|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simone smear herself with at the end of Chapter 1?
2. Why are the servants loyal to Simone?
3. What does the narrator blame for he and Simone's actions?
4. Who does Simone state she will only "do it" with?
5. Who catches the couple in the parlor in the beginning of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator avoid police capture in Chapter 3 and how is this possible?
2. What does Simone develop an urge to do with eggs at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. How do the parents find out about the orgy, and what do the parents do when they discover what has occurred?
4. Explain what the narrator does after fleeing the orgy and before seeking Simone.
5. Explain what Marcelle does during the orgy, and once the narrator lets her go.
6. Explain how the orgy in Chapter 2 takes place.
7. How is the violence of the thunderstorm linked to the violence of the actions of Simone and the narrator in Chapter 1?
8. How does the narrator explain Marcelle's features as she gazes at the ocean?
9. Explain the narrator's trip through the sanitarium.
10. Explain what happens to Marcelle in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, there are several references to both the eye and the egg, and both seem to be related by the end of the novel. Discuss ways in which the eye and the egg are used in the novel to convey thoughts and concepts. Be sure to examine specific instances in detail. What are similarities? What are differences? What are different ways in which these items are associated? How are they used in the novel? What do they represent?
Essay Topic 2
The ending description of the dead priest's eye, appearing as Marcelle's eye, looking out at the narrator from between the thighs of Simone, covered in urine and ejaculation fluid, is a highly visual representation of several key points in the novel. Discuss each of these in detail. What is the symbolism of the entire image? What does it represent? Why does the narrator see the eye of Marcelle? What does he equate the urine and ejaculation fluid to? What does it symbolize in terms of the themes within the novel? What moment in the novel does each represent independently?
Essay Topic 3
Sir Edmond is introduced as an additional character in the middle of the novel. His appearance lends an additional level of lewdness and insanity to the novel. Explain Sir Edmond's character in terms of his presence in the novel. What does his character lend to the storyline? What does his appearance do to the other characters? What is his role in the storyline? How does he serve to further the decline of the young couple?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)