|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator run from the building?
2. What does the couple do in reaction to being caught in Chapter 2?
3. What does the narrator note is a bizarre feeling as he runs?
4. What is served at the event in Chapter 2?
5. What does the narrator note about the colors of the girls' stockings?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the violence of the thunderstorm linked to the violence of the actions of Simone and the narrator in Chapter 1?
2. What contrasting image does the author give between Simone and Marcelle at the end of Chapter 4? What else could this comparison represent?
3. Explain the mother's first encounter with the couple in their actions, and her reaction, as well as their reaction to the mother.
4. Explain what the narrator does after fleeing the orgy and before seeking Simone.
5. Explain what Simone does with the saucer of milk in the first chapter.
6. Explain what happens to Marcelle in Chapter 1.
7. How does the narrator equate sex and violence?
8. What does the narrator explain causes his and Simone's sexual dream to turn in to a nightmare?
9. What does Simone develop an urge to do with eggs at the beginning of Chapter 2?
10. What is Simone wearing when the narrator and she first have a sexual experience at the villa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Obsessions are a common theme used throughout the novel. Choose two obsessions focused on in the novel, and explain them in detail. What are the obsessions? Who has them? How do they develop? What is their root cause? What do the characters do to satisfy their obsessions? Do their efforts work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator notes in the novel that people fear lewd behaviors because they have a secret desire to participate in them. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not? Does this statement explain the behaviors of the characters in the novel? Why or why not? If so, why are they willing to give in to such behaviors when other are not? If not, what is the real reason behind their activities?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the parents of the children are brought up in terms of their inability to deal with the clear sexual nature of the relationship of their children, or their clear desire to avoid scandal. Explain the reaction of Simone's mother in the novel. What was her response to the sexual relationship? What did she do? Isa she at least partly responsible for the end result of the novel? Why or why not? Should the narrator's parents have sought him out, even after his threatening note? Why or why not? Why did they not do so? Were they partly to blame for the deaths of Marcelle and the priest? Why or why not?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)