|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose pornography does Deanna supposedly view?
2. How does Stacy describe Darren as a brother?
3. What does Deanna remember as the first time she felt drawn to Tommy?
4. What does Michael offer to do for Deanna at work?
5. What is one thing Deanna says her brother and father have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long has it been that Deanna's father has not really spoken or looked at her?
2. How does Deanna's surfer girl stories become journal entries?
3. What does Deanna's mother want to do on Sunday morning?
4. How does Deanna describe Darren?
5. How do Stacy and Jason react to Deanna's dream of moving out of home with Stacy and Darren?
6. What does Deanna write in her journal after Tommy invited her to do something with him?
7. How does Deanna transform her experience with Tommy?
8. Who is April and how do Darren and Stacy support her and where do Darren and Stacy live?
9. What argument does Deanna overhear?
10. What does Deanna discover when she arrives at work and how does her boss offer his support?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Story of a Girl based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Story of a Girl is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Story of a Girl a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Story of a Girl belongs to the young teen novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young teen novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young teen novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)