|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jim know that Skink has Max?
(a) Bonnie gets a phone call from Max.
(b) He gets a phone call from Skink.
(c) Jim sees them together.
(d) He recognizes his voice on the tape.
2. Why have Edie and Snapper chosen a house in a neighborhood that the hurricane hit?
(a) To make a fraudulent insurance claim.
(b) To rescue animals.
(c) To seek out victims.
(d) To steal whatever they can find.
3. What happens to the rope on the bridge at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) It has snapped in the storm.
(b) It has been cut.
(c) It still holds the one-eyed man.
(d) It has fallen into the water.
4. Why is Edie annoyed with the insurance man when he returns the next night in Chapter 11?
(a) He won't get her a hotel room.
(b) He is acting as though they have a romance going on.
(c) He answers the door when someone knocks.
(d) He drinks all of the wine.
5. Why is the one-eyed man angry with Jack and Webo?
(a) They threw beer cans out the window of the car.
(b) They have thrown cans into the water.
(c) They have stopped their car on the highway.
(d) They ran over a squirrel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augustine do after he hears Max on the answering machine?
2. How does Ira Jackson get Avila's address from the clerk?
3. When Max asks Skink in Chapter 6 what will happen to him next, what does Skink respond?
4. What does Snapper do to the female police officer who pulled him over?
5. Where is Tony sitting when Snapper and Edie arrive back at his house the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What insight does Augustine have concerning Skink that Max does not?
2. How is the character of Avila brought further to light by showing his bad character traits?
3. What does the reader learn of Augustine's background that leads to him being a more dynamic character?
4. Though shown as a kidnapper and torturer, Skink appears to be an ethical man. How so?
5. What conversation do Bonnie and Augustine share that makes it seem as though the two are becoming close?
6. Though Ira Jackson has every right to be angry over the death of his mother, he is no saint himself and perhaps should not be judging Tony so harshly. What indicators has the author given the reader to show that Jackson is not an upstanding character?
7. How does the way in which Tony treats Edie in Chapter 6 make the ending of the chapter more satisfactory to the reader?
8. How does the weather create conflict in Chapter 1?
9. How is Max possibly misreading Skink?
10. How does the political system ruin Clinton Tyree?
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)