|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does the narrator take from his parents' home?
(a) A comb.
(b) A knife.
(c) A toothbrush.
(d) A revolver.
2. What does the couple imagine Marcelle doing at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Jumping from a window.
(b) Hanging herself.
(c) Dying in a car accident.
3. What does the couple invite Marcelle to?
(a) A movie.
(b) A tea party.
(c) A dance.
(d) A social hour.
4. Why do the narrator and Simone not have sex?
(a) They are afraid.
(b) They feel they can't without Marcelle present.
(c) They are waiting until they marry.
(d) They wish to remain pure.
5. What does the couple do throughout the evening that is unusual for them?
(b) Stay awake.
(c) Make love.
(d) Sleep separately.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins the couple in the latter part of Chapter 1?
2. What does Simone do when she wins the bet?
3. What do the couple hit in their car that causes them to reflect on their relationship?
4. How does the narrator access the inside of the building?
5. What does the couple see when they look up at Marcelle's window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Marcelle after the orgy? How does the couple discover what has happened to Marcelle? What do they think of doing to help her?
2. What happens when the narrator finds Simone, and what is the accidental result that rises Marcelle from her room?
3. Explain what happens to Marcelle in Chapter 1.
4. In Chapter 3, the narrator contemplates suicide. Explain why, and what happens to change his mind.
5. Explain what Simone does with the saucer of milk in the first chapter.
6. How does the narrator equate sex and violence?
7. Explain what Marcelle does during the orgy, and once the narrator lets her go.
8. What does the narrator explain causes his and Simone's sexual dream to turn in to a nightmare?
9. Explain what the narrator does after fleeing the orgy and before seeking Simone.
10. Explain what the narrator thinks as he chases down the unknown naked woman, and the reality of who the woman is.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)