|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary purchase during a layover in Paris?
2. What is the name of the resort town where the young couple is on vacation?
3. What drink does Annie's husband spill when he comes to see her?
4. What do the man and woman talk about in "Wine"?
5. In "A Man and Two Wome", where have Stella and her husband rented a cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the author leaving the heart behind?
2. What is the premise of "A Man and Two Women"?
3. How does Jimmy blame Rose for his unhappiness?
4. What does George ask of his ex-wife as he struggles with the physical pain of a break up?
5. How do Mary and Hamish view people differently?
6. What is the meaning of Rose's obsession with adopting Jill?
7. How does Rose behave after she breaks her engagement to George?
8. What is the premise of "Pleasure"?
9. How is Mr. Brooke in "The Witness" typical of Lessing's characters?
10. What is "The Eye of God in Paradise"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Susan and Matthew in "To Room Nineteen". What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Susan learn about the reality of her life with Matthew as opposed to the perceptions she had held for so long?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Hetty Pennefather in "An Old Woman and Her Cat". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Hetty?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)