|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator believe will happen if he and Simone die?
(a) They will not be mourned.
(c) They will be mourned.
(d) Their imaginary world will fill with stars.
2. How does the couple get Marcelle's attention?
(a) They call her on the phone.
(b) They knock on her door.
(c) They yell for her.
(d) They throw pebbles.
3. What does the narrator compare the peeled bull testicles to?
(a) A human testicle.
(b) The white of a cloud in the sky.
(c) A hard boiled egg.
(d) The globe of an eye.
4. What does the narrator say about the time following Simone's accident?
(a) It was boring.
(b) It was miserable.
(c) It was chaotic.
(d) It was calm.
5. What does Simone do following her violent spasms?
(a) Cuddles with Sir Edmond.
(b) Stares into space.
(c) Falls asleep.
(d) Cuddles with the narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator call "Astral sperm and heavenly urine"?
2. How would the narrator start again with Marcelle?
3. What does the narrator admit is his fault?
4. What does Simone ask Sir Edmond to do for her?
5. What happens when the narrator first tries to kiss Marcelle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens to Simone as she attempts to masturbate on the bicycle, and the narrator's initial reaction.
2. What does the confusion between the cardinal and the narrator on the part of Marcelle seem to show?
3. What tradition does Sir Edmond tell Simone of, and what is her response?
4. What does the narrator believe is the goal of his own lack of moral discipline?
5. Explain the change in Simone following the death of Marcelle.
6. Why does the narrator claim the universe seems decent to some, and why they fear lewdness?
7. Explain how the death of Granero occurs, and the result of his death in terms of his eye.
8. In Chapter 6, the author purposefully italicizes the words "wide eyes" and "white eggs". What is the significance of this?
9. Based on the narrator's claims at the end of Chapter 6, what does the episode with eggs indicate about the future of the characters?
10. Describe the sexual fantasy of Simone and the narrator about Marcelle in Chapter 6.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)