|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the couple notice once they scale the wall?
(a) Someone walking along the grounds.
(b) Someone hanging a sheet out a window.
(c) Someone screaming.
(d) Someone hanging from a tree.
2. What does Simone do to her mother when she discovers them in the barn in Chapter 2?
(a) Ignores her.
(b) Yells at her.
(c) Asks her to join.
(d) Urinates on her.
3. What does Simone do with these objects?
(a) Paints them.
(b) Eats them.
(c) Stares at them.
(d) Breaks them.
4. What happened to Simone's clothing?
(a) She tore it on the window.
(b) She threw it in the river.
(c) The wind blew away her dress.
(d) She can't remember.
5. Where does Simone first urinate on the narrator?
(a) In the barn.
(b) In the parlor.
(c) On top of a cliff.
(d) At the site of the accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the couple do when a person arrives during their sexual play?
2. What does the narrator do as he orgasms?
3. Who was the woman the narrator saw come out of the building?
4. What does the narrator note he is frightened of?
5. Where is Marcelle confined?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the mother's first encounter with the couple in their actions, and her reaction, as well as their reaction to the mother.
2. Explain what the narrator does after fleeing the orgy and before seeking Simone.
3. How do the parents find out about the orgy, and what do the parents do when they discover what has occurred?
4. What contrasting image does the author give between Simone and Marcelle at the end of Chapter 4? What else could this comparison represent?
5. What does the couple see almost immediately after entering the sanitarium grounds, and how do they know this indicates Marcelle is involved?
6. Explain why, despite being modest, Simone and the narrator have the relationship they have?
7. Explain the narrator's trip through the sanitarium.
8. In Chapter 3, the narrator contemplates suicide. Explain why, and what happens to change his mind.
9. How does the narrator avoid police capture in Chapter 3 and how is this possible?
10. How is the violence of the thunderstorm linked to the violence of the actions of Simone and the narrator in Chapter 1?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)