|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Augustine take Bonnie for the night after their search for Max fails?
2. What surprising fact does the reader learn about Skink from Jim?
3. Where is Tony sitting when Snapper and Edie arrive back at his house the next day?
4. What is the boy doing when Max videotapes him?
5. What does Tony make Snapper and Edie explain to him once he brings them in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though Ira Jackson has every right to want justice for his mother's death, his sense of justice is twisted. Why is Ira's idea of justice wrong and how is his execution of it immoral?
2. How is Max possibly misreading Skink?
3. How does Snapper become the criminal that he is?
4. How do the characters introduced in Chapter 1 differ from each other?
5. Even though the author introduces new characters, he continues to tie in the ones that the reader has already met. How are the characters intertwining in Chapter 3?
6. What misconceptions is Max beginning to believe about Skink in Chapter 6?
7. How do Bonnie's responses to Augustine show that she has feelings for her husband and an understanding of who he is?
8. Though the reader never really meets Avila, much can be said about his character through indirect characterization. What type of character is he?
9. How does Edie and Snapper's plan surprise the reader now that it is revealed in their conversation with Tony in Chapter 4?
10. In what way have common household items become weapons of violence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the novel satirical? Using specific instances, point out the satire and explain what the author is using it for.
Essay Topic 2
How is Avila's need to hold sacrificial ceremonies black humor? Note specific places in the novel that show this humor. What is the author trying to tell the reader through these rituals?
Essay Topic 3
What are the external conflicts of Edie, Fred, Jim and Bonnie? Are these conflicts resolved?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)