|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Judith's profession in "Our Friend Judith"?
2. Where does Susan take a walking holiday?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe Hetty?
4. Who is the husband of the woman in #101?
5. Why does Hetty spend a lot of time in the streets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "The Temptation of Jack Orkney"?
2. What do Maureen and Stanley seem to have in common?
3. Why does Susan consider leaving a note for the coroner before she dies?
4. What seems to be missing from Matthew and Susan's life as their marriage extends?
5. What does Catherine learn from Isaac Babel?
6. What is the premise of "Our Friend Judith"?
7. How do Maureen and Peggy determine to move forward with their lives in "Between Men"?
8. What could be the double meanings for the title, "Between Men"?
9. What was life like for Matthew and Susan Rawlings prior to their marriage?
10. What is Maureen's father's perspective on Maureen's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rose in "The Other Woman". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rose?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in England in the mid-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)