|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Dozmary Mine had been owned by the Dozmary family for how many generations?
2. Who enters and unlocks Alex's handcuffs in Chapter 14, "Deep Water"?
3. Alex gets tricked into falling into the aquarium with the jellyfish by whom in Chapter 14, "Deep Water"?
4. Who awakens Alex in the beginning of Chapter 10, "Death in the Long Grass"?
5. What does Sayle say his butler will be serving for lunch tomorrow in Chapter 9, "Night Visitors"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alex escape entrapment and certain death in Chapter 14, "Deep Water"?
2. How does the book found by Alex relate to his uncle's diagram, as discovered in Chapter 11, "Dozmary Mine"?
3. What does Alex discover outside the store room in Chapter 12, "Behind the Door"?
4. What reward does Alex receive in Chapter 17, "Yassen"? How does he encounter Sayle in the end of the novel?
5. Where does Alex go to search for information in Chapter 11, "Dozmary Mine"? What does he discovery about his uncle's inquiries?
6. What book does Alex discover which leads to more clues in Chapter 11, "Dozmary Mine"?
7. What is problematic about Mr. Sayle's revenge motivation in Chapter 13, "The School Bully"?
8. How does Alex escape his assailants in Chapter 10, "Death in the Long Grass"?
9. What foreshadowing is revealed in Chapter 10, "Death in the Long Grass"? How does this chapter build suspense in the narrative?
10. How does Alex effectively board the plane in Chapter 15, "Eleven O'Clock"? Who does he find piloting it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Nadia Vole in the narrative. How is Ms. Vole described by the narrator? How does Alex feel about her?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the transition from exposition to rising action in "Stormbreaker". Where does this shift take place? Whose actions drive the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Royal and General and analyze the character of Mr. Crawley in the narrative. Where is Mr. Crawley's office located?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)