|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anthony Horowitz is the creator and writer of what television series?
2. What is the bet that Sayle and Alex make in Chapter 9, "Night Visitors"?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 13, "The School Bully," Alex has spent the night handcuffed to what?
4. Alex estimates his walk to Port Tallon to be how far from Sayle Enterprises in Chapter 10, "Death in the Long Grass"?
5. The boxes which are loaded in the back of the truck are about the size of what in Alex's estimation in Chapter 9, "Night Visitors"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yassen Gregorovich do when a worker drops one of the metal boxes in Chapter 9, "Night Visitors"?
2. What foreshadowing is revealed in Chapter 10, "Death in the Long Grass"? How does this chapter build suspense in the narrative?
3. How does Alex escape the security guard in Chapter 12, "Behind the Door"? Who eventually traps Alex?
4. Where does Alex find himself in the beginning of Chapter 13, "The School Bully"? What does Mr. Sayle reveal about the computers to Alex?
5. What book does Alex discover which leads to more clues in Chapter 11, "Dozmary Mine"?
6. How does the book found by Alex relate to his uncle's diagram, as discovered in Chapter 11, "Dozmary Mine"?
7. How does Alex attempt to enter the mine in Chapter 11, "Dozmary Mine"?
8. How does Alex escape the Sayle estate in Chapter 15, "Eleven O'Clock"? What weapon does he gain?
9. Who assists in saving Alex's life in the end of "Stormbreaker"? Why?
10. What is problematic about Mr. Sayle's revenge motivation in Chapter 13, "The School Bully"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and analyze the narrative style of the novel. In what person and tense is the narrative written? Is the perspective of the narrator limited or omniscient?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Blunt and Mr. Crawley in the narrative. How does Alex feel about each of these characters and why?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the transition from exposition to rising action in "Stormbreaker". Where does this shift take place? Whose actions drive the plot?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)