|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Deanna cry a little?
2. Where does Jason invite Deanna?
3. When is Deanna to meet up with Jason?
4. What does Jason suggest Deanna do after they kiss?
5. What does Deanna think about when April is fussing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Deanna relieved when she calls Jason to tell him about Stacy?
2. How does Deanna miss an opportunity to close the gap between her and her father?
3. What is Tommy's response to Deanna's "melt-down"?
4. What does Darren learn when he calls Stacy's family?
5. Describe the situation that interrupts Deanna's questioning of Jason about her time with Tommy.
6. What do Deanna and Darren do together that evening?
7. How does Deanna comfort Stacy when Stacy talks about Stacy's recent running away?
8. What happens between Darren and Deanna as he is getting April ready to go search for Stacy?
9. What do Darren and Deanna discuss concerning Stacy and April?
10. What does the note found in Stacy's car say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Story of a Girl. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Story of a Girl. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of honesty in Story of a Girl. How has dishonesty hurt Deanna's life? What about other characters? How does honesty help Deanna's life? Has dishonesty played a part in Deanna's problems? How does dishonesty hurt Deanna and her father's relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Story of a Girl and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Story of a Girl is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Deanna and Darren. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Deanna and Lee. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Story of a Girl help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)