claim he does not care for "normal" pleasures, and why even dirty pleasures have become unsatisfying?
4. Why does the narrator claim he believes Simone urinates on the corpse of Marcelle?
5. What happens to Marcelle in Chapter 8, and why?
6. What does Marcelle seem to fear most at the end of Chapter 7, and what does the narrator realize this fear relates to?
7. Explain how the death of Granero occurs, and the result of his death in terms of his eye.
8. Describe the scene in the pigsty in Chapter 9, and explain its significance.
9. Describe what Simone begins enjoying doing with eggs at the beginning of Chapter 6.
10. Why does the narrator claim the universe seems decent to some, and why they fear lewdness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following topics to discuss:
1.) Many have criticized the novel as being pornographic without a cause. What do you think the ending moral of the story is? Do you believe the author had a purpose in writing the novel? If so, what was it? If not, why did he write the novel?
2.) There are several graphical scenes in the novel that use harsh, if not crude, words. Do you believe the author could have achieved his goals in writing the novel without such harsh language? Why or why not? What is the purpose of such language within the context of the book? Does it serve a purpose? If so, what is it? If not, why was it used?
3.) There are several references to very unusual sexual acts within the novel. Do you feel these references were necessarily graphic? Why or why not? Did these graphic depictions serve a purpose in the novel? If so, what was it? If not, why was the author so graphic in his depictions?
Essay Topic 2
Obsessions are a common theme used throughout the novel. Choose two obsessions focused on in the novel, and explain them in detail. What are the obsessions? Who has them? How do they develop? What is their root cause? What do the characters do to satisfy their obsessions? Do their efforts work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the parents of the children are brought up in terms of their inability to deal with the clear sexual nature of the relationship of their children, or their clear desire to avoid scandal. Explain the reaction of Simone's mother in the novel. What was her response to the sexual relationship? What did she do? Isa she at least partly responsible for the end result of the novel? Why or why not? Should the narrator's parents have sought him out, even after his threatening note? Why or why not? Why did they not do so? Were they partly to blame for the deaths of Marcelle and the priest? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)