|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jerry in "Through the Tunnel"?
2. Why does Mr. Brooks in "The Witness" continue to work past retirement age?
3. What is Hamish's last name?
4. Who is the young woman that Mary meets while on vacation?
5. Who does George propose marriage to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "The Day Stalin Died"?
2. How does Rose behave after she breaks her engagement to George?
3. What angers George about the way Rose notifies him of her mother's death?
4. What does the woman in "How I Finally Lost My Heart" realize she is holding in her hands?
5. What does George ask of his ex-wife as he struggles with the physical pain of a break up?
6. What is the meaning of Rose's obsession with adopting Jill?
7. How is the story, "How I Lost My Heart", different from some of the other stories in the book?
8. How do Mary and Hamish view people differently?
9. What is the premise of "One off the Short List"?
10. What does George learn from his ex-wife about the cause of his divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the stories and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in England in the mid-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Susan and Matthew in "To Room Nineteen". What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Susan learn about the reality of her life with Matthew as opposed to the perceptions she had held for so long?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)