|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the couple go at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. What does Simone do with these objects?
3. What does the narrator note he is frightened of?
4. What does the narrator dare Simone to do in Chapter 1?
5. What does the couple do in reaction to being caught in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Simone does with the saucer of milk in the first chapter.
2. Explain what the narrator does after fleeing the orgy and before seeking Simone.
3. What does the narrator explain causes his and Simone's sexual dream to turn in to a nightmare?
4. Explain what happens to Marcelle in Chapter 1.
5. Describe the first meeting in Chapter 3 between Simone and the narrator following the orgy.
6. Explain what the narrator thinks as he chases down the unknown naked woman, and the reality of who the woman is.
7. What does Simone develop an urge to do with eggs at the beginning of Chapter 2?
8. What contrasting image does the author give between Simone and Marcelle at the end of Chapter 4? What else could this comparison represent?
9. How does the narrator avoid police capture in Chapter 3 and how is this possible?
10. How do the parents find out about the orgy, and what do the parents do when they discover what has occurred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel begins with the discovery of unusual sexual practices by two teenagers, and ends with the murder and mutilation of a priest for sexual gratification. Discuss, in detail, the journey of Simone and the narrator, and discuss the events which led to their downward spiral into murder. Be sure to include the involvement of parents, other associates, and the activities participated in.
Essay Topic 2
There is a theme used throughout the novel of the point at which things meet, such as the fine point between life and death, as experienced by the priest as he orgasms at the moment of death. What are other topics that are explored in this same way? How is this line used in the novel? What is the goal of the author in exploring these lines?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following topics to discuss:
1.) Many have criticized the novel as being pornographic without a cause. What do you think the ending moral of the story is? Do you believe the author had a purpose in writing the novel? If so, what was it? If not, why did he write the novel?
2.) There are several graphical scenes in the novel that use harsh, if not crude, words. Do you believe the author could have achieved his goals in writing the novel without such harsh language? Why or why not? What is the purpose of such language within the context of the book? Does it serve a purpose? If so, what is it? If not, why was it used?
3.) There are several references to very unusual sexual acts within the novel. Do you feel these references were necessarily graphic? Why or why not? Did these graphic depictions serve a purpose in the novel? If so, what was it? If not, why was the author so graphic in his depictions?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)