|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has become evident to George regarding Rose?
2. Where is the couple sitting in "Wine"?
3. In "The Woman" Herr Scholtz says that a woman had an affair with him ___________________.
4. What has the narrator done with her second lover today?
5. Why are Hamish and Mary uncomfortable on their vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "A Woman on the Roof"?
2. Why is "Through the Tunnel" a coming of age story?
3. What is the irony of the way Mary views Betty Clarke?
4. What is "The Eye of God in Paradise"?
5. What is the premise of "A Man and Two Women"?
6. What angers George about the way Rose notifies him of her mother's death?
7. How do George's fears about Rose canceling their wedding plans come true?
8. What is the significance of the author leaving the heart behind?
9. What does George learn from his ex-wife about the cause of his divorce?
10. What is the premise of "Pleasure"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Lessing's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her stories? What is the most appealing aspect of Lessing's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Does Keyes end James Orkney's story on a note of hope for him or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship with his father? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Rose in "The Other Woman". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rose?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)