|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dr. Booker ask C.J. to do during a cholera epidemic?
2. Where do Clabe and his family live?
3. Why is Dillon making a banjo?
4. What does Rondal recite one time from school when C.J. visits?
5. Where has Rondal moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carrie say she first remembers about Ben Honaker and her sister?
2. What happens at a club meeting when the men are debating World War I?
3. What does Rondal do when he visits C.J. and how does that help his family?
4. Who is unhappy about Flora's wedding, why is she, what does she tell Flora and what is Carrie's response to that to Flora?
5. What does Rondal do on his first day in the mines and how does he feel at the end of the day?
6. What does C.J. realize about Rondal and what does he do about it? How does Rondal respond?
7. What does Miles find out about Lloyd, why does he leave Miles' mine and what does Carrie ask him before he leaves?
8. What are the railroad companies doing to the farmers and how do the get it done?
9. What do the club members discover when they arrive back home and what do they do in response?
10. What is the medical situation for black coal miners, how does Dr. Booker get medicine for a cholera epidemic and what does Booker show C.J. about black coal miners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the miners march toward Blair Mountain, their number grows; the more they grow, the more they feel certain of their success. This anticipated success leads the striking miners to commit acts that they would not have the strength to perform individually.
1. How do the miners demonstrate the power of a crowd?
2. There are also examples of the power of an individual in the book. What were two of them?
3. Do you think Rondal's reaction to the canceling of the march appropriate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The miners seem to be imprisoned by poverty.
1. Do you think then miners are truly "imprisoned" by poverty? Why or why not?
2. Discuss ways in which you think the miners could break out of the prison of poverty.
3. Why do you think it is so hard to move out of poverty either then or now? What do you think it takes to move from poverty to plenty or even great wealth?
4. Is your personality such that you think you would be one of the few who do manage to break out of poverty is you were very poor? Explain how you might differ from the miners.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Storming Heaven based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Up at the Villa is a successful novel.
3. Is Storming Heaven a novel you would recommend to a friend? Why or why not? Explain.
4. Can a novel be successful and yet many readers not enjoy it? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)