|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Hamish and Mary meet during dinner one night?
2. The author says that she is always ____________________.
3. Why do Mary and her husband choose not to stay in their usual accommodations this year?
4. What do the man and woman talk about in "Wine"?
5. Who is another woman that Jimmie starts seeing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "The Day Stalin Died"?
2. What is the irony of the way Mary views Betty Clarke?
3. How does Rose behave after she breaks her engagement to George?
4. What is the meaning of Rose's obsession with adopting Jill?
5. What is the premise of "Pleasure"?
6. Why are Mary and Hamish uncomfortable after their arrival in Germany?
7. What is Lessing's writing style in the majority of the stories?
8. What is the irony of Jimmy calling Rose selfish?
9. How does Jimmy blame Rose for his unhappiness?
10. How do Mary and Hamish view people differently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three characters from different stories and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Lessing's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her stories? What is the most appealing aspect of Lessing's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Rose in "The Other Woman". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Rose?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)