|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bonnie major in in college?
2. What does Augustine tell Skink about how he views the way he feels about Bonnie?
3. Why do Neria and the professor take Celeste along with them to Florida?
4. How does Bonnie feel about going back to New York with Max?
5. How is Avila saved from the crucifixion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Skink, Augustine and Carl Hiaasen view the president's visit to Miami?
2. How does Avila come to believe even more deeply in the Chango?
3. What can one imagine is on the piece of paper that Jim leaves with Skink? What does Jim expect that Skink will do with what is on the paper?
4. Why don't Skink and Augustine storm Tony's house now that they have found it?
5. How is Dennis Reedy naive?
6. Once again, how does Avila seem to be the "saved one" after he goes to Paradise Palms to confront Snapper in Chapter 26?
7. What absurd thoughts does Fred have concerning Edie upon his return to Tony's house in Chapter 24?
8. How does tension build in the ride in the Jeep on the way to The Keys?
9. Why does Bonnie continue to stay in Florida with Augustine and Skink?
10. What emotions do Augustine and Bonnie feel after their night together? Why do they feel the way they do for each emotion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Max typical of a city dweller business executive? How is he not? How does his attitude affect the decisions that he makes? How do his decisions affect the lives of others?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Skink both lovable and hateful to the reader? Can the reader resolve this issue within himself? Why or why not? Does this make him a round, dynamic character? Does Skink change throughout the novel or does he stay true to himself?
Essay Topic 3
What does Bonnie discover about herself after the hurricane and how does she resolve this issue by the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,427 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)