|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maureen want to show to the woman in #101?
2. What revives Hetty enough that she thinks she might live through the winter?
3. What does Hetty use to move her belongings?
4. What makes Catherine cry during the visit?
5. Where does Susan take a walking holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jack's former profession?
2. What is the premise of "Homage for Isaac Babel"?
3. Describe Hetty's existence as a homeless woman with no family.
4. What is the premise of "A Room"?
5. What is the premise of "An Old Woman and Her Cat"?
6. What is the premise of "England Versus England"?
7. What happens in the story after Hetty's death?
8. What is the premise of "Our Friend Judith"?
9. What does the potter symbolize in "Two Potters"?
10. How do Maureen and Peggy determine to move forward with their lives in "Between Men"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Lessing's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her stories? What is the most appealing aspect of Lessing's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Rose in "The Other Woman". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rose?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Susan Rawlings from "To Room Nineteen". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Susan?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)