|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the couple invite Marcelle to?
2. What does Marcelle do when she sees the couple?
3. What does the couple see when they look up at Marcelle's window?
4. What effect does the startling event at the beginning of Chapter 4 have on Simone?
5. What does Marcelle do when she returns to the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator avoid police capture in Chapter 3 and how is this possible?
2. What contrasting image does the author give between Simone and Marcelle at the end of Chapter 4? What else could this comparison represent?
3. Explain the mother's first encounter with the couple in their actions, and her reaction, as well as their reaction to the mother.
4. Describe the first meeting in Chapter 3 between Simone and the narrator following the orgy.
5. How do the parents find out about the orgy, and what do the parents do when they discover what has occurred?
6. How does the narrator explain Marcelle's features as she gazes at the ocean?
7. What is Simone wearing when the narrator and she first have a sexual experience at the villa?
8. What happens when the narrator finds Simone, and what is the accidental result that rises Marcelle from her room?
9. Explain why, despite being modest, Simone and the narrator have the relationship they have?
10. Explain what Simone does with the saucer of milk in the first chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, the narrator notes the curiosity that black-haired Simone wears a black garter belt and stockings, whereas blond Marcelle wears a white belt and stockings. This comparison, however, does far deeper than hair color and clothing choice. What is the author noting about the characters in this passage? Using the rest of the story, does this comparison hold true throughout the novel? Why or why not? What else can this comparison of light and darkness be used to represent? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, there are several references to both the eye and the egg, and both seem to be related by the end of the novel. Discuss ways in which the eye and the egg are used in the novel to convey thoughts and concepts. Be sure to examine specific instances in detail. What are similarities? What are differences? What are different ways in which these items are associated? How are they used in the novel? What do they represent?
Essay Topic 3
There is a theme used throughout the novel of the point at which things meet, such as the fine point between life and death, as experienced by the priest as he orgasms at the moment of death. What are other topics that are explored in this same way? How is this line used in the novel? What is the goal of the author in exploring these lines?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)