|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marcelle do when she sees the couple?
(a) Pretends she doesn't see them.
(b) Walks away.
(d) Smiles and waves.
2. What does the couple imagine Marcelle doing at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Dying in a car accident.
(b) Hanging herself.
(c) Jumping from a window.
3. What does the couple do throughout the evening that is unusual for them?
(a) Sleep separately.
(c) Make love.
(d) Stay awake.
4. What does the narrator threaten in a note to his mother?
(a) To turn his brother in.
(b) To run away.
(c) Disclosure of family secrets.
5. Where does the couple go at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The sanitarium.
(b) Marcelle's home.
(c) The prison.
(d) The hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the couple travel in Chapter 4?
2. When does Simone have her first orgasm with the narrator?
3. What does the narrator suggest he is going to do to the woman when he catches her?
4. How does Simone know the narrator has stayed up late?
5. What does the narrator note is a bizarre feeling as he runs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens to Marcelle in Chapter 1.
2. What does Simone develop an urge to do with eggs at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. Explain what Marcelle does during the orgy, and once the narrator lets her go.
4. How does the narrator explain Marcelle's features as she gazes at the ocean?
5. In Chapter 3, the narrator contemplates suicide. Explain why, and what happens to change his mind.
6. What does the narrator explain causes his and Simone's sexual dream to turn in to a nightmare?
7. Explain what Simone does with the saucer of milk in the first chapter.
8. Explain what the narrator does after fleeing the orgy and before seeking Simone.
9. How does the narrator equate sex and violence?
10. How do the parents find out about the orgy, and what do the parents do when they discover what has occurred?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)