|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Simone smear herself with at the end of Chapter 1?
2. Why do the narrator and Simone not have sex?
(a) They feel they can't without Marcelle present.
(b) They are waiting until they marry.
(c) They wish to remain pure.
(d) They are afraid.
3. What do the couple hit in their car that causes them to reflect on their relationship?
(a) A bicyclist.
(b) Another vehicle.
(c) An animal.
(d) A small child.
4. What does the narrator threaten in a note to his mother?
(a) To turn his brother in.
(b) Disclosure of family secrets.
(c) To run away.
5. Why does the narrator run from the building?
(a) Simone screams.
(b) He sees a dead body.
(c) A guard finds him.
(d) He cannot locate Marcelle.
6. What brings the parents to the room at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) The children's laughter.
(b) The yelling of Simone.
(c) The breaking of a window.
(d) Marcelle's screams.
7. What does the narrator suggest he is going to do to the woman when he catches her?
(a) Turn her over to police.
(b) Kidnap her.
(c) Rape her.
(d) Kill her.
8. What causes the narrator to have a violent orgasm?
(a) The storm.
(b) A combination of Simone, the storm, and the gun.
(c) The gun.
9. Why does Simone claim she removed her clothing?
(a) To excite Marcelle.
(b) To be less obvious.
(c) To excite herself.
(d) To feel more free.
10. What does the narrator do shortly upon entering?
(a) Removes his pants.
(b) Shoots at a shadow.
(c) Runs into Simone.
(d) Stumbles on a body.
11. What does Marcelle do when she returns to the room?
(b) Recoils in horror.
(d) Joins in.
12. What does the narrator blame for he and Simone's actions?
(a) A desire to defy modesty.
(c) A lack of modesty.
(d) A lack of respect for others.
13. Where does the couple go at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Marcelle's home.
(b) The sanitarium.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The prison.
14. What does the narrator contemplate doing in Chapter 3?
(a) Raping Simone.
(b) Killing his parents.
(c) Committing suicide.
(d) Killing Simone.
15. Where is Marcelle confined?
(a) In a mental institution.
(b) At home.
(c) In a hospital.
(d) In jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator see when he looks back after fleeing the building?
2. What happened to Simone's clothing?
3. Who joins the couple in the latter part of Chapter 1?
4. What happens when Simone gently kicks the narrator in Chapter 3?
5. What does the couple invite Marcelle to?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)