|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maureen wear in her hair when Stanley comes to visit?
2. With whom has Maureen most recently been involved?
3. What is Judith's profession in "Our Friend Judith"?
4. What type of job does Jack take after his father's death?
5. What is the level of communication Hetty has with her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Maureen and Stanley seem to have in common?
2. What is the premise of "The Temptation of Jack Orkney"?
3. Why does Susan fabricate having a lover?
4. What are Tony Head's drawbacks according to Maureen?
5. What does Jack do with his life after the death of his father?
6. What was life like for Matthew and Susan Rawlings prior to their marriage?
7. What is the premise of "Our Friend Judith"?
8. What was Jack's former profession?
9. What drives Hetty to living a life alone on the streets?
10. What could be the double meanings for the title, "Between Men"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the stories. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Susan Rawlings from "To Room Nineteen". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Susan?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the stories and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)