|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hetty make a living?
(b) Selling rags.
(c) Waiting tables.
(d) Playing guitar.
2. What news does Peggy have when she arrives at Maureen's?
(a) Tom has a new job.
(b) Tom is very ill.
(c) Tom is away on business.
(d) Tom is marrying another woman.
3. How many children do Susan and Matthew eventually have?
4. What has Hetty never had in her life?
(a) A holiday.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) A warm place.
(d) A full meal.
5. Jack's wife is studying for a degree in _________________.
(d) social work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Matthew work?
2. Why does Maureen want to call Peggy's husband?
3. Who is the maid at Susan and Matthew's home?
4. Maureen's mother had hoped that Maureen would become a/an _______________.
5. What profession does Susan declare her imaginary lover to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Maureen and Stanley seem to have in common?
2. What is Jack's relationship with his siblings?
3. How do Maureen and Shirley become friends in "Notes for a Case History"?
4. What does Catherine learn from Isaac Babel?
5. What are Tony Head's drawbacks according to Maureen?
6. What seems to be missing from Matthew and Susan's life as their marriage extends?
7. What happens in the story after Hetty's death?
8. What is the time period of "An Old Woman and Her Cat"?
9. What is Maureen's father's perspective on Maureen's life?
10. What does Jack's dream reveal to him?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)