|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alex tell Herod Sayle is his favorite soccer team in Chapter 7, "Physalia Physalia"?
2. What is the title of the last file from Ian Rider's desk that Alex opens in Chapter 3, "Royal and General"?
3. What was Mr. Sayle's butler's occupation, before he became a butler?
4. The author writes that when the doorbell rings at what time, it is never a good sign in Chapter 1, "Funeral Voices"?
5. What is the title of the first file Alex opens from Ian Rider's desk in Chapter 3, "Royal and General"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was "Stormbreaker" published? Of what popular series is the novel a part? When was the novel adapted to film?
2. What does Alex go in search of after returning to school in Chapter 2, "Heaven for Cars"?
3. What do Alex and Jack discover at their home after the funeral in Chapter 1, "Funeral Voices"?
4. What encounter does Alex have with Wolf during parachute training in Chapter 6, "Toys Aren't Us"?
5. How is the protagonist introduced in Chapter 1, "Funeral Voices"? What central conflict is introduced in the beginning of the first chapter?
6. Who does Mrs. Jones bring to meet with Alex after his training is complete in Chapter 6, "Toys Aren't Us"? What devices are given to Alex?
7. What mission is proposed to Alex in Chapter 4, "So What Do You Say?" What is Alex's response?
8. What proposition is posed to Alex in Chapter 4, "So What Do You Say?" Why?
9. What does Mrs. Jones reveal to Alex regarding Yassen Gregorovich in Chapter 6, "Toys Aren't Us"?
10. Who is accompanied by Mr. Blunt in Chapter 4, "So What Do You Say?" What information does Alex learn about his uncle in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss foreshadowing in Chapter 1, "Funeral Voices." What central conflict does Alex face in the beginning of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the transition from exposition to rising action in "Stormbreaker". Where does this shift take place? Whose actions drive the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Royal and General and analyze the character of Mr. Crawley in the narrative. Where is Mr. Crawley's office located?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)