|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator compare his father to?
(a) A cardinal.
(b) A police officer.
(c) An angry god.
(d) A senile Catholic general.
2. What does the narrator dare Simone to do in Chapter 1?
(a) Go outside nude.
(b) Sit in the saucer.
(c) Kiss him.
(d) Have sex with him.
3. Why does the narrator run from the building?
(a) He sees a dead body.
(b) A guard finds him.
(c) He cannot locate Marcelle.
(d) Simone screams.
4. Why does Simone claim she removed her clothing?
(a) To excite Marcelle.
(b) To feel more free.
(c) To be less obvious.
(d) To excite herself.
5. What does Simone smear herself with at the end of Chapter 1?
6. What effect does the sight of the wet sheet have on the couple?
(a) They begin to cry.
(b) They run in terror.
(c) They scream.
(d) They laugh.
7. What do the couple hit in their car that causes them to reflect on their relationship?
(a) A bicyclist.
(b) A small child.
(c) Another vehicle.
(d) An animal.
8. What does the narrator note about the colors of the girls' stockings?
(a) They are both black.
(b) They are both white.
(c) Simone's are black, while Marcelle's are white.
(d) Marcelle's are black, while Simone's are white.
9. What smells linger in the room?
(a) Blood, sperm, urine, and vomit.
(b) Salt and food.
(c) Beer, wine, urine, and salt.
(d) Wine and food.
10. What does the couple do throughout the evening that is unusual for them?
(a) Stay awake.
(b) Sleep separately.
(d) Make love.
11. What does Marcelle ask to do following the bet?
(a) To eat something.
(b) To kiss Simone.
(c) To leave.
(d) To have a drink.
12. Why are the servants loyal to Simone?
(a) They are bribed.
(b) They think of her as family.
(c) They believe she is pure.
(d) They adore her.
13. What heightens the couple's sexuality at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) The fear of being caught.
(b) The dawn.
(c) A thunderstorm.
(d) A car crash.
14. Why do the narrator and Simone not have sex?
(a) They wish to remain pure.
(b) They are waiting until they marry.
(c) They feel they can't without Marcelle present.
(d) They are afraid.
15. What object does Simone become obsessed with in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator note is a bizarre feeling as he runs?
2. What does Simone do with these objects?
3. What does the couple see on a sheet in a window?
4. What does Simone ask one young boy to do?
5. What does the narrator threaten in a note to his mother?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)