|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Max asks Skink in Chapter 6 what will happen to him next, what does Skink respond?
2. Why does Bonnie Lamb call Peter Archibald?
3. What is Clinton Tyree's nickname?
4. Where does Edie say she is going to go with her seventy grand?
5. What is Snapper's part in the roof scam with Avila?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Snapper become the criminal that he is?
2. Though Ira Jackson has every right to want justice for his mother's death, his sense of justice is twisted. Why is Ira's idea of justice wrong and how is his execution of it immoral?
3. The plot thickens as the reader discovers the depth that Edie and Snapper will go to in order to make money. What is their plan and how do they execute it?
4. How is the character of Avila brought further to light by showing his bad character traits?
5. In what way have common household items become weapons of violence?
6. Though shown as a kidnapper and torturer, Skink appears to be an ethical man. How so?
7. How is the author being satirical in the characterization of Tony Torres?
8. How do the characters introduced in Chapter 1 differ from each other?
9. In what way is Edie shown as a round character?
10. How does the political system ruin Clinton Tyree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What can the reader infer about the way that the author feels about Florida? Is the novel an attempt to bring out the author's feelings? Might it be an attempt to bring to light issues that he wants others to face? Can a novel such as this change the way society looks at issues?
Essay Topic 2
What does Bonnie discover about herself after the hurricane and how does she resolve this issue by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't Max attempt to run away from his abductor? What is the Stockholm Syndrome and how does it apply to Max?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)