|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the men approaches the woman on the last day of their rooftop job?
2. Who is the young woman that Mary meets while on vacation?
3. How does Rose's father die?
4. What does Mary purchase during a layover in Paris?
5. Who takes the woman's heart at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George learn from his ex-wife about the cause of his divorce?
2. How do George's fears about Rose canceling their wedding plans come true?
3. What is the irony of Jimmy calling Rose selfish?
4. How do Mary and Hamish view people differently?
5. What is the meaning of Rose's obsession with adopting Jill?
6. How does Rose behave after she breaks her engagement to George?
7. Why is George especially drawn to Bobby?
8. What is the premise of "A Man and Two Women"?
9. How is the story, "How I Lost My Heart", different from some of the other stories in the book?
10. What do Mary and Hamish suspect about Dr. Kroll?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Lessing's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her stories? What is the most appealing aspect of Lessing's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Several of Lessing's works are classic stories of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why do some of the stories fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the stories and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)