|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Talcott work?
2. Why does Miles join an Episcopal Church?
3. Why is Carrie upset with Lloyd?
4. What are the railroad companies doing to the farmers?
5. What is Rondal's mother's goal for Kerwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rondal do on his first day in the mines and how does he feel at the end of the day?
2. What do Rondal and C.J. argue about and what does Rondal tell C.J. about the miners?
3. Describe how Albion came to stay at Carrie's house?
4. How do the club members get out of jail?
5. From Clabe's stories to Rondal how has the family land changed and what does Clabe and his family do on Sundays?
6. What is the medical situation for black coal miners, how does Dr. Booker get medicine for a cholera epidemic and what does Booker show C.J. about black coal miners?
7. What does Carrie say she first remembers about Ben Honaker and her sister?
8. Who is unhappy about Flora's wedding, why is she, what does she tell Flora and what is Carrie's response to that to Flora?
9. What happens to C.J.'s grandfather, why is C.J. named what he is named? What happens to C.J.'s grandfather and then to C.J. and his grandmother?
10. What do Carrie and Lloyd do after having dinner at Miles' house, what does Lloyd tell Carrie the next day and what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Setting as far as place and time play an important role in Storming Heaven, if compared to twenty-first century's social mores. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast several aspects of the setting of that day from how it would be today. Consider things such as cultural norms/expectations, technology, religion and medicine.
2. Do you think Storming Heaven would be different if it were set in another country in that same era? Consider particularly class issues.
3. What issues that are present in the time of Storming Heaven would still be issues today? What would no longer be issues? Consider such things as class, women's roles, sexual freedom, propriety and manners, and integrity, and labor laws.
Essay Topic 2
There is a growing gap between the positions of the two camps involved in the growing conflict - the miners and the Company's representatives.
1. Why do you think the mine owners are unwilling to listen to the miners?
2. Do you think the miners are demanding too much from the mine owners? Why or why not?
3. If you were a negotiator between these two groups how would you attempt to forge an agreement?
Essay Topic 3
The miners seem to be imprisoned by poverty.
1. Do you think then miners are truly "imprisoned" by poverty? Why or why not?
2. Discuss ways in which you think the miners could break out of the prison of poverty.
3. Why do you think it is so hard to move out of poverty either then or now? What do you think it takes to move from poverty to plenty or even great wealth?
4. Is your personality such that you think you would be one of the few who do manage to break out of poverty is you were very poor? Explain how you might differ from the miners.
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)