|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jerry watches boys dive and then ___________________.
(a) go boating.
(b) float in the water.
(c) swim through a tunnel.
(d) go home.
2. What do the couple in "Wine" order while at the table?
(d) Cheese tray.
3. Who is the woman George has had an affair with for several years?
4. How does Rose notify George of her mother's death?
(a) She sends a letter.
(b) She sends a telegram.
(c) She calls him on the phone.
(d) She goes to his house.
5. What is Mary's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mary's husband in "Pleasure"?
2. Why is Annie mad at her former husband when he comes to see her?
3. Which one of the men approaches the woman on the last day of their rooftop job?
4. In what country is the young couple vacationing?
5. Mrs. Pearson says that she has been divorced from Jimmie for _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mary and Hamish suspect about Dr. Kroll?
2. How is Mr. Brooke in "The Witness" typical of Lessing's characters?
3. How do George's fears about Rose canceling their wedding plans come true?
4. What surprises Mary and Hamish about the Germans they encounter?
5. What is the premise of "Wine"?
6. What is the irony of the way Mary views Betty Clarke?
7. How does Jimmy blame Rose for his unhappiness?
8. What does George ask of his ex-wife as he struggles with the physical pain of a break up?
9. What is the premise of "The Day Stalin Died"?
10. How does Rose behave after she breaks her engagement to George?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)