|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ermel's keeping his land affect his fortunes?
2. What job does Isom assume?
3. Who does C.J. marry in 1901?
4. What does Rondal say about C.J. and Booker in relation to miners?
5. Why do Talcott and Pricie elope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miles tell his father is a good way to make money, what is his father's response and why did Miles end up feeling guilty about the whole idea?
2. What happens to C.J.'s grandfather, why is C.J. named what he is named? What happens to C.J.'s grandfather and then to C.J. and his grandmother?
3. What does Miles find out about Lloyd, why does he leave Miles' mine and what does Carrie ask him before he leaves?
4. What does C.J. find out about Rondal in a letter from him and how does he feel about the information?
5. What do the club members discover when they arrive back home and what do they do in response?
6. From Clabe's stories to Rondal how has the family land changed and what does Clabe and his family do on Sundays?
7. What does Carrie do after nursing school and where does she live?
8. Who is unhappy about Flora's wedding, why is she, what does she tell Flora and what is Carrie's response to that to Flora?
9. What happens to Johnson and why does Rondal leave town?
10. What does Rondal think his father refers to when he talks about the snake and where does most of Clabe's earnings go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of themes in Storming Heaven. Discuss one of the following:
1. Choose two major themes and analyze them and discuss examples of where that theme appears in the text.
2. Compare and contrast two major themes in the novel to those themes found in other texts/movies with which you are familiar.
3. Other than class, which theme do you think is the major theme of the book? Discuss why and give example
Essay Topic 2
The farmers' lands are taken from them and the coal companies move in to virtually take over the area and the miners' lives, controlling their housing, food and how they can spend their money.
1. How do you think powerlessness engenders anger?
2. What are alternatives to anger to deal with powerlessness?
3. Do you believe the anger seen in the miners' lives is caused by their powerlessness? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Rowley Flint with Edgar Swift. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they sympathetic characters? Who would you most likely have as a friend? Why? Is each one believable? Why or why not.
2. Compare/contrast Rowley Flint with Karl Richter. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they sympathetic characters? Who would you most likely have as a friend? Why? Is each one believable? Why or why not.
3. Compare/contrast Mary as she seems early in the book and in her flashbacks to how Mary is by the end of the book. Is she the same? Different? Wiser? More or less daring? Is she likable? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)