|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does George propose marriage to?
2. How many men are working on a roof?
3. Who do Hamish and Mary meet during dinner one night?
4. Who is Rose's father?
5. Where do Hamish and Mary consider going for the balance of their vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Brooke in "The Witness" typical of Lessing's characters?
2. How does Jimmy blame Rose for his unhappiness?
3. What is the premise of "He"?
4. What does the woman in "How I Finally Lost My Heart" realize she is holding in her hands?
5. What is the premise of "The Day Stalin Died"?
6. Why are Mary and Hamish uncomfortable after their arrival in Germany?
7. What is the premise of "One off the Short List"?
8. What is the premise of "Pleasure"?
9. Why is "Through the Tunnel" a coming of age story?
10. What does George learn from his ex-wife about the cause of his divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Keyes end James Orkney's story on a note of hope for him or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship with his father? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in England in the mid-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Loss seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loss? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)