|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Skink give as the reason that he abducted Max?
2. What/Who attacks Max's face?
3. What do Edie and Snapper bring with them to Tony's house?
4. Where do Edie and Snapper wait out the storm?
5. What does Tony make Snapper and Edie explain to him once he brings them in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way have common household items become weapons of violence?
2. How does Jim Tile come to bring the news to Bonnie that Skink has abducted Max?
3. How is Edie a resourceful woman?
4. How does the structure of Chapter 1 differ from a standard novel?
5. How does the way in which Tony treats Edie in Chapter 6 make the ending of the chapter more satisfactory to the reader?
6. How does Edie and Snapper's plan surprise the reader now that it is revealed in their conversation with Tony in Chapter 4?
7. Bonnie wonders at the end of the Chapter 11 if Max is different now. How is he different?
8. What insight does Augustine have concerning Skink that Max does not?
9. How is the author being satirical in the characterization of Tony Torres?
10. The plot thickens as the reader discovers the depth that Edie and Snapper will go to in order to make money. What is their plan and how do they execute it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the internal conflicts of Augustine, Snapper, Edie and Skink? Are they ever resolved?
Essay Topic 2
What does Bonnie discover about herself after the hurricane and how does she resolve this issue by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is Max typical of a city dweller business executive? How is he not? How does his attitude affect the decisions that he makes? How do his decisions affect the lives of others?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)