|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stories does the narrator read aloud to Simone?
(a) Love stories.
(b) Stories of crime and violence.
(c) Stories of disease.
(d) Stories of wealth.
2. What is the couple forced to do to leave the area?
(a) Ride their bicycles naked.
(b) Hide in a train car.
(c) Steal clothing.
(d) Walk home.
3. With what does the narrator associate the moon?
(b) Vaginal blood.
4. What does Marcelle say to the narrator that first indicates she is mentally unwell?
(a) She tells him she is Simone.
(b) She notes she is at home.
(c) She notes she is in a castle.
(d) She notes they can now get married.
5. What does the narrator compare the peeled bull testicles to?
(a) A hard boiled egg.
(b) The globe of an eye.
(c) A human testicle.
(d) The white of a cloud in the sky.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the couple fear will overtake Marcelle?
2. What does Sir Edmond do with the blond mannequin?
3. What does Sir Edmond tell Simone is a vile tradition of bullfighting?
4. What do the narrator and Simone do next to the corpse?
5. What does the narrator admit he cares for in terms of sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcelle seem to fear most at the end of Chapter 7, and what does the narrator realize this fear relates to?
2. Explain why Simone and the narrator do not speak of eggs, or of any other portion of their unusual sexual relationship.
3. What happens to Marcelle in Chapter 8, and why?
4. Describe the sexual fantasy of Simone and the narrator about Marcelle in Chapter 6.
5. What does the narrator believe is the goal of his own lack of moral discipline?
6. Why does the narrator claim he does not care for "normal" pleasures, and why even dirty pleasures have become unsatisfying?
7. In Chapter 6, the author purposefully italicizes the words "wide eyes" and "white eggs". What is the significance of this?
8. What tradition does Sir Edmond tell Simone of, and what is her response?
9. Discuss Simone's episode with the raw bull testicle. Include what happens when she first receives it, and the end result.
10. Explain how the author notes the change in Marcelle as he describes her actions when Simone and the narrator are freeing her from the sanitarium.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)