|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is supposed to dine with the trio following the bull fight?
(b) La Driesto.
(d) La Rosa.
2. What does the author note is the true meaning of terror?
(a) That it expresses inner anger.
(b) That it expresses inner sorrow.
(c) That it expresses a violent desire.
(d) That it expresses a deep seeded aversion.
3. What stories does the narrator read aloud to Simone?
(a) Stories of disease.
(b) Stories of wealth.
(c) Stories of crime and violence.
(d) Love stories.
4. What does the narrator compare the peeled bull testicles to?
(a) The white of a cloud in the sky.
(b) The globe of an eye.
(c) A human testicle.
(d) A hard boiled egg.
5. What does the narrator note is associated in his mind with urine?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the couple get Marcelle's attention?
2. What does the couple fear will overtake Marcelle?
3. How does Marcelle die?
4. What is one of the causes for the trio's irritation at the bullfight?
5. How is Granero.killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the death of Granero occurs, and the result of his death in terms of his eye.
2. What does the narrator believe is the goal of his own lack of moral discipline?
3. Explain the change in Simone following the death of Marcelle.
4. Why does the narrator claim the universe seems decent to some, and why they fear lewdness?
5. What does Marcelle seem to fear most at the end of Chapter 7, and what does the narrator realize this fear relates to?
6. Why does the narrator claim he believes Simone urinates on the corpse of Marcelle?
7. What tradition does Sir Edmond tell Simone of, and what is her response?
8. Explain the author's comparison between his own life and the crow of a rooster.
9. Why does the narrator claim he does not care for "normal" pleasures, and why even dirty pleasures have become unsatisfying?
10. In Chapter 6, the author purposefully italicizes the words "wide eyes" and "white eggs". What is the significance of this?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)