|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as overweight but friendly?
2. What shocks Deanna when she arrives to work?
3. Whose pornography does Deanna supposedly view?
4. How does Jason take the news that Stacy knows about Deanna's plan to live with her and Darren?
5. What do Deanna and Lee do later in the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Deanna on the last day of school three years after the incident with Tommy?
2. How do Deanna and Lee become friends?
3. How does Deanna's surfer girl stories become journal entries?
4. What does Deanna write in her journal after Tommy invited her to do something with him?
5. Who is April and how do Darren and Stacy support her and where do Darren and Stacy live?
6. How do Stacy and Jason react to Deanna's dream of moving out of home with Stacy and Darren?
7. What does Deanna discover when she arrives at work and how does her boss offer his support?
8. What does Deanna say about April and what is Deanna's fantasy concerning April and April's parents?
9. What happens with Deanna when she is thirteen?
10. How does Deanna transform her experience with Tommy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Story of a Girl based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Story of a Girl is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Story of a Girl a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Sara Zarr.
2. What in Zarr's background may have helped her in writing Story of a Girl? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes Story of a Girl interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Deanna. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Deanna's father. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Tommy. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)