|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in #44 request of Hamish and Mary?
2. What does the boy's mother buy for him to help him make the special dive?
3. What does the narrator say she can see in her hands as she meets a potential lover?
4. Why do Mary and her husband choose not to stay in their usual accommodations this year?
5. What has the narrator done with her second lover today?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the story, "How I Lost My Heart", different from some of the other stories in the book?
2. How do George's fears about Rose canceling their wedding plans come true?
3. What is the premise of "The Day Stalin Died"?
4. What angers George about the way Rose notifies him of her mother's death?
5. What is the premise of "A Man and Two Women"?
6. What does the woman in "How I Finally Lost My Heart" realize she is holding in her hands?
7. Why is George especially drawn to Bobby?
8. What does George ask of his ex-wife as he struggles with the physical pain of a break up?
9. What is the premise of "Wine"?
10. What is the premise of "A Woman on the Roof"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Rose in "The Other Woman". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rose?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Hetty Pennefather in "An Old Woman and Her Cat". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Hetty?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters in the stories who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)