|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author says that she is always ____________________.
2. Who takes the woman's heart at the end of the story?
3. What is in the center of one of the paintings that Hamish and Mary view?
4. What do the men think happen to the woman when she does not appear on the roof one day?
5. In "A Man and Two Wome", where have Stella and her husband rented a cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "A Woman on the Roof"?
2. Why is George especially drawn to Bobby?
3. What angers George about the way Rose notifies him of her mother's death?
4. What is the premise of "The Day Stalin Died"?
5. What is the premise of "He"?
6. How does Jimmy blame Rose for his unhappiness?
7. How does Rose behave after she breaks her engagement to George?
8. How do Mary and Hamish view people differently?
9. What is the premise of "Wine"?
10. What does the woman in "How I Finally Lost My Heart" realize she is holding in her hands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Susan Rawlings from "To Room Nineteen". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Susan?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Hetty Pennefather in "An Old Woman and Her Cat". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Hetty?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)